Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Depends on the mod. Huge ones packed in ultra-compression 7zips, yeah. Also given that Nexus has been making GBS threads itself lately, I imagine that's not helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do love the Nexus tech support. "Well, millions of people using NMM DON'T have any problems, so if it's only affecting a few people that's not a concern, just wait for the next update"

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ernie Muppari posted:

So...is it normal for downloading or installing mods through MO to take for-loving-ever? 'Cause dang has this been taking a while.

It's probably the Nexus making GBS threads itself. The Nexus has been down or broken 90% of the time for the past few months.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

Avocados posted:

I'll load them in then. BOSS and MO seem to be the most used mod loaders, which one is the most newbie friendly? Or are both choices good either way?

Also, i'm debating between using SPERG and the balanced Stealth Skills mod since I like playing Skyrim like Metal Gear. Except by the time I hit level 35 or so I was able to pickpocket dungeon "bosses" and remove their weapons, and then backstab in one hit. Then I could hide in plain sight as the goonies "looked" for me.

The question regarding BOSS and MO seems to have been answered, so I'll address the other one.
SPERG isn't just a perk overhaul; it isn't kidding around about the 'rebalanced gameplay' aspect. It makes the vast majority of skills more interesting and varied in usage, and includes a number of quality-of-life improvements (like automatically leveling armor skills over time, and granting you certain perks automatically as you level skills).

Both Stealth Skills Rebalanced and its competitor Path of Shadows (I use the latter, but that's mainly nostalgia on my part) have modular versions that change detection radius and the time enemies search for you, etc., but do not change perk trees, and thus don't conflict with SPERG.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Psion posted:

Depends on the mod. Huge ones packed in ultra-compression 7zips, yeah. Also given that Nexus has been making GBS threads itself lately, I imagine that's not helping.

Yeah, the main Seattle server still just dumps me to a blank page when I manually download, so I can totally believe the Nexus servers being poo poo. 7zip and MO not playing well together also make sense, maybe I'll just go totally crazy and repack everything in much less pain in my rear end .zip files using Deflate64 to save even more space than 7zip :v:.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Not that the nexus servers aren't poo poo, but with the seasonal steam sales, Skyrim's been seeing a huge spike in sales, so I'm sure that's not helping at all either.

Really wish more mod authors would take advantage of the steam workshop.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Sometimes when it seems like a mod install in MO is taking forever I find it's because there's an options window that has popped up behind my browser or whatever but doesn't show up on the taskbar.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Does Tamriel Compendium still work? I wanted to increase the number of in-game books but from the looks of things it hasn't updated in almost two years.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Ernie Muppari posted:

Yeah, the main Seattle server still just dumps me to a blank page when I manually download, so I can totally believe the Nexus servers being poo poo. 7zip and MO not playing well together also make sense, maybe I'll just go totally crazy and repack everything in much less pain in my rear end .zip files using Deflate64 to save even more space than 7zip :v:.
MO plays fine with 7zip. If after you have downloaded the mod and clicking through the install dialogue it hangs you got something jacked. More likely if you just click download with manager on the nexus MO is waiting for the nexus to unfuck itself and let you download.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Really wish more mod authors would take advantage of the steam workshop.

Nexus sucks but the workshop is terrible in its own way. You can't control versions so if a mod author uploads a new version that breaks saves there goes your game. It also only allows esp and bsa files and has a pretty small size limit. That means most mods people want can't be uploaded there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Does Tamriel Compendium still work? I wanted to increase the number of in-game books but from the looks of things it hasn't updated in almost two years.

there is Books Books Books but that does more or less the same as Tamriel Compendium.

It isn't really a super major mod, all you need to do is Bash or merge the leveled lists it provides and you should be good to go.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So food and horses are basically worthless eyecandy in the vanilla game, right?

I mean not that that's stopped me from filling my house with sweet rolls just because I thought it was funny.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Food, yeah pretty much. Horses are potentially useful if you ever travel long distances without using fast-travel.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Horses are primarily mountain climbing tools in Skyrim.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ShadowMar posted:

Horses are primarily mountain climbing tools in Skyrim.

And fighting dragons.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

The SPERG compatibility patch for Stealth Skills Rebalanced doesn't seem to work with the current version of SPERG (it isn't recognising the SPERG.esm). Anyone have a working version?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Troubleshooting
If your uncapper file isn't working (i.e. you get one perk every level) try manually overwriting it in your mods directory instead of loading it through Mod Organizer.

I have this problem with SPERG but when I check out my Skyrim directory I don't have a MODS directory in there. Is this because I load everything with MO or is there something else I'm doing wrong?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Overwrite it in the Uncapper directory in the Mod Organizer mods folder. There isn't a mods folder in the Skyrim directory.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Newb here, just learning this stuff and still not sure what I'm doing, but got some questions for you guys.

What do I do here? BOSS is telling me the load order and has set it but Mod Organizer is telling me this.

Also when BOSS poops out a log there are these Bash Tag suggestions, what are these? Can they be ignored without issues. Besides the cleaning of the 4 files with TES5Edit, does everything look good?

Few more miscellaneous things, do I now have to launch the game every time now with Mod Organizer, will the Steam overlay + achievements still work if I do, and is there a way to get a borderless fullscreen window working without causing issue with my mouse pointer.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Newb here, just learning this stuff and still not sure what I'm doing, but got some questions for you guys.

What do I do here? BOSS is telling me the load order and has set it but Mod Organizer is telling me this.

Ignore it. If you swap them around, Mod Organiser will suggest you swap them back :downs:

quote:

Also when BOSS poops out a log there are these Bash Tag suggestions, what are these? Can they be ignored without issues. Besides the cleaning of the 4 files with TES5Edit, does everything look good?

The Bash Tags are the tags those mods need in Wrye Bash. More often then not, Wrye Bash will tag those mods anyway, but a)it's good to check, and b)it's a good indicator of which mods actually need Bashing. Here's a good video on the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg2S7K1Nhd8

quote:

Few more miscellaneous things, do I now have to launch the game every time now with Mod Organizer, will the Steam overlay + achievements still work if I do, and is there a way to get a borderless fullscreen window working without causing issue with my mouse pointer.

Yes if you want to use mods, yes, and no idea.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Im_Special posted:

Mod Organizer is alerting you to the fact that your ESPs are being loaded in a different order than the loose files that are overwriting eachother. To fix it, swap the unofficial patches for Dragonborn and Hearthfire in the left pane. I've no idea what's going on with When Vampires Attack there though.

quote:

is there a way to get a borderless fullscreen window working without causing issue with my mouse pointer
I use OneTweak

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Another quickie, there seems to be another clash of info going on between BOSS and Wrye, I'm not sure which one to listen to.

From the BOSS picture earlier and using the Unofficial Skyrim Patch as the example, BOSS said Delev,Relev,Stats, but in Wyre it just says Delev,Relev. Do I follow BOSS and add Stats or listen to Wyre here?

EDIT: Oh god another one, there seems to be some conflicts here, any idea how to solve them?

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 30, 2013

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
So uh anyone know how to fix that SPERG thing where the phantom weapons don't disappear? It's not even the weapons but the magic invisible people carrying them.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
It's a bug I've never been able to reproduce. Best I can tell, it only happens when Skyrim starts to forget things it was doing (such as when you're running a lot of mods, particularly script heavy ones). It seems as though despite the spell effect being removed from your character, Skyrim forgets to clean up the actor spawned by it. Think of it kind of like when you remove a mod without uninstalling it - all of the mod's scripts are still running, but they no longer belong to any mod, so you can no longer remove them. The phantom actor is kind of like those scripts - just a random thing that Skyrim forgot it's supposed to remove, so it hasn't.

Since the actor is still there, but there's no spell effect tied to it, there's no way to get rid of it. You might be able to kill or disable it from the console, but otherwise the only thing you can do is revert to a save from before it happened. If anybody knows of a better way, or of a way I could reliably reproduce the bug in order to fix it, I'd love to hear it.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I had it happen repeatedly when calming the last hostile around, especially if I was only "in combat" for a moment or two before calming them (because they were the only hostile nearby).

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Interesting, thanks seorin. Do you have a base ID for it? I could try disabling via console. The last save option would preferably be a last resort as it would go back a while before I noticed it's there.

kaschei, did you have any specific method for getting rid of it? I've gone to a dungeon and killed a bunch of bandits but it was still there afterwards (not sure that helps).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think you can just click on it and use "disable"?

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I've gone ahead and followed the guides here and done the mods recommended for people playing first time through. It's made the difference between me continuing to play the game... to think that something as simple as dialogue boxes and the inventory screen were such trash before, boggles the mind.

Anyway, after playing for a bit more I'd like to do some visual modding. I've already got the high res texture packs, so that's sorted. Frankly, I simply don't understand the 3rd post (the visual modding one). Can someone point me to a guide that I should follow? I just want something that looks awesome, but not necessarily makes snow storms actually matter gameplay wise.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Okay, so I've finally got everything sorted out with MO, tried the high res packs, realized my computer is just slightly not poo poo-hot enough to use them without having to do the "alt+tab to dump ram and run without stupid lag" trick every ~three minutes, and am now finally left with what I'm pretty sure is going to be almost my final load order. I only have two questions left:

1. Is there a mod like a less extreme Friendly Creatures? Perhaps one that just makes wildlife less likely to spawn on or near roads? I really like not having to bat a wolf in the face every ten steps, but I'm not so keen on the part where they'll pretty much never attack me and Skeevers are turned into just rats.

2. What mod/combination of mods on this list could possibly be causing my character's fave'd weapons/spells to disappear for a few seconds after using a crafting interface?

code:
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
ApachiiHairMales.esm
SPERG.esm
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Chesko_Frostfall.esp
Rayg_ShutUpMirmulnir.esp
DungeonQuestAwareness.esp
PassiveWeaponEnchantmentRecharging.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp
IMAGINATOR - Visual Control for Skyrim.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
SkyUI.esp
iHUD.esp
IMAGINATOR - MCMenu.esp
LessIntrusiveHUD.esp
Cloaks.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
CNHF-MasterMageRobes.esp
hardenedfalmer-cnhf.esp
FloraRespawnFix.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
Morrowloot.esp
SkyFalls Plus SkyMills - All DLC.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
RND_Dawnguard-Patch.esp
RND_HearthFires-Patch.esp
RND_Dragonborn-Patch.esp
RND_USKP-Patch.esp
SPERG.esp
SPERG-DG.esp
SPERG-DB.esp
SPERG Weapons and Armor Complete.esp
VendorSaleDelay-Gone.esp
ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp
Waves.esp
SouTear and Calyps Vampire Armor.esp
EDIT: Two of those weren't actually active.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 30, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Muslim Wookie posted:

I've gone ahead and followed the guides here and done the mods recommended for people playing first time through. It's made the difference between me continuing to play the game... to think that something as simple as dialogue boxes and the inventory screen were such trash before, boggles the mind.

Anyway, after playing for a bit more I'd like to do some visual modding. I've already got the high res texture packs, so that's sorted. Frankly, I simply don't understand the 3rd post (the visual modding one). Can someone point me to a guide that I should follow? I just want something that looks awesome, but not necessarily makes snow storms actually matter gameplay wise.

I'm assuming that by Hi-res packs you mean the free DLC?

If so, start with Climates of Tamriel (along with the CoT weather patches and Supreme Storms for better storms) and Enhanced Lights and FX for lighting (exterior and interior, respectively). Then go with SMIM for improved meshes so everything looks better. After that you can pile on SkyrimHD and the aMidianBorn texture packs. Once you've got that down, go with the Vivid Landscapes series and Realistic Water Two. Follow that up with an ENB or SweetFX preset and you should be good to go. Beyond that it's a matter of preference.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Scyantific posted:

I'm assuming that by Hi-res packs you mean the free DLC?

If so, start with Climates of Tamriel (along with the CoT weather patches and Supreme Storms for better storms) and Enhanced Lights and FX for lighting (exterior and interior, respectively). Then go with SMIM for improved meshes so everything looks better. After that you can pile on SkyrimHD and the aMidianBorn texture packs. Once you've got that down, go with the Vivid Landscapes series and Realistic Water Two.

Thanks alot for this! This is exactly what I wanted, I'm not the sort that can be bothered deciding which ones will look better, happy enough to be told "do this" :)

quote:

Follow that up with an ENB or SweetFX preset and you should be good to go. Beyond that it's a matter of preference.

No idea what this means though. EDIT: So I looked up ENB because I realised I'm being a lazy prick, it seems like it's a translation layer between the game and Direct3D, adjusting things on the fly. Seems pretty cool. But seems a bit fiddly, not sure I'll use it in the end.

Muslim Wookie fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 30, 2013

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Im_Special posted:

Another quickie, there seems to be another clash of info going on between BOSS and Wrye, I'm not sure which one to listen to.

From the BOSS picture earlier and using the Unofficial Skyrim Patch as the example, BOSS said Delev,Relev,Stats, but in Wyre it just says Delev,Relev. Do I follow BOSS and add Stats or listen to Wyre here?

EDIT: Oh god another one, there seems to be some conflicts here, any idea how to solve them?

For the first one, you can add it but it won't do anything for you since you don't have any other mods that alter stats anyway.

The second doesn't actually look like a problem. It's just telling you those files are overwriting another mod's files, and all those need that to happen in order to work correctly.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

kaschei posted:

I think you can just click on it and use "disable"?
Thanks but I've already tried that. It just selects/disables whatever is behind it. I disabled a large chunk of the College. :cool:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

give me thread posted:

Thanks but I've already tried that. It just selects/disables whatever is behind it. I disabled a large chunk of the College. :cool:

Unfortunately, a base ID isn't going to do you much good, either. You need a reference ID, which is unique to your game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yo, I got the game in the steam sale, all expansions, after giving up on the shitheap that was the PS3 version ages ago. What mods do you need to install so you don't move slow as poo poo, magic isn't a useless joke and you don't end up with like, 20 useless dragon souls languishing in your inventory?

Read the OP, should I just grab that first magic mod? Didn't see anything about moving like molasses, though that's more to do with Skyrim being even more spread out than the other games.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

seorin posted:

Unfortunately, a base ID isn't going to do you much good, either. You need a reference ID, which is unique to your game.
Woops OK I see what you mean. The good news is that I sorted it out by going into combat with something so that the actual battleaxe would appear. Then it was easy to select it in the console. I'm guessing this is because the actual weapon has some physical properties (i.e. is solid) and more importantly is visible?

Anyway once the refID for the phantom weapon is selected it can be disabled. Problem solved!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I have a question regarding the Skyrim HD texture packs: As I just installed them, they're at the bottom of my load order, which is causing them to overwrite files from other mods I had previously, like Vivid Landscapes, Texture Overhaul and some snow thing.

Now, from what I gathered in the op, SMIM should load after any texture packs so it doesn't get overwritten, but for the other ones, is it just a matter of choosing which one I want to have active, right? So if Skyrim HD overwrites Vivid Landscapes, I should choose which of those I like more and place it higher on the load order so it overwrites the other one?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yo, I got the game in the steam sale, all expansions, after giving up on the shitheap that was the PS3 version ages ago. What mods do you need to install so you don't move slow as poo poo, magic isn't a useless joke and you don't end up with like, 20 useless dragon souls languishing in your inventory?

Read the OP, should I just grab that first magic mod? Didn't see anything about moving like molasses, though that's more to do with Skyrim being even more spread out than the other games.

The Perk overhaul SPERG takes care of almost all of these requests but requires you to get the appropriate perks to get the bonus you are looking for, the only one not covered is the additional dragon souls. For that you will want to grab one of the dragon soul to perk mods out there. I don't use these so I don't know what one is best.

If you are looking for additional spells I would suggest the Apocalypse spell mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16225/

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have a question regarding the Skyrim HD texture packs: As I just installed them, they're at the bottom of my load order, which is causing them to overwrite files from other mods I had previously, like Vivid Landscapes, Texture Overhaul and some snow thing.

Now, from what I gathered in the op, SMIM should load after any texture packs so it doesn't get overwritten, but for the other ones, is it just a matter of choosing which one I want to have active, right? So if Skyrim HD overwrites Vivid Landscapes, I should choose which of those I like more and place it higher on the load order so it overwrites the other one?

Yeah the Skyrim HD texture packs should come first so they get overwritten by whatever else. I had this problem at first as well.

Are you using Mod Organizer? If you are, I suggest running BOSS from within MO and it will automatically sort the load order for you. If not, still run BOSS and you'll have to manually re-order your mods.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm personally a fan of Dragon Soul Relinquishment (Nexus Steam Workshop) as far as dragon soul to perk mods go. It's extremely flexible on the conversion rate and lets you convert to more than just perk points.

Also seconding Clinton1011's recommendation of Apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm using MO and BOSS, but BOSS doesn't sort the mods in left pane, only the .esp files on the right pane under "plugins".

The texture packs don't even appear there, I can only see the conflicts by going into "information" on the mod and then checking the conflicting files (which are .dds from what I see).

I may be doing something wrong, though, so feel free to correct me. :v:

• Locked thread