Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I've decided to get out of Alternators/Binaltech now that the MP line is filling that need inside me, so if anyone is interested in these, shoot me a PM. I'd be willing to do a sweet bulk price if you want more than one. All MISB.

Binaltech Hound
Binaltech Dead End
Binaltech Swindle
Alt Sunstreaker
Alt Skids
Alt Swerve
Alt Mirage
Alt Camshaft
Alt Windcharger
Alt Decepticharge
Alt Ricochet
Alt Nemesis Prime

Oh I also have a generations Waspinator that I bought and decided I don't want, brand new, cost + shipping.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Remember the days when you couldn't get Alternators Swerve for less than $100? The times they are a-changin'.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I paid well over $100 for mine, but I won't be getting that back on him lol.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

So, I read an old interview with Roberts about how there would be a clear "Before Dark Cybertron" and "After Dark Cybertron" divide in the comics instead of Dark Cybertron being totally forgettable. I decided to read the comics and found this little gem:

MtMtE #22 An Ammonites combiner is holding Thunderclash hostage, rambling about their war.

MtMtE #24 (Dark Cybertron #4) The main characters of the Lost Light segment encounter the Ammonites elsewhere and draw their fire so the ship will not be destroyed. They find Metroplex.

So Metroplex can somehow destroy a planet.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You sure Shockwave's not the dark cyclops?
His face is in the covenant of primus.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rita Repulsa posted:

Or, you know, Whirl. The guy who assassinated the Terradore leader on a whim.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Rita Repulsa posted:

Duh, that makes more sense. :doh: Forgot the Covenant of Primus thing. Dunno how they would go about contacting him though. Just felt it was odd that the Ammonites were at the same place as Metroplex, which is where my leap of logic came from.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The Ammonites followed the Lost Light.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Simon Furman delivers a measured and well-thought-out response to Mairghread Scott and her views on Spotlight: Arceehahahaha gently caress no, he's a shitlord about it.

Simon Furman posted:

Generally, I stay out of Internet blurts, but when a fellow ‘professional’ chooses to air her views on my work quite so publicly I feel constrained to respond/defend myself (just as publicly)

Nice scarequotes. He also uses a TFW post of all things to defend himself because he apparently cannot articulate his own thoughts.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Are the TF comics work getting into? I've read a the few that came with the newest generation lined toys. I like the one that came with Skids and Thundercrakers was not bad. Are those actually from the running comics or one offs?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Revolver Bunker posted:

Are the TF comics work getting into? I've read a the few that came with the newest generation lined toys. I like the one that came with Skids and Thundercrakers was not bad. Are those actually from the running comics or one offs?

James Roberts is a better writer than we deserve. (we only deserve furman :(). I think there's a guide in the OP, in case there isn't read Last Stand of the Wreckers, Death of Optimus, and continue from there with MTMTE and RID (preference towards MTMTE but I like both)

...yknow does anyone ever say "FURMAN'S REGENERATION 1 ROCKSS!!!" I barely remember it exists most of the time and what I've heard of it sounds crap. Furman's probably on his way out thank god, I can't read that big whiny defense of Spotlight Arcee and I doubt anyone cares what he says anymore now that his name has proven to NOT move comics.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Revolver Bunker posted:

Echoing what Rita Repulsa said, you might also want to look into Issues #22 and #23 (Chaos Theory pt 1-2) of the previous ongoing. They're Roberts penned and set up a great deal of background for both Cybertronian society as well as the characters of both Optimus and Megatron. I'd recommend skipping the rest of the Chaos nonsense afterward though, unless you really need context for why the war is over.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I wouldn't really say that Chaos gives context since the war ended 20-something issues before Chaos began and Chaos never really makes sense or explain what the hell is going on in any sort of satisfying way.

As for Furman, I'll say what I said elsewhere last night. He's the comics equivalent of Stan Bush. Clinging to and trying to make a living out of that one early success with Transformers in the 80s and never admitting that they just kind of suck.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Is anyone interested in arms micron Frenzy and Rumble? I have a spare now, they are new in box, stickers and micron have not been opened.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Keldroc posted:

Remember the days when you couldn't get Alternators Swerve for less than $100? The times they are a-changin'.

I had a bunch of MISB Alternators in a box in storage and I'm pretty sure it was thrown away when we cleaned out our garage a few years ago. Sometimes I'll look through my parent's garage/attic/shed in hopes of coming across it. I still hate myself for that. :doh:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

3 posted:

Simon Furman delivers a measured and well-thought-out response to Mairghread Scott and her views on Spotlight: Arceehahahaha gently caress no, he's a shitlord about it.

Nice scarequotes. He also uses a TFW post of all things to defend himself because he apparently cannot articulate his own thoughts.

That post makes him come off like some vast, predatory turd. I am seriously bothered by his response to Scott's comments on just about every conceivable level, and that TFW post he quotes is absolutely idiotic. And really, Simon? You hate retcons? The writer of Regeneration One is railing against retcons? Give me a large personal break.

It kind of makes me want to get rid of my copy of the TF movie encyclopedia he signed for me. My days of being a Furman fan may very well be over...finished!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SpikeMcclane posted:

I wouldn't really say that Chaos gives context since the war ended 20-something issues before Chaos began and Chaos never really makes sense or explain what the hell is going on in any sort of satisfying way.
I believe the war was over at the start of or during AHM when Megatron was unable to reconcile his vast legions back into any kind of civilization, no?

And yeah, Chaos is goofy and doesn't explain anything. How much of the following did Chaos cover:
  • Megatron uses a codebreaker to gain access to Autobot security codes
  • Huge battles across the galaxy ensue, implied massive losses and destruction of infrastructure on both sides
  • (Last Stand shows one of these battles)
  • Megatron's elite soldiers conquer Earth while he ignores the rest of his failing empire (again, implied)
  • Megatron is beaten in the face by Optimus and Spike, goes into a coma, during this time Starscream is unable to assert authority over the failing Decepticon ... I want to say hegemony here but I don't think they even got that far, I suppose "scattered enclaves"
  • Megatron is rebuilt and instead of working to restore order among the Decepticons he goes back to Earth (I think Starscream even had a full on 'holy poo poo you're a loving idiot' at Megatron moment in here to boot)
  • Rodimus arrives on Earth after Megatron surrenders to Optimus for reasons poorly explained and tells them bad poo poo is going down on Cybertron
  • Police Action is a loving rad story of how Prowl got his groove back. Note: Groove is not in this story.
  • Chaos cripples the Decepticons on Cybertron that Megatron teleported in with his space bridge body, but doesn't deal with the scattered enclaves at all

As an aside, I think Furman did some interesting work in the pre-AHM era although the spotlight is one of several low points. I really enjoyed the idea of the transformers shadow war. That being said, there's a massive bit of comedy in this whole context, given the Dead Universe is his baby and that's also the point where IDW allowed him to slowly walk off stage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just opened my Metroplex. Sweet jesus, 100 decals? gently caress you Hasbro!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

That post makes him come off like some vast, predatory turd. I am seriously bothered by his response to Scott's comments on just about every conceivable level, and that TFW post he quotes is absolutely idiotic. And really, Simon? You hate retcons? The writer of Regeneration One is railing against retcons? Give me a large personal break.

It kind of makes me want to get rid of my copy of the TF movie encyclopedia he signed for me. My days of being a Furman fan may very well be over...finished!

I've generally tried to defend Spotlight Arcee as a decent idea handled poorly, but at a certain point you have to examine who you're aligning yourself with/defending, and jump ship. This is like hearing my grandma try to explain why she's not racist, but Amos and Andy is REALLY funny.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It’s amazing watching the entire internet collectively turn and raise their eyebrows at Simon Furman

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I've had mine since...August or something and keep looking at it going 'One day I'll put those stickers on there'.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rei_ posted:

It’s amazing watching the entire internet collectively turn and raise their eyebrows at Simon Furman

Haha, that is a great way of putting it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rhyno posted:

Never get into collecting Brave figures.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SpikeMcclane posted:

As for Furman, I'll say what I said elsewhere last night. He's the comics equivalent of Stan Bush. Clinging to and trying to make a living out of that one early success with Transformers in the 80s and never admitting that they just kind of suck.

Yeah, that's really a good way of putting it. He hasn't done much outside of Transformers. Really, the reason why Simon Furman was considered the "good" Transformer writer was just because Bob Budiansky's Transformers comics sucked so bad, the UK stuff and later US stuff penned by Furman seemed fantastic in comparison.

I remember not long after I got an SA account I found this thread when I was still in college, and I said that the Marvel G1 comics sucked and everyone was like "What the gently caress?! You just haven't read the British comics."

Simon Furman is simply a mediocre writer whose claim to fame is Transformers, if you can even call that fame. There's definitely a lot of way worse writers out there, many of whom help create movies with budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars, but Furman isn't even a blip on the radar, he's a nobody. Guys like Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman may be hacks, but they're hacks with big names who make millions of dollars.

That said, Furman's early -ation stuff are worth a read if you're a Transformers fan and are into the comics. Furman slings a lot of poo poo at the wall, and some things are legitimately cool ideas (hollomatter avatars, Decepticons conquering worlds by creating political unrest disguised as military vehicles, a world in the process of going through a kind of transhuman evolution and hints that Cybertron was the same, and so on) but there are plenty of things about them that are just awful too (Arcee and Headmaster Sunstreaker are the high profile ones.) Overall, Simon Furman got a little too excited and was like a kid playing with too many toys - between all the -ation books and spotlights he had like 6 story arcs going on at the same time, many of which were abruptly cut short when he got the boot.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I dunno, Furman has some flaws, but I think just because he's an old white man with no understanding of feminist/LGBT issues doesn't mean he's suddenly mediocre or bad. Given enough time James Roberts could possibly equal Furman's input to TF canon/fiction, but he's certainly not there yet. Chuck Berry may have a serious piss and scat fetish, but he still invented rock n roll.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I dunno, Furman has some flaws, but I think just because he's an old white man with no understanding of feminist/LGBT issues doesn't mean he's suddenly mediocre or bad. Given enough time James Roberts could possibly equal Furman's input to TF canon/fiction, but he's certainly not there yet. Chuck Berry may have a serious piss and scat fetish, but he still invented rock n roll.

He's not suddenly mediocre, he's always been kind of mediocre. He's just the best Transformers comics had before James Roberts came in. He's also not the worst loving writer ever, either. Transformers fans would very often kind of elevate him to high levels and say his work was Shakespeare or would say he's the worst ever because Transformers fans.

However he has always been pretty sexist, dating back to the 80s. Arcee's origin story in the G1 comic was that feminists complained that there were no girl robots, and when they made her, the feminists complained that she was too sexist.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

He's not suddenly mediocre, he's always been kind of mediocre. He's just the best Transformers comics had before James Roberts came in. He's also not the worst loving writer ever, either. Transformers fans would very often kind of elevate him to high levels and say his work was Shakespeare or would say he's the worst ever because Transformers fans.

However he has always been pretty sexist, dating back to the 80s. Arcee's origin story in the G1 comic was that feminists complained that there were no girl robots, and when they made her, the feminists complained that she was too sexist.

I am (of course) not defending his recent comments or his handling of female characters in general, but in my metaphor above, "rock n roll" is "taking Transformers seriously". No other 80s toy advertisement disguised as fiction (and there were PLENTY) has a canon anywhere near as rich and fleshed out and the Transformers, and it's largely to Furman's credit. Beast Wars's writers have talked about not really knowing what they were doing with BW (in that groundbreaking 2/3 sense) until A.T.T turned them on to Furman's stuff. I don't think it takes much of a leap to say that there wouldn't be "serious" TF fiction without one guy taking his lovely comic assignment and going balls deep with it.

(Please note that at no point have I claimed he was a great writer. At best I'd call him a good plotter, and terrific at taking obscure toys and making them beloved characters.)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I am (of course) not defending his recent comments or his handling of female characters in general, but in my metaphor above, "rock n roll" is "taking Transformers seriously". No other 80s toy advertisement disguised as fiction (and there were PLENTY) has a canon anywhere near as rich and fleshed out and the Transformers, and it's largely to Furman's credit. Beast Wars's writers have talked about not really knowing what they were doing with BW (in that groundbreaking 2/3 sense) until A.T.T turned them on to Furman's stuff. I don't think it takes much of a leap to say that there wouldn't be "serious" TF fiction without one guy taking his lovely comic assignment and going balls deep with it.

(Please note that at no point have I claimed he was a great writer. At best I'd call him a good plotter, and terrific at taking obscure toys and making them beloved characters.)

Yeah, I'm not accusing you of defending his lovely sexist attitudes.

Like, a lot of the Furman stories are okay for what they are. But they're not fantastic. It's just a typical 80s tie-in comic.

Honestly, kids loved Transformers because of the toys and the G1 cartoon, because only a small fraction read the comics, and an even smaller fraction read the UK exclusive ones. The cartoon wasn't great either, but it was above average for an 80s action toy commercial. Transformers G1 and G.I. Joe weren't Shakespeare, but when all you had to compare it to was Masters of the Universe and Gobots, they sure as hell stood out. (The Real Ghostbusters was by far the best 80s action cartoon, though.)

And I think a big reason kids loved the G1 cartoon was because of its large cast of colorful characters. Many of them are pretty fun, quirky and lovable. That, and the concept of robots that turn into cars and stuff is just cool, it's as simple as that.

I really like the voice acting and soundtrack a lot, and my Transformers Holy Grail isn't some some Japanese toy or lucky draw, but a high quality version of the complete G1 soundtrack that isn't something somebody ripped from the show and kind of frankenstiened together. While the animation and writing are pretty poo poo, the one thing you gotta give G1 is the show sounds pretty good.

And Furman didn't really create most of those characters or the universe, either - that was all Bob Budiansky, even though his actual Transformers comics are pretty goddamn terrible. Sunbow took Bob Budiansky's basic character profiles and made them into something kids loved.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Transformers comics are like Transformers video games, we like them because the alternative is finding another hobby.

There's really a fantastic piece out there on like 'Postmodern geekdom as simulated ethnicity' that is loving fantastic and explains a lot of the handwaving and pleading for tolerance that nerds try to do.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This essay is interesting Rei (I assume you mean this, though this feels like someone hacked up an essay and added pictures...) but it would be nice if you'd be a little more the nose with what you're alleging. I suppose that's not the tension you're looking for, though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

That essay sounds interesting, I'll need to check it out.

Honestly, I like Transformers because I liked it when I was three, and I just think robots that turn into cars are cool. Because of that, I'm willing to excuse a lot of flaws the fiction usually has (and there's a lot of flaws.) I kind of feel like I'm self-aware enough to know I love something, but also realize it may not really be good but I like it in spite of its warts.

I also really love cheesy Godzilla movies, old Kung Fu movies and MST3K episodes, so I'm just kind of naturally drawn to schlock. For years I've kind of wanted to make a really stupid movie called Dracula vs. Space Dracula for Christsakes, just because I think the title is hilarious.

Nerds often have this really weird, irrational identity that comes along with what they like. For example, you could say that Doctor Who, or someone's favorite video game sucks, and people will often take it as a personal insult. It's really pretty stupid, but it's really widespread. I knew a guy in college who was like this to the extreme, where he didn't like it if you criticized anything. Hell, I used to be like that in High School. If you told me that World of Warcraft was better than Final Fantasy XI, I would have told you to go gently caress yourself, even though it was true.

What does it say about us as a society when we construct our identities around video games, low budget science fiction shows and children's action figures?

...You know... when I put it like that... it's probably best that I don't think too hard about these things.

So yeah robots are loving cool dudes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SpikeMcclane posted:

Furman is sounding more like Chris Claremont in this case.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I thought the Arcee origin spotlight thing was okay, and that Furman is pretty decent and so is Regeneration One. I didn't know Transformers would become a social justice minefield. :shrug:

It was dumb to have Arcee be the 'only' female, though.

And Roberts is better than Furman, no doubt. Just as RiD/MtMtE are the best TF comics we've ever had. I'm not arguing that.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I never put a single one on and just filed the decal sheet away with the instructions. I think he looks fine without them.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like, a lot of the Furman stories are okay for what they are. But they're not fantastic. It's just a typical 80s tie-in comic.

I can't agree with that. Well I can agree that they're not fantastic, but they're anything but typical. Budiansky's run was typical '80s tie-in comic. Furman brought in a religious crusade aspect, the good/evil conflict taken to a cosmic extreme, references to numerous cultural touchstones (Moby Dick, the Maltese Falcon, Alien, etc.), characters who had real grey areas where before they were simply Good Autobots and Bad Decepticons, multiple timelines (where would TF fiction be without that even as early as G2?), and really did push the envelope as far as what was being done in a toy comic. Of all the ongoing tie-in books of the '80s, only Furman and Larry Hama (G.I. Joe) really took what they were given and really ran with it in a storytelling sense. If you include limited series, the four-issue Starriors comic from Marvel was a shockingly dark and surprisingly complex take on a post-apocalyptic Earth left in the care of cybernetic guardians, featuring male and female robots that have real emotions and romantic attachments for one another, which I believe predates the female Autobots in the G1 cartoon. I actually recommend tracking that down if you have the chance.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really like the voice acting and soundtrack a lot, and my Transformers Holy Grail isn't some some Japanese toy or lucky draw, but a high quality version of the complete G1 soundtrack that isn't something somebody ripped from the show and kind of frankenstiened together. While the animation and writing are pretty poo poo, the one thing you gotta give G1 is the show sounds pretty good.

I think this is a top quality point and one that people don't really think about enough. When it comes down to it, the G1 cartoon was almost more of a radio play than anything else. Yes, the animation was there as a guide, but who among us doesn't have a far better-animated G1 cartoon in our heads when we think about it? The music, voice acting and scripts really created the world and characters in our heads, the visuals were just sort of there to show us what stuff looked like. I think this is the source of a lot of "But I remember an episode when..." errors in the early fandom.

Also I would totally buy some kind of 30th anniversary G1 soundtrack album like you describe. I'm mildly surprised it hasn't already happened, but I never really thought about it until you mentioned it there. Robotech got this, why not TFs? Get on that, Hasbro.

Gammatron 64 posted:

And Furman didn't really create most of those characters or the universe, either - that was all Bob Budiansky, even though his actual Transformers comics are pretty goddamn terrible. Sunbow took Bob Budiansky's basic character profiles and made them into something kids loved.

Furman's primary characters are not Budiansky-derived, for the most part. At the very least, what Furman did with the movie characters and more obscure late figures like Nightbeat and Bludgeon were 50% or more his original work, especially if you consider the UK comics. He really was off in his own drat world for most of that run. And his version of the Unicron concept is still the best version in my book. The fight in #75 is up there with some of the best moments in the brand.

GrimGypsy posted:

I thought the Arcee origin spotlight thing was okay, and that Furman is pretty decent and so is Regeneration One. I didn't know Transformers would become a social justice minefield. :shrug:

It was dumb to have Arcee be the 'only' female, though.

That last part is really the core of the problem. As Scott says, Arcee as Furman presents her isn't problematic in and of herself. There's an idea to be explored there, and her reaction to what happened to her is not unreasonable. The issue is that Furman very intentionally set the world up so that Arcee was the only female Transformer, and seemed to do his best to close the door on introducing any others. That leaves the only woman in the book as a psychotic homicidal forced transwoman who hates what she is, and with no other female Cybertronians to balance that out, there are some definite unfortunate implications. Then again, considering Furman's reaction to Scott attempting to change that status quo, maybe they were intended implications after all, which is very disappointing if true.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 31, 2013

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I would say you're forgetting when it comes to good 80's tie-in comics from Marvel, both the excellent ROM: Spaceknight & the hidden gem that is Grant Morrison's Marvel UK Zoids comic, in fact I'm noticing a trend where Marvel's best tie-in stuff often involves robots or giant monsters, see also the 70's classics Godzilla, and Shogun Warriors(besides G.I. Joe that is)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I have an issue of a comic book magazine called "Back Issue" that had a fairly long write up on ROM that I might have to dig out because maybe some of the points from it regarding the adaptation of a toyline to a comic book.

I could have sworn there was something where they said at the time the movie and toy companies used to approach the comics companies with their properties to build up really quick brand awareness and sell more toys and movie tickets because that's how popular comics were in general at the time.

With ROM I think they said they had almost nothing from the toy company in terms of what the story was or how to tell it, so Marvel was able to go wild and do whatever they wanted if it meant drumming up more interest in the toy.

As an amusing little aside, too, I think another benefit of the comics is that while you couldn't advertise GI Joe/Transformers toys during the cartoons, you could advertize the COMICS, which then could advertize the toys.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think the G.I. Joe comics were better than Transformers, because while G.I. Joe has a ton of characters just like Transformers, G.I. Joe kind of had a main cast of regulars, and then a bunch of other guys. Characters like Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Duke, Hawk, and so on stayed in the comic because said characters got multiple action figures. In G1, outside of Action Masters, Optimus, Rodimus, Bumblebee, Jazz, Starscream and Grimlock were the only guys who got multiple toys. As a result, Transformers (or at least the US comic) had no core cast of characters, and people would show up for an issue, and then either get forgotten or killed off. Because he had to introduce so many characters, Bob Budiansky got burnt out quickly.

One thing that kind of helped the UK comics was that they generally followed the cast of the '86 movie and the wreckers, rather than what was necessarily out on the toy shelves at the time.

I think Simon Furman's old Transformers was above average for an 80s toy tie-in, but were just fairly average comics overall. I wouldn't say Transformers was some amazing, groundbreaking comic. The reason why Furman's Transformers and Larry Hama's G.I. Joe stood out is because they actually put some effort into them and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. That's more than most toy comics got.

Regeneration One is really kind of lame and not catching me at all, though. I think this and X-Men Forever are pretty good reasons why you shouldn't try to continue a comic after taking a 20 year break.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
So..... any good New Years sales on transforming robots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

New Thew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbJb1Chk2E0