Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

seravid posted:

Is there anything you can do with 80ml glasses besides espresso? I got these for Christmas:

and while they're pretty great, the only thing I have to make espresso is a Dolce Gusto machine (crema is pretty good; the coffee... not so much). What I do have is a CCD and a french press (and a Kalita Wave gathering dust since I bought the CCD).

I guess I can use them as shot glasses.

I picked up a couple sets from the sale at JC Penny's and I don't have an espresso machine so I use them for ice cream (I'm a "kid's size" type of guy whenever I do go to an ice-cream parlor), fancy shots/mixed shots, and for food prepping/mise en place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Cold brew coffee. If you are über lazy I know Trader Joe's sells some, but haven't tried it yet.

Trader Joe's cold brew is really bad compared to the local stuff I can get in Austin (and not thaaaat much cheaper). Check yr local roasters and shops.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Anyone in this thread want a sweet Hario V60 setup? I just moved to a new apartment and I have way too much coffee stuff and way too little space.

Includes a Buono kettle, a glass V60, and probably 60-70 V60 filters. Does not include an Apple router. $60 shipped for everything!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

gently caress, I want that although my girlfriend would definitely argue that I have way too many different ways to brew coffee already. Mostly I just want a new kettle though.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll bite. I don't have PMs, do you have an email address I can reach you at?

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 29, 2013

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Hauki posted:

gently caress, I want that although my girlfriend would definitely argue that I have way too many different ways to brew coffee already. Mostly I just want a new kettle though.

Edit: gently caress it, I'll bite. I don't have PMs, do you have an email address I can reach you at?

Yep! there's no email address here

grahm fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 30, 2013

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sent if you want to edit that out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

grahm posted:

Anyone in this thread want a sweet Hario V60 setup? I just moved to a new apartment and I have way too much coffee stuff and way too little space.

Includes a Buono kettle, a glass V60, and probably 60-70 V60 filters. Does not include an Apple router. $60 shipped for everything!

That was a pretty good deal. Funny enough I moved into a new place and then bought MORE ways to make coffee, though I'm turning a nook in my kitchen into a beer/coffee bar. Just picked up the kegerator and the kegs.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Any thoughts on the Breville BES900XL? I'm looking to get my wife a nice double boiler espresso machine for her birthday. And would like to get something that will last a decent amount of time, especially at the $1,200 or less price point. I don't want to spend that much money an only have it last a year or two. She currently has a Saeco Aroma Espresso Machine that has started leaking after about a year of use. She averages about 15 shots a week currently that she uses to make lattes. I already got her a good grinder for Christmas so she just needs a new espresso machine.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Has anybody tried Tonx? I signed up for a sample, and I'm curious as to what I'm in for.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Has anybody tried Tonx? I signed up for a sample, and I'm curious as to what I'm in for.

I subscribed for a few months and liked the coffee a lot. I stopped my subscription once I started roasting. You also get really good discounts on equipment as a subscriber.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Casull posted:

What do you guys use to hold your coffee? I just use Ball freezer cups for now because they're relatively airproof but I'm looking for a canister that has a one-way valve. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of getting the Airscape.

Few months old post here--how's your Airscape holding up? I'm pretty close to spending $26 on a coffee container.

e: link http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/airscape-coffee-bean-canister-64-oz

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 30, 2013

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
How does tonx work anyway? Do you have a choice of roast? Seems pretty reasonable for a subscription service otherwise.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mandalay posted:

Few months old post here--how's your Airscape holding up? I'm pretty close to spending $26 on a coffee container.

I've been using the same $5 tin with one way valve from sm's and it works great, fwiw.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Google Butt posted:

I've been using the same $5 tin with one way valve from sm's and it works great, fwiw.

I recently ordered one, glad it works for you. I've been using mason jars and coffee still blooms like crazy for even week old roasts. Not sure if that's just a result of fresh coffee or the air-tight jars. Either way it was 5 bux included with my green coffee order to give it a try.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Google Butt posted:

Yes but even SM says:

We stored coffee in a few different storage containers for a month and opened them up almost every day, simulating how one would open up a container each time they brewed coffee. Month-old coffee will taste pretty flat no matter how well it's stored, but the Airscape did the best job at preserving what was left of the flavor.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Mandalay posted:

Yes but even SM says:

We stored coffee in a few different storage containers for a month and opened them up almost every day, simulating how one would open up a container each time they brewed coffee. Month-old coffee will taste pretty flat no matter how well it's stored, but the Airscape did the best job at preserving what was left of the flavor.

Oh, I'm sure it's better. I've just been amazed by how well this $5 tin works. I've been using the same one for months now. I only roast what I can drink in 7 days, so I suppose if you need more capacity and plan to keep the same beans for much longer it's worth spending the extra cash.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mandalay posted:

Yes but even SM says:

I was just placing an order at SM's today and read that about the Airscape as well and almost plunked down 26 bucks on one instead of the 5 dollar tin posted above. Then I realized, I roast my own coffee once to twice a week so I'll never need to store it for more than a few days.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Who Dat posted:

How does tonx work anyway? Do you have a choice of roast? Seems pretty reasonable for a subscription service otherwise.

I used it for a couple months before home roasting as well. It's a wonderful service and the discounts on equipment are really good. The coffee they send changes each time. I don't think I ever got the same coffee twice. It was all amazingly fresh and tasty. They're packaging and little cards that come with it are really well written and fun. If you don't roast your own coffee or have access to a good roaster then I would highly recommend it. I'd even use it for a little while if you want to start getting into coffee and want an aeropress or a v60 for cheap.

They have different subscription plans: half sack(6oz), standard(12oz), and double(24oz). Ships every other week.

le capitan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 30, 2013

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

le capitan posted:

I used it for a couple months before home roasting as well. It's a wonderful service and the discounts on equipment are really good. The coffee they send changes each time. I don't think I ever got the same coffee twice. It was all amazingly fresh and tasty. They're packaging and little cards that come with it are really well written and fun. If you don't roast your own coffee or have access to a good roaster then I would highly recommend it. I'd even use it for a little while if you want to start getting into coffee and want an aeropress or a v60 for cheap.

They have different subscription plans: half sack(6oz), standard(12oz), and double(24oz). Ships every other week.

I probably won't ever home roast, so it seems viable. I have a local roaster that is pretty drat good, but their pick up times are not very compatible with my work hours, and they charge 9 bucks even for local shipping so I'm looking at ~22 bucks after tax for 1lb of beans, more depending on the roast. In the end if I don't manage to waste any of a 12 oz bag it'll be a wash because I can almost never finish 16oz in 2 weeks.

Also, out of curiosity, for the people talking about containers, what is SM stand for?

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Who Dat posted:

Also, out of curiosity, for the people talking about containers, what is SM stand for?

I believe it's Sweet Maria's

Also on the topic of containers, how important is an airtight seal? I impulse bought a cheap mason jar for roasted coffee at Marshalls, but unfortunately it still leaked a small amount of liquid when I tested it with water.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Timid posted:

Also on the topic of containers, how important is an airtight seal? I impulse bought a cheap mason jar for roasted coffee at Marshalls, but unfortunately it still leaked a small amount of liquid when I tested it with water.

Yeah, Sweet Maria's.

Depends on how long you plan on storing the beans, I think. The Sweet Maria's tin has nice seal.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I got my wife a sub to Craft Coffee, which is pretty much the same price as Tonx, but you get 3 4oz curated samples each month from different (well known) roasters.

Their customer service is top notch, as well.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Just got a Bona Vita temperature-control gooseneck kettle. Already love it because it's so quiet and fast! I'm a big tea drinker and much prefer the look of the gooseneck, but since I've got it I figured I would try out the pourover method :) On weekend afternoons I really don't want to dirty/clean the french press so I'm looking forward to it.

I'd also like to bring to your attention the Canadiano. It's a block of wood with a filter in it. You can get different kinds of wood. It's quasi-self promotion because the guys who came up with it and made it are all friends of mine... but I thought you guys might like to know about it. Haven't picked one up myself, but to be honest I'm worried about the flavours the wood will impart. Not to mention any oils that stick into the wood and, well, go rancid.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Timid posted:

Depends on how picky you are. The optimal setup is something that lets gasses escape (specifically, CO2), but doesn't let air in. You really, really want the CO2 to escape if you roast your own beans (that's what those valves are on coffee packages). As far as I know there's only one company that makes a tin like that, and it's the Friis Coffee Vault

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

For the entirety of my thirty-two years, I have hated coffee. Couldn't stand it. My wife loves coffee though, so this year for Christmas, I decided to get her some swag. I started researching in November and eventually decided to get her a Baratza Virtuoso, a Bonavita temperature-control electric kettle, a V60, a Clever Coffee Dripper, an AeroPress, and a Chemex. (We already had a food scale, but it only goes to the nearest gram, so I am going to order a better one.) In all of my research, I read dozens of times that most folks that "hate coffee" actually just hate lovely coffee. I decided that I'd give it another try, this time with better ingredients, equipment, and know-how. I was shocked when the first coffee I made with the AeroPress was actually - gulp - enjoyable. What the gently caress? I thought I hated coffee?

After a few days of drinking AeroPress coffee, this morning I decided to try the V60, fully expecting my first few thousand cups to suck. Imagine my surprise when, to my palate anyway, they tasted better than my AeroPress efforts. I really enjoyed my V60 coffee this morning, so much so that I had four cups of it. (Coffee hater my rear end.)

"Great," you say, "but why are you loving up the thread?" Well, as a new coffee drinker, I have a few questions, and I wanted my back-story and equipment list to help inform your answers.

- How bad are Starbucks beans, really? Full disclosure - I have a family member that manages a Starbucks, so I can get them for free due to their weekly mark-out. I'm not averse to spending money on this (see above), and I just placed an order with Intelligentsia, so I know there are better beans out there. Still, are they really that bad? (Not looking for a tear-down of Starbucks in general, they treat my family member right so let's keep the scope to the beans and away from the "gently caress Starbucks they kill small shops", please.)

- After brewing in the V60-02 this morning, I noticed that the bed of grounds was very much not-flat (uniform). I attribute this to pour velocity. Is this really a big deal? For my third go-round, I brewed a double batch, and the grounds were in much better shape afterward. I suspect this is because I can get closer to the top of the bed, since it's closer to the top of the brewer. This makes me think that, for single cups, a V60-01 is the way to go. Thoughts? Am I on track here?

- I'm worried about bean storage. I ordered 36 ounces of beans from Intelligentsia and I want to have appropriate storage for them once they arrive. Earlier in the thread (this page I think), the Friis Coffee Vault was linked. If I snag a couple of these, am I in good shape? In the meantime, with my bag of Starbucks beans, can I just dump them in a mason jar and store it with the beer I'm aging in my basement? (Cool, dark, dry.)

- What advice would you give to someone just beginning their coffee journey? Did I miss anything particularly important? Other than trying out/perfecting all of the methods I listed (and the french presses that she already has), what am I missing?

I will cop to not reading all 117 pages of this thread - just the first few, and the last few - so hopefully this isn't too terribly redundant of a post.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Wait till you try the ccd, I bet it becomes your favorite. You really need the filtropa filters to make it shine, though. You can search my post history in this thread if you're looking for a brewing procedure.

Yes Starbucks beans are that bad, but that's the answer you're going to get from any home roasters. I suggest you search the thread for "heat gun dog bowl". Properly home roasted, fresh beans open up another door of amazing, cheap coffee. You can get a 4lb sampler of super high quality beans from Sweet Maria's for $30. The heat gun/dog bowl roasting method is unbelievably easy, by the way.

My biggest advice for new coffee fiends is to only buy/roast what you know you can consume in a week. Any longer and you risk your beans going stale.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 31, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CCD is ugly. Stick with the V60 and the Chemex. I love using those and guests love seeing you make coffee just for them in the Chemex. :colbert:

There are tons of variations and advice out there for doing the V60 but it's better to just experiment on your own. In general try not to overflow it and you'll be good.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 31, 2013

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

It may be ugly, but drat is it easy to get an awesome cup every time with little effort. It's my favorite method for my daily cup.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Wait till you try the ccd, I bet it becomes your favorite. You really need the filtropa filters to make it shine, though. You can search my post history in this thread if you're looking for a brewing procedure.

Yes Starbucks beans are that bad, but that's the answer you're going to get from any home roasters. I suggest you search the thread for "heat gun dog bowl". Properly home roasted, fresh beans open up another door of amazing, cheap coffee. You can get a 4lb sampler of super high quality beans from Sweet Maria's for $30. The heat gun/dog bowl roasting method is unbelievably easy, by the way.

My biggest advice for new coffee fiends is to only buy/roast what you know you can consume in a week. Any longer and you risk your beans going stale.

I have some Melitta filters I picked up at BB&B for like $3, those will certainly be the first I try with the CCD, but I had seen your prior recommendation for Filtropa and it is on my short list. Same with the "hgdb", I first saw it mentioned a few pages back and have been reading up a bit. I have a somewhat-covered porch off my kitchen so I think I have a good spot to roast too. I am not at all averse to trying this.

I have also read about the "one week at a time" rule. I guess I should mention that my wife and I just had our first baby three weeks ago so right now our need for coffee is pretty high. (What the hell is sleep?) I am still learning how much I'll be drinking but between the two of us we are nearly through the one-pound bag that I got to start, and I just opened it on Friday. Does a pound a week sound insane for two people? I guess it's not because I really don't feel like I've been drinking that much, and she hasn't either.

One other question I had but forgot to ask: I have an 80-mile round-trip commute, and I'd like to take coffee to work with me and keep it hot. Thermos recommendations? Some googling this morning turned me on to "Thermos Nissan". Is this the way to go, or should I look at something else? I would like it to stay hot for a 40-mile one-way commute (the better part of an hour), and then probably for 2-3 hours afterward, ideally. Let's say I'd like to transport something in the neighborhood of 20 ounces.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

becoming posted:

I have some Melitta filters I picked up at BB&B for like $3, those will certainly be the first I try with the CCD, but I had seen your prior recommendation for Filtropa and it is on my short list. Same with the "hgdb", I first saw it mentioned a few pages back and have been reading up a bit. I have a somewhat-covered porch off my kitchen so I think I have a good spot to roast too. I am not at all averse to trying this.

I have also read about the "one week at a time" rule. I guess I should mention that my wife and I just had our first baby three weeks ago so right now our need for coffee is pretty high. (What the hell is sleep?) I am still learning how much I'll be drinking but between the two of us we are nearly through the one-pound bag that I got to start, and I just opened it on Friday. Does a pound a week sound insane for two people? I guess it's not because I really don't feel like I've been drinking that much, and she hasn't either.

One other question I had but forgot to ask: I have an 80-mile round-trip commute, and I'd like to take coffee to work with me and keep it hot. Thermos recommendations? Some googling this morning turned me on to "Thermos Nissan". Is this the way to go, or should I look at something else? I would like it to stay hot for a 40-mile one-way commute (the better part of an hour), and then probably for 2-3 hours afterward, ideally. Let's say I'd like to transport something in the neighborhood of 20 ounces.

I have the Nissan thermos mug and it works loving perfectly. Keeps it hot for quite some time. I've come back to coffee a few hours later and it was still totally drinkable and warm.

Prior to this, I had a contigo travel mug, which kept things incredibly warm. However, this was when I did not know about coffee and put creamer in it. Let's just say those lids are hard to clean and I saw things that do not belong near my mouth :barf:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

becoming posted:

- How bad are Starbucks beans, really? Full disclosure - I have a family member that manages a Starbucks, so I can get them for free due to their weekly mark-out. I'm not averse to spending money on this (see above), and I just placed an order with Intelligentsia, so I know there are better beans out there. Still, are they really that bad? (Not looking for a tear-down of Starbucks in general, they treat my family member right so let's keep the scope to the beans and away from the "gently caress Starbucks they kill small shops", please.)

I have relatively dull taste buds, I roll my eyes whenever people drink wine or coffee and talk about notes of flavors which I'm certain has to be bullshit. It has to! :argh:

But even with my palate, after making my own coffee for a few months and drinking it black, I tried drinking a starbucks plain black coffee and it tasted like burnt charcoal.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

becoming posted:

The Melitta's will give your coffee that paper taste, the Filtropa's won't give you any of that at all.

One pound a week sounds totally reasonable for 2 people. I roast 226g (ends up being 194ish after roasting) a week for myself, I drink 1 cup a day using 20g of beans. When you figure out your preferred ratio and brewing method, it will be easy to calculate how much coffee you need each week.

I've heard that the vacuum insulated Kleen Kanteens are nice.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
My contigo vacuum travel mug keeps coffee hot for several hours. I actually don't use it if I'm planning on drinking the coffee ASAP because there is no way to speed up the cooling process aside from taking the lid off.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I brewed a cup in the CCD according to these directions. It turned out good, but not great. I preferred my V60 brews this morning, but I could have gotten lucky this morning and unlucky this evening. I'll make another cup after dinner and see how it comes out. Google Butt, those were the instructions you were referring to, right?

Edit - second batch came out pretty excellent, so it's very possible I boned something up first time around. It's also very possible that my beans are starting to go. The second batch was a freshly opened bag of (sorry, guys) Starbucks Sumatra. (Hey, poo poo is free, okay? And it gives me something to practice my technique with.) My wife drinks Sumatra brewed at Starbucks pretty regularly and she said that mine from the CCD was better. I'll take it!

becoming fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 1, 2014

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
If anyone has any interest in a Mypressi twist v2 with baskets and what not, holler at me thru PM.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

My contigo vacuum travel mug keeps coffee hot for several hours. I actually don't use it if I'm planning on drinking the coffee ASAP because there is no way to speed up the cooling process aside from taking the lid off.

I have an old version of one of these that is pretty awesome but also insulates too well to be able to drink coffee directly from it. It keeps coffee hot until after lunch if necessary.

I actually prefer to drink out of a normal mug if at all possible, but if I need to take coffee with me without having to bring along a mug then I use a no-name stainless steel travel mug that I picked up somewhere. It keeps coffee hot for a hour or two that it takes to drink it.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 1, 2014

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I've been using a Rancilio Silva v3 with a PID mod for the last 2.5 years. I feel like I've gotten all I can get out of this machine and am considering upgrading. However, is it worth it to buy say a Rocket Cellini or is the improvement on the coffee only going to be marginal relative to the high cost of $1000+ machine?

G-III fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 1, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
get a Rocket Cellini....it will pay for itself within a few years and even if it doesn't .....

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Looks good! If you want to keep it as pretty as possible inside and out, be careful about what you stick on the cup warmer. Keep in mind that most cups and saucers have unglazed bottom rims that will scratch up the finish, so it's best to store them upside down. Also, if you leave cleaning cloths on top to dry, they tend to shed coffee grounds all over the internals through the vent holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just use napkins to keep the cups from rattling all over the place. If anyone thinks either the Vario or a "real" espresso machine are quiet and not rattleprone they are not! I was amazed how loud the pump is on the Rocket and it's the same pump in every other >$1k machine pretty much. Also the plastic top part of the vario relaxes and starts rattling within a year. still worth it though