Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

quepasa18 posted:

Where did you go? I leave next week for London, Paris and Dublin.
London (and a few smaller cities) to see friends; Paris to spend Christmas. I hate that the best French I can speak is "I would like...", which is to say that that is the only French I speak (and poorly at that), but even muddling through life like a blithering idiot is amazing when you're in Paris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I worked on Christmas for that fat government overtime plus I don't celebrate so gimme dem gubmint bennies

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I worked on Christmas for that fat government overtime plus I don't celebrate so gimme dem gubmint bennies

Jerks like you are the reason I woke up to four different emails from docketing telling me about new OAs.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Impressive, young padawan. Have you thought to harness this talent of yours and gain true power through the dark side?

Law has a light side?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Does anything ever actually get done in "that" kind of law or is it just stupid motions until one side runs out of money and settles?

That's about right. Motions and massive discovery projects/fights.

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007
I used to lurk in this thread a long, long time ago. Does Mookie still post here? Did he ever make partner? That dude used to be my favorite

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

I used to lurk in this thread a long, long time ago. Does Mookie still post here? Did he ever make partner? That dude used to be my favorite

I don't think he does post here anymore, but I just looked him up and it looks like he hasn't made partner to this point. I'm not certain he's at the point where he should have or that's a problem for him.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
So I'm probably going to get my PhD. Here's the kicker, not only will tuition likely be minimal or free but they'll pay ME to go.

It will delay my student loan repayment and allow me to continue to practice law.

Don't go to lawschool.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Roger_Mudd posted:

So I'm probably going to get my PhD. Here's the kicker, not only will tuition likely be minimal or free but they'll pay ME to go.

It will delay my student loan repayment and allow me to continue to practice law.

Don't go to lawschool.

Seriously. My mother is a prof in a stem field at a UC. They actually pay prospective Ph.d students airfare and hotel if they get to interviewing.
Now, admittedly, the tenure system these days is nearly as hosed up today as the partnership track, but at least you don't have six figures of debt just for the one degree.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Don't go to lawschool.

You are never going to sleep again

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

You are never going to sleep again

Like big law associates sleep.*

* Alcohol related blackouts are not sleep.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

nm posted:

Seriously. My mother is a prof in a stem field at a UC. They actually pay prospective Ph.d students airfare and hotel if they get to interviewing.
Now, admittedly, the tenure system these days is nearly as hosed up today as the partnership track, but at least you don't have six figures of debt just for the one degree.

My master's (in the humanities!) was fully-funded too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MaximumBob posted:

I don't think he does post here anymore, but I just looked him up and it looks like he hasn't made partner to this point. I'm not certain he's at the point where he should have or that's a problem for him.

Based on my extrapolations from his posts, he's probably in the beginning of the typical 3-year lookback period many firms use to decide partnership.

(I don't know his name or anything but I believe he's in his 6-7 year depending on clerking credit.)

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Based on my extrapolations from his posts, he's probably in the beginning of the typical 3-year lookback period many firms use to decide partnership.

(I don't know his name or anything but I believe he's in his 6-7 year depending on clerking credit.)

My read is that's where he is, but I've never worked at a firm, so I wasn't sure if that was the right period or not.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Roger_Mudd posted:

Don't go to lawschool.

Petey notwithstanding, humanities PhD's aren't funded nearly as often as they used to be so I'm guessing this is a STEM. If it is, good for you but you're going to have zero time for outside work (maybe in the first year or two but definitely not once you've got any kind of paper going.)

If it's a humanities thing I don't know but God have mercy on your soul

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Adar posted:

Petey notwithstanding, humanities PhD's aren't funded nearly as often as they used to be so I'm guessing this is a STEM. If it is, good for you but you're going to have zero time for outside work (maybe in the first year or two but definitely not once you've got any kind of paper going.)

If he's getting a fully funded humanities Ph.D more power to him. He may not be able to get a job, but at least no debt.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
At least he'll have more exciting business cards.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Adar posted:

Public Policy and Political Economy.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Public Policy and Political Economy.

Dibs on your divorce cases

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Oh god if only I had started Golden Tate :negative:

Good season guys.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

Jerks like you are the reason I woke up to four different emails from docketing telling me about new OAs.

Weird, given that I doubt that TSS or the mail contractor were working on Christmas.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think today's going to be my happiest day ever as a lawyer - my boss is having me write a memo on sovereign citizens nationwide. I can totally pass off other work while researching this (by typing sovereign citizen into the search box here).

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Oh god if only I had started Golden Tate :negative:

Good season guys.

I'll take 3rd. I tanked a bit after Julio Jones went down.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Just in case you don't have it here is that massive Canadian opinion discussing everything about them: http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb/2003-/qb/Family/2012/2012abqb0571ed1.pdf

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Just in case you don't have it here is that massive Canadian opinion discussing everything about them: http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb/2003-/qb/Family/2012/2012abqb0571ed1.pdf

I didn't even know "Moorish Law" was a thing, thanks for the laughs.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

mastershakeman posted:

I think today's going to be my happiest day ever as a lawyer - my boss is having me write a memo on sovereign citizens nationwide. I can totally pass off other work while researching this (by typing sovereign citizen into the search box here).

That is goddamn tremendous. Does that mean that he's handling a case involving one?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It was my idea but we did have a sov. citizen here at the office trying to serve several of our attorneys with the complaint that she filed in federal court. Sadly no one would accept service because I kind of wanted to see what would happen (and because it isn't me, I'd have hidden under my desk).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

mastershakeman posted:

It was my idea but we did have a sov. citizen here at the office trying to serve several of our attorneys with the complaint that she filed in federal court. Sadly no one would accept service because I kind of wanted to see what would happen (and because it isn't me, I'd have hidden under my desk).

Should've told her that she was trying to serve your legal person and that you did not wish to create joinder with her.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Yeah, probably for the best you're not dealing with one.

Still, well done on your part. Try not to laugh yourself stupid too frequently.

If your boss has a sense of humour you could put your name on it like mastershakeman, a flesh and blood entity, acting for MASTER:SHAKE:MAN, CORPORATE lAWYER entity

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Representing mentally ill/incompetent criminal defendants is probably the least fun thing on the planet. I usually end up with family on one side saying, "my relative is hopelessly insane we don't want them." And the client usually says insane things, doesn't understand the problems that he/she has, and doesn't appear to grasp that their life is a mess because of a mental illness. The best and worst case scenarios in the case are both not real good.

Edit: probably should not say "fun". Rather it is the most heartbreaking.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Apparently I'm pretty good at fantasy football. I'm not sure why, though.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
How do you other solos/small fry usually price wills? Had an inquiry recently and figured I'd ask.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

How do you other solos/small fry usually price wills? Had an inquiry recently and figured I'd ask.

Simple will? $350 with POAs for $150.

Usually equates to about two hours of work including consultation and drafting for a will.

If it's a husband and wife wanting wills, I usually do both for $500 because it's really drat quick.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 6, 2014

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I live in a really small town where a simple will will run in the $150-250 range. Throw in health care surrogacy and living will for about another $50-75.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Simple will? $350 with POAs for $150.

Usually equates to about two hours of work including consultation and drafting for a will.

If it's a husband and wife wanting wills, I usually do both for $500 because it's really drat quick.
What constitutes a simple will? Or, the perhaps more easy question to answer: when do you know that a will is no longer simple?

If it's a husband and wife wanting wills, is it so quick because you're basically duplicating the substance of the wills, but just substituting <wife> for <husband>, and <husband> for <wife>, for each spouse's will?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Green Crayons posted:

What constitutes a simple will? Or, the perhaps more easy question to answer: when do you know that a will is no longer simple?

If it's a husband and wife wanting wills, is it so quick because you're basically duplicating the substance of the wills, but just substituting <wife> for <husband>, and <husband> for <wife>, for each spouse's will?

If I don't have to establish a trust or deal with an estate tax, it's a simple will.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
This guy at work actually cited the Declaration of Human Rights and Section 1983 in his complaint against his Internet Service Provider because his internet speed was too slow.

Probably the most :psyduck: read I have ever had in my life.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just read a 691 page appeal brief filed against another examiner.

None of it is lucid.

I'd seriously consider quitting if I had to respond to it.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I recently reviewed a bunch of files from a former Exxon patent attorney who had a talent for incoherent drafting and making dumb amendments. Some of these files have him irritating examiners to the point where they start citing multiple dissertations and scientific journals in every 103 rejection, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Gainfully employed in panda law. Basically my dream job. Don't even need food stamps. Yet.