Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What do you guys think about "The Crusades Through Arab Eyes" by Amin Maalouf? Is it worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

The "Dat wählige Rott" society. Every year in costume for the yearly Scheibenschießen. Which I somehow don't think properly translates to "target practice" in this context, regardless of what my translation-website thinks. It's more of a festival, really.
It's a festival even though it literally means target practice because that's what the civic exercise of arms was back then, a semi-regular party which involved shooting competitions, etc.

Edit: There's kind of a reason civil militias are often dismissed in the secondary sources. No offense meant to "Dat wählige Rott."

Edit 2: If you want a book which does not dismiss them, this is pretty great. It's got gender studies in it. :getin:

Edit 3: Since I can't look like any more of a dork, I may as well show you guys my newest tattoo.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 28, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Funny coincidence, I was listening to Van Canto when I clicked that link, and the verse "Building a fortress around my heart" played just as I realized what I was looking at.

edit: It took me a while to reply because I was laughing my rear end off. (At the coincidence, not the tattoo. The tattoo rocks.)

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 28, 2013

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Knowledgeable words

Thank you for this answer, it's more or less what I meant. Obviously it depends on the time and the place, but I'm interested to see how many/few managed to live it up and avoid combat altogether. I'm also interested in any medieval writings on their horses, horselore, any popular horse characters or anything like that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a travelling HEGEL posted:

It's a festival even though it literally means target practice because that's what the civic exercise of arms was back then, a semi-regular party which involved shooting competitions, etc.

Americans should be quite familiar with this concept - colonial militias basically participated on their mandatory firing exercises only if the organisers promised enough free beer / punch / poison of choice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Edit: There's kind of a reason civil militias are often dismissed in the secondary sources. No offense meant to "Dat wählige Rott."

Edit 2: If you want a book which does not dismiss them, this is pretty great. It's got gender studies in it. :getin:

Edit 3: Since I can't look like any more of a dork, I may as well show you guys my newest tattoo.

Thanks, that book goes on my reading list. No offense taken, by the way. Historically it's not even sure "Dat wählige Rott" ever did its famous attack, there were a lot of attacks on Tilly's army camp but if Tilly's tent really was raided at some point, it was more of a coincedence then a daring attack.

That said, Nienburg itself was of strategical importance at the time: Most of the surrounding land was dense forest or impassable swamp, and the river Weser could be forded at Nienburg or up at Bremen in the north. Also Nienburg kind of controlled the trade coming down the river from Bremen, so having an enemy sitting in Nienburg would have been bad for everyone trying to fight in the region. So no wonder southern catholics, northern German protestants, Swedes and the Danish were all trying to hold on to the city. The actual ruler, the Duke of Celle, was completely useless at the time. There was some kind of war council going on trying to coordinate the defense of the region, but the Duke was simply too poor and his personal guard was too small to do more then protect his own castle. The Danish king send down his mercenary army to save us, but they did a lot of damage by themselves. Also the catholics beat them and were then beaten by the Swedes in turn, who sat on Nienburg until the end of the 30YW. It was a mess.

Only the east (north east of Germany) had it worse, with the Swedes depopulating entire areas and the armies of what would later become Prussia fighting a dirty guerilla war against everyone. (Because everyone ignored the neutrality of the Mark Brandenburg.)

Most of the (military) history of Nienburg was collected by a local historian in a German-only book, it's here if you want to try it: And hopefully less expensive then Amazon, even with shipping costs. Because holy gently caress is there a price difference between buying from the publisher and buying from Amazon. (I've no idea why you can't buy the book new on Amazon but new from the publisher.)

Edit:

Almost forgot the dialect-thing. It's mostly West Low German, It think. (I've already forgotten most of what I learned in my last linguistic seminar.) Translated into high German you should get "Das erwählte Rott" or if you want to be really modern "Die erwählte Rotte/Schar". Both of which translate to "The chosen squad/The chosen band".

"Nienburg" is just "Nyen Burg" or "Neue Burg", which is New Castle in English. To the north of Nienburg you can find Drakenburg, which is most likely West Low German for "Drachenburg" or Dragon Castle in English.

I'm by no means an linguist, so take this with a grain of salt, though!

Edit2:

Oh man, the festival thing. I'm aware of how important Scheibenschießen was in the past, but I grew up with it in a time were it was just a rigged shooting competition with a festival attached, so there is this weird disconnect in my head, especially since "Scheibenschießen" is also an official sport. Target practice in my head is what I had to do in the army, not the fun-kind of shooting with historical weapons nor a harmless sport. It's cognitive dissonance at its finest.

(It was rigged because everyone knew ahead of time who would be winning the competition. It was mystifying if you weren't "in" on local politics/gossip.)

Libluini fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 29, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

Almost forgot the dialect-thing. It's mostly West Low German, It think.
Cool. The people I've been living with all speak Saechsisch, which nobody likes.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1OTreju7k

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 29, 2013

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

my dad posted:

What do you guys think about "The Crusades Through Arab Eyes" by Amin Maalouf? Is it worth reading?

I read it several years ago, and I enjoyed it. If I remember correctly, it's made up mostly of Arab primary sources, so it's a pretty interesting counterpoint.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cool. The people I've been living with all speak Saechsisch, which nobody likes.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1OTreju7k

Ugh. For some reason I can't stand people speaking Saxon. It just rubs me the wrong way. At least I can tolerate a woman speaking it, a man speaking Sächsisch sounds unbelievable whiny to me. The irony here is without Charlemagne I would probably speak the same dialect. Luckily he deported enough Saxons from here to the south to make place for normal people.

But that's just northern arrogance for you, for most of my live I even believed (like most people here) northern German is the dialect-free standard of the German language and is called "Hochdeutsch". Studying at university then taught me how Hochdeutsch "high German" actually refers to the montainous regions down in the middle and the south of Germany (and includes Austria and Switzerland). Also it's the absolute opposite of dialect-free.

Low German (which refers to the flatlands up north) can be sound somewhat dialect-free, as someone can experience in Hanover listening to Hanoverans. But it can also mean strange stuff like West Low German which is related to Dutch, or even related to English. Here is a map. West Low German dialects are listed under A left and related to B left, on the right are the high German dialects. And the stuff in the middle, which kind of is just there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

Ugh. For some reason I can't stand people speaking Saxon. It just rubs me the wrong way.
They know, and it makes them sad.

Speaking of accents, read this. Since spelling was phonetic, that's what Wallenstein sounded like in real life. :pwn:

Edit:

quote:

Studying at university then taught me how Hochdeutsch "high German" actually refers to the montainous regions down in the middle and the south of Germany (and includes Austria and Switzerland). Also it's the absolute opposite of dialect-free.
I thought High German was Standard German, which would therefore not end up referring to Austria or, oh god, what the Swiss speak. And standard German sounds the most like Hanoverian, which is why you end up thinking people from Hanover have no dialect.

Yeah, Oberdeutsch != High German, that's more like...high altitude German

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 29, 2013

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Speaking of accents, read this. Since spelling was phonetic, that's what Wallenstein sounded like in real life. :pwn:

Well, at least I can understand them. I have an uncle hailing from the great city of Cologne and for the live of me I can only understand about half of what he says.

And as a child I was on a week-long school excursion down in Bavaria. I understood nothing and no-one! I think I'm still a little traumatized by that experience.

Edit:

Oh, those letters remind me of Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen's famous book. Someday I have to re-read it!

Second Edit: Hey, he mentions Tilly! Ha, good old Tilly. The letter is from about five years after we kicked his rear end, too. And one year after one of his subordinates kicked ours, but without that timely black death thing happening it would have gone the other way, so it doesn't count. :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

Oh, those letters remind me of Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen's famous book. Someday I have to re-read it!
You know, I am not a fan? The incidents are nicely drawn, but why are there so many early modern novels out there where the young man of unknown parentage turns out to be related to his kindly benefactor? YEAH I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING AT ALL.

quote:

Second Edit: Hey, he mentions Tilly! Ha, good old Tilly. The letter is from about five years after we kicked his rear end, too. And one year after one of his subordinates kicked ours, but without that timely black death thing happening it would have gone the other way, so it doesn't count. :v:
Tilly owned.

Libluini posted:

And as a child I was on a week-long school excursion down in Bavaria. I understood nothing and no-one! I think I'm still a little traumatized by that experience.
You can hire a translator, you know that? :haw:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy poo poo what :aaa:

What I've read of Grey from A World Undone and Guns of August makes him seem like one of the few rational actors in that shitshow, and leagues less warmongering than, I dunno, loving Churchill or Jackie Fisher.

It's not really fair to call Jackie Fisher a warmonger. If anything he understood deterrence theory before the term was coined. Not that I'd want him or anyone from that era in charge of nuclear weapons :ohdear:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Edit:

I thought High German was Standard German, which would therefore not end up referring to Austria or, oh god, what the Swiss speak. And standard German sounds the most like Hanoverian, which is why you end up thinking people from Hanover have no dialect.

Yeah, Oberdeutsch != High German, that's more like...high altitude German

I tell you a secret: There is no standardized German and Oberdeutsch is High German. There is something called "Standarddeutsch", which is German for overregional communication. Calling it "Hochdeutsch" is just a misconception common in Germany and completely ignored by our linguists. Which they can and which we can do, since there is no standardized German.The German wikipedia page talks about this confusion a bit, while the English page ignores it. So too bad for the people who would most likely need this information. :v:

In short, Standard German is our written language and what people call "Hochdeutsch" is actually phonetically spoken Standard German, while linguistically correct "Hochdeutsch" refers to the dialects down south. (One time I've heard some poor soul talking about "Niederhochdeutsch" at some point, which doesn't even exist. I think he was just confused by the terminology.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

I tell you a secret: There is no standardized German and Oberdeutsch is High German. There is something called "Standarddeutsch", which is German for overregional communication. Calling it "Hochdeutsch" is just a misconception common in Germany and completely ignored by our linguists. Which they can and which we can do, since there is no standardized German.The German wikipedia page talks about this confusion a bit, while the English page ignores it. So too bad for the people who would most likely need this information. :v:

In short, Standard German is our written language and what people call "Hochdeutsch" is actually phonetically spoken Standard German, while linguistically correct "Hochdeutsch" refers to the dialects down south. (One time I've heard some poor soul talking about "Niederhochdeutsch" at some point, which doesn't even exist. I think he was just confused by the terminology.)
:aaaaa:
So this thing that I've been speaking to people in...it's fake?

Edit: What dialect should I learn to speak, then?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 29, 2013

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

You know, I am not a fan? The incidents are nicely drawn, but why are there so many early modern novels out there where the young man of unknown parentage turns out to be related to his kindly benefactor? YEAH I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING AT ALL.

You know, the English description seems sanitized somehow. I don't remember it like that at all. Somehow it describes a somewhat similar book without the charm and humor of the original. Whoever wrote that wikipedia-entry really doesn't seem to get the joke hidden in the name, too. Which is just sad.

And if I read that entry about Picaresque novels correctly, then the author of the English entry about "Der abenteuerliche Simplicissimus" is also hilariously wrong in, like everything else. Better try to read the detailed German entry, it comes closer to what is actually in the book.

:aaaaa:
So this thing that I've been speaking to people in...it's fake?

Edit: What dialect should I learn to speak, then?

Just learn phonetically correct Standard German, which is dialect-neutral. Then ask everyone if they're a linguist first. If they are, you're speaking Standard German. If they're not, you just claim you speak Hochdeutsch. If you speak to a Bavarian or other weirdos, all bets are off. I can't help you there, sorry.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 29, 2013

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
God, you're making my German classes seem harder than they are.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well that's what you get when a bunch of separate nations with their own rules and cultural differences joining together after the dictionaries have already been written. The old Holy Roman Empire had many uniting factors, but language standardization isn't one of them.

France and Spain still have their regional dialects/languages, and they've been united way longer than Germany.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well that's what you get when a bunch of separate nations with their own rules and cultural differences joining together after the dictionaries have already been written. The old Holy Roman Empire had many uniting factors, but language standardization isn't one of them.

France and Spain still have their regional dialects/languages, and they've been united way longer than Germany.

As a German, whenever I hear that the EU can't possibly ever work because of linguistic and cultural differences, I just sort of giggle.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mycroft Holmes posted:

God, you're making my German classes seem harder than they are.
That's fine, you (like me) are speaking the fake thing, which works I guess, I'm just bummed a little. :saddowns:

It's also what all of them use to speak to people they don't know. A few weeks ago in a hostel some women came in speaking...something. It sounded almost Slavic, but it was German I think? Then one of them turned to me and, in accentless Standard German, said "Do you mind if I open a window?" I said fine, and they went back to...whatever it was they were doing.

ArchangeI posted:

As a German, whenever I hear that the EU can't possibly ever work because of linguistic and cultural differences, I just sort of giggle.
Nu genau. Nuuuu.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
About ten years back I travelled across Germany and my German is fairly atrocious. Turns out that throwing a bunch of deutschmarks at a taxi driver and saying "Superfast Ferry Terminal, schnell schnell, zwanzig minuten, schnell schell" works pretty well.

re: Gustavus Adolphus, everyone should know that Torstensson was a better commander than he ever was.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

It's also what all of them use to speak to people they don't know. A few weeks ago in a hostel some women came in speaking...something. It sounded almost Slavic, but it was German I think? Then one of them turned to me and, in accentless Standard German, said "Do you mind if I open a window?" I said fine, and they went back to...whatever it was they were doing.

It might have been Sorbian which is a Slavic language, or the women might have been from around Lower Lusatsia - the dialect there was heavily influenced by Sorbs.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Donaubayrisch, the only group of german dialects that you'll ever want to learn.

Btw, these letters are interesting. Although this baroque upper class language is a pain.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Man, that Saxon German was very hard for me to understand. I've never really had any problems understanding people whenever I've been in Germany but that has mainly been Hamburg and the Ruhr District. Then again, I don't really use my German for anything other than attempting to understand Dutch, since its basically just a mash of German, English and Danish so I can kinda sorta read it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

InspectorBloor posted:

Although this baroque upper class language is a pain.
I love the Latin everywhere: [TELL] me about your expensive university education. Although, incaminiren for "to hit the road" is actually good and useful.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well that's what you get when a bunch of separate nations with their own rules and cultural differences joining together after the dictionaries have already been written.

Oh be quiet it works perfectly

:pwn:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I understand why there's still greek there, but why are there all these albanian enclaves to the south? Is that due to recent migration?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, Albania is/was one of the worst dictatorships in Europe. You'd get people sailing across the Adriatic to escape and landing in Italy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

English is a bit like this, but only when touring foreign countries, since regional dialects cover large areas. If I ever meet another Albertan while abroad the speech becomes a lot faster and slangier, and I'm sure the effect is more pronounced for less Americanized dialects of English.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

InspectorBloor posted:

I understand why there's still greek there, but why are there all these albanian enclaves to the south? Is that due to recent migration?

Refugees from the time when Ottomans conquered the Balkans. So yeah, quite recent, given the history of Italy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arb%C3%ABresh%C3%AB

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

That's fine, you (like me) are speaking the fake thing, which works I guess, I'm just bummed a little. :saddowns:

Nu genau. Nuuuu.

A fellow goon from northern Germany always makes fun of me for being a slav, or at least sounding like one. The dialect of Vienna is ripe with czech words and pronuciation. Hardly an accident if you consider that over 50% of the city's population were of czech ancestry by the beginning of the 20th century. Here, it's almost impossible to find somebody who doesn't have a czech or polish grandmother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K89YalcS9M

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 29, 2013

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
What's up with the Catalan enclave on Sardinia?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Sardinia used to be owned by the Aragonese, who probably settled soldiers or something there. They had a bunch of fortifications on the island.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Crown of Aragon in 15th century:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
That's Algherese from the city of Alghero (cool note, compare the flag of the city with the flag of Catalunya). It's from when the kingdom of Aragon looked like this and Catalan colonists settled there.

E: Haha, gently caress. Same image too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Apparently Yale University Press now holds the rights to the RGASPI Stalin archives outside of Russia and Belarus. Except that their site is not searchable in Russian and inaccessible for those that are not members of an academic institution that pays them, whereas the Russian site used to be free for everyone.

drat you, Yale!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

Apparently Yale University Press now holds the rights to the RGASPI Stalin archives outside of Russia and Belarus. Except that their site is not searchable in Russian and inaccessible for those that are not members of an academic institution that pays them, whereas the Russian site used to be free for everyone.

drat you, Yale!
That's the same university that drove a dude to suicide over copyright.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

That's the same university that drove a dude to suicide over copyright.

Who, when, why? The only similar story I know involves the person who got bullied by JSTOR / MIT, and Google doesn't return anything.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

steinrokkan posted:

Who, when, why? The only similar story I know involves the person who got bullied by JSTOR / MIT, and Google doesn't return anything.
:facepalm: It was MIT, not Yale. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They didn't drive poo poo. This is the McDonalds boiling coffee lawsuit all over again.

• Locked thread