Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Ooh, what's in the box?

Oh, hello there, p-bass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

I made a thing! Mexican Fender body, Warmoth neck (compound radius, wizard profile, SS ultra-jumbo frets, finished by me with Tru-oil that will have wax over it when my wax gets here), EMG-SAV pickups, Schaller mini locking tuners. I've been letting the neck settle for a few days and while there was initially some buzz (straight edge tells me that fret 17 is high, I'll get a fretting hammer and try tapping it down eventually), at this point I'm fairly certain that the small amount of remaining buzz is from the 7-38 strings tuned to Eb. Probably gonna move back up to 8-40s, the 7 just feels... fragile.

The SAVs are amazing pickups. I was going to go with an EMG-S set, but the SAVs were on deep discount, and I'm glad they were. I believe the SAVs are the vintage-voiced alnico magnet single coils, and they have all of the "hi-fi" of the EMG-S without any of the sterility that actives are sometimes known for - I can get a decently close 80s Eric Johnson tone with just a tube screamer and playing with the knobs.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
That thing is pretty man! But i gotta say, what caught my eye most is... .07? How do you even pluck it without it going sharp? How often do they snap? Is that a banjo string or the 2nd G from a 12 string set or something like that?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

juche mane posted:

That thing is pretty man! But i gotta say, what caught my eye most is... .07? How do you even pluck it without it going sharp? How often do they snap? Is that a banjo string or the 2nd G from a 12 string set or something like that?

Well, I pick pretty lightly - I can't even really play an acoustic guitar without making a concerted effort to pick harder. This is the first time I've tried 007s, so I can't give a good idea on how long they last, but I have a set of 008s on a bedroom guitar that I play almost every day that have been going strong for... 6-8 months? Somewhat paradoxically, I like lighter strings more when they're worn in to the point where I'd have changed them if they were 10s or 11s. As to where the string came from, Dunlop makes - or made, but I think they're still in production - a set of 7-38 strings. It's "Mexican Lottery" brand and I think they're the signature strings for (one of?) the guitarists from Z.Z. Top. They also come in 8-40, which I think I'm gonna stick with. 7 is just a bit TOO floppy, at least in Eb.

I mostly use such thin strings for legato/tapping, although with my light touch I can pick fine on them. They definitely sound a bit different than 9s or 10s or 11s, but not really in a bad way to my ears at least. I think it's generally wrong to say that they sound "thin", there's something harmonically different in a way that's hard to place (pinch harmonics seem harder? But that might be the single coils...)

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Pretty.

Doctor Tog
Oct 10, 2008

Gnumonic posted:

Well, I pick pretty lightly - I can't even really play an acoustic guitar without making a concerted effort to pick harder. This is the first time I've tried 007s, so I can't give a good idea on how long they last, but I have a set of 008s on a bedroom guitar that I play almost every day that have been going strong for... 6-8 months? Somewhat paradoxically, I like lighter strings more when they're worn in to the point where I'd have changed them if they were 10s or 11s. As to where the string came from, Dunlop makes - or made, but I think they're still in production - a set of 7-38 strings. It's "Mexican Lottery" brand and I think they're the signature strings for (one of?) the guitarists from Z.Z. Top. They also come in 8-40, which I think I'm gonna stick with. 7 is just a bit TOO floppy, at least in Eb.

I mostly use such thin strings for legato/tapping, although with my light touch I can pick fine on them. They definitely sound a bit different than 9s or 10s or 11s, but not really in a bad way to my ears at least. I think it's generally wrong to say that they sound "thin", there's something harmonically different in a way that's hard to place (pinch harmonics seem harder? But that might be the single coils...)

Yeah Billy Gibbons has a signature set of 7s and 8s. According to this he uses the 8s for Eb too, so I wouldn't be too concerned about using the "thick" strings for that! I think Yngwie uses 8.5s with Eb too.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Billy Gibbons must have a light enough touch to jerk off a fly.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

HollisBrown posted:

Billy Gibbons must have a light enough touch to jerk off a fly.

Posting this because it's the only time it will ever be remotely relevant ever again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F89McWFENTs

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 25, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I find this most interesting because there was a series of posters in the guitar mags when I was a kid in the 80s about what guitarists used for picks.
Billy Gibbons, if I remember, was a standout. He was, and so was George Lynch.

Lynch played with a thin metal washer, and Gibbons had US Quarter-dollar coins that had been pressed into a tear-drop shape.

Observe!

(who knows how much of this is bullshit or real?)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I last read (also in the 80s at some point) that he used a Peso coin.

I then tried using a quarter for a while.
Strings are expensive for a kid, especially when you're breaking at least 2 a day.

That week sucked.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Robert Fripp used a Dorito for a pick?

Related, I'm realizing that I'm more and more enjoying using pointier and pointier picks. Also, I've been carving up my picks with a razor blade to make them grippier because the fuckers keep sliding and turning. poo poo sucks, yo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Those carbon fiber Max Grip jazz picks Dunlop makes are the solution to all the world's problems. And they actually take a couple weeks to wear down.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

Robert Fripp used a Dorito for a pick?

Related, I'm realizing that I'm more and more enjoying using pointier and pointier picks. Also, I've been carving up my picks with a razor blade to make them grippier because the fuckers keep sliding and turning. poo poo sucks, yo.

http://www.davapick.com

They are amazing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can't wait for people to post their Christmas haul in here. Hopefully there are lots of new players with shiny new hobbies.

Yeah I'm in love with these now. They're very durable and have a good amount grip and the tone is perfect for me.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I'm in love with these now. They're very durable and have a good amount grip and the tone is perfect for me.

Looking at picking some up, is there any great difference between the normal ones, jazz grips, and the rock control ones do you know? I normally play with dunlop jazz 3 ultex or max-grip picks.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I was absolutely certain that Dunlop gator-grip medium picks were for me until my brother gave me a Petrucci Jazz plectrum and I haven't let go of it since, incredible how wrong I was.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Oh poo poo, pick chat time and Agreed is back now.

I agree with Agreed. Thick smooth picks are the tits. Your fingers grip really smooth surfaces better than regular pick believe it or not.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
What I've been looking for is a pick the size and dimensions of a v-pick screamer but made out of metal. Are those out there?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Manky posted:

What I've been looking for is a pick the size and dimensions of a v-pick screamer but made out of metal. Are those out there?

This is your lucky day.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3595683

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Looking at picking some up, is there any great difference between the normal ones, jazz grips, and the rock control ones do you know? I normally play with dunlop jazz 3 ultex or max-grip picks.

I used to use Jazz III picks until I picked up the Dava picks. I've only played the red ones so I don't know what the difference is between the different colours.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oh yeah, thanks - I had seen that guy before, wasn't sure if they'd have equipment to file the edges down (I sure don't). They also ask for CAD drawings which I don't have. I'll ask him, but I'm still interested to know if there are already products out there.

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 25, 2013

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

comes along bort posted:

Those carbon fiber Max Grip jazz picks Dunlop makes are the solution to all the world's problems. And they actually take a couple weeks to wear down.

Just got some in my stocking, can't wait to try em out. Now if only I could afford a carbon fiber violin bow.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have sweaty-ish hands and I like thick picks that push through the string (I really dig in sometimes, because my pickups talk when I want them to.)
I've been usinf Dunlop Tortex 1.44mm (the thick purple ones) for as long as I can remember, now. Should I try something else? I mean, it doesn't feel broke...

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

:colbert:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I played those, then the green ones, and when I hit the purple ones I felt like I was there. I am not going back to a thinner pick without good reason.

I love the feel of a fresh Tortex, though.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
A Christmas telecaster:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
OMFG that is beautiful. Love that natural swamp ash body. Nice saddles, too.
How do you like it so far?

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Dunlop Jazztones yet. The only pick to use for smooth cleans.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
new toy new toy with appropriately terrible cell phone picture

20 minutes of fooling around, I think it sounds good. I apparently have not figured out the fat/smooth switch correctly, though, because setting it to fat makes my Les Paul sound like an icepick.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apologies for the dumb Instagram pictures, but here:

Arturia Microbrute analog synth

Zvex Instant LoFi Junky pedal

I've played around with both of these for a little while and am enjoying them so far. They probably have tons of uses that I haven't even discovered yet. I haven't had the chance to record any demos with them, though, since my computer died on Christmas Eve and it'll be a little while before I'm able to build a new one.

Hydrogenated
Apr 9, 2010
Got a used Godin for Christmas. My moms boyfriend gave it a setup and a new pair of strings. Big upgrade over my terrible starter guitar that I've had for 6 years. My mom and her boyfriend also got a ukelele for my son, but no picture of that.

Hydrogenated fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 29, 2013

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Pawn shop put this out about an hour before I walked in.

Squier Mustang, used but excellent condition. No bar for the vibrato, the posts on the tailpiece weren't in right(threaded part on the pivot point), and the strings were on the front edge of the bridge with the saddles not even touching. Quick and basic setup and it plays great. Shown with my other thrift shop find, a UK Immigration jacket, which is an odd thing to find in the US.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

HollisBrown posted:

Oh poo poo, pick chat time and Agreed is back now.

I agree with Agreed. Thick smooth picks are the tits. Your fingers grip really smooth surfaces better than regular pick believe it or not.

This is one of the unexpected benefits of engineering thermoplastics; while a 12"x12"x6mm sheet of Torlon might cost like $1500+, holy shiiiit does that stuff make great bearings for use in nuclear reactors picks. Same with some other really high end plastics, too. Patrick Hufschmid makes the most advanced thermoplastic picks available, second place goes to Matthew at Blue Chip - they probably get some discounting on their orders since the whole pick thing is kind of a side-gig for their main operation, but the plastic they're using is rated for extreme temperature and altitude ratings and has extraordinarily low friction with very good structural stability, can be used as a replacement for steel in many applications though it's better used for bearings. They'll show scratches on the sides but they'll not wear out unless you're playing an 8-string and you have a heavier hand than god. Matthew will make whatever shape you want so long as you have an example to send him; I have one that's a little bigger than a V-Picks Medium Rounded but otherwise very similar in shape but has the Blue Chip speed bevel on it, that fucker's a blisteringly fast player.

If you want fancy, excellent picks made with engineering-grade thermoplastics, talk to Patrick Hufschmid and Matthew at Blue Chip. They're "The Guys" for that kind of thing. There are other "The Guys" for different kinds of things.

My own recent pick acquisitions are, however, mainly aimed at filling holes that 2013 put in my V-Picks collection! Definitely getting that ~12mm Shredder-shaped pick because I'm nuts as poo poo and it looks purty, but I'm also for sure picking up the 1980 (hey, V-Picks like Mr. V made 'em back in the day? sign me the hell up), the Gypsy Jazz circular pick, the Farley (got a soft spot for rounded picks that have a more conventional general shape :3:), and in the land of "it came before x-mas!" I already got the Mummy and an extra Medium Rounded, courtesy of my good friend FactoryFactory who posts mainly in SH/SC as part of a gift-exchange. 'Tis the season, y'all!

Speaking of the Medium Rounded, by the by... I am lately of the opinion that you can't really have too many of those Medium Rounded picks, it's a brilliant go-to pick and my first recommendation to anyone on the fence about the whole V-Picks "thing" - try the Medium Rounded or the Tradition, if you don't like them maybe acrylic's not a good material for you, if you click with them you're gonna be giving Vinni so much money. So much. The Medium Rounded is like a Phillips #2. It works for so many applications. If you need a more specialized tool, of course they're out there! But if you don't, damned if it isn't a lot of pick for a relatively quite small outlay, especially compared to the price and the hoops you have to jump through with some other makers (none mentioned in this post - all stand-up guys here).

Also I'm on the waitlist for a 2013-style Openhaus, but that won't come due for like a year. Which is both sad and amusing, because I have an Openhaus from 2011 that works amazingly well but Ed is convinced and quite convincing that having the full 6-band active EQ and the larger box is really necessary to realize his original design intentions; the smaller shape of the older Openhaus pedals and the concessions to that shape mean that while they are GOD DAMNED FINE pedals and sound more like an amp than anything outside of an actual tight, high gain amp (seriously, you want a gen-yoo-wine recto-in-a-box, the Openhaus is a loving Mark IV in pedal form, run it into any backline amp you find and tweak it with the EQ and you'll get THAT sound and feel, it's goddamned uncanny).

FINALLY, once I get a few things sold I'm buying an Ethos. That doesn't HAVE a waitlist anymore, gently caress yeah I want an Ethos.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
That reminds me, I need to order some more V-picks. The Psycho is so good for bass that I've worn mine out.

Sheldon Dingwall made a post on Talkbass.com about some new options for the Super P, so I went ahead and changed my order. A sunburst Super P5 with a wenge/wenge neck will be coming my way this summer.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I agree with everything Agreed said about the medium rounded but with the medium pointed instead. But honestly that's gonna be all about your technique, I can hardly make noise with rounded picks. I ordered a set from V Picks once and they sent me the Bb and I was totally unable to make sound with it.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

widefault posted:

Pawn shop put this out about an hour before I walked in.

Squier Mustang, used but excellent condition. No bar for the vibrato, the posts on the tailpiece weren't in right(threaded part on the pivot point), and the strings were on the front edge of the bridge with the saddles not even touching. Quick and basic setup and it plays great. Shown with my other thrift shop find, a UK Immigration jacket, which is an odd thing to find in the US.

Scout Niblett is that you????

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

I agree with everything Agreed said about the medium rounded but with the medium pointed instead. But honestly that's gonna be all about your technique, I can hardly make noise with rounded picks. I ordered a set from V Picks once and they sent me the Bb and I was totally unable to make sound with it.

The more practice you get with a variety of plectrum types and sizes and thicknesses, the easier it gets to adapt quickly to new or odd shapes. I can play with anything these days, it's just down to what do I want to play with now? But I have like three hundred or more boutique (and about 80 or so mass-market! D'Andrea makes some damned nice cellulose picks, and Dunlop's TechPicks are great in Brass, to name two faves from the "oh these are 12 for $6-ish" lineup) picks from various manufacturers in various shapes, which is a silly road that people should avoid. :q: Find what you like, stick with it.

Here's a better representation of my own opinion: Medium Rounded if you often use a Fender Medium (D'Andrea 351 shape) or one of the less sharp pick shapes around there; Medium Pointed if you often use a Jazz III or its variants or any other sharper plectrum.

Hell, call Vinni on the phone during his business hours at 615-927-5989 and tell him Jeff Baker sent you and tell him what kind of pick you currently use, I'd bet dollars to donuts he'll figure out a couple options, and if he's able, probably only charge you for one of 'em. He's awesome at that sort of thing, and really wants to make you his customer. He was the guy to get me past the mass-market, injection-molded picks into the stuff that involves varying degrees of work by hand and/or production in much smaller quantities.

I'd like to be clear in case people think I'm a crazy person that I don't actually think there's anything magically superior about various materials these boutique guys - it all comes down to simple and measurable characteristics at the materials level. However, Dunlop's injection-molded Delrin picks do not, to my ears, and definitely not to my fingers, approach the level of quality or craftsmanship of (even arguably inferior) plastics used by folks who are making these things one at a time.

There's a level of attention to detail that goes beyond mere "this batch is within tolerance" and gets into "I care about what I'm doing here" and you can really come to appreciate that, in my experience. Usually within a few minutes of getting a unique pick shape that really clicks with you.

Okay, back to the Mummy. This loving thing is so cool, haha. It's like a REALLY unbuffed Tradition 2.75mm, but with ground-in grips and a sharper bevel. Thing doesn't pluck the string so much as bite and gnaw on it for ya. Ooooh, nice. They look like this :) Click to go to the shop page, and I got Vinni's permission to direct link so no worries there. Imguring each one of these things would be a pain in the dick.

Mummy (because, you know, it looks wrapped! ka-ka-ka-yeeeeeaaah seriously though this is a great, sharp-edged, grippy take on a conventional pick shape and I quite like it)

And incoming directly, on order right now, just gotta wait on the post office...(click images for more details)

Farley (thicker picks with rounded bevels make me happy :) I think he worked with an amigo of his on this one?)

1980 (this is purported to be the original style V-Pick and it was sufficient to make him a huge success in the pick business, I want to see what was so cool about it too now that it's out for general consumption again)

Extreme (at ~12mm this gigantic thing pretty much explains itself)

Later, in the close future, orders held until some local guitars sell, planning to round things out with...

Jalapeņo (big fan of the Euro and Euro II, would like to see the same grip-holes concept applied to this neat shape - cool color, too)

Bullseye (gonna get one buffed, one unbuffed to see which I prefer, but I think I'll like the grippy bit and it's not a powder or anything, it's laser etched, so it's not going anywhere)

Gypsy (seen a lot of pick makers do this kinda shape and I want to try Vinni's take on it!)

Finally, from there, just have to make my way through the four Signature models and I'll be caught back up. Man, you take one year off buying picks, and...

:shepface:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 29, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I have no idea how anybody can play chords, especially fast or palm muted chords with inflexible picks.

I moved up from .50 tortex picks to .60's and I still beat the poo poo out of the strings a little bit.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

I have no idea how anybody can play chords, especially fast or palm muted chords with inflexible picks.

I moved up from .50 tortex picks to .60's and I still beat the poo poo out of the strings a little bit.

I can make a recording with a 12mm pick if you want just for some quick metal crap. Warning, danger, my playing is shite as I've been totally hosed in the back for like a year and can only sorta barely play now but I'm having fun with it and I'd totally do it just to prove it can be done if you're interested.

Hell, I think I have a 14mm pick around, a one-off super-gigantic that Patrick made a while back and sold to me. :D To be fair, it's down to a reasonable ~4mm at the point.

:unsmigghh: