Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

woot fatigue posted:

Investment: An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future.

Chair : A place to rest your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JMod
Dec 12, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

Investment: An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate income or appreciate in the future.

As I said, generally yes, but take the time to evaluate each individual item. Do I think a $120 Rag & Bone tee shirt is worth the price? No. Do I think a $700 wool blazer, made in the USA with wool sourced from the nearly-200-year-old Abraham Moon & Sons mill in the U.K. is worth the price? Definitely. Especially when compared to offerings from LBM and Boss.

Manhattan Portage bags are functional and well made for the price, but they're also mostly nylon with nylon webbed straps and plastic buckles and fasteners. They're also very utilitarian looking and I wouldn't be surprised to see one in the back seat of a Subaru Outback parked outside an REI. I'd feel comfortable with one camping or riding my bike through the city, but not carrying one into a meeting with a client. Jack Spade puts a ton of thought into choosing unique and quality textiles and leathers for their bags. My briefcase uses oxford cloth that wouldn't look out of place if used for a suit, but it also has thick leather on the bottom and on parts that will see a lot of wear. Their harris tweed is full of character and gets better with wear. The straps are cotton instead of nylon and all of the zippers, buckles, clasps, d-rings and other hardware are brass and steel. They're also aesthetically pleasing with modern takes on classic designs, which can fit in with both casual and business environments. The prices are a bit steep, but since they update their lines for each fashion season, keep an eye out for sales and pick up the one you want for 50% off. Or buy used.

You can buy a Carhartt jacket for a lot less than a Belstaff, two Corvettes for the price of one 911, and a Timex will keep more accurate time than an Omega. It's not all about numbers.

Know people.

I stand corrected. I would feel out of place with a Manhattan Portage bag in a client meeting. I have much to learn. Did you ever look at Dunderdon? Their founder recently passed and I'm crushed because it was the perfect nexus of style x quality x price, and they've closed all their stores. They had some nice bags from another Sweden-based shop.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

JMod posted:

I stand corrected. I would feel out of place with a Manhattan Portage bag in a client meeting. I have much to learn. Did you ever look at Dunderdon? Their founder recently passed and I'm crushed because it was the perfect nexus of style x quality x price, and they've closed all their stores. They had some nice bags from another Sweden-based shop.

Oh wow, I haven't heard of Dunderdon but they look nice. That's unfortunate and extremely odd that they wouldn't have a continuance plan in place.

If you want something unique, check out Teamwork Bags - http://teamworkbags.com/ - They're a local company that started by making messenger bags out of used boat sails, and now they make all sorts of stuff using reclaimed materials. I once rode a unicycle while inebriated around their workshop.

Another is WANT Les Essentiels de la Vie - http://www.wantessentiels.com/ - , a Montreal based company that was on the brink of disappearing until J. Crew had them do a capsule line for them. Now the issue is that they've become more popular and require a much higher minimum order for retailers, which means my hookup won't be carrying the line next year. That said, Barney's, Mr. Porter, and a bunch of other online stores are having their year-end sales so you might be able to snag up a deal.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Why are people jumping on the one person who consistently posts interesting things most people might not have seen or heard of before?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Speaking of bags I got http://www.moopshop.com/products/the-backpack for Christmas.

soft chair curves
Sep 24, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

I managed to get my hands on one of 100 limited-edition all-black Eames Lounge sets from Herman Miller Asia. Should get here sometime in late January. Not sure yet if I'm going to keep it mint or use it and sell my current chair.

Please work your black arts to get me one of the older all black Eames side chairs

My Christmas gifts for myself:
Vosges caramel marshmallows, Rag and Bone henley, and a book of tattoo art.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Full Circle posted:

Why are people jumping on the one person who consistently posts interesting things most people might not have seen or heard of before?

People don't like it when other people have nicer things than they do.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
I'd just like to say thanks to Woot for keeping the thread interesting. I hope to fill my house with beautiful things one day and he's providing good inspiration. Thank you.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Woot is also a fantastic photographer and makes Instagram consistently fun, so let the man enjoy his stuff in peace. Assholes.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Jefinabox posted:

I'd just like to say thanks to Woot for keeping the thread interesting. I hope to fill my house with beautiful things one day and he's providing good inspiration. Thank you.

The hero worship is equally annoying, to be honest.

Content:
Just bought a Marmot Aegis rain jacket for about 45% off via Zappos. Great jacket for the price, considering the Arc'teryx (sp?) I was looking at cost about 3x as much.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Ormy posted:

People don't like it when other people have nicer things than they do.

I think it also has something to do with extravagantly priced items that a lot of people struggle to afford the cheap version of.

It's not the fact that Woot is showing off his beautiful new Eames chair, it's that he's showing off the 5th copy/version of it in as many months. For some people, its a bit crazy to spend that much money on a chair, let alone 5 of them.

I have nothing against Woot and his unique purchases. I've seen some cool poo poo in here. Cool poo poo that I'll never afford or justify spending money on but that's me. I know Woot explains everything as an investment or 'just holding this for a client until it sells', etc. and I can see how it comes off as boisterous but this thread exists to brag about our latest consumer habits, right?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Woot chat:

He buys really expensive poo poo because he can obviously afford it.

Does he come off as boastful, no.

Does he come off as arrogant, occasionally.

If I had the throw away money he does you're drat right i'd be swimming in luxury things too.

Plus I'd still be getting 30% off :haw:

Content:

GTX 780 Superclocked

Hello future!

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

Content:

GTX 780 Superclocked

Hello future!

Hot drat. Rig Specs?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

As someone that just did an hour and a half on their trainer, you must already hate yourself or you will soon. Enjoy :v:

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Those Amazon Basics lightning cables hold up better than the Apple ones. What's the details on that keyboard?

soft chair curves posted:

Please work your black arts to get me one of the older all black Eames side chairs

I can't translate, but I'm assuming it's just the Eames side chair in all black? If so I can get you one easily in either molded plastic ($428) or the newly reintroduced fiberglass ($528).

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

App13 posted:

Hot drat. Rig Specs?

2500k at 4ghz
16GB Ram
Couple SSD's

And now the monster card.

Problem is I don't really know what to test it on, I tried BF4 and its doing like 80-100fps on UltraSuperWowGraphics

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I checked out Barney's Warehouse online for the first time and bought three Vince shirts (button down, linen t shirt, cotton t shirt) for $65, shipped. The button down was originally $185.

I wouldn't want to upset the thread with nice clothes chat, so here's a list of recently purchased animes:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My local comic book store was having a 50% off everything in the entire place sale since boxing day (the 26th) - so I braved a little blizzard we we're having and got some things.

Minimates Terminator 2 figures (apparently these go for $30+ a box) - got em for $5 each.

Funko Beavis & Butthead - only $7 per figure

Funko Tyrion Lannister - $6

Game of Thrones "4D" map - 1400+ pieces with 65+ landmarks including all the castles of Westeros - $45

I ALMOST caved in and bought a Sideshow Legendary Scale bust of Predator for $200, normally $700 (he mentioned one of the mandibles needed to be glued back on otherwise it was perfect) but I passed. :(

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Well, now I feel inadequate about the Manhattan Portage bag I posted earlier.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

1redflag posted:

The hero worship is equally annoying, to be honest.

Content:
Just bought a Marmot Aegis rain jacket for about 45% off via Zappos. Great jacket for the price, considering the Arc'teryx (sp?) I was looking at cost about 3x as much.

Link please! I need this. I was going to get one (I think I even posted about it in here) but couldn't find it before. If there's a deal, even better!

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Polidoro posted:

Well, now I feel inadequate about the Manhattan Portage bag I posted earlier.

Why? It's a great bag and if it fits your needs, awesome. There's a lot of cool poo poo you can buy with the $200 you saved by not getting a Jack Spade bag.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

strangemusic posted:

Link please! I need this. I was going to get one (I think I even posted about it in here) but couldn't find it before. If there's a deal, even better!

It looks like I must have gotten the last one on sale (must be why Leaf Green was the only color available), but it looks like there is still a deal to be had at:

http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/d...CFSRk7AodIEAAYQ

Zappos link is here:

http://m.zappos.com/marmot-aegis-jacket-black~2

Sorry about the long links: I'm on my phone and don't remember the HTML codes for links.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

woot fatigue posted:

Why? It's a great bag and if it fits your needs, awesome. There's a lot of cool poo poo you can buy with the $200 you saved by not getting a Jack Spade bag.

I was just kidding because the brand was mentioned a couple of times after I posted it, I'm liking it a lot so far.

JMod
Dec 12, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

Woot what do you use for luggage?
I'm in the market and I think Tumi is a bit poo poo. I know you know some obscure artisan brand of luggage that is handcrafted from only the best eagles by the old-world drunken salt of the earth in the Ozarks.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

JMod posted:

Woot what do you use for luggage?
I'm in the market and I think Tumi is a bit poo poo. I know you know some obscure artisan brand of luggage that is handcrafted from only the best eagles by the old-world drunken salt of the earth in the Ozarks.

A set of Samsonite rolling duffels from one of their outlets. Luggage spends more time in other people's hands than mine and gets beat to poo poo. Samsonite, while not being "cool" or very fashionable, is about as well made as you'll get for the price range. It's also generic and not flashy, which is a bonus - luggage spends a lot of time sitting around in busy, public spaces and if it looks expensive it's desirable to thieves.

If I have to check equipment or something fragile I have two Pelican 1650 cases that are a pain in the rear end to haul around and cost a ton in baggage fees:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

A set of Samsonite rolling duffels from one of their outlets. Luggage spends more time in other people's hands than mine and gets beat to poo poo. Samsonite, while not being "cool" or very fashionable, is about as well made as you'll get for the price range. It's also generic and not flashy, which is a bonus - luggage spends a lot of time sitting around in busy, public spaces and if it looks expensive it's desirable to thieves.

If I have to check equipment or something fragile I have two Pelican 1650 cases that are a pain in the rear end to haul around and cost a ton in baggage fees:

Pelican's rule. I have a 1620 that I carry my studio lights and a battery pack in. Weighs in at 48.5 lbs which is perfect. I agree on the not going high end with luggage, since it's not in your hands all the time going with super expensive or at least expensive looking luggage just makes it a target for theft. I have a Delsey featherweight carryon that has been my go to suitcase for four years and gets used every week. It's still in pretty excellent shape, though one of the wheels is starting to go. Aside from that nothing else has failed and the fabric is still in fantastic shape.

Edit: Content

Just ordered five sets of blinds for my new place. Went with solar roller shades for both of our offices and blackout rollers with side channels to block out all outside light since my wife has trouble sleeping with any light creeping in. (not my photo, but these are the shades)

rockcity has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Dec 30, 2013

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Got a box of these for Christmas. drat good pencils.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

woot fatigue posted:

What's the details on that keyboard?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096M8VR2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted something to go with my Nexus 7 that could turn it into a light portable computer that I can lug around in my briefcase. It seems reliable and is cheap enough that it should be able to weather anything before I need to get a new one.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

woot fatigue posted:

I love Pelican cases. Keep my camera gear in a couple 1600s because they make great seats when I'm shooting car shows & drag strip events.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So on the topic of stupidly expensive furniture.

How do the "Reproduction" Eames chairs hold up?

I will never be able to afford the real thing, but they look so drat comfy...

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

New guts for my desktop. Didn't have the funds to upgrade my video card yet, but I have a 7850 2GB so it should do alright at 1080p for awhile until I can get one of those sweet new overkill graphics cards.

Also, already have a SATA 3 120GB SSD and a TB SATA 3 storage drive, and will be reusing my case, power supply, and Coolermaster Hyper 212+ with push/pull fans. This is going to be a ridiculous upgrade from my current Q6600!

Mad_Lion has a new favorite as of 06:25 on Dec 30, 2013

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Just a bit, I hope you plan to OC it.

New boots, because my old ones were starting to fall apart.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Cool stuffs! Though, I don't know what the pink fluffy thing is I'm going to go ahead and imagine it henceforth as being a miniature shag carpet for rabbits. Write words to say what things are. As for the wacom- bamboo tablet- the new model looks amazing! I use mine all the time. I've got an intous5(or something) at work and while there is a noticeable difference, the bamboo still owns. You should totally get Manga-Studio from SmithMicro because it's the best.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

Hellbeard posted:

Cool stuffs! Though, I don't know what the pink fluffy thing is...

It's pink curing salt. It's poisonous if eaten directly, but if its rubbed onto cuts of meat, washed off, and then hung to dry for weeks it turns into wonderful charcuterie.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

Raikiri posted:

Just a bit, I hope you plan to OC it.

New boots, because my old ones were starting to fall apart.

That looks real great. Details?

Bought some new sports gear. H&M and Casio.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?productId=0211_6207

All sold out I think, bargain though if you can find them in store.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Raikiri posted:

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?productId=0211_6207

All sold out I think, bargain though if you can find them in store.

I'd be skeptical of the kind of quality you're going to get for a $50 boot. Red Wing makes boots in a very similar style that will last you forever.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Robawesome posted:

I'd be skeptical of the kind of quality you're going to get for a $50 boot. Red Wing makes boots in a very similar style that will last you forever.

Yeah I did want the Redwing Chukkas but limited funds and ridiculous prices over here in the UK ($300) made me just gets some cheaper ones. I'd be happy if they last me a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

rockcity posted:

Just ordered five sets of blinds for my new place. Went with solar roller shades for both of our offices and blackout rollers with side channels to block out all outside light since my wife has trouble sleeping with any light creeping in. (not my photo, but these are the shades)

Some more details, please? I have moved into a new room for my home office, and the old shades aren't cutting it in full sunlight (and it's only December!)

• Locked thread