Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The problem is getting a copy of Armada 2 unless you pirate it. It sells for a lot since the game was pretty limited in copies and hasn't been available via retail since first release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Fleet Operations is pretty good fun

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I haven't played it since around 2009, has it changed much since?

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 29, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Does Fleet Operations let you plat as a morally corrupt, possibly insane Admiral who is out to commit a xenocide?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't discover it until 2012 so I don't know. I should have some friends pick it up, seems like a dece lan game

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Railing Kill posted:

I couldn't help but think of the conclusion in the light of more recent sci fi, though, or even DS9 at its darkest. A captain with privileged information gets assimilated by an unstoppable enemy bent on the destruction of civilization as we know it, and then suddenly, neatly "unassimilated"? Debrief that guy and then shove him out the nearest airlock. Or, ship him to some distant third world country starbase where the CIA Section 31 Starfleet Intelligence can keep chatting with him for the next few years. It just seemed like they let ol' Picard off easy for the danger he represented/continues to represent. But I'm probably just speaking as a cynical, post-9/11, post BSG viewer. :smug:

Picard being assimilated was a way to potentially write Patrick Stewart off the show as he and Paramount were having a contract dispute and Paramount wanted to be ready to let him go if necessary. Since they didn't let him go, they had to be able to incorporate him back into the show. The episode after BOBW, Family, was actually the result of the writers and producers vehemently arguing that they really couldn't just mash the reset button after such a traumatic experience.

That said, drat dude, you'd just cold space the guy? Not mandatory retirement from Starfleet active duty and reassignment to a defense think tank, not a lifetime pension and therapy, just *pfft* out the window or stuck in an interrogation chamber forever? If Star Trek can't be the advocate for at least attempting to behave ethically, who can?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Star Trek is pretty good at bending the definition of ethics to fit whatever plot they've devised imo

See: kurn

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Trek games chat is depressing because it's been like ten years since an okay Star Trek game has come out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you didn't let officers return to duty after being assimilated/ mind controlled/ put into alien stasis to live out a separate lifetime/ de-evolved/ hyper-evolved/ phased/ merged with another officer and then separated/ kept in a pattern buffer for 70 years, etc, etc, you'd have nothing but green cadets manning the ships and we all know how that turns out.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Trent posted:

If you didn't let officers return to duty after being assimilated/ mind controlled/ put into alien stasis to live out a separate lifetime/ de-evolved/ hyper-evolved/ phased/ merged with another officer and then separated/ kept in a pattern buffer for 70 years, etc, etc, you'd have nothing but green cadets manning the ships and we all know how that turns out.

Yeah they all start chanting in unison about how awesome they are.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Conquistador posted:

Star Trek is pretty good at bending the definition of ethics to fit whatever plot they've devised imo

See: kurn

And yet they still manage to not defend unrepentant pedophiles

Neelix doesn't count no matter how much you want him to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Trek games chat is depressing because it's been like ten years since an okay Star Trek game has come out.
Even worse, just look at the number of games that have even been released since 2005. You can count them on one hand.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
:qqsay:

I like how you managed to bring Neelix into this

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even worse, just look at the number of games that have even been released since 2005. You can count them on one hand.

Every Trek game that comes out from now on is almost certianly going to take place in the Abramsverse. :smith:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That's ok, JJTrek is better suited to mindless shootemups. Although Elite Force was fun as hell even though it was Voyager.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Tighclops posted:

That's ok, JJTrek is better suited to mindless shootemups. Although Elite Force was fun as hell even though it was Voyager.

Too bad Elite Force 2 didn't live up to it.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Thom12255 posted:

Too bad Elite Force 2 didn't live up to it.

EF2 let you use a tricorder to call in orbital strikes and massacre Romulans with a Bat'leth. It owned. :colbert:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Preechr posted:

EF2 let you use a tricorder to call in orbital strikes and massacre Romulans with a Bat'leth. It owned. :colbert:

Multiplayer never took off though, that's where the fun was.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Preechr posted:

It was weird that they got the entire Voyager cast to voice their characters in the first game, but in the second they could only manage Patrick Stewart, Tim Russ, and the guy who was Reg Barclay.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was weird that they got the entire Voyager cast to voice their characters in the first game, but in the second they could only manage Patrick Stewart, Tim Russ, and the guy who was Reg Barclay.

And that Barclay suddenly became a super gung-ho hardass.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Preechr posted:

And that Barclay suddenly became a super gung-ho hardass.

... It all took place on Barclay's holodeck didn't it?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That looks awesomely hilarious, I can only assume all those ships are about 30 seconds away from all smashing into each other. Armada 2 was the one that's like an RTS, right? You can't actually fly the individual ships? I really liked Bridge Commander, but even with all the mods and ship add-ons I ran out of things to do pretty quick. You can only fly around and shoot other ships for so long. I'd love another ship-based game like that, but with a better solo campaign.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Knormal posted:

I'd love another ship-based game like that, but with a better solo campaign.

FTL? Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator? Battlecruiser 3000 AD? :v:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Artemis Bridge Simulator, known far and wide for its solo campaigns,

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Klingon Academy is an easy suggestion if you can get a hold of it and the Windows 7 Fan patch.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

It's also depressing that, if you want to take SFC2 or The Fallen out for a spin, you either need to pay through the nose on eBay or pirate it, since there's nothing available for download anywhere. Come to think of it, does anyone know who owns the rights for Trek digital multimedia or whatever it's called? I guess that they haven't bothered to license the old titles on GOG or whatever since they figure there's no money to be made in updating a bunch of forgotten games that would appeal only to a small group of nostalgic nerds who probably already own them all.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

I feel like STO has improved a lot in the years since launch, so there's that, at least.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I feel like STO has improved a lot in the years since launch, so there's that, at least.

It really had nowhere to go but up.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

I see the Borg Cube, Spheres, and Pyramids but where are the Borg Klein Bottles?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All the Borg Klein bottles were destroyed by insane Stafleet Admirals.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Here's some Bij I found for you guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWzCn0jN55s

It's a fan-reading of "The Return." Written by William Shatner. Where the Romulans and Borg form an alliance and decide to dig up Shatner as step 1 in their plan to defeat the Federation.

I am suffering, and did not want to hoard all this Bij.

E:
"There was an unsettling moment of quantum transition... and then Will Riker beamed into HELL."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 29, 2013

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

FTL? Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator? Battlecruiser 3000 AD? :v:
Nah, I want something where I can fly real Star Trek ships around. I'm the worst kind of nerd and want something in-universe even if the other games are better or more realistic, something where I can actually put all this useless knowledge about starship classes and Trek technology clogging up my brain to use.

Mr. Jive posted:

I see the Borg Cube, Spheres, and Pyramids but where are the Borg Klein Bottles?
At first glance I though that asteroid was some kind of Borg Abstract Shape.

On second glance is that Federation fleet nothing but Akiras?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Knormal posted:

Nah, I want something where I can fly real Star Trek ships around. I'm the worst kind of nerd and want something in-universe even if the other games are better or more realistic, something where I can actually put all this useless knowledge about starship classes and Trek technology clogging up my brain to use.

At first glance I though that asteroid was some kind of Borg Abstract Shape.

On second glance is that Federation fleet nothing but Akiras?

Yeah I decided just to throw an entire fleet of Akira's at the borg to see if they could beat them back, they got annihilated.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Best of Both Worlds ending is total trash. Which makes a lot of what come before it trash too.

Anyone actually played some Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator? I own it, I bought it because it was dirt cheap and I was with people that were keen. But anyone actually got it installed on a stack of computers.. set a lounge room.. done all the stuff? Is it good? Why is it good/bad?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Tony Montana posted:

Best of Both Worlds ending is total trash. Which makes a lot of what come before it trash too.

Anyone actually played some Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator? I own it, I bought it because it was dirt cheap and I was with people that were keen. But anyone actually got it installed on a stack of computers.. set a lounge room.. done all the stuff? Is it good? Why is it good/bad?

I played it with some family while I was visiting for the holidays, it's just fun as hell playing together with a group. It was just my cousin and my sister, but I imagine it's even better in a larger group.

Edit: How long has this been on Steam?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Describe it to me. What do you do? Are the missions cool? Is it just 'there is a ship, pew pew time' or is there some Treky poo poo in there?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
It seems pretty pew pew from the videos I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Q2X32hZNk

I have to admit it looks as though it would be pretty fun for a party game.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Tony Montana posted:

Describe it to me. What do you do? Are the missions cool? Is it just 'there is a ship, pew pew time' or is there some Treky poo poo in there?
It's a lot of fun, especially with four or five people and a captain ordering you around and yelling "MAKE IT SO" but the missions are extremely limited. Basically, "An alien is attacking Spacebase 5!" *blow up alien* *rinse and repeat four times* "You win!"

Heavy drinking and the resultant occasional accidental firing of nuclear missiles adds some spice.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Do you all have to shake in your seats when the ship is hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you don't I think you've missed the point of the "let's get drunk and accidentally commit planetary genocide" simulator.

(I've never played it but this is what I gather it's about)

• Locked thread