Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
What about Jimmy John's? Surely they fit into this conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Their somewhat regular food poisoning issues seem to indicated they're cutting a few too many corners.

Amato's is pretty good as far as italian sandwich chains go, but they're very regional.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Sunday Talk Show Roundup

FoxNews Sunday

Guests: Discussing the road ahead for Obamacare in 2014 with former Vermont Governor Howard Dean (D), and Dr. Scott Gottlieb of the American Enterprise Institute. Also, discussing the future of the NSA with House Intelligence Committee Chair Mike Rogers (R-MI) and another member of that committee, Rep Adam Schiff (D-CA)

Panel: Brit Hume, Mara Liasson of NPR, Scott Brown and Joe Lieberman (!)

Meet The Press

Guests: House Oversight Committee Chairman, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) and Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-TX) talk the NSA. Also, Snowden’s lead legal advisor, Ben Wizner of the American Civil Liberties Union talks about him.

Panel: Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson; NBC News Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Andrea Mitchell; Council on Foreign Relations Senior Fellow Elliott Abrams; Woodrow Wilson Center Senior Fellow Robin Wright; Provost and Professor of History at George Mason University, Dr. Peter Stearns

Face The Nation

Guests: Barton Gellman of the Washington Post, one of the reporters that first wrote about Snowden, Jesselyn Radack, a legal adviser to Snowden, and Thomas Drake, a former NSA whistleblower talk Snowden, then Michael Hayden talks about how important the NSA is or something.

Panel: Jeffrey Kluger of TIME, James Fallows of The Atlantic, Laura Sydell of NPR and Seth Fletcher of Scientific American talk about technology. This will probably sound like an Andy Rooney segment.

This Week with George

Guests: ?

Panel: 2013 wrap-up, which means they're probably taking the week off.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

pentyne posted:

But honestly, I can't think of a single major franchise chain besides Blimpies and Wawa that serve sub sandwiches with any level of quality. Every city or major suburban area has places that are known for fantastic offerings, but it's never been a chain business. Sub sandwiches are/were mostly a local business thing and never became a major franchise for anyone other then Subway.

Firehouse Subs. Delicious loving sandwiches. It doesn't have the variety of Subway, and the prices are a bit more expensive, but what they do is honestly a bit better in my opinion. The shops also double as fundraiser stands for 911 services, primarily fire fighters for obvious reasons. For every $2 you donate to your fire department through them they will give you a 5 gallon bucket of pickle spears for free. They're relatively new, and primarily in the south though, so there's a good chance that not a lot of people have tried them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

I like Quiznos; to learn the banal details of its greedy overlords suffocating it is real depressing.

The private investment firm that mostly bought them out about 4 years ago has turned that poo poo around in a major way though, if that makes ya feel better.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Install Windows posted:

The private investment firm that mostly bought them out about 4 years ago has turned that poo poo around in a major way though, if that makes ya feel better.

This is one of the weirder sentences I've read on DnD. Private equity firms improving the businesses they buy? What the gently caress is this, the fifties?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

This is one of the weirder sentences I've read on DnD. Private equity firms improving the businesses they buy? What the gently caress is this, the fifties?

Probably just some old-fashioned fuddy-duddys who think that a sandwich shop should make its money selling sandwiches, and can't see the immense profit to be made packaging sandwich sales into sandwich-sale-backed-securities, then pooling those SSBS into even larger securities which are divided into tranches, with the top tranche getting a AAA rating so even pension funds can gamble on Americans' love affair with sandwiches.

Then you take the remaining junk-rated tranches, pool them all together, and retranche them into AAA and other levels as many times as you like. Since these are guaranteed to fail, you sell them to a sucker and secretly bet against them on the sandwich swap markets.

You can goose profits by tripling the price of sandwiches, which you'd think would hurt demand, but if you accept IOU's from "Liar Buyers" and take their word to pay you Tuesday for a sandwich today, then sales will be brisk.

:patriot:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VitalSigns posted:

Probably just some old-fashioned fuddy-duddys who think that a sandwich shop should make its money selling sandwiches, and can't see the immense profit to be made packaging sandwich sales into sandwich-sale-backed-securities, then pooling those SSBS into even larger securities which are divided into tranches, with the top tranche getting a AAA rating so even pension funds can gamble on Americans' love affair with sandwiches.

Then you take the remaining junk-rated tranches, pool them all together, and retranche them into AAA and other levels as many times as you like. Since these are guaranteed to fail, you sell them to a sucker and secretly bet against them on the sandwich swap markets.

You can goose profits by tripling the price of sandwiches, which you'd think would hurt demand, but if you accept IOU's from "Liar Buyers" and take their word to pay you Tuesday for a sandwich today, then sales will be brisk.

:patriot:

That was the best paraphrase of Michael Lewis' The Big Short I've ever read. :golfclap:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rygar201 posted:

All Quizno's did beforehand was lose money massively without it even being done in a way that got someone rich. Now they're running at a modest profit and the new owners are raking in fat stacks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will never eat in a Jimmy John's after hearing the stories about how they treat employees and threaten to fire them often if they get sick and can't come in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will never eat in a Jimmy John's after hearing the stories about how they treat employees and threaten to fire them often if they get sick and can't come in.

For what it's worth I worked at the Jimmy John's at UCF and they were a good store and treated everyone fairly. That sucks that other stores weren't the same.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Seriously though, people should go to jail for forcing sick employees to work in the food service industry and potentially make other people seriously ill.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

FlamingLiberal posted:

At my old store being sick and not finding someone to cover your shift was considered a no call - no show and people had to sign papers at hiring stating that. If you could afford to see a doctor (good luck with minimum wage and no health insurance) then you could get a note. One for every day you were sick. I never fired anyone for being sick though, I'd send their rear end home because I'll be damned if I'm going to work 60 hours a week with a cold because some jackass coughed on me.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Firehouse Subs. Delicious loving sandwiches. It doesn't have the variety of Subway, and the prices are a bit more expensive, but what they do is honestly a bit better in my opinion. The shops also double as fundraiser stands for 911 services, primarily fire fighters for obvious reasons. For every $2 you donate to your fire department through them they will give you a 5 gallon bucket of pickle spears for free. They're relatively new, and primarily in the south though, so there's a good chance that not a lot of people have tried them.

We got em up here in the Chicago 'burbs, and I'll second that they are really good but don't really have a big variety of sandwiches on offer. What they all have though is a huge collection of rare hot sauces that are fun to try and range from mild to nuclear.

Also drat I didn't realize JJ's treated their employees so lovely :( I thought I.read somewhere that they were unionized.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 29, 2013

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Silver Nitrate posted:

At my old store being sick and not finding someone to cover your shift was considered a no call - no show and people had to sign papers at hiring stating that. If you could afford to see a doctor (good luck with minimum wage and no health insurance) then you could get a note. One for every day you were sick. I never fired anyone for being sick though, I'd send their rear end home because I'll be damned if I'm going to work 60 hours a week with a cold because some jackass coughed on me.

What an exceptionally lovely practice.

"I mew be spewing from both ends, but I can't find anyone to cover for me, so I have to drag myself to work, and cough on the boss in the hope he'll send me home."

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

quote:

Ari Shapiro was more diplomatic. "I will say that no matter how big a fan of Jimmy John's subs you may be at the beginning, after a few weeks on the Romney press bus, the sight of that box will be enough to make you decide to skip lunch," he tells us.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/07/19/156970883/romney-and-jimmy-johns-sandwiches-never-far-apart

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Before my restaurant relocated I had a jimmy johns with a drive thru on my commute route and I ended up eating subs probably 3 days every given week.

I actually miss them, too. I like a plain-rear end lettuce & mayo sub and they had good roast beef.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was wondering what conservative rear end in a top hat said which outrageous thing that spawned 2 pages of new replies.

Turns out we're discussing food.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I was wondering what conservative rear end in a top hat said which outrageous thing that spawned 2 pages of new replies.

Turns out we're discussing food.
I'm pretty sure foodchat is the #1 derail of SA threads, whether it's here, in SAS, CD, or TVIV

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure foodchat is the #1 derail of SA threads, whether it's here, in SAS, CD, or TVIV

Hell, over in Trad Games, we turned our D&D Next thread into our dedicated food derail thread.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
That Capriotti's chain that Biden got caught without money to pay for his sandwiches at a few weeks ago also makes some drat good sandwiches. Like, 20" Thanksgiving sandwiches, with in-house roasted turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce on them.

I miss those sandwiches.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kilty Monroe posted:

That Capriotti's chain that Biden got caught without money to pay for his sandwiches at a few weeks ago also makes some drat good sandwiches. Like, 20" Thanksgiving sandwiches, with in-house roasted turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce on them.

I miss those sandwiches.
Awesome, we have a place here in Orlando that makes a similar sandwich and it's great

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

TURN IT OFF! posted:

What an exceptionally lovely practice.

"I mew be spewing from both ends, but I can't find anyone to cover for me, so I have to drag myself to work, and cough on the boss in the hope he'll send me home."

That's pretty much everywhere in the food industry because they're staffed as sparsely as humanly possible to reduce overhead. If you call off sick in any restaurant without someone to cover for you, you make everyone's lives harder since they have to pick up your slack. There's a motto in the industry that if you don't find someone to cover your shift you better be in jail, in the hospital, or in a ditch.

There's a story in the Kitchen Industry thread in GWS about someone who knew a guy that went to work and ended up plating salads with what he thought was the flu, but turned out to be norovirus and got a couple hundred people sick and the catering company got sued for millions. You'd think that the potential court cases and the food inspector shuttering your place of business would make sure you have someone just in case, but most restaurant owners save every red cent they can find.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Taylor Swift instagrammed a pic of herself and her brother wearing matching red flannel pj onesies. At Powerline, John Hinderaker gives us maybe the clearest example of what it's like to be trapped in the mind of a dittohead.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/12/merry-christmas-5.php

quote:

The guy in the photo is Taylor’s brother; I know because one of my daughters told me so. But here’s the question: can the red plaid onesies possibly be a coincidence? I see three alternatives: 1) Miss Swift really is the only person in the USA who doesn’t know that plaid onesies, paired with hot chocolate and nerd glasses, have been mercilessly mocked by millions for the past week. Argument for this interpretation: She has written many songs, not one of which contains even a hint as to any political leanings, suggesting she has none. She is immensely rich and does indeed live in a bubble. 2) Miss Swift is slyly joining in the mockery. Argument for this interpretation: How can she not know? Everyone knows. 3) On the contrary, she is subtly sticking up for Obamacare by assuring her legions of fans that plaid onesies are cool after all. Argument for this interpretation: Swift reportedly looked pained and disapproving when hosts Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley mocked Obamacare at the Country Music Awards. I have no idea which answer is correct, so the only way to solve the riddle is with a poll. If you have an opinion, go ahead and express it:

I hear these words delivered in a hollow, echoing, Twilight Zone voice-over during an extreme close-up of darting eyes.

And yes there's a poll on the page. "It's her subtle way of endorsing Obamacare" is winning at 52%, over "Sheer coincidence. She is unaware of Pajama Boy" and "It's her sly way of ridiculing Pajama Boy and Obamacare."

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 30, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
How can she not know? Everyone knows. :tinfoil:

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Nobody who isn't a loving rear end in a top hat knows about "Pajama Boy". This is some A Beautiful Mind level poo poo.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Where's the option for "who loving cares"?

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Von Sloneker posted:

At Powerline, John Hinderaker gives us maybe the clearest example of what it's like to be trapped in the mind of a dittohead.
Unfortunately it's all downhill after "I know because one of my daughters told me so." Good job Powerline dude, way to make yourself sound a million years old!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I've seen my share of offensive headlines for stories but images, this is just despicable from Breitbaft

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Woo-hoo! Go Connecticut! Also, gently caress Breitbart. That sort of malicious ignorance is so loving commonplace I don't even know how to respond other than that.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Yeah, that's a bunch of poo poo. But what perplexes me is the article itself is written straight, it may as well be from AP. Who the gently caress that isn't a spiteful right-winger would write for Breitbart? Do they grab "straight" news articles then slap horrible images on them? Who is Dr. Susan Berry and does she know she's a Breitbart writer? Weird. If I were to hypothesize that the site were trying to cultivate a more serious image in the newsgathering world, that picture sure nips that in the bud.

edit: wait, I get it, it's like those Chuck Asay cartoons where the intended readership is supposed to recoil from what most sane people would think is reasonable, i.e.: in this case insuring the transgendered.

yet another edit: for those who don't subject themselves to the horrors of the political cartoon thread, this is what I mean:

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 30, 2013

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Von Sloneker posted:

Taylor Swift instagrammed a pic of herself and her brother wearing matching red flannel pj onesies. At Powerline, John Hinderaker gives us maybe the clearest example of what it's like to be trapped in the mind of a dittohead.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/12/merry-christmas-5.php

I hear these words delivered in a hollow, echoing, Twilight Zone voice-over during an extreme close-up of darting eyes.

And yes there's a poll on the page. "It's her subtle way of endorsing Obamacare" is winning at 52%, over "Sheer coincidence. She is unaware of Pajama Boy" and "It's her sly way of ridiculing Pajama Boy and Obamacare."

Red flannel pajamas are to conservatives what cake was to video game nerds after Portal came out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a former Republican Congressman wearing red flannel pajamas last week.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Holy poo poo that is the most smug painting ever put to canvas.

Ted Cruz's of course being the most narcissistic put to canvas.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 30, 2013

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is he sitting next to Paris Hilton? :psyduck:

I hope Republicans never, ever stop obsessing over pop culture minutia. May their political will forever be spent on referencing memes, emailing TV stations, and smugly ordering chicken sandwiches.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a close up of the picture he's holding.

Yes, those are little people bowing down to him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sharkie posted:

Is he sitting next to Paris Hilton? :psyduck:

For real dude? That's Mika Brzezinski.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The hostility to gender-change surgery is baffling to me. It's like they think people do it for fun or vanity or something. Who the hell would get a sex change for fun?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

VitalSigns posted:

The hostility to gender-change surgery is baffling to me. It's like they think people do it for fun or vanity or something. Who the hell would get a sex change for fun?
God made you the sex you were born with. You're going against God's will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Lycus posted:

God made you the sex you were born with. You're going against God's will.

Yeah but if you feel like you should be the other sex, god also did that. Because god does everything. So if you don't change your sex you're going against God's will.