Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, even though she looks a lot like Liefeld's version of Bucky.

"Homages" are pretty much endemic to comic books, and the Big Two have just been really lenient, which is good when it gives us stuff like Jack Staff, but not so good when we get Fighting American. It's how Marvel can do Squadron Supreme and the like.

That being said, Liefeld stepped over even that thin line. It's important to note that Youngblood was repurposed from a Titans proposal he had done, so originality had never really been a concern of for Rob when it came to his creator-owned work.

Also one of his most famous creations was just Deathstroke but his name was Wade instead of Slade.

Madman Comics 5

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also one of his most famous creations was just Deathstroke but his name was Wade instead of Slade.

The story goes that the writer on the book gave Wade that name as a joke on how blatant of a ripoff of Deathstroke Liefeld's design was.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I found some of the Strange Tales comics that Marvel put out a few years ago but instead of scanning the James Stokoe Silver Surfer story or the Michael Deforge comic guess what you nerds get to read!

Strange Tales II #3

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
More like Totally Awesome Tales!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Looks like USAgent John Walker studied the fine art of Self Defense American Style.

(80's in-comics ad)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Looks like USAgent John Walker studied the fine art of Self Defense American Style.

(80's in-comics ad)

Picture's kind of small, but I love that Bob Ross is delivering one hell of a nut kick to that child who just got out of 4th grade gym class.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Aiiiiieeee" is never not a funny scream.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Or is it Sputnik posted:

(80's in-comics ad)

THAT'S MY PURSE

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sockser posted:

THAT'S MY PURSE

I DON'T KNOW YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sockser posted:

THAT'S MY PURSE

WickedHate posted:

I DON'T KNOW YOU
This wil never not be funny.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
From Backlash #10, no context.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
More Spidey Super Stories. Because what the gently caress else would it be from?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I know he's evil, but there's just too much :3: in that scheme to really hate Doom.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
That was not the outcome I expected from a lonely Silver Surfer finding a call for help from Doctor Doom. His motives remain as inscrutable as ever...

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Every single page of Spidey Super Stories is insane. I don't need to even take panels out of context, just entire pages.

Sometimes the panels are insane too.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

They need to collect those. Like, yesterday.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Every single page of Spidey Super Stories is insane. I don't need to even take panels out of context, just entire pages.

Those last two panels by themselves would make me split my sides laughing. It's like watching a foreign film with really bad localization.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It kind of reminds me of that Doom comic. Just very literal spelling out of what's happening.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What is the context for that TNT page anyway? It always gets posted and it's always loving insane.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

MelvinTheJerk posted:

You're right. I tried doing only one page but each page led into the next.

e: Spidey Super Stories 9
e: bonus

e: Spidey Super Stories 17

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 28, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kang wanting to wage war on America because they pre-empted Mr. Rogers is a better villain origin story than anything Stan Lee could come up with.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

GorfZaplen posted:

You're right. I tried doing only one page but each page led into the next.

e: bonus

Spider-man could have gotten in without ID if the security guard had simply called the president.

(does anyone have that panel from the newspaper comic? It's actually very, very similar to that spidey super story)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I cannot deal with those masks.

This could only be better if Iron Man (Rhodey, I believe?) had shucked off everything but his helmet.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I started grabbing random issues of SSS this year thanks to this thread, and every one has had some gold in it:

Super Spidey Stories #38

Super Spidey Stories #44

Super Spidey Stories #30

and later in that same issue, I was happy to find this classic panel:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

PupsOfWar posted:

This could only be better if Iron Man (Rhodey, I believe?) had shucked off everything but his helmet.

Do She-Hulk's powers work like regular Hulk's powers? If so, she really shouldn't be allowed to join in a tug-of-war.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

oh my god "missile tow" oh my gooooooooooooood

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
From the Awesome Holiday Special again, this time with Arsenal Shaft being a creeper. Words by Alan Moore.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

Do She-Hulk's powers work like regular Hulk's powers? If so, she really shouldn't be allowed to join in a tug-of-war.

you mean the increasing-without-limit-as-he-gets-angrier part? Nah.

But that match would have been a forgone conclusion even without her, so

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

I dunno, Iron Man wearing swim trunks over his suit is even better in my opinion.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Nice of Han to loan Spidey the Millennium Falcon for his TNT hauling!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Pilchenstein posted:

Possibly, since it's based off a blood transfusion from Bruce. Thing is, her power-up isn't ain't based on rage, so it's not an issue.

Hakkesshu posted:

oh my god "missile tow" oh my gooooooooooooood

Is it more or less funny given there is an actual TOW missile? It's an acronym, but it exists.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

More Spidey Super Stories. Because what the gently caress else would it be from?

I'm fairly impressed. Those first panels basically wrap up the Silver Surfer and his early comic arcs perfectly. This is showing once more why I'm liking this stuff.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 28, 2013

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I just realized, I recognize the robot in panel four from a Sesame Street context, but I don't remember what it was called...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

Kang wanting to wage war on America because they pre-empted Mr. Rogers is a better villain origin story than anything Stan Lee could come up with.

I'd be pretty pissed off too if a firework was launched through my window.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

PupsOfWar posted:

Tigra's swimsuit covers more skin- er, fur... than her actual costume. :psyduck:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While whoever that is in the back if she is in any position but that one her tits are just going to be constantly showing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FredMSloniker posted:

I just realized, I recognize the robot in panel four from a Sesame Street context, but I don't remember what it was called...

And it's god to know that Spider-Man, Genis and Moondragon can rely on Han Solo to fly them around in a pinch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cap, a Hulk, and 2 gods. Yeah, that seems fair.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And it's god to know that Spider-Man, Genis and Moondragon can rely on Han Solo to fly them around in a pinch.

And that the Pentagon can get them a million tons of tnt within "several minutes".

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, I mean literally, I think that robot is from Sesame Street. Hang on...

(Spidey Super Stories #31.)

A ha! I knew I wasn't imagining it! Spidey Super Stories started life as a skit on the PBS show 'The Electric Company' (Marvel let them use the character free of charge), and it looks like the Children's Television Workshop returned the favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
US Agent is gonna have an aneurysm if he keeps straining like that.

Does anyone have that Xmen two pager with them at the pool?

• Locked thread