Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are any of the awesome mods or any of the other balance mods updated for Dom 4 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Wask posted:

As a super new player how can I actually get better to be able to play MP?

In the week I've owned Dom 4 I can now consistently crush the AI with either a strong bless nation, MA Ermor, or the LA ghost guys. That's mostly because the AI is completely dumb and will try to invade provinces my PD can defend, they get totally smashed by blessed giants/jaguar guys/warriors of five elements, or they don't do anything about my dominion bleeding them dry. I still don't really have any high level strategies beyond make sacred units or push dominion.

I know little about what I should actually research or how to use battle mages, useful summons, path boosting, item crafting, or building SCs other than the basics of the concepts from reading some forum posts. I've been playing more T'ien Chi as suggested but by the time magic seems to start to get useful those crazy archers and sacred units have already smashed everything.

Play with a rainbow commander without a bless strat so you have to use more powerful spells and path boosters etc.

Sadly the AI doesn't really require or reward magic use all that much but it's a start. Throwing yourself into a MP blitz game can help a lot, 2-3 people, maybe an AI or two, and see how different the game is when someone is massing D1 skelly spammers and another is going amphibious and gobbling up underwater border nations and you've got to actually react to stuff. I'm still terrible but even just doing 1-2 MP games has completely changed my understanding of the game. Honestly about 90% of the gameplay is either useless or pointless in SP.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Wask posted:

As a super new player how can I actually get better to be able to play MP?

In the week I've owned Dom 4 I can now consistently crush the AI with either a strong bless nation, MA Ermor, or the LA ghost guys. That's mostly because the AI is completely dumb and will try to invade provinces my PD can defend, they get totally smashed by blessed giants/jaguar guys/warriors of five elements, or they don't do anything about my dominion bleeding them dry. I still don't really have any high level strategies beyond make sacred units or push dominion.

I know little about what I should actually research or how to use battle mages, useful summons, path boosting, item crafting, or building SCs other than the basics of the concepts from reading some forum posts. I've been playing more T'ien Chi as suggested but by the time magic seems to start to get useful those crazy archers and sacred units have already smashed everything.

Join a MP game, see human players destroy all the gold you sunk into PD/run circles around your one-dimensional blessed troops. Figure out which summons/rituals are useful/useless against which opponents and which summons/rituals are going to be always/never useful.

Then tweak your strategy and sign up for another MP game. And so on and so on..

Most of the tactical stuff you can read about from Dom3 applies to Dom4, so it never hurts to look around these forums and others for ideas. Pick a nation and figure out what their strengths are, pick out a few research goals that play to those strengths (even if you find yourself in a year 1 war, researching level 4 of any school is usually possible before you're knocked out).

Also joining IRC is great for getting immediate feedback on ideas and questions.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Smerdyakov posted:

This is all true for an Ermor trying to win, but not the case for an Ermor that's trying to troll.

I'm coming in here a bit late but I'm genuinely not trying to troll. I'm a very new player and I figured that a BoT rush might be something workable and beneficial. I didn't even know about the siege bug when I picked this nation, which makes me feel a bit lovely

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ZeroCount posted:

I'm coming in here a bit late but I'm genuinely not trying to troll. I'm a very new player and I figured that a BoT rush might be something workable and beneficial. I didn't even know about the siege bug when I picked this nation, which makes me feel a bit lovely

It's really sad because Ermor is a really cool nation with neat mechanics and is fun to play. However it definitely seems to break pretty much all the rules of the game and can shut players out of the game completely even if they aren't really doing anything wrong. They were the first nation I messed with when I got the game but they have some really serious balance/fun problems.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

ZeroCount posted:

Yeah, I don't mean that it's your fault, since you're playing a pretty straightforward ermor strategy, just that casting BoT as soon as you can doesn't usually make sense in MP games because it virtually guarantees everyone will drop what they're doing and come kill you. So basically, you need to win a 10v1 on turn 17, which is not usually workable strategy, not even with the stupidity and shortsightedness of some of your neighbors.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Anyone know what determines the chance for a spy to infiltrate a capitol is? Haven't had much luck in SP and don't want to risk an international incident in MP. Was thinking that if it were simply a stealth check, one of those stealth boosting items might help.

Also if you have poo poo spies and not very stealthy stealth troops don't try to infiltrate your enemy. On the other hand, if you're prepared, do it. Accidentally turning an infiltration into an all-out invasion can be hilarious.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Smerdyakov posted:

Yeah, I don't mean that it's your fault, since you're playing a pretty straightforward ermor strategy, just that casting BoT as soon as you can doesn't usually make sense in MP games because it virtually guarantees everyone will drop what they're doing and come kill you. So basically, you need to win a 10v1 on turn 17, which is not usually workable strategy, not even with the stupidity and shortsightedness of some of your neighbors.

I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't worked out friendly arrangements with most of my allies, true.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I would think BoT rendered any pacts moot, since it's basically a direct attack anyway.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

tooterfish posted:

I would think BoT rendered any pacts moot, since it's basically a direct attack anyway.

Ponymans gives no fucks. (They don't qualify as "old" until their 1000th birthday)

Also they're the largest nation in this game.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BoT still kills pop and generates unrest iirc, I would personally consider it grounds for breaking a NAP

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

tooterfish posted:

Vanheim probably gets more out of the NAP than I do. :shobon:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

No poo poo.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
A friend badgered me into grabbing this game while I've been looking for something to sink my teeth into. I like the huge variety in the game and it looks pretty damned complicated.

I'm a dumb masochist who enjoys being the lesser favored side in a 1:9 or 2:8 matchup. So I know what nations to avoid, what nations are generally acknowledged as overpowered?

This is also my verification post for the goon game service. I got it off Steam, not Desura, so here's a link to my steam profile I guess? http://steamcommunity.com/id/riftling

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Mictlan is very very powerful. It has great sacreds and pretty good magic diversity. If you team them up as disciple to another nation, like Lanka or *heim, that can cover your gaps and buy a very strong Blessing.

Lanka has good access to A & D, which Mictlan can't get, and also has powerful recruit-anywhere sacreds.

Helheim/Vanheim are ponyman nations which open up A & E. Their stealth mages and armies can be very good at raiding the enemy, disrupting both movement and economy.
Neifelheim has powerful thugs, who can kick a lot of rear end with the right blessing and almost no gear. Jotun Jarls and Werewolf-form Skratti are almost as good as summoned thugs, but are much easier to produce on-demand.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Lanka has good access to A & D, which Mictlan can't get
Steady on now, Priests of the Sky are totally a thing, and Mictlan has all kinds of D pretenders. The main thing it's actually lacking is Earth magic.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Steady on now, Priests of the Sky are totally a thing, and Mictlan has all kinds of D pretenders. The main thing it's actually lacking is Earth magic.

Well if he's comparing Lanka I'd assume he means EA. Regardless Mictlan will usually break into D with the 3D3B hero, B6 with a Tlahuelpulchi (which are practically free at 25 slaves and superb assassins to boot), or a lucky D turkey.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 29, 2013

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Mictlan is the strongest nation of every age imo. Really good early expansion, ultra gold efficient units from every fort with a temple and the best suite of national summons in the game. MA gives up easy blood access for amazing cheap recruit anywhere flyers

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 29, 2013

CrimsonWolf
Aug 4, 2007

Just got this game, and am looking to get into MP, been awhile since I played in a Dom3 game. Which nation is a good starter nation, as my first sp try with the LAversion of Emor was fun but not very instructive. Steam profile is here: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198086626715/

iluv
Dec 4, 2006

cutthroats 9
Looks like we have quite a few new people, not just me. Could someone host an newbie game? That would be awesome!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I'd join a couple, but can't because of a mandatory stint in a government slave camp.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
I'm in my third game. I feel like I have the basics down. I know how fast I should be expanding, where to build forts, how to economy, etc. I hit a small roadblock - another nation is expanding where I want to build my first fort. No problem. The enemy forces there look weak, my prophet Anathemant and his crew of lava warriors will make quick work of them. I move them into an adjacent square aaaand...

Welp.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Gotta love Abysia's old age everything.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Riftling posted:

I'm in my third game. I feel like I have the basics down. I know how fast I should be expanding, where to build forts, how to economy, etc. I hit a small roadblock - another nation is expanding where I want to build my first fort. No problem. The enemy forces there look weak, my prophet Anathemant and his crew of lava warriors will make quick work of them. I move them into an adjacent square aaaand...

Welp.

Diseased dudes w. dominion based hp (prophets and pretenders) have to be really careful about moving , because they will lose hp based on their health from the last turn, and then their total hp can go down because they are in different dominion. Hostile dominion will make human prophets have around 4 hp or something stupid like that.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Riftling posted:

Welp.

Dontplayabysia.jpg

Pay attention to your afflictions if for some reason you decide you hate yourself and play them anyway.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Riftling posted:

Welp.

I think you can resume construction of the fort by moving another commander over. It still blows losing the turns but you at least shouldn't be out 800 gold (I think).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've never really understood why Abysia's guys all go into old-age so young. What's the thematic behind it? Just "burning out"?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Age is autocalculated, and fire magic gives a age penalty to when old age starts. Don't really get why though.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

goatface posted:

I've never really understood why Abysia's guys all go into old-age so young. What's the thematic behind it? Just "burning out"?

They have short lifespans due to being not humans, and also fire mages age faster.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Aren't they supposed to be half-demon though? I don't associate demons with short lifespan.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Aren't they supposed to be half-demon though? I don't associate demons with short lifespan.

Theres Abysians and then theres demonbreds they are different things.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

goatface posted:

The first warlock, Malphas, just wanted to forge Boots of Youth for all Abysians so they could be hot and youthful for all time.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

goatface posted:

Pretty much. They're essentially supposed to be like djinns, and as beings of fire, they have a shorter lifespan.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's weird because the purest Abysians: the Anointed of of Rhuax live for something like 200 years but all others that aren't Demonbred get old around 35.

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.
I just signed up as Thumpp. I included a Steam link instead of a Desura link since Steam is where I bought it; I hope that won't be an issue?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

amuayse posted:

Pretty much. They're essentially supposed to be like djinns, and as beings of fire, they have a shorter lifespan.

Lao Tzu — 'The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long.'

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I saw someone in another forum post that there was a wiki for the Spell Gift of Reason to show what hidden magic paths units had. But I can't find it after searching a whole bunch. Does anyone know where this might lie?

Edit: Is is also possible to cast a spell that you are short a spell level to cast by expending a gem?

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 31, 2013

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

It's weird because the purest Abysians: the Anointed of of Rhuax live for something like 200 years but all others that aren't Demonbred get old around 35.

My understanding is that it has to do with every generation of Abyssian being "cooler." The impression I got is that the originals last a long time because they are "born" very hot and take a long time to cool down. It says those guys barely resembled anything humanoid at all and were mostly living magma. Newer ones are created cooler and cooler and shittier and shittier. They don't live long and the inherent flaw of Abysia is that they can't last much longer in their current state. The oldest, original magma dudes can't live forever but new Abysians are nowhere near as good, hence why they try to breed themselves with other creatures. It's a matter of survival, which they're kind of succeeding at but the one random guy that shows up (I forget his name) is specifically described as the reason the Abysians ultimately fell in that he convinced them to create demobreds out of themselves. It hosed them over permanently worse than just letting their fires go out would have, so to speak.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
If someone is coming at me with an army and I'm trying to combat it with Seeking Arrow, do I have to aim where the army is currently or where I think it will be next turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I Love You! posted:

If someone is coming at me with an army and I'm trying to combat it with Seeking Arrow, do I have to aim where the army is currently or where I think it will be next turn?

Everything is resolved in phases between turns. The magic phase goes before the movement phase, so you target where the army currently is.

• Locked thread