Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xen Tricks posted:

I understand fully how they work, I know how circuits make sound, but I don't understand how you can't replicate/improve that with effects. It's like saying "Yeah I modified the oscillator and amp circuit to make sounds you can't possibly replicate" when you could just throw something in front of it in the circuit line and do the same. If you'd like to explain how your electrical magic works i'm sure we'd all be interested.

Also I went back to look at your guitar collection picture and jesus lol I didn't realize how it looked. You have like 6 guitars that look the same, a handled abortion, two first-act looking acoustics, and I guess one alright looking one. Great line up for 27 years.

Steve Vai is kind of really spergy so actually yes, maybe

No it's cool, I'll help you out then I'm done:

You cannot put a pedal in front of a guitar that, say, adds or quarters the resistance (gain/distortion) of a dual-coil pickup. You can try, but it won't act the same on every pickup, as all the coils have discrete resistances. With me so far?
So you can wire a series/parallel switch in somewhere that does that for you. This give you full series gain, like a Gibson Les Paul, and 1/4 gain, like a Fender Stratocaster, all in one guitar, in one pickup. But when you fiddle with that, you can lose treble when you roll off the volume pot, so you need a capacitor to act as a high-pass filter to roll the lows off to ground. This keeps the pickup bright, not muddy, as you roll off the volume and thereby back off the gain/distortion, giving you a bright clean tone without channel-switching your amplifier.
But each pickup is different, so you need a capacitor that rolls off the lows at just the right frequencies to work with your particular amplifiers. Each pickup/amp combination requires different capacitors and resistors. It's a painstaking process but it's cheap. Every one of my dual-coil pickups, with a few exceptions, have this mod performed for my gear, by me.

There does not exist a pedal that can replicate this fundamental interplay between the amp and the guitar. No volume pedal, no gain pedal, nothing.

My acoustics that you just mocked? One is a run-of-the-mill Breedlove acoustic which sounds amazing. The other is a 1938 Martin Orchestra Model that my Dad's Dad bought from Mel Bay in St. Louis MO back in 1938. It's an honest-to-God Depression Era Martin. The one they eventually called the 0000, or dreadnaught. I wonder if you can appreciate what that means.

All of the other instruments have different body woods, pickups, neck woods, finishes, and a couple have hard-tail bridges (my preference). With the mods described above, they each have their own voices. They have their own attack, sustain, decay, and timbre. They each react to my amps in their own, distinctive ways. They look similar, but to a trained ear they are vastly different, and in trained hands they speak differently.

It's not voodoo or audiophile nonsense, it's distinct and it's real and anyone who tried could discern the differences.

And to me, they are all beautiful.

That's my last post. Thank you and goodnight.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

shut up man it's working

But it's funnnyyyyy

and ok content

I think the most horrible guitars are the ones that look like they're absolutely unplayable/unholdable

Half of the "hardcore metal" guitars I see just look like they're designed to injure the user

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
i hate to agree with the doctor but different guitars do have different sounds even if you use all digital equipment. i have a strat and a les paul and they sound completely different when running on the exact same equipment

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

VarXX posted:

i hate to agree with the doctor but different guitars do have different sounds even if you use all digital equipment. i have a strat and a les paul and they sound completely different when running on the exact same equipment

No stop don't bring this poo poo up again post ugly guitars

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

drunk asian neighbor posted:

No stop don't bring this poo poo up again

im gonna just you fuckin watch

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

VarXX posted:

im gonna just you fuckin watch

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598162

there are you loving happy now

(I legitimately hope you are :))

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

VarXX posted:

yeah but as a total opposite point its heavily subjective from a listener's standpoint so claiming you're going to get a certain quality of tone out of x amount of dollars is just silly, basically audiophile level discussion

unique tone is cool but claiming to have superior knowledge of something that's fairly subjective just makes you seem like a dick

also

on sale now!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VarXX posted:

no one was ever arguing this point, they were arguing about how he has several of the same kind of guitar. unless you're like in a touring band who has songs in a bunch of different tunes, there's no good reason for this. having several different kinds of guitars is understandable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cannot Find Server posted:

no one was ever arguing this point, they were arguing about how he has several of the same kind of guitar. unless you're like in a touring band who has songs in a bunch of different tunes, there's no good reason for this. having several different kinds of guitars is understandable.

Take this to the guitar argument thread this is the guitar picture thread

I won this guitar in a raffle in high school and used it to play a bunch of punk covers at a couple of shows

I thought I was all subversive and poo poo

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I didn't want this to get lost because I effort-posted really hard, guys, so here it is one last time and I'm done.

Xen Tricks posted:

I understand fully how they work, I know how circuits make sound, but I don't understand how you can't replicate/improve that with effects. It's like saying "Yeah I modified the oscillator and amp circuit to make sounds you can't possibly replicate" when you could just throw something in front of it in the circuit line and do the same. If you'd like to explain how your electrical magic works i'm sure we'd all be interested.

Also I went back to look at your guitar collection picture and jesus lol I didn't realize how it looked. You have like 6 guitars that look the same, a handled abortion, two first-act looking acoustics, and I guess one alright looking one. Great line up for 27 years.

Steve Vai is kind of really spergy so actually yes, maybe

You cannot put a pedal in front of a guitar that, say, adds or quarters the resistance (gain/distortion) of a dual-coil pickup. You can try, but it won't act the same on every pickup, as all the coils have discrete resistances. With me so far?
So you can wire a series/parallel switch in somewhere that does that for you. This gives you full series gain, like a Gibson Les Paul, or 1/4 gain in parallel, like a Fender Stratocaster, all in one guitar, in one pickup. But when you fiddle with that, you can lose treble when you roll off the volume pot, so you need a capacitor to act as a high-pass filter to roll the lows off to ground. This keeps the pickup bright, not muddy, as you roll off the volume and thereby back off the gain/distortion, giving you a bright clean tone without channel-switching your amplifier.
But each pickup is different, so you need a capacitor that rolls off the lows at just the right frequencies to work with your particular amplifiers. Each pickup/amp combination requires different capacitors and resistors. It's a painstaking process but it's cheap. Every one of my dual-coil pickups, with a few exceptions, has this mod performed for my gear, by me.

There simply does not exist a pedal that can replicate this fundamental interplay between the amp and the guitar. No volume pedal, no gain pedal, nothing will do the same job.

My acoustics that you just mocked as "first-act?" One is a run-of-the-mill Breedlove acoustic which sounds amazing. The other is a 1938 Martin Orchestra Model that my Dad's Dad bought from Mel Bay (THAT Mel Bay) in St. Louis, MO, back in 1938. It's an honest-to-God Depression Era Martin. The one they eventually called the 0000, or dreadnaught. I wonder if you can appreciate what that means.

All of the other instruments have different body woods, pickups, neck woods, finishes, and a couple have hard-tail bridges (my preference). With the mods described above, they each have their own voices. They have their own attack, sustain, decay, and timbre. They each react to my amps in their own, distinctive ways. They look similar, but to a trained ear they are vastly different, and in trained hands they speak differently.

It's not voodoo or audiophile nonsense, it's distinct and it's real and anyone who tried could discern the differences.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Dewgy posted:

also

on sale now!
That is legit awesome and I would play that in any style of band

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

friend of the family death

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Xen Tricks posted:

That is legit awesome and I would play that in any style of band

rondomusic has 'em cheap and i know the feeling, i might pick one up

they have dogs and ladybugs too

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

I didn't want this to get lost because I effort-posted really hard, guys, so here it is one last time and I'm done.

So you can wire a series/parallel switch in somewhere that does that for you. This gives you full series gain, like a Gibson Les Paul, or 1/4 gain in parallel, like a Fender Stratocaster, all in one guitar, in one pickup. But when you fiddle with that, you can lose treble when you roll off the volume pot, so you need a capacitor to act as a high-pass filter to roll the lows off to ground. This keeps the pickup bright, not muddy, as you roll off the volume and thereby back off the gain/distortion, giving you a bright clean tone without channel-switching your amplifier.
But each pickup is different, so you need a capacitor that rolls off the lows at just the right frequencies to work with your particular amplifiers. Each pickup/amp combination requires different capacitors and resistors. It's a painstaking process but it's cheap. Every one of my dual-coil pickups, with a few exceptions, has this mod performed for my gear, by me.

There simply does not exist a pedal that can replicate this fundamental interplay between the amp and the guitar. No volume pedal, no gain pedal, nothing will do the same job.

My acoustics that you just mocked as "first-act?" One is a run-of-the-mill Breedlove acoustic which sounds amazing. The other is a 1938 Martin Orchestra Model that my Dad's Dad bought from Mel Bay (THAT Mel Bay) in St. Louis, MO, back in 1938. It's an honest-to-God Depression Era Martin. The one they eventually called the 0000, or dreadnaught. I wonder if you can appreciate what that means.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597233&pagenumber=15#lastpost

Go nuts you loving psychopath. An echo chamber just for you.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Henry Rollins would break your spine and tell you to stop posting stupid pointless threads.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's my last post.
Liar

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

Henry Rollins would break your spine and tell you to stop posting stupid pointless threads.

Yes but he could probably do it just as well and a lot cheaper by using DFX

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Shut up nerds

godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Dewgy posted:

on sale now!

Link please. I want one.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Backweb posted:

Link please. I want one.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product6392.html

sixty bucks, slightly discolored

Dec 26, 2012

that was a fantastic slap fight to wake up to

good work everyone

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I think Dr. Faustus is losing his mind since we started making fun of his ugly guitar. :ohdear:

Without the handle hole, I don't think it would be that ugly.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I like the lobotomized narrator. "This is what it sounds like!" brrrang

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Tao Jones posted:

I like the lobotomized narrator. "This is what it sounds like!" brrrang

the same guy posts reviews for all kinds of poo poo on rondo and he's this weird old fat guy so i was extremely sad to see him not take one of these up for himself

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Okay, I just gotta say a few things about Steve Vai because I think its really important that people reading this thread know what I think here goes...

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
I apologise if any of these have already been posted:

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
this beauty on sale on ebay RIGHT NOW

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121236170753

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
lol $1749
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121242417541

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fair Hallion posted:

this beauty on sale on ebay RIGHT NOW

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121236170753

it's like someone attached a righty headstock to a lefty explorer and then took a few bites out of it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oh finally there's some ugly rear end guitars on this page

they are all obsolete regardless

Fudgenuts
Jul 24, 2013

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

oh look, how darling, the bigsby arm and the pickup look like a little tin man giving me a nazi salute

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

if you use tabs you should probably kill yourself

Bolek
May 1, 2003

hey doc don't listen to these haters we guitar aficionados gotta stick together here's a cool thing you should skip some meals for btw http://tonerite.com/

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Dr. Faustus posted:

You think I didn't know this, despite my guitar collection showing up on pages one and two.

This is what you wanted, and you got it. Are you pleased?

LOL that's my home. I play out with friends and lend out my gear because people love it.
You're like that Vulcan kid from the Trek movie: "His human eyes... they look sad..." :(

I know this has to be a joke since this has been done in this thread already, but I'll humor you anyway:

All stereo tube amp rig:

SA Solo Contest Entry from 2001 (I only played the solos, the backing track came from Musician's Lounge) playing the Strat-style that I built with my Dad back in 1992, through the combo tube amps, 75% gain, no effects except a little room 'verb added via software.

This guitar:
:

The track: http://tindeck.com/listen/clxa

A laptop recording demo, the intro to SRV's Texas Flood (Just the intro: I programmed the drums, played the bass and the same Strat-style guitar through Amplitube 3 to see how the Fenders sounded in software, I programmed a dual Fender amp setup and played bass through a VT Bass pedal):

http://tindeck.com/listen/mpih

And a recording of me and my pals doing Satriani's live version of "Memories," also live off the mixing board at a band reunion. You can hear us each getting lost, so it's not perfect.
I only brought a guitar, so I used my bassist's Rocktron Chameleon and we just went for it:

That was this Ibanez RG770DX which I bought as a backup for my original JEM77FP:

The track: http://tindeck.com/listen/mghk

Hope you like.

Just for fun, here's a tortured version of Cult of Personality, also live off the board (using the tube combos):
http://tindeck.com/listen/ejzq

lol well done this sounds like literally millions of other guitarists noodling away in their parents basement thinking "yeah playing guitar gets you chiiiiicks"

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008
faustus theres nothing wrong with liking guitars. just be more chill about it. hth

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Dr. Faustus posted:

voodoo [...] audiophile nonsense

protip most tours have a guy sitting backstage with protools and an amp modeler on a macbook pro and all the 4x12 marshall cabinets are completely empty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinnDiesel
Feb 13, 2013

• Locked thread