Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

I rode with a guy one time who would properly signal when approaching a turn lane, get into the lane and roll to a stop at the light, and once stopped would manually shut off his blinker because he didn't like the noise.

ONCE. I'll never get in that car again. :twitch:

Why do you need to signal when you're in a left turn lane waiting for a green arrow? There's no point, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

leica posted:

Why do you need to signal when you're in a left turn lane waiting for a green arrow? There's no point, really.
Given how little attention people pay to what's going on around them, I'd rather signal and give them another chance to realize HEY THAT CAR IS TURNING LEFT than not signal. It's not like you're paying a lot to replace the signal bulbs slightly more often. :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

leica posted:

Oncoming traffic, crossing pedestrians etc etc may not be able to see that you're in a turn lane.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

leica posted:

Same reason you signal when no one's around: Habit. Plus, as previously stated, the one you don't see is the one that'll get you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

Are you trolling? Incoming traffic knees you're turning, pedestrians know you're turning, traffic coming up behind you knows it's a turning lane well ahead of time, and a blinking light generally makes you more noticeable in any situation

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm talking about sitting at an intersection waiting for a green arrow to turn left, the oncoming lane and everyone in front/behind you would be doing the exact same thing. There is no oncoming traffic. Sorry, I just don't see the point of sitting still in the left turn lane waiting for the left turn light with your left turn signal on when everyone else knows you're turning left.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

leica posted:

I'm talking about sitting at an intersection waiting for a green arrow to turn left, the oncoming lane and everyone in front/behind you would be doing the exact same thing. There is no oncoming traffic. Sorry, I just don't see the point of sitting still in the left turn lane waiting for the left turn light with your left turn signal on when everyone else knows you're turning left.

I was told that if I was in lane with either just a right turn or left turn arrow that I don't have to indicate. It's probably the only time that I'm lazy about doing it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Is blinker fluid really expensive where you guys live or something...?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Never assume that other drivers are anything but neanderthals. Sitting in a left turn lane, waiting for a left light? drat right I'm going to have my indicator on. Does it make me more noticeable? Maybe so, but that's what blinkers are supposed to do. Make you noticeable to other people, including the guy who's just about to run the read light, or the woman who's typing out her most recent text.

People are dumb, never assume otherwise. That's what this thread is about, right?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Horse Divorce posted:

Never assume that other drivers are anything but neanderthals. Sitting in a left turn lane, waiting for a left light? drat right I'm going to have my indicator on. Does it make me more noticeable? Maybe so, but that's what blinkers are supposed to do. Make you noticeable to other people, including the guy who's just about to run the read light, or the woman who's typing out her most recent text.

People are dumb, never assume otherwise. That's what this thread is about, right?

Apparently it's bait for dumb goons too.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Horse Divorce posted:

Never assume that other drivers are anything but neanderthals.

That's charitable. Other drivers are more like the chimps at the beginning of 2001.

My best lesson when learning to drive: "Assume everybody else is actively trying to kill you."

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Geoj posted:

Is blinker fluid really expensive where you guys live or something...?

You joke but I actually find myself "rationing" blinker usage when not needed because I have to pull my front bumper to change the bulbs and it's a massive pain in the rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

opengl128 posted:

You joke but I actually find myself "rationing" blinker usage when not needed because I have to pull my front bumper to change the bulbs and it's a massive pain in the rear end.

I have never seen a blinker bulb burn out, even old style filament bulbs were good for thousands of hours. You're gonna have to drive a car for decades before the blinker goes.. corrosion is going to kill it before it burns out.

Strict adherence to road rules are indicating a turn ~100 feet before the turn lane, while in the turn lane, and while turning. There's no reason not to follow that recipe. :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

I have never seen a blinker bulb burn out, even old style filament bulbs were good for thousands of hours. You're gonna have to drive a car for decades before the blinker goes.. corrosion is going to kill it before it burns out.

I killed a blinker bulb in my old Cavalier after only about seven years. GM says you have to pull the bumper to swap the bulb but I was able to pry the fender liner and do it through the crash structure in the rad support. It was -30 and I was convinced it was somehow completely essential that I replace the bulb that night for the drive to work the next day.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Strict adherence to road rules are indicating a turn ~100 feet before the turn lane, while in the turn lane, and while turning. There's no reason not to follow that recipe. :colbert:

Yes, because here in AI, we all strictly follow the rules of the road :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The long and short of it, though, that if you're not using your turn signal then you're a dumbass. Yes, even at an arrow.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My experience is that there's a decidedly non-trivial percentage of people who will get in a turn lane and then go straight anyway. I don't care if they just couldn't see the turn arrow, they made an error or they're just being dicks. Sometimes they flat-out turn the wrong way.

If they have their blinker on, that -still- doesn't mean they're actually going to turn that way, but it does make it considerably more likely.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

The long and short of it, though, that if you're not using your turn signal then you're a dumbass. Yes, even at an arrow.

Bite me. I'm just giving my opinion, if you don't agree that's fine, but if you want to start name calling and insulting over something so god drat trivial you can go gently caress yourself. Wherever you like, even at an arrow.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Deeters posted:

A friend of mine said his mom won't use signals because she doesn't like the noise.

She must own a GM. :v:

That synthetic "click" drives me loving nuts, it's so loud and over the top compared to an actual flasher. Thankfully the speaker is easy to get to on my car, gonna put some tape over it next time I'm under the dash to quiet it down.

(a lot of GMs run it through the drat stereo, rendering that option useless)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

some texas redneck posted:

She must own a GM. :v:

That synthetic "click" drives me loving nuts, it's so loud and over the top compared to an actual flasher. Thankfully the speaker is easy to get to on my car, gonna put some tape over it next time I'm under the dash to quiet it down.

(a lot of GMs run it through the drat stereo, rendering that option useless)

I'd rather have the driver annoyed at the turn signals, than to have everyone else annoyed with the turn signals being left on.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Wire a resistor across its terminals instead. Bonus points for a variable resistor.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tape is a lot easier, and I only have to remove 1 screw to get enough access to slap some tape on top of the little piezo speaker.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey, sorry if this is now not kosher in the thread. I read the first few pages (and didn't feel like going through ALL of a 53 page thread...) and people were posting photos of traffic nightmares. I thought I'd do the same because this one is a shocker. Apologies if it's a repost or if this is no longer cool in this thread...

This is the top of Elizabeth street in Melbourne. It's a roundabout that has a tram intersection in the middle of the roundabout. Red arrows indicate the way on, yellow indicates the way off. The double red arrows at the bottom indicate that you've got a service lane as well as a road that merge AT the round-about which causes loving chaos in peak hour. Same thing happens on the top right, but I forgot to draw it there as well. Yellow indicates exits. Blue shows which direction the trams travel in.

If you are unlucky, you can get yourself trapped into a lane that literally just puts you in a loop around the round-about without being able to exit. Get stuck in that and then you'll have to merge while driving through a round-about. Good luck with that.

It is 2 lanes wide on the left hand side, but 3 lanes wide on the right hand side. So eventually, a bottleneck develops. On top of the 2 other bottlenecks that happen as people are trying to get onto the roundabout in the first place. Cars and trams are going through this roundabout in every direction possible and it's one that you almost point your car in the right direction, squeeze your eyes shut and pray that nobody hits you.

That roundabout used to scare the crap out of me when I first started driving but when you take it every day it stops being so imposing. You've just got to know which lane you need to be in before you get to the intersection so you don't have to merge through the roundabout.

xzzy posted:

That would be a beautiful creation in SimCity. :v:

That does seem to be one of the worst layouts I've seen yet though. It's like some committee decided roundabouts are mandatory and despite many good reasons to not do it, they did it anyways. Putting it on top of a rail junction is just insult to injury.

What do those zig-zag lines over the lanes signify? Is it warning drivers to slow down or be ready to brake?

The zig zag lines indicate a tram stop so watch out for pedestrians dashing across the road and try not to hit anyone.

davebo posted:

It's hard to tell from the photo but aside from the dotted white line in front of eat train track, are there lights or anything to alert drivers that hey, a tram is coming and you should not be on the train tracks? Do they just stop everyone with lights outside the roundabout with enough lead time before a tram gets there?

There's traffic lights on each entry point and in the middle of the intersection so when a tram gets to the entry of the intersection all the lights go red and you wait until it passes. You don't have to actively look out for them or anything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, they'd love the beeper you get when you have a trailer hooked up. Do you have those in the US? They're meant to remind you you've got the trailer on the back when you indicate. Most of the ones I've encountered sound like either a squealing rodent or a dalek having a panic attack.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Oh, they'd love the beeper you get when you have a trailer hooked up. Do you have those in the US? They're meant to remind you you've got the trailer on the back when you indicate. Most of the ones I've encountered sound like either a squealing rodent or a dalek having a panic attack.

Having been a passenger in a car whose driver cheerfully towed his box trailer into the side of a Sorento while changing lanes, this actually sounds like the best idea ever.

"Hey, that little luggage trailer you put on 5 hours of highway driving ago? Yeah, it's still there; maybe wait for a bigger gap, yeah?".

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

EightBit posted:

I'd rather have the driver annoyed at the turn signals, than to have everyone else annoyed with the turn signals being left on.

buahahahahah. You think that those 89 year old people in there landbarge Cadillac can ever realize that noise is going on. And if your too dumb or whatever to turn off your signal after a turn then why are you driving. Most cars turn that off after you make an actual turn.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Good God, I hope none of those people that are 'annoyed by blinker sounds' ever get ahold of this Grand Cherokee we have. I have no idea if this is factory or not, but every light on the rear end end has a relay. In the rear end end. Brakes on CLICK. Brakes off CLICK. Blinker CLICKCLICKCLICK in SURROUND SOUND!

Also you missed a reason:

--Blinker operating at different tempo from the song that is on the radio

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I sometimes hate the radio in cars. My mother came to me yesterday and told me her car was acting weird. So I get in and turn the radio off. Upon doing so and driving I am greeted with a bad wheel bearing, a very low front tire, and some bad engine noise. then I drove with her in the car, I turned her radio off and she gave me a strange look and told me :byodame:"the radio can turn off?" :suicide: well at least I have convinced her to get new tires to replace the front racing slicks she has.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Citroen DS4 has a customizable turn signal sound. Some of them are pretty obnoxious, much like the space retards who don't use their signals before major turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl2sz61tNkU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
--Car was made in Britain. Indicator switch does not operate indicators, but does do something, possibly related to oil leaks or intermittent hot smell.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Vindolanda posted:

--Car was made in Britain. Indicator switch does not operate indicators, but does do something, possibly related to oil leaks or intermittent hot smell.

Ah, so you've heard of the Lucas oil filled relays then?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Cakefool posted:

Ah, so you've heard of the Lucas oil filled relays then?

I have a product of the 1970s British motoring industry

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My Vauxhall has a hidden menu where you can alter the volume of the indicator clicks. It makes sense if you tend to play lound music - especially if you are over 6 foot and so the indicator lights are hidden by the wheel.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EightBit posted:

No kidding. On both my subaru and my dad's infiniti, you can't even hear the turn signal if the radio is on, even at a low volume.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

InitialDave posted:

• It was taught to you when you learned to drive that it was correct not to indicate if there was no-one around to indicate to, and you didn't spot someone was there.
No, really, they actually did this, hilariously oblivious to the fact that just because you didn't spot someone doesn't mean there isn't someone there, and the indicator might give enough warning to avoid an accident. loving ridiculous.

My father does this (and not indicating when changing lanes, even with cars close by). :( When I tried politely pointing it out to him he said "some people don't use turn signals at all", then got really upset and wouldn't speak to me. He's got plenty more really unsafe driving habits. It's a statistical wonder he has never been in an accident.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Citroen DS4 has a customizable turn signal sound. Some of them are pretty obnoxious, much like the space retards who don't use their signals before major turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl2sz61tNkU

That's actually a great idea (it actually works properly)

My grandfather had a buzzer installed in his Holden Astra just because the indicator click was too soft and he was always leaving them on.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Cars should have a self-destructing mechanism if the indicator is left on in a moving vehicle for longer than 20 seconds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Toymachine posted:

Cars should have a self-destructing mechanism if the indicator is left on in a moving vehicle for longer than 20 seconds.

The Crown Victoria I had for a day actually would chime obnoxiously if you kept the blinker on for more than a quarter mile or so. Ford knows their target audience.

In stupid poo poo today, I had to do a full on panic stop when some dumb motherfucker turned left from a parking lot right in front of me. I think I missed plowing into the left rear quarter panel by a couple feet, yet she had the nerve to flip me off as I was laying on the horn.

Brakes on the 2013 CRV work drat well, though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
What about people you share a parking lot with? Today I was taking my wife to work and my TPMS reported low pressure in my right front tire. I pulled into a Sheetz station to use their free compressor only to find a three car deep line waiting on a couple doing a tech inspection on their motorcycles right in front of the air station, but not using it.

I waited about five minutes before giving up and going five blocks up the street to another gas station with a free compressor, to find some old guy slowly filling his tires. He finally finished, only to start washing his windows while still blocking the compressor and was completely oblivious when I pulled as close as possible and stretched the coiled air line to reach my wheel.

Imagine how pissed I was when I found I wasted ten minutes on trying to put air in a tire that was actually 2 PSI over-inflated. Oh, and when I passed the first station on the way back to the highway the dickbag motorcyclists were still doing their inspection and the line of waiting cars had increased to five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

In stupid poo poo today, I had to do a full on panic stop when some dumb motherfucker turned left from a parking lot right in front of me. I think I missed plowing into the left rear quarter panel by a couple feet, yet she had the nerve to flip me off as I was laying on the horn.
A couple days ago some-one pulled out from an alley in-front of me at night and, as they passed while I laid on the horn, my headlights illuminated the driver clearly mouthing "I don't have to loving stop."

Damned USPS lost the dash-cam I ordered, too, otherwise it'd all be recorded.