Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Avynte posted:

Any pose they put her in will be argued as sexual objectification.

Dat leather outfit.

Yeah seriously, there is pretty much not a chance of not making a sexy pose in that outfit. If you're gonna argue about how she's objectified, talk about her outfit before the rear end shot.

... Well then again, talk about the rear end shot, because I'm pretty sure "women wear skintight suits in cape comics and that objectifies ladies" has been a pretty known fact for some time now and there's not much else to be said on the "that's bad but no one's really changing anything, huh" front.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's not about the costume though. It's about a stupid pose that seems to only serve to place breasts and rear end in the frame.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

breasts and rear end in the frame.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I don't think the costume is that bad by the Standards of such things. Such things being what women wear in movies, and certainly what women wear in comics.

It's pretty tight but doesn't appear quite as painted-on, she's-looks-like-she's-gonna-burst-right-outta-there as previously. Depending on the Cleavage level (which we can't tell from that shot) anyways. (Although I'm not even sure that is a different suit. I'm just peering back and forth between screencaps here)

If the pose there - and, one would predict, the photography/cinematography in the movie - weren't so male-gazy, I don't know that it would be worth much comment.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 29, 2013

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
In addition to being sexist, it's also totally the Rob Liefeld Captain America pose.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Can we talk about her hair? I like her hair.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Die Laughing posted:

Can we talk about her hair? I like her hair.

I hate it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, I think it's more laziness than maliciousness. It's a cliche and boring shot for a woman to be in. I don't think anyone was wringing their hands and saying, "Black Widow's rear end will make us a million dollars!" It's just thoughtless sexism, going forward with what they know.

It's crazy to say she's mirroring Bucky though. Imagine if she wasn't turning her head and was just holding her arm at her side.

Basically this. It's sexism, but it's thoughtless casual sexism. Not that that makes it any less problematic, but never attribute to malice, etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The funny thing is that Widow was not really sexualized at all in Avengers; Her outfit was more a jumpsuit than a catsuit. I won't say IM2 because there was no need to show her changing in the car.

Which is why I hope Elizabeth Olsen's Scarlett Witch costume is base more on her NOW outfit than the classic pink skin tight body suit with a skin tight one piece over it. NOW has her in a red trenchcoat like thing, in sort of a femme fatal look. THough cleavage factor can be extreme based on the artist.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm fairly certain that Wanda will be in something like a long red trench coat. The only question with her is if they're gonna have her wear that headdress thing. I'm more curious how they'll translate Quicksilver's costume to the screen.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Maybe their outfits will be closer to the Ultimates version that are pretty much track suits

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dacap posted:

Maybe their outfits will be closer to the Ultimates version that are pretty much track suits

Yeah i'd say this too. I'd be very surprised if they didn't go the same route as Hawkeye and just give them Ultimate suits.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I wonder what Quicksilver's hair will look like

frankly I can't see Taylor-Johnson pulling off most of Pietro's 'dos.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah i'd say this too. I'd be very surprised if they didn't go the same route as Hawkeye and just give them Ultimate suits.

I dunno, I can't see them not using the lightning bolt design for Quicksilver. Marketing!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dacap posted:

Yea, but that suggests they are banging, which...ewwww. And the headdress/tiara thing is like the iconic Scarlett Witch item. It probably won't be so huge, more of a headband probably.

Pietero's outfit will probably be similar to his comics one, as he does need something that he can move quickly in, so something that looks like an Olympic speed skater outfit no doubt. As for hair, its really Kirby as gently caress, but I can see the grey hair with the little wings working on screen, again just a little smaller.

I'm pretty sure that sometime next year we'll see an Empire with them on the cover for an exclusive look and everyone will hate it. Something I am curious is how Tony will be portrayed in the film. IM3 suggested he would give it up, but I cannot see him giving up being a superhero, its perfect for his ego, even his reduced at the end of the movie. Might be a getting the band back together thing where Tony realizes that he's needed and comes back. Or they could just have Rhodie be Iron Man. Also, Coulson, will he ever come back to the movies? There hasn't been any hints, but SHIELD hasn't been a thing in IM3 or Thor 2.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Codependent Poster posted:

I dunno, I can't see them not using the lightning bolt design for Quicksilver. Marketing!

Depends what Days of Future Past Quicksilver looks like. They may want to differentiate.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

Something I am curious is how Tony will be portrayed in the film. IM3 suggested he would give it up, but I cannot see him giving up being a superhero, its perfect for his ego, even his reduced at the end of the movie. Might be a getting the band back together thing where Tony realizes that he's needed and comes back. Or they could just have Rhodie be Iron Man. Also, Coulson, will he ever come back to the movies? There hasn't been any hints, but SHIELD hasn't been a thing in IM3 or Thor 2.

Ultron is about 99% guaranteed to be rogue Stark-tech so that's what'll get him involved

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Depends what Days of Future Past Quicksilver looks like.

I'd say the odds are good that he's going to wear a lot of black. The odds are similarly good that it will be black leather or something that looks like black leather.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

twistedmentat posted:

Something I am curious is how Tony will be portrayed in the film. IM3 suggested he would give it up, but I cannot see him giving up being a superhero, its perfect for his ego, even his reduced at the end of the movie. Might be a getting the band back together thing where Tony realizes that he's needed and comes back.

I never got a retirement or "I'm out of the game" vibe from Iron Man 3. He blew up the armor's he'd compulsively made to cope with New York and had the shrapnel removed which was a link to guilt driving his heroism giving himself a clean slate where he can be a hero that's not driven by a mix guilt and ego.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

I never got a retirement or "I'm out of the game" vibe from Iron Man 3. He blew up the armor's he'd compulsively made to cope with New York and had the shrapnel removed which was a link to guilt driving his heroism giving himself a clean slate where he can be a hero that's not driven by a mix guilt and ego.

At the end he still says I am Iron Man not I am Tony Stark. He will still be a superhero but on his terms not out of guilt.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SirDan3k posted:

You'd think the number of times I've watched IM3 I'd have remembered that? Not to mention he picks up his robots and some other stuff from his home in Malibu, probably just relocating it Stark Tower in NYC.

I guess Clean Slate to me is just completely starting over so you can go in a different direction.

I wonder when we'll see a real teaser for Days of Future Past, effects and everything. Its may release isn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

At the end he still says I am Iron Man not I am Tony Stark. He will still be a superhero but on his terms not out of guilt.

I could see him having been trying to sit out for a bit, until Ultron appears, if only to set up a "Comback Tour" protocol gag.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe Iron Man 3 is preparing Tony for a whole movie of him not using his armors much, because Ultron will control them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The movies haven't dealt with Tony's alcoholism, nor will they I think, but Iron Man 3 is remarkably similar in tone and ending to the comics circa issue #200 where Tony Stark had just come back from his drinking and was grappling with getting back into the suit. He knew that he had been too reliant on the armour and that the dependency went hand-in-hand with his alcoholism. By the time issue #200 rolls around he has learned that he can and should be Iron Man again but this time without all the hang-ups about it because the armour didn't make the man. For a double whammy, Rhodes goes through a similar revelation simultaneously, learning that he wants to be an Iron Man but not the Iron Man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing as they've confirmed Rhodey having a role in Avengers 2 they might actually make good on the "Iron Man yes, Tony Stark no" scene from Iron Man 2. Where Rhodey will do the running around fighting while Tony stays in Stark Tower in more of a C&C/advisory position. (Until, of course, the end of the movie where he suits up to take Ultron down.)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

man Rhodey is so dead

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Iron Man 3 is a better statement on superheroism than The Dark Knight Rises, Tony throwing away all that bullshit of guilt and ego, like as a actual character the Tony at the end of Iron Man 3 is not the Tony at the end of the first Iron Man.

I super enjoy the Iron Man series a ton, the only sore spot for me is Iron Man 2 but 1 3 and to a degree the development in Avengers was just kickass.

I just really super love Iron Man 3.

They're a better trilogy on being a hero than the Dark Knight films are.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I like it very much that the closing statement of Iron Man 3 was "Tony Stark will return", not "Iron Man will return".

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
More pictures from The Winter Soldier:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SaintFu posted:

drat! Winter Soldier with the shield looks fantastic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mutant Hustle

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bryan Singer really is the most generic looking white dude that ever existed. He could commit any crime in the world and never get caught because he has no distinguishing features.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SaintFu posted:

I do like the thought of Bucky getting up in the morning and going "What'll I wear today, terrible mask or eye shadow?" but never both at the same time.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Bryan Singer really is the most generic looking white dude that ever existed. He could commit any crime in the world and never get caught because he has no distinguishing features.
The squintiest eyes of all.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Iron Man 3 is a better statement on superheroism than The Dark Knight Rises, Tony throwing away all that bullshit of guilt and ego, like as a actual character the Tony at the end of Iron Man 3 is not the Tony at the end of the first Iron Man.

I super enjoy the Iron Man series a ton, the only sore spot for me is Iron Man 2 but 1 3 and to a degree the development in Avengers was just kickass.

I just really super love Iron Man 3.

They're a better trilogy on being a hero than the Dark Knight films are.

I think the best statement/commentary on heroism/superheroism from a superhero related movie is still Hancock. The Dark Knight Trilogy has a different viewpoint that's darker and down on it. But yeah, Iron Man 3 really did a great job. Thank God for Shane Black.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

The squintiest eyes of all.

They'd accidentally arrest French Stewart.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The MSJ posted:

Mutant Hustle

Cool, they travel through time and ride around with Walter Sobchak? I might go see this after all.

It also leaves me wanting Bendis to bring sleazy young awesome-hair Xavier to the present day as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

He also looks like he hasn't aged since he was 25.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is on the cards, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

As if we needed to stuff more in there I hope EVERYONE comes back and we throw in EVERYONE from the FF as well. Just a movie screen's worth of people stuck in a room trying to move and maneuver around each other like in an elevator. Someone passes gas too.

• Locked thread