Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The good path for Trademeet has the Heroes of Trademeet note for a reason. There's gold, XP and rep gains in the followup quests for you too, which the evil route locks you out of completely. And statues of yourself are cool, yo.
I think if anyone wanted to go the evil route they'd complete the Djinn quest first so that's a large slice of the gold (IIRC) and another Shield of Harmony. Can't argue with the statues though. I made sure that all my party were shapeshifted in some way once so the heroes were a rat, werewolf, wolf, spider, flind and jelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The component cuts the possibility of getting two Shields as well.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Going back to the earlier discussion about Fighter/Mage multiclass being better than Kansai/Mage dualclass, doesn't the former have very limited HLA slots? If things like Whirlwind Attack/Hardiness/etc are such game-changers aren't they somewhat weakened by only having 5 slots for fighter HLAs before hitting the XP cap? And even then you wouldn't get HLAs at all until a long way into ToB. Plus you only get 3 slots for Mage HLAs.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Well that was unexpected - my Jester now confuses and slows with her song at level 15. Does anyone know what other changes happen with progression?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

It should be listed in the Kit Description on your character record screen.

I've just finished up Neera and Rasaad's quests in SoA and the quality of the voice work varied to a hilarious extent, some sounded professional, the rest sounded like some guy at his desk reading the words in sequence.

I think Rasaad's kicking up a romance with my female PC now that his quest is done, I think I'll see how their romance writing goes - can't be worse than Aerie's magic baby.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Going back to the earlier discussion about Fighter/Mage multiclass being better than Kansai/Mage dualclass, doesn't the former have very limited HLA slots? If things like Whirlwind Attack/Hardiness/etc are such game-changers aren't they somewhat weakened by only having 5 slots for fighter HLAs before hitting the XP cap? And even then you wouldn't get HLAs at all until a long way into ToB. Plus you only get 3 slots for Mage HLAs.

gently caress the xp cap, I like levelling up too much to leave it in.
e: I think you get to choose whatever HLA you want, not just the class that levels up. Plus there's only really two killer mage HLAs - improved alacrity and dragons breath.

the fart question fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 29, 2013

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

gender illusionist posted:

gently caress the xp cap, I like levelling up too much to leave it in.
e: I think you get to choose whatever HLA you want, not just the class that levels up. Plus there's only really two killer mage HLAs - improved alacrity and dragons breath.

Even without the XP cap and with the choice of HLAs, you still won't actually get any HLAs until a long way into ToB right? I haven't played in years and years so there's a good chance I'm wrong on this. And how much of a weakness is the inability to wear armour as a straight F/M multi?

I'm not necessarily saying that K/M dual is "better", it's just that I've forgotten a lot of the details so recommending a F/M multi seems a little strange to me

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

There's a fix for that rest bug. I don't remember what it is, but I remember that infuriating me in my first game and I somehow fixed it because it doesn't happen to me anymore. This doesn't really help all that much, but at least now you know if you Google enough you can find the answer :3:

Perhaps it was this one? http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25279/spirit-armor-hotfix

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Even without the XP cap and with the choice of HLAs, you still won't actually get any HLAs until a long way into ToB right? I haven't played in years and years so there's a good chance I'm wrong on this. And how much of a weakness is the inability to wear armour as a straight F/M multi?

I'm not necessarily saying that K/M dual is "better", it's just that I've forgotten a lot of the details so recommending a F/M multi seems a little strange to me

A fighter/mage multi will start getting HLAs at 3 million exp total, not separately. Only the level 9 spells won't be selectable until 6 million exp total. He can also wear any armor he wants and wear bracers or gauntlets. A kensai/mage can't do either.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I can't really think of an armor you'd want to wear over the Robe of Vecna though, especially if you're Kensai/Mage. And AC bracers are pretty lousy anyways, when you're a dude that can tank with mirror images, stone skins, etc.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Suspicious posted:

A fighter/mage multi will start getting HLAs at 3 million exp total, not separately. Only the level 9 spells won't be selectable until 6 million exp total. He can also wear any armor he wants and wear bracers or gauntlets. A kensai/mage can't do either.

Ah, that's totally different then. I thought HLAs were based on reaching level 20 per class rather than 3m XP overall. Yeah, I get it now.

One last thing though: does a F/M wearing armour interfere with casting in any way?

Attestant posted:

I can't really think of an armor you'd want to wear over the Robe of Vecna though, especially if you're Kensai/Mage. And AC bracers are pretty lousy anyways, when you're a dude that can tank with mirror images, stone skins, etc.

You don't get that robe until BG2 though, and even then it's expensive at the start of the game. Definitely the armour of choice once you can afford it though

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 29, 2013

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
A fighter/mage cannot cast spells in anything but robes or elven chainmail in his armor slot. You can also cast if you're wearing bracers for your armor. You can still buff up and equip a full plate before combat though.

Attestant posted:

AC is still important, at least early on when enemies don't have ridiculous THAC0s so your mirror images and stoneskins last a while instead of fading rapidly because everything is autohitting you. The adventurer's mart sells fairly cheap bracers of AC 3 which is pretty good and you can combine it with a ring/cloak/amulet of protection.

I'd rather give the robe of vecna to my main spellslinger.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

VodeAndreas posted:

It should be listed in the Kit Description on your character record screen.
Hahaha you think the kit description screen is accurate. You haven't played BG2 very much obviously. It's better than the manual I suppose

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

When I last played (with a full party), I got my first HLAs in Underdark. Getting to 3 million XP doesn't take too much time.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Iggles posted:

Hahaha you think the kit description screen is accurate. You haven't played BG2 very much obviously. It's better than the manual I suppose

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10484/jester-song posted:

I have said this on another thread with BG2 song that the description is wrong so I checked for BGEE song effects in NI and they are still same as before, which is:

Levels 1-14: Enemies must Save vs. Spell with a +2 bonus each round or be Confused for that round
Levels 15-19: Same chance of Confusion as above, plus enemies must Save vs. Spell each round or be Slowed for that round
Levels 20+: Same chances of Confusion & Slow, must also Save vs. Spells with a +2 bonus each round or be knocked Unconscious for that round

The bonus favors target but is only +2. Higher levels won't matter in BGEE but are still present in the game.

On this note, if you think that the song is too weak you can use NI to edit the bonus to your liking. It is file SPCL751A.SPL

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Iggles posted:

Yeah some of them are pretty hopeless I agree.

I was going to say it started stunning but looks like it knocks unconscious instead.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Thanks Samopsa, that's very useful. It might be worse for my playthrough. She's been turning groups against themselves, which is harder when they're slowed/unconcious. I might amend the effect to just give a penalty to enemy saves vs Confusion rather than different effects with progression but :effort:

Obviously slow/unconscious is very useful for a party but in a solo game not so much. Maybe if I've just buffed up fully and can do godlike damage in the round following knocking them unconscious.

Iggles fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 29, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Now that I have my Evil/CN PC into BG2 I am starting a good PC run in BG1. I want to use Neera and Rasaad but I am having huge issues keeping Raseed alive. W/o armor he gets hit constantly and doesn't have the HP to last long enough for me to heal him. Does anyone have any tips for keeping him alive until I can get some levels on him?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

bunnielab posted:

Now that I have my Evil/CN PC into BG2 I am starting a good PC run in BG1. I want to use Neera and Rasaad but I am having huge issues keeping Raseed alive. W/o armor he gets hit constantly and doesn't have the HP to last long enough for me to heal him. Does anyone have any tips for keeping him alive until I can get some levels on him?

Give him a handful of darts and keep him out of melee.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Give him a handful of darts and keep him out of melee.

That is such a sad thing to do.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
A quick question: In the OP, it instructs that you should install the BGT Tweak Pack when you transition over to BG2. However, the download page for the tweak pack states that the file is broken. Is it necessary to have the tweak pack?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

bunnielab posted:

That is such a sad thing to do.

Don't worry, if you continue into BG2EE and get him through his first few poo poo levels there he'll hulk the gently caress out and become a top tier damage dealer while also eventually becoming nearly immune to magic.

He's pretty much the worst character in BG1EE from a usefulness standpoint, though, because dart tossing is all he can do without getting his rear end killed. That's unfortunately how monk scaling is designed, they simply don't work at low levels. Even if he could get acceptable AC in BG1, he wouldn't be able to hurt anything dangerous because his fists are nonmagical weapons until level 9 which is beyond the normal BG1 XP cap.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Yep thats the one!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Max Wilco posted:

A quick question: In the OP, it instructs that you should install the BGT Tweak Pack when you transition over to BG2. However, the download page for the tweak pack states that the file is broken. Is it necessary to have the tweak pack?

I think you want this: http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/index.php

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I usually don't even bother picking up Rasaad until I've gotten a few levels. Then he scales to match me, and while he probably isn't as min-maxed as he could be, he isn't a level 1 Monk dying to everything either.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

No, the BGT tweak pack is something else entirely. It's for changing the BG1 portion of the game so that you don't get the full xp bonus for learning spells, disarming traps, and picking locks, along with a few other things. It's not strictly necessary, but nice to have. Also, I just tried downloading it and it worked fine for me, so I guess it was a temporary error at SHS.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
Interesting fact; killing Gorion in BGEE automatically kills the PC. Though that only happens if Gorion dies while hostile; Ctrl Y while he's neutral doesn't do anything to the PC and he can presumably live the rest of his life in peace in Candlekeep (at least until Sarevok visits).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just a reminder that the Priest of Lathander special innate ability Boon of Lathander (+1 to attack and damage, +1 attack per round, +1 all saving throws, immunity to level drain) stacks with itself. The duration is 1 round/level, so once you get multiple castings of Boon you can self-buff into a blender that's as scary or scarier than a same-level Fighter on top of your pure-class divine spellcasting power.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Think I'm going to restart yet again despite not having finished BG1 as a:
Archer,
Ranger/Cleric
Cleric/Thief

I'm going to go for a Fighter/Mage with a cheese to dual wield Drizzt's scimitars at Level 1. Chaotic Good fighter/mage, pick familiar as one of the starting spells, run to the area off high hold at L1 and cast invis 10' from the familiar and go afk until the gnolls kill Drizzt. I suppose I'll probably be hoping for a lucky sleep as well because I don't think I can take them solo at L1. :) Wish me luck!

EDIT: drat fairy dragons don't have invis 10' in BGEE

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 29, 2013

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Ugh, i am fed up with BGEE. I finally got to bereghost only to see that a lot of the NPC's just have "Invalid" for their text/conversations.

This is all i have for mods:

code:
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #70 // Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #140 // Fix Boo's Squeak: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Give Kagain A Legal Constitution Score of 19: v14

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Don't worry, if you continue into BG2EE and get him through his first few poo poo levels there he'll hulk the gently caress out and become a top tier damage dealer while also eventually becoming nearly immune to magic.

He's pretty much the worst character in BG1EE from a usefulness standpoint, though, because dart tossing is all he can do without getting his rear end killed. That's unfortunately how monk scaling is designed, they simply don't work at low levels. Even if he could get acceptable AC in BG1, he wouldn't be able to hurt anything dangerous because his fists are nonmagical weapons until level 9 which is beyond the normal BG1 XP cap.

Will he ever get useful in BG1? His increased movement speed is also a pain as I have to really work to keep him from getting to far ahead of the party. If he really sucks this much I am going to ditch him and find someone else.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bunnielab posted:

Will he ever get useful in BG1? His increased movement speed is also a pain as I have to really work to keep him from getting to far ahead of the party. If he really sucks this much I am going to ditch him and find someone else.

No.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

UberJumper posted:

Ugh, i am fed up with BGEE. I finally got to bereghost only to see that a lot of the NPC's just have "Invalid" for their text/conversations.

This is all i have for mods:

code:
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #70 // Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #140 // Fix Boo's Squeak: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer): v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values: v14
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Give Kagain A Legal Constitution Score of 19: v14
Try removing bags of holding maybe.

They really need to update the tweak back already.

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

Attestant posted:

I think my main powergamer argument for fighter/mage multi will be improved haste for ten attacks per round, with Critical Strike HLA, for balls to the wall insane damage output.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Rascyc posted:

Yup that fixed it, which annoys me even more. Bags of holding are awesome :(

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

UberJumper posted:

Yup that fixed it, which annoys me even more. Bags of holding are awesome :(

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("BAG31")

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lordpen posted:

I think my main powergamer argument for fighter/mage multi will be improved haste for ten attacks per round, with Critical Strike HLA, for balls to the wall insane damage output.

You can also be a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist which is the only way you can get a specialist mage in that combo, plus the saving throw bonuses.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Is there an easy way to remove one tweak without going through the whole thing again/

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

bunnielab posted:

Absolutely not. His fists never even count as magic weapons in BG1 which prevents him from harming most of the dangerous enemies in the game with melee. Like I said, he's probably the single worst NPC in BG1EE from a usefulness standpoint. At least Garrick can sing.

My suggestion is to do his quest just to see it and then dump him for someone not terrible until BG2 where he's actually a great NPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Absolutely not. His fists never even count as magic weapons in BG1 which prevents him from harming most of the dangerous enemies in the game with melee. Like I said, he's probably the single worst NPC in BG1EE from a usefulness standpoint. At least Garrick can sing.

My suggestion is to do his quest just to see it and then dump him for someone not terrible until BG2 where he's actually a great NPC.

Balls. I am going to EEkeeper him into a Kensai I think. He will still be made of glass but at least he can hit stuff.