Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Wait wait wait

There's a new game plus? Do you have to beat all of the quests to get it?

You have to clear all three arcs (which shouldn't be hard) and do all of Elisa's non-daily quests (which borders on bullshit), but yes.

I forget what all carries over, but I know for a fact everything in your storage does, but none of your recipes or crafting levels do, so stock up on the Recipe Bread+s.

Also, you can only do it once per save file, ever. If you New Game Plus, you can't New Game Plus again on that save.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm trying to finish up all my quests so I can New Game Plus, but I'm stuck on one in particular: the "Befriend 50 monsters!" one. The thing that's stopping me is gathering enough lumber and stone to upgrade my monster shacks 6 more times... is there a faster way to get that done, short of wasting all my PP to gently caress up my fields with rocks and wood?

Keep all your fields and all of the seasonal fields as cleared out and unplowed as possible, then call a typhoon. Clear the fields, repeat. Not only do you get a ton of both stone AND lumber, but you also get plenty of weeds to use as fertilizer. If I remember, it's cheaper than loading the fields repeatedly, too. I could be wrong there, though.

This is also a good way to farm for Mealy Apples, which are loving fantastic when combined with Object Xes on armor.

Also, it works best if you've got two or three fields; a single field won't cut it for getting that stuff.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Dirk the Average posted:

You can buy lumber and stone from the prince's (can't remember his name) store. It's a tad expensive, but if you're that far in the game, it shouldn't be a problem. Just save before opening up the store and reload until he has lumber or stone.

Abused the everloving poo poo out of this 'cuz I've already made a ton of money off of Turnip Heavens. And now I've cleared the quest! Hooray.

Now I just have to get everyone's FP up to 10... which will take a while one way or another. The good news is that everyone's at at least 8 FP... the bad news is that grinding up FP takes forever past 7 or 8 points without the use of Love Potions, which -also- take a long, expensive time to grind the materials for. And I've still got 19 townsfolk to get up there... :sigh:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Hahaha holy poo poo Nancy is the best character. :allears: Stunlocked a Mamadoodle to death with her spamming fist attacks, Arthur giving spell support, and me just throwing fireballs and water lasers at it. It took quite awhile in-game though, since I'm only level 17.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Nondevor posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo Nancy is the best character. :allears: Stunlocked a Mamadoodle to death with her spamming fist attacks, Arthur giving spell support, and me just throwing fireballs and water lasers at it. It took quite awhile in-game though, since I'm only level 17.

She wants to fight a bear to the death with her fists, so she's probably ready for that now. :allears:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
That's awesome.

How do I clear a dungeon flower? I've beaten the dungeon a few times and would like my square back.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You can sickle those just like any other plant if I remember correctly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Blhue posted:

You can sickle those just like any other plant if I remember correctly.

Yep, and they level up too! However, by the time you actually get one to level 10, you've probably outleveled the contents of the dungeon to the point where it's not worth actually venturing into anymore.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Also true. Basically, they suck as implemented. If you had access to them from the start, rather than having to find your first seed in an area you probably won't find on your own without the help of a guide or huge luck, maybe then they would be worthwhile.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Blhue posted:

Also true. Basically, they suck as implemented. If you had access to them from the start, rather than having to find your first seed in an area you probably won't find on your own without the help of a guide or huge luck, maybe then they would be worthwhile.

Wow I looked it up and that's awful. Time based, no hints as to when and where. Is there any other fantastic hidden content?

Edit: Holy poo poo if you want your mind blown look into how deep the crafting system goes. Like, recursive item crafting and hidden abilities and 4 or 5 different level scales and :psyboom:

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 23, 2013

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Had my first typhoon in the middle of summer. Thank god Porcoline warned me about the incoming storm. Luckily I grew cherry grass earlier in spring and shipped them to Illuminata; the downside was that I had to spend about ~10k on rebuying those to mass-produce Wettable Powder. I was running around the entire day trying to make sure my crops were okay. There were a few casualties, but none of the rarer crops or my trees died. :unsmith:

At least my chemistry skills went up a few levels!

edit: :stare: When Vishal gave the wake-up call, he mentioned that he went to a dungeon and gave me a request. The objective was to "accept Vishnal's request" and obtain "Vishnal's reward." I got something called an Earth Dragon's Ash and a large amount of Princess Points to go along with it. I want to say around 1000?

But seriously, hot drat where did the guy even go? It stood out even more because he's only level 17 in my game.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 23, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Once you become princey or princessy enough, you can order the typhoons to gently caress right off. Its kind of amazing.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
This game is ten kinds of amazing in general. While I think the RF3 cast is a little more wackier (except for Porcoline. Nothing can beat Porcoline), it's stuff like ordering off a typhoon and the random events that make it.

Did anyone else get a request from Vishnal like I did? I edited it into my previous post before noticing Blhue's post.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 23, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I did that request but I'm pretty sure the reward is randomized. I think I got some useless crap, but that's a boss drop you won't see for quite a while.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I tried playing Harvest Moon DS Cute, but I think I really, truly hate it. The villagers are assholes, the bachelors are caricatures of unattractive, middle-aged creeps and there is only so much awful the cuteness of the Witch Princess can deflect. I understand why there was a best friend system in the Japanese version. The only age-appropriate male option is the extremely lazy, mullet-wielding Rock.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So.. Rune Factory 4. I just (end of game spoiler) "beat" it, assuming the first credits roll is "beating" the game. Venti comes down and immediately calls me a "dumbass." This series could not be any better at this point. I just needed somewhere to say that.

Holy poo poo, that's just story arc 1. NEVERMIND! I had a feeling this game felt kinda short and I'm really happy that I was completely wrong. Here I was thinking all that extra dungeon, crafting, and farming was just for completionism sake!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 24, 2013

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

GabrielAisling posted:

I tried playing Harvest Moon DS Cute, but I think I really, truly hate it. The villagers are assholes, the bachelors are caricatures of unattractive, middle-aged creeps and there is only so much awful the cuteness of the Witch Princess can deflect. I understand why there was a best friend system in the Japanese version. The only age-appropriate male option is the extremely lazy, mullet-wielding Rock.

There's also the Big Anime Thief who appears after 10pm.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

HellOnEarth posted:

There's also the Big Anime Thief who appears after 10pm.

Yeah, I found him, but I'm used to there being at least some deliberation, not "well, this guy seems the least offensive, guess I'll go with him." The others would be fine if not for the obnoxiously exaggerated features/anime aging. Carter is sweet, but I think he's in his fifties, and I object to 30+ year age gaps, courtesy of my one attempt to read a Nora Roberts book and the romantic interest was old enough to be the protagonist's grandfather. :barf:

Oh well. There's still Grand Bazaar and ToTT to play around in.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Goddamnit, why won't the game let me marry Volkanon or at least go out on adventures with him? He just punched a bridge into existence for me and stole my heart. :swoon:

How long is this game anyway? I'm worried I'm blazing through it too fast, I just lost to the chimera and want to know if I should just chill out for a bit. I'm not even done with Spring yet.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Squidtamer DA posted:

Goddamnit, why won't the game let me marry Volkanon or at least go out on adventures with him? He just punched a bridge into existence for me and stole my heart. :swoon:

How long is this game anyway? I'm worried I'm blazing through it too fast, I just lost to the chimera and want to know if I should just chill out for a bit. I'm not even done with Spring yet.

Don't worry, there's much more content than you'd expect. Later dungeons get a lot tougher, so you'll need to spend time building up your skills. The pace you're going at right now should be fine.

And yeah, not being able to adventure with Volkanon is disappointing! Makes sense though, he'd obliterate everything in an instant. It's his job as a butler. :allears:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Awesome thanks! And is an Emperor Carrot a giant one or one I have to grow specifically? I need a thunder horse pal.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Aerofallosov posted:

Awesome thanks! And is an Emperor Carrot a giant one or one I have to grow specifically? I need a thunder horse pal.

A giant one. The boss monsters are fun to take into the highest level dungeons so I wish you luck with your horse taming misadventures.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You'll want to save scum for bosses, though. It can take just one, but it's still pretty much like 10%. It's rather infuriating.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I want to try taming the other bosses, but it's a pain to grow all those giant crops. The puppet one is definitely the easiest to do for the boss-taming quest though - two apple pies and you're golden.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm late to the party and just got Rune Factory 3. Any tips to make the game easier? It's been a long time since I played the second one. Already decided to hook up with Pia as she's nuts but not too crazy (like the eating girl or backwards talking girl).

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

KariOhki posted:

Already decided to hook up with Pia as she's nuts but not too crazy (like the eating girl or backwards talking girl).

Hoo boy, you're in for a surprise.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

KariOhki posted:

I'm late to the party and just got Rune Factory 3. Any tips to make the game easier? It's been a long time since I played the second one. Already decided to hook up with Pia as she's nuts but not too crazy (like the eating girl or backwards talking girl).

Take a villager into dungeons and cook and craft a gently caress ton.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I started Sunshine Islands yesterday. It's cute, the villagers are better than DS Cute, and I like the farm better. It is a little slow, though, and it's hard to find all the villagers to talk every day.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
RF4 - is it worth taming a boss monster over a level ~300 one? Will their specials make up for the difference in raw power?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mordecai posted:

RF4 - is it worth taming a boss monster over a level ~300 one? Will their specials make up for the difference in raw power?

The most important thing about bosses is that they're typically immune to all status effects and knockups. This means that if you're riding them, you'll never be knocked off, which is a huge help. In addition, you eventually unlock the ability to refight bosses at level 300+ - those are the best ones to tame.

What I did in terms of taming was use the Mamadoodle, Wolf, and a couple of the faeries in the main game, and then swap over to level 300+ monsters to progress in that area, and then tame a couple of super strong boss monsters once I got access to them. Remember that wearing the Rosary as you enter a randomly generated area will let you skip straight to the bosses, which cuts down a ton on save scumming time.

Edit: vv To be fair, if you control her yourself her card throw thing where she throws out a spread of cards is absolutely devastating and makes killing just about anything in the game a joke. She also can't use it against bosses, so she only really wastes your time on little dudes that'll die to it anyway.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 26, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bosses usually have attack patterns that are a lot more dangerous than, say, one of those apple monsters. Though sometimes they're just annoying. Remember that "put you in a box, then fill it with knives that do next to no damage" attack the marionette boss does? She still does it tamed, and the monsters are invulnerable to anything else while in the box.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
As I don't have a 3DS (yet), both RF4 and A New Beginning are completely out of my reach. Every other game I'd have access to. Right now I'm going through a playthrough of Tree of Tranquility.
What should I go through next?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

As I don't have a 3DS (yet), both RF4 and A New Beginning are completely out of my reach. Every other game I'd have access to. Right now I'm going through a playthrough of Tree of Tranquility.

Rune Factory 3.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

IAmTheRad posted:

Give Animal Parade a shot if you like Tree, it is a refinement of that title. Also do not try to marry Carter in Tree unless you got a revised disc direct from Natsume, they put a game breaking bug in during their localization of it.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Dirk the Average posted:

The most important thing about bosses is that they're typically immune to all status effects and knockups. This means that if you're riding them, you'll never be knocked off, which is a huge help. In addition, you eventually unlock the ability to refight bosses at level 300+ - those are the best ones to tame.

I finally cleared Rune Prana. Is that in the Sharance Maze? Do they show up on specific floors?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah. In Sharance, you fight through 10 floors with pumped up boss refights at the end of every other floor. For the most part, they're not too dangerous as long as you're keeping geared up, though that drat butterfly is surprisingly dangerous when buffed.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

IAmTheRad posted:

Seconding Rune Factory 3. It's a great game in its own right, and you should play it before moving onto RF4 anyway.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mordecai posted:

I finally cleared Rune Prana. Is that in the Sharance Maze? Do they show up on specific floors?

Yep. Some stages have fixed bosses, others have random bosses. I actually still haven't unlocked the Rune Prana but have gone through the second hardest floor of the maze simply by virtue of taming dudes to tame more dudes to tame bosses - wearing an accessory I crafted that pumps up their stats (and gives me extra xp/skillxp) helped quite a bit. I also feed the bosses gifts to up their crit chance every day, since crits do a shitton more damage than normal hits once defense starts to skyrocket.

As an alternative to crits, faint attack can do wonders against super high level stuff, since it'll take ages to kill normally, but instant death will still affect it. Doesn't work on bosses, of course, but if you're fighting level 1000 trash while exploring, that speeds up fights immensely.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

In RF4 can you use the sickle on a giant crop to get a seed bag for the giant crop, ship the seed, and then be able to buy seed bags for giant crops?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LLSix posted:

In RF4 can you use the sickle on a giant crop to get a seed bag for the giant crop, ship the seed, and then be able to buy seed bags for giant crops?

Nope. I just tried and got the same seed as normal. On the other hand, giantizer is stupidly easy to mass produce once you get your chemistry up enough and can buy the components from the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

They sell for the same prices as normal crops, too. Pretty much only good for filling out your shipping list, befriending boss monsters and (I assume) crafting.

• Locked thread