Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm looking for a recommendation for a low budget gaming headset, please.

Budget - Cheaper is better
Source - PC speakers' headphone and mic jack, USB port is also available.
Isolation Requirements - None/doesn't matter
Preferred Type of Headphone - Most likely Circumaural, but I'm not against other types
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - I don't remember the model, as it was a few years ago. I know it was some relatively generic, $30, Logitech Gaming Headset. It got the job done perfectly until the little cord volume adjuster broke.
Preferred Music - None/whatever sounds the game I'm playing is outputting.

Basically, I'm just looking for something that can play sounds and has a microphone on it. Cheaper is better, and comfort is second most important, since I'd presumably be wearing these for hours at a time.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I guess this isn't directly headphone related but here it goes.

I currently have a turtle beach PX21 headset that is starting to break because turtle beach seems to love making stuff that uses the thinnest possible plastic connectors. The main reason I bought this headset in the first place was because it can take 2 audio sources (one via 3.5mm and one via USB) and play them both through the headphones simultaneously with the ability to adjust each volume input individually. It works really nicely for gaming while using skype/voice chat since I can quickly change the volume of one or the other if they need tweaking.

I want to know if there is a stand-alone unit that can take 2 audio signals from my PC and combine them into a single headphone output so I am not restricted to using the flimsy turtle beach stuff that feels like it's going to snap in half every time I pick it up. Monoprice sells an 8 line mixer that might do this? 8 lines seems like overkill though, if it would even work for this type of application. When I search for audio mixers they all seem geared toward multiple microphone inputs rather than line(?) inputs from a PC. I also found this Behringer 302USB thing on amazon but again, I don't know if that's really what I need or not. The instructions on their website are super bare-bones and all the reviews just talk about using it for recording.

Is there a name for this kind of product other than just an audio mixer? It's tough to find solutions when I don't even know what I should be searching for.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Is that link for the headphone buying guide still good? Those Padacs in the budget tier are down to 10 bux so I was wondering if they got worse or something.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Oppenheimer posted:

Is that link for the headphone buying guide still good? Those Padacs in the budget tier are down to 10 bux so I was wondering if they got worse or something.

Just continued as far as I know.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I guess this isn't directly headphone related but here it goes.

I currently have a turtle beach PX21 headset that is starting to break because turtle beach seems to love making stuff that uses the thinnest possible plastic connectors. The main reason I bought this headset in the first place was because it can take 2 audio sources (one via 3.5mm and one via USB) and play them both through the headphones simultaneously with the ability to adjust each volume input individually. It works really nicely for gaming while using skype/voice chat since I can quickly change the volume of one or the other if they need tweaking.

I want to know if there is a stand-alone unit that can take 2 audio signals from my PC and combine them into a single headphone output so I am not restricted to using the flimsy turtle beach stuff that feels like it's going to snap in half every time I pick it up. Monoprice sells an 8 line mixer that might do this? 8 lines seems like overkill though, if it would even work for this type of application. When I search for audio mixers they all seem geared toward multiple microphone inputs rather than line(?) inputs from a PC. I also found this Behringer 302USB thing on amazon but again, I don't know if that's really what I need or not. The instructions on their website are super bare-bones and all the reviews just talk about using it for recording.

Is there a name for this kind of product other than just an audio mixer? It's tough to find solutions when I don't even know what I should be searching for.

I have the Behringer Q802USB, and I know that one will let you do what you want (mix a USB and analog stereo source to the headphone output). It looks like the 302 will let you do that as well, but you won't have independent volume controls (You'd have 1 control for USB -or- Line in, and 1 control for the master headphone output, but no control for the 2-track input). It will work, but if you wanted to, say, increase the volume of your analog input, you'd have to increase the volume of your headphone mix and decrease the volume of your USB input at the same time.

The 502 will give you that functionality for 10 bucks more, but doesn't have RCA inputs, so you'll need to use RCA to 1/4 inch TS adapters.

The problem is that these weren't really designed for what you're trying to do, so you need to buy a larger one to give you the flexibility you're looking for. Also, my 802 has rather noisy components. Noise is easily audible if I don't keep the gain really low. Makes sense when you consider that competitive products from other manufacturers cost 2-3x as much.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 29, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

KillHour posted:

I have the Behringer Q802USB, and I know that one will let you do what you want (mix a USB and analog stereo source to the headphone output). It looks like the 302 will let you do that as well, but you won't have independent volume controls (You'd have 1 control for USB -or- Line in, and 1 control for the master headphone output, but no control for the 2-track input). It will work, but if you wanted to, say, increase the volume of your analog input, you'd have to increase the volume of your headphone mix and decrease the volume of your USB input at the same time.

The 502 will give you that functionality for 10 bucks more, but doesn't have RCA inputs, so you'll need to use RCA to 1/4 inch TS adapters.

The problem is that these weren't really designed for what you're trying to do, so you need to buy a larger one to give you the flexibility you're looking for. Also, my 802 has rather noisy components. Noise is easily audible if I don't keep the gain really low. Makes sense when you consider that competitive products from other manufacturers cost 2-3x as much.

I found a couple of things that might do the job:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PowerMix3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00102VV46/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2LXBKOLL3J3K6

I'd need to buy a USB sound card to go with it I guess.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I think I've hit endgame :ohdear:

Now I just need front panels made and better headphones :negative:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Endgame? Have you gone through the electrostatic zealot phase?

There's always more.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Endgame? Have you gone through the electrostatic zealot phase?

There's always more.

If I go electrostatic, it will be with a DIY Blue Hawaii and Stax-009's, so not for another five or six or seven years or so when I hate money. But as far as solid state headamps go, I'm absolutely content with this. :buddy:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Where's the Sennheiser HD 800? :colbert:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

In line behind ATH-AD2000's :colbert:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Ad2k are my end-game too. I want to buy another pair.*

*I haven't heard all end-game headphones, but no other headphone has ever drawn me in the way the Ad series has. I feel that those who love the Ad700/Ad900 shouldn't really look much further, from my experience and others.

Edit: Update on the Monster DNA Pro. I've finally got an acceptable seal and these sound pretty drat nice. The fit is still awful though and I'm definitely not getting the full sound experience. To get a decent fit I have to push the headband towards the front of my head. Alternatively I can wear these opposite and get a better seal. Top of my head is starting to ache after an hour though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 30, 2013

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I dropped my Meelectronics A151s somewhere and was thinking of upgrading to the A161Ps this time around. Is the difference in sound quality worth giving up braided cables for? They seem to be available for the same price in Canada.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
I need new headphones to practice bass guitar on the go with a Korg Pandora mini which is basically a mini pre-amp in which I plug my bass. Maybe you guys can help.

Budget - 50-100$
Source - bass pre-amp for bass guitar practice with a click and drum machine, sometimes a semi-smart phone for music on the go.
Isolation Requirements - wouldnt mind isolation for music in public transport but its not required really.
Preferred Type of Headphone - most comfortable are probably supa-aural, I'm not against IEMs though
Preferred Tonal Balance - obviously I need the best low-end definition my money can buy. I guess that doesnt mean I need "extra" bass but my expertise really stops here...
Past Headphones - Jays 3 IEMs, on which the plug broke after 6 months or so. I liked them enough but I'm really wary of cables now and basically want a detachable cable or nothing.
Preferred Music - sludge & doom metal, jazz, but mostly my own bass guitar.
Specific needs: the cord needs to unplug from the set and any headset needs to be foldable as well to fit in my bass flightcase. I tend to play for 2-3 hours a day so comfort is essential as well.

I was looking into Shure SE215 IEMs or AKG K452. I'm in Europe so unfortunately no need for deals in the US. Thanks for any suggestions!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I grabbed that Sony SBH20, but the range is just awful. It's sitting on the desk less than two feet from my stationary iPhone, but I'm still getting audio dropouts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My BA200's came in. First impressions are good. However, "Like New" should mean that the flanges don't have visible ear wax on them. :gonk:

As an aside, if anyone out there is using the Fiio E17 with the E09K, remember to use the "hold" switch when docked. The screen is OLED, which will break down under use (especially blue pixels, for some reason). Anyways, long story short, after using the thing docked for a year, I have "USB 20" permanently burned into my screen (It's kind of a weird backwards-burn. You can't see it when the screen is off, and the pixels are dimmer than the surrounding ones). It's still usable just fine, but it's kind of annoying.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 2, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

I grabbed that Sony SBH20, but the range is just awful. It's sitting on the desk less than two feet from my stationary iPhone, but I'm still getting audio dropouts.
Weird, I used it in my kitchen a while back and got decent range out of it. Hooked it up now to my computer speakers and tossed my iPhone to my bed, it's sitting about 10 feet away now and still playing fine. Don't have any wacky metal case or anything for your iPhone, or maybe some other wireless interference or something?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

I dropped my Meelectronics A151s somewhere and was thinking of upgrading to the A161Ps this time around. Is the difference in sound quality worth giving up braided cables for? They seem to be available for the same price in Canada.

I decided to move up a bit in price range and pulled the trigger on some Brainwavz B2s, then decided they were hideous even by goonlord standards and cancelled the order. Now I'm having trouble deciding between Rock It R-50Ms and Etymotic HF2s. The former seems to get better reviews for sound quality, but the build quality and isolation seem better on the HF2s, plus they have volume controls and the option of getting custom tips. Any thoughts?

Budget - <$200
Source - iPhone, iPad, MBP.
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Accurate/analytical
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX-300, Meelectronics A151
Preferred Music - Rock, pop, electronic, classical

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Lazyhound posted:

I decided to move up a bit in price range and pulled the trigger on some Brainwavz B2s, then decided they were hideous even by goonlord standards and cancelled the order. Now I'm having trouble deciding between Rock It R-50Ms and Etymotic HF2s. The former seems to get better reviews for sound quality, but the build quality and isolation seem better on the HF2s, plus they have volume controls and the option of getting custom tips. Any thoughts?

Budget - <$200

Aren't the R-50, B2 and Fisher DBA-02 pretty much the same IEM, with the same Knowles balanced armatures?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I got the Skullcandy Navigators; while I liked the sound on them I didn't find them comfortable at all. They're being returned today.

In the meantime I did some searching on the web and found tons of very positive reviews for the Noontec Zoro HDs. They're shameless Beats copies but all the reviews praised their sound for their price. Sure enough, I'm finding them really really nice. The sound is very clear and balanced and they're nice and compact and comfortable. The build quality isn't anything to write home about so we'll see how they hold up over the coming months but so far I'm pleased with them.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, though, so someone more discerning may find a lot of faults with these.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

Budget - <$200

I'm willing to bet most of the people in here will recommend the Etymotics. Haven't tried them myself, but based on everything I've read about them in this thread, goons sing praises for them.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

Aren't the R-50, B2 and Fisher DBA-02 pretty much the same IEM, with the same Knowles balanced armatures?

The B2 and DBA-02 are 100% identical, the R-50 has a different sound.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a low budget gaming headset, please.

Budget - Cheaper is better
Source - PC speakers' headphone and mic jack, USB port is also available.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Most likely Circumaural, but I'm not against other types
Past Headphones - I don't remember the model, as it was a few years ago. I know it was some relatively generic, $30, Logitech Gaming Headset. It got the job done perfectly until the little cord volume adjuster broke.
Preferred Music - None/whatever sounds the game I'm playing is outputting.

Basically, I'm just looking for something that can play sounds and has a microphone on it. Cheaper is better, and comfort is second most important, since I'd presumably be wearing these for hours at a time.

Quoting this because I'd like to get opinions on it. I haven't seen anything in this thread about gaming headsets, and I'm pretty clueless on what to look for as far as those go. Should I just to and buy whatever cheap thing is on sale somewhere? I just don't want to spend ~$30-40 on something that's going to break in 6 months is all.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Why not get a separate microphone? I had a labtec USB mic I got for $4 that worked decently well and just used whatever headphones I could find. ATH-AD300's are like $40 last time I checked and use the AT "3d wing" system which is way comfier than anything else in that range. If you need sound, I'd honestly go with those on comfort factor alone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lazyhound posted:

Budget - <$200

6 of one, half a dozen of the other, really. They're both good headphones. I wouldn't use the custom tip option as a tipping point feature, though, as you can get custom tips done for just about any set of IEMs that you want.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
I'm hoping to get some help from the wealth of knowledge in this thread. My father in law has substantial hearing loss and wants to get some wireless headphones for when he is around the house. He wants to be able to listen to the radio/music via his laptop that doesn't have bluetooth and watch TV with his wife without having the TV blaring for his wife. When listening to his laptop, what kind of range can he expect to get away with? 20 feet? More or less? Due to vanity and the huge expense, hearing aids are not an option at this time. Is there such a system that would allow him to have a set of cans that come with multiple "receivers" that would connect with his various electronics? Thanks!

Budget - A couple hundred? Mostly in the research phase right now...
Source - Laptop's mic jack or USB port if needed, TV's composite audio out
Preferred Type of Headphone - Supa-Aural or circumaural if possible
Past Headphones - None
Preferred Music - Rock, jazz, classical, talk radio, TV/movie

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Xovaan posted:

Why not get a separate microphone? I had a labtec USB mic I got for $4 that worked decently well and just used whatever headphones I could find. ATH-AD300's are like $40 last time I checked and use the AT "3d wing" system which is way comfier than anything else in that range. If you need sound, I'd honestly go with those on comfort factor alone.

The thing that I really liked about my last headset was that it was able to distort the sound coming out of it to make it seem like surround sound. I understand this was likely due to the fact that it was a logitech headset, but I was hoping to find a new set that would get that effect as well. Beyond that, it'd also be nice to not disturb everyone else in the apartment with whatever it is that I'm playing at the time. I could get a stand alone microphone, I suppose, but I also tend to sit kind of far away from the desk, and I think I'd feel like I have to shout at the mic to get it to pick up my voice decently.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

The thing that I really liked about my last headset was that it was able to distort the sound coming out of it to make it seem like surround sound. I understand this was likely due to the fact that it was a logitech headset, but I was hoping to find a new set that would get that effect as well. Beyond that, it'd also be nice to not disturb everyone else in the apartment with whatever it is that I'm playing at the time. I could get a stand alone microphone, I suppose, but I also tend to sit kind of far away from the desk, and I think I'd feel like I have to shout at the mic to get it to pick up my voice decently.

Ah, so emulated Dolby. I believe most sound cards have this built in now, actually. You can get an Asus DX or DG with Dolby 5.1 and will do this and cost you only ~$20. It also has a built in headphone amplifier and is all around a pretty good card, so you're not tied to a headset and can mix and match as needed. :) Logitech, Turtle Beach, Razer, and Steelseries headsets are basically your options for headphones in this category, but it's hard to recommend them if you're looking for something with longevity as you've mentioned, hence the rec for ATHs. Also, most are really uncomfortable.

This guy seems to have a pretty complete list of headphones in your range, too: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-12-27-2013-mrspeakers-alpha-dog-added and the Steelseries seem to be your best bet, although he doesn't find them to be hot in the sound category and they seem open-backed. If you poke around there I'm sure somebody will be able to recommend something.

Oh, and: http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/closed-headphones.php?price=50

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 31, 2022

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

japtor posted:

Weird, I used it in my kitchen a while back and got decent range out of it. Hooked it up now to my computer speakers and tossed my iPhone to my bed, it's sitting about 10 feet away now and still playing fine. Don't have any wacky metal case or anything for your iPhone, or maybe some other wireless interference or something?

I exchanged the SBH20 for a new one.

iPhone in my pocket, sbh20 clipped to my tshirt using the provided buds (in case the short wire doubles as an antenna)

In the empty gym with no wifi I had 4 audio dropouts in 10 minutes on the treadmill.

Considering I can get an easy 30 feet of range out of this phone and a no-name headset, I can't recommend the Sony thing.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Xovaan posted:

Ah, so emulated Dolby. I believe most sound cards have this built in now, actually. You can get an Asus DX or DG with Dolby 5.1 and will do this and cost you only ~$20. It also has a built in headphone amplifier and is all around a pretty good card, so you're not tied to a headset and can mix and match as needed. :) Logitech, Turtle Beach, Razer, and Steelseries headsets are basically your options for headphones in this category, but it's hard to recommend them if you're looking for something with longevity as you've mentioned, hence the rec for ATHs. Also, most are really uncomfortable.

This guy seems to have a pretty complete list of headphones in your range, too: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-12-27-2013-mrspeakers-alpha-dog-added and the Steelseries seem to be your best bet, although he doesn't find them to be hot in the sound category and they seem open-backed. If you poke around there I'm sure somebody will be able to recommend something.

Oh, and: http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/closed-headphones.php?price=50

Ah, thanks, this is good info. I didn't know that emulated dolby was a thing, much less that it was a feature of my computer, and not the headphones. I recently upgraded my motherboard to an MS-7817(specifically B85M-P33) Does anyone know if that board has the same functionality? My googling doesn't seem to be turning up anything of worth on the subject.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Do I need a headphone amplifier if I have a decent receiver and decent headphones? I'm listening to vinyl pushed through it. It sounds pretty loud to me but I don't know if the amplifier makes it sound "better" or whatever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

beergod posted:

Do I need a headphone amplifier if I have a decent receiver and decent headphones? I'm listening to vinyl pushed through it. It sounds pretty loud to me but I don't know if the amplifier makes it sound "better" or whatever.

Umm...it totally depends on the impedance of the headphones and the relative power output of the receiver.

Some headphones can work with low-power sources but sound noticeably better with dedicated amplification. Some headphones won't function properly at all without lots of power. Most receivers don't output a lot of power through their headphone outs and you'll need/want an amp in order to use those aforementioned phones. Some (mostly vintage) receivers output plenty of power, in which case you wouldn't.

What headphones/receiver are we talking about here?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 3, 2014

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This receiver http://m.costco.com/Sony-STR-DN1030-7.2-Channel-Wi-Fi-Network-AV-Receiver.product.100073980.html

And Bose QC15

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Does anyone have any experience with the audio technica A700s and the A900s? I have A700s that are breaking on the sides and either want another pair or want to upgrade. I love my A700s and have a pretty decent budget (around 500 is my max) for a new set of headphones, but I'm just kind torn on what to get. I would gladly take other recommendations as well.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Due to this thread, I'm interested in hearing what anyone has to say about Monster DNA headphones. The idea of getting a pair of brand-new, sealed $200 headphones for $100 is really itching my 'impulse buy' nerve. Any comments?

edit: Because, if not, I'm going to buy these (Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones) that were recommended to me in thread a few pages ago which subsequently started a "dont drive while listening to headphones" argument somehow :( , unless anyone else wants to chime in on some wireless headphones :) Thanks! :cheers:

edit 2: Oh, wait :( Those Sennheisers don't have Blutooth capability, do they? I need recommendations on nice heaphones that I can pair with tablets, preferably not a typical "also made for talking to someone" set. Just headphones.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 4, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I thought you said you had decent headphones :laugh: .

I'm kidding. But you probably won't see any appreciable benefit with a headphone amp. Your current setup should be fine. It might be worth reading through the OP and Midorka's other big posts in the early part of the thread if you want a better idea of the whole fancy headphones/amplification deal, especially since you're already into vinyl.

eightysixed posted:

Due to this thread, I'm interested in hearing what anyone has to say about Monster DNA headphones. The idea of getting a pair of brand-new, sealed $200 headphones for $100 is really itching my 'impulse buy' nerve. Any comments?

edit: Because, if not, I'm going to buy these (Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones) that were recommended to me in thread a few pages ago which subsequently started a "dont drive while listening to headphones" argument somehow :( , unless anyone else wants to chime in on some wireless headphones :) Thanks! :cheers:

edit 2: Oh, wait :( Those Sennheisers don't have Blutooth capability, do they? I need recommendations on nice heaphones that I can pair with tablets, preferably not a typical "also made for talking to someone" set. Just headphones.

Umm- this thread isn't that long yet. I feel like 75% of the questions that pop up nowadays could be answered by a quick read through the backlog.

Anyway, Midorka reviewed those Monsters a couple of pages back and absolutely loathed them. I know his opinion isn't the word of god or anything (see our disagreements on the ATH-M50) but, IIRC, the whole gist of his review was "these headphones exemplify every reason why there's a big 'Avoid Monster' in the OP. They are terrible."

As for the wireless phones- if you're planning to use them while driving, then you'd be waaay better off investing that money in a bluetooth-capable car stereo unit (~$100-$150 from Crutchfield).

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Umm- this thread isn't that long yet. :colbert: I was referencing my question that was asked only a couple pages back

eightysixed posted:

What's the general consensus/recommendation on Wireless/Bluetooth headphones? I've been using cheap Plantronics BackBeat 903 for about 2 years now, and have really enjoyed them. Being able to walk around the office without being tethered to something is great, as is being able to clean/cook/whatever around the house at home. I listen to talk radio/podcasts pretty much exclusively, so these have worked out fine. Unfortunately the casing on one side is starting to crack, so I know their time is almost up. What's the goto Bluetooth headphones?

Which received the one single response below (only one of which are really made for 'around the house' usage), before everything turned into car talk :shobon: Literally, it dominated my entire question, and that page. Go back to Page 22 :(

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I have a couple of options for you;

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-HBS-730-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009A5204K/ out and about, driving, office, etc. When you get a call, it vibrates on your collarbone and is generally awesome. I especially like using it in the car, since I drive a manual.

To step up the audio quality for at home, these would do, though I've never listened to them. Good price/reviews though. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/

also give these a look I guess, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VANOFY/ I just got one today (Amazon for 55usd on sale) and I haven't tested it out much, but am overall impressed by the initial experience.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D73JV6G/ bought this today too

:v:

No driving involved. If you really want to read the backlog or whatever of this thread, go have a laugh reading that convo. But, again, those Sennheiser's aren't BT capable are they? :( And fair enough about those Monsters. I won't take the chance. There's probably a reason why he has a huge stock left over, after reading that. Thanks for the heads up :)

And for the haters, I already have a bluetooth-capable car stereo unit :v:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 3, 2014

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
I've got a 30% discount at SteelSeries, anyone heard anything about http://steelseries.com/us/products/audio/steelseries-h-wireless ?

Hard to find reviews online from anyone who seems to know anything about headphones. Not surprising given that they're a wireless gaming-focused headset but I was hoping for something.

Budget - $250ish
Source - PC Sound Card, Xonar... something.
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circum-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bassy's ok
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD555s, which I've really enjoyed & Turtle Beach x41 which are basically garbage but have a mic so what can you do.
Preferred Music - Power Metal & video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

eightysixed posted:

Oh hey I can help on that!

I just bought a pair of these, for $100 they would be a good buy.

I listen to techno and they sound great for what they are. I'm sure there are better ones out there but I happy with them.

They are pretty balanced, bass response is strong but doesn't drown out any other frequencies or anything like that.

Sound isolation is pretty good, though I have small ears so they basically seal around my whole ear.

Comes with two cables, one with an inline mic and one pure cable, you can plug in the cable to either end, and if the need be, plug a second pair of headphones in to share your input with someone else. (Up to 5 in the chain I believe). Also has a really nice pouch that is quite thick for protection in bags and stuff.

The only thing I would say is that if you have a big head they could get uncomfortable on extended use due to the small amount of padding on the top.