Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god, I just about instantly discounted the game because I thought it was just minecraft and zombies.

Objection your honor: Minecraft has loads of zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Doc Hawkins posted:

Objection your honor: Minecraft has loads of zombies.

No, no, those are pubbies.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

VanSandman posted:

No, no, those are pubbies.

Thank you for the viral website idea. "Pubby or Zombie?" will make me a fortune.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

a medical mystery posted:

"Pubby or Zombie?"

Let me tell you about World of Tanks...

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Are there any decent griefs in World of Tanks these days?

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Doodles posted:

Playing the game is griefing yourself.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Archonex posted:

I made one way back at the start of summer in MMO HMO.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556387

The goon effort mostly died off due to the lack of updates over the summer (There was a nasty bug that could cause lag in larger fights. It's getting fixed in this update though.) past the Siegeworks expansion. Turns out this was because the developer team is extremely small and one person had a wedding to deal with, followed by some sort of "accident" happening that kept another person away from developing the game.

Apparently they're back to work on the game and are now working on the Arcana content expansion. So hopefully things pick up again.

But is it actually fun? I remember it got a lot of flak on release and havenm't looked at it since. Can you do stuff in it without paying RL money?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Foxhound posted:

But is it actually fun? I remember it got a lot of flak on release and havenm't looked at it since. Can you do stuff in it without paying RL money?

I addressed the RL money thing in the OP. You literally do not ever need to pay for cash shop money. The game gives you free stuff every day and it's pathetically easy to earn the currency in game.

The game is a mix of Stronghold, Mount and Blade, Total War, and a RPG. If that's up your alley then you'd probably enjoy it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Archonex posted:

The goon effort mostly died off due to the lack of updates over the summer (There was a nasty bug that could cause lag in larger fights. It's getting fixed in this update though.) past the Siegeworks expansion. Turns out this was because the developer team is extremely small and one person had a wedding to deal with, followed by some sort of "accident" happening that kept another person away from developing the game.

Apparently they're back to work on the game and are now working on the Arcana content expansion. So hopefully things pick up again.

I think it's more because it was really bad. Seven bucks might be a decent price for a leap of faith, but I still wouldn't recommend it personally.

The whole burning towns to the ground is maybe 2% of the game, next to grinding up units to actually be able to get to that stage of the game and running around aimlessly. And wrestling bad AI.

The grief is being encouraged to buy it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think it's more because it was really bad. Seven bucks might be a decent price for a leap of faith, but I still wouldn't recommend it personally.

The whole burning towns to the ground is maybe 2% of the game, next to grinding up units to actually be able to get to that stage of the game and running around aimlessly. And wrestling bad AI.

The grief is being encouraged to buy it.

I thought the experience was fairly directed myself. Harvest poo poo at your own home base/raid towns and players for goods ---> train troops/attack locations in the world ---> Repeat ad infinitum until you're rolling around with a ton of ridiculous murder machines/have a fortress was the basic formula. After that you could look at easily teaming up. Teaming up at the start was hard due to the way they balanced the matchmaking/raiding system to keep people from rolling over everyone else.

The problem was the bugs getting in the way of that and the sandbox elements. The bad AI was mostly due to issues they're fixing though. Surprised it took so long however.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 27, 2013

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Doodles posted:

Name yourself some variation of Barack Obama or Obamacare and some pubbies will literally tk you the instant the game starts.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Who can I convince to fund a study collecting and analyzing responses to a variety of troll usernames across a variety of online games?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Doodles posted:

Call Erwin Rommel a war criminal or say that Patton was a better general than him and you'll get Neo-Nazi tears pretty regularly.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Doodles posted:

Well there is still, three years after release, a (very) large number of neo-nazis playing the game to the point where it's 50/50 that saying "Rommel was a war criminal" in chat will start a fight with a random person.

Beyond that the game is team based in a way that 3 or 4 bad players out of a team of 15 can basically guarantee a loss, if your team loses you get basically jack poo poo in terms of experience and money regardless of individual performance, and most of the playerbase is really, really loving bad. So playing it is an exercise in griefing yourself to an extent. The F2P model the game is built on means it's basically unplayable if you don't win regularly, and you can only do that if you're really good and only play with really good teammates to carry the team for the bads who infest the game.

Also it has some of the worst map design I've ever seen in a game that's so reliant on team coordinated tactics. Nearly every map is set up so it always ends in grinding stalemate, and they just released an update making it even worse by removing most semi-hard cover.

internet tanks, ladies and gentlemen.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 28, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I strongly recommend playing fast tanks with low armor and low accuracy or artillery for the most optimal WoT experience. Those are the best options for how the maps and game are designed.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 28, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Who can I convince to fund a study collecting and analyzing responses to a variety of troll usernames across a variety of online games?

USC I'm pretty sure will do it for a fiver.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Archonex posted:

The game is a mix of Stronghold, Mount and Blade, Total War, and a RPG. If that's up your alley then you'd probably enjoy it.

Stronghold and Mount & Blade plus fire physics sounds entertaining, guess I'll pick it up at the end of the sale.

Doodles posted:

I've made a few people angry by using XVM (a mod that, among other things, shows you other people's stats in-game) and going "Wow you have 29,000 battles but your winrate is 44%, how can you play for so long and be so bad?", plus there's the usual Nazi/Confederate or gold ammo baiting in chat, but the game isn't really that conductive to griefing outside of making you angry at all the bad players.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Doc Hawkins posted:

Try a university with a a big enough humanities department, I'm sure there are more than a few people who would be facinated by what they can find out about online communities.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MizPiz posted:

Try a university with a a big enough humanities department, I'm sure there are more than a few people who would be facinated by what they can find out about online communities.

"My Tank Is Fight...ing Alongside A Neo-Nazi"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

MizPiz posted:

It may sound silly, but studying online communities is extremely trendy in academia right now. This sort of thing's getting a surprising amount of attention.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pope Guilty posted:

It may sound silly, but studying online communities is extremely trendy in academia right now. This sort of thing's getting a surprising amount of attention.

*aims fleet of floating penises toward tenured professor's Second Life avatar*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pope Guilty posted:

Back when I was on a WoW forum some intro psychology professor would have their whole class do a study on people's personalities versus their online avatars. Every single one of them would come to our site and ask for respondants. The site wound up needing to make official rules limiting questionnaires, and those of us who had actually taken a psychology course had fun explaining to people why their surveys were terrible. Leading questions, collecting the wrong data, et cetera. Actually made a few kids cry.

What idiot gives their entire class the same survey project without dividing up places to pitch it? In multiple years? We wound up tracking down the professor and writing them a complaint about it, though I never heard if we got a response.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

AirborneNinja posted:

Playing the game is griefing yourself.

Wow hahaha I haven't heard that one before!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Pope Guilty posted:

I was being serious. I'd even go as far as to say that griefing itself can be the basis for a decently sized collection of studies that would actually reveal some enlightening information on humanity.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

MizPiz posted:

I was being serious. I'd even go as far as to say that griefing itself can be the basis for a decently sized collection of studies that would actually reveal some enlightening information on humanity.

Not really. It's just that in society you can't (usually) be a massive shitlord to people you don't like, but online you can.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

Not really. It's just that in society you can't (usually) be a massive shitlord to people you don't like, but online you can.

You don't find that revealing? I mean, there seems to be a suggestion there that if humanity in general could get away with being massive shitlords, they would be. It's like the ring of Gyges.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Buried alive posted:

You don't find that revealing? I mean, there seems to be a suggestion there that if humanity in general could get away with being massive shitlords, they would be. It's like the ring of Gyges.

No, obviously, because it's just a video game. Jesus. It's on the same level of evil as sticking a note that says "kick me" on someone's back. There are some goodie-two-shoes who would never do that to another person and would never laugh at it, but humanity as a whole takes great pleasure in tiny, funny acts of evil. I'm no big city lawyer and don't know nothing about no ring of ganges, but this isn't at all revelatory and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone older than about 4.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Buried alive posted:

This is not news. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely," news hidden-camera "what would you do" stuff with dropped wallets and the like, various scientific studies, the Tragedy of the Commons... the internet as we know it may be around 20 years old but people have spent lifetimes looking at how societies interact. Trolling and the internet is just a chance for all the little moments to become public, in the same way that some idiot in Hicksville, USA can now make international news where 10 years ago people would laugh and ignore them.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

at the date posted:

No, obviously, because it's just a video game. Jesus. It's on the same level of evil as sticking a note that says "kick me" on someone's back. There are some goodie-two-shoes who would never do that to another person and would never laugh at it, but humanity as a whole takes great pleasure in tiny, funny acts of evil. I'm no big city lawyer and don't know nothing about no ring of ganges, but this isn't at all revelatory and shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone older than about 4.

Bruceski posted:

This is not news. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely," news hidden-camera "what would you do" stuff with dropped wallets and the like, various scientific studies, the Tragedy of the Commons... the internet as we know it may be around 20 years old but people have spent lifetimes looking at how societies interact. Trolling and the internet is just a chance for all the little moments to become public, in the same way that some idiot in Hicksville, USA can now make international news where 10 years ago people would laugh and ignore them.

You're looking at the griefers perspective. I'm talking about the ways the griefed react to the action(s) and how they are connected to their position in life. It would certainly be interesting to see what kind of people do the most griefing, but I think it's studying communities centered around and/or in games (and how they handle being griefed in certain ways) that has the wealth of information.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
Stream sniping people in DayZ SA is still the most fun thing you can do in the game. info\ and stgggs have been doing it a lot lately, here's a clip from earlier tonight.
We asked in chat before we sniped him to crush a can against his head for my brother Jay Owen w/ leukemia and when he refused we took him out back.
http://www.twitch.tv/zxero_/b/490707646?t=149m45s
We've been hitting a ton of people under the pseudonym "Jay Owen" and people get unbelievably angry at it.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

wuat posted:

Stream sniping people in DayZ SA is still the most fun thing you can do in the game. info\ and stgggs have been doing it a lot lately, here's a clip from earlier tonight.
We asked in chat before we sniped him to crush a can against his head for my brother Jay Owen w/ leukemia and when he refused we took him out back.
We've been hitting a ton of people under the pseudonym "Jay Owen" and people get unbelievably angry at it.

How many empathetic supporters of leukemia did you find? The guy linked was very rude...

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Daman posted:

How many empathetic supporters of leukemia did you find? The guy linked was very rude...

Sadly none so far delivered on the can crush for Jay Owen. One would have if he had a can, but he didn't so I left him handcuffed in the middle of the road instead of executing him.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Doodles posted:

Goons do tank trivia, where we steamroll an entire team except for their artillery, surround them with tanks and ask them questions. If they don't answer, they're stuck for 10 minutes unable to play. If they do answer, they die and lose.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Doc Hawkins posted:

To provide aid to this non-existant study; having my steam username "Putin is a coward" caused a lot of Russians to rage out in chryllic alphabet and bad english before the games even started. Apparently I also got a lot of reports but the name didn't break steam rules because, well, it shouldn't be offensive except for nationalist russians and really who gives a poo poo about them?

And the times I managed to humiliate opposing Russian carries with my supports or offlaners(carries are really strong endgame and in pub games they often win games almost by themselves at the end while supports and many offlaners lose a lot of their early-game efficiency fast, especially against carries) the game chat filled up really fast with slurs and curses leading me to reporting them instead because they're actually breaking the rules.

Low effort, I know, but still very fun.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

wuat posted:

I fully support griefing the poo poo out of this rear end in a top hat, what a massive shitlord

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

One of my all time favorite lovely cheese moves was in Command & Conquer Tiberium Sun. I'd fill up about 3 tunneling APCS with engineers, pop up them up in the middle of an enemy base and just converting and selling all the buildings.

This reminds me of a hilariously ineffective and fun way I used to screw with a friend in Tiberian Sun. Neither of us tended to be very good, so matches would devolve into both of us turtling and building massive armies for a late-game slugfest. We'd harass each other with super weapon fire, knock out SAMs and attempt to blow up production with suicide squads of aircraft. Then I discovered the Cronenberg Crash.

One of Nod's superweapons was a ballistic missile loaded with corrosive and mutagenic Tiberium Gas. It would release green clouds that would eat away at armor, but had a far more sinister effect on infantry. The lucky ones would die outright. The poor souls left would be reduced to quivering, amoeba-bloke globs of flesh called a Visceroid. They wander the map harmlessly, likely begging for death. But if two come close enough they will merge into a larger, tougher and more murderous blob that becomes highly aggressive to everyone, lashing out with vicious pseudopods that rend tank armor.

My strategy was a simple one, a modified version of the Nod engineer rush. If my opponent failed to lay concrete down over every inch of his base, he would soon be greeted by five APCs drilling out from the ground, loaded with cheap rifle infantry. Then the chemical missile rained down and his inner base became a hellish landscape of poison gas, melted humans and raging abominations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

To briefly devolve back into SC2 chat, the Dark Templar is one of the best units to grief with. This is a fairly high level unit that is melee-only but also permanently cloaked, which means that it cannot be targeted or barely even seen unless you have units with Detection, of which there are few.

This allows you to lock down bases hard if you build a lot of them. The griefy part of it is that you can lock down the enemy for half and hour and there is not a damned thing they can do about it. While you can do it with any unit, the sheer amount of rage that Dark Templar spam causes sets it apart because to the enemy, they are having any building or unit that they produce instantly evaporate into thin air due to shimmers of light. Normal units can at least be spammed to kinda maybe chip away at the enemy and take a few down, to make you feel like you're doing *something*. But with Dark Templars there is nothing you can do. You are a god and they are merely your impotent puppets.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

There was a professor that played City of Heroes who would use an ability called Teleport Foe to teleport players in PvP zones into unkillable NPC guards that one shot any player in the game. Then he wrote a paper on how this makes people mad.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

AirborneNinja posted:

There was a professor that played City of Heroes who would use an ability called Teleport Foe to teleport players in PvP zones into unkillable NPC guards that one shot any player in the game. Then he wrote a paper on how this makes people mad.

Here's an article on this:
http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/loyola_university_professor_be.html

He was playing the game as intended and ignored any rules or customs that was only acknowledged by the community, which, of course, led everyone to call him a pedophile and make legitimate death threats towards him. The study's link is dead in the article, but a quick search can lead to a couple places to download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

AceClown posted:

I fully support griefing the poo poo out of this rear end in a top hat, what a massive shitlord

"human being"
"human being"
"...human being"
"gay"
"these kids"
"GAY"
"Fuckin' human being"

Holy poo poo, the way this guy talks makes me want to see each and every death he receives. Keep fighting the good fight, guys.

It's almost worth listening to him as he spends the next 5 minutes trying to act nonchalant while complaining and making excuses for how he's totally not bad at the game and the guy that killed him is bad and he DEFINITELY did not just ragequit.

• Locked thread