Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

kiwid posted:

Ah yes it is, but why?

Here is the profile:

My DNS is still being changed.

Is there a setting for this in your vpn software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if Mikrotik routers can be made into firewalls that are just straight pass through devices without changing the IP addresses of the things behind it?

This is a request coming in from a client who may be asking for something that is impossible to do, but I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't that called not using NAT?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

thebigcow posted:

Is there a setting for this in your vpn software?

No there isn't. It's just Windows 8 built in client but I haven't specified my DNS in the settings.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Caged posted:

Isn't that called not using NAT?

Yeah but they want it to be a firewall as well, and I was curious if Mikrotiks could do both (non-NAT + controllable firewall)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

jeeves posted:

Yeah but they want it to be a firewall as well, and I was curious if Mikrotiks could do both (non-NAT + controllable firewall)

Absolutely. NAT and filtering are independent features that work together, but there's no requirement to NAT if you just want to filter.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most vendors call that 'transparent' mode, as opposed to routed or NAT mode.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

BurgerQuest posted:

Most vendors call that 'transparent' mode, as opposed to routed or NAT mode.

To elaborate a bit: it depends on whether you're talking about layer 2 or 3.

"Transparent" typically refers to a layer 2 firewall application, where the interfaces on which filtering is done are bridged together and don't have an IP address assigned. Devices on either side of the firewall don't "see" the firewall, in much the same way that a switch is "transparent" to devices connected to it. Mikrotiks can do this, though support is limited for protocols other than IPv4.

Layer 3 or "routed" mode is how firewalls are typically deployed, where IP addresses are assigned to each interface and packets are selectively routed based on the filtering rules configured. In contrast to "transparent" mode, devices on either side of the firewall "see" it as an IP router.

NAT is a feature typically associated with layer 3 (IP NAT) but the Mikrotik can also do address translation at layer 2 (MAC NAT). It's not particularly useful for wired networks, but can be useful in certain wireless networks due to the way 802.11 associates a single MAC address with a single radio in non-WDS mode.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 11, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Hey everyone, was told to post over here for some assistance.

I have the RB450G and I am trying to create a VLAN (2) and "pass" it to my Dell Powerconnect 2724 switch via port 1.

My current configuration is as follows :

[admin@MikroTik] /interface> print
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, R - running, S - slave
# NAME TYPE
0 R ether1-gateway ether
1 R ether2-master-local ether
2 R ether3-slave-local ether
3 R ether4-slave-local ether
4 R ether5-slave-local ether
5 R vlan2 vlan

/interface vlan
print
# NAME MTU ARP VLAN-ID INTERFACE
0 R vlan2 1500 enabled 2 ether4-slave-local

/ip address
print

Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic
# ADDRESS NETWORK INTERFACE
0 ;;; default configuration
192.168.1.1/24 192.168.1.0 ether2-master-local
1 192.168.2.1/24 192.168.2.0 vlan2
2 D xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/21 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ether1-gateway

Once the address is added I can ping the gateway (192.168.2.1) from terminal in the mikrotik.

On the switch I have port 1 set to tag vlan2 and then untag on ports 17 and 18 (the ports are connected to NICs in my ESXi boxes with no VLAN set in the vswitch).

I cannot ping the gateway from the VM I have setup. I am rather new to Mikrotik so have pity on me! :)

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
How easy are these things to set up these days? I'm helping a (very) small business get their office network up, and we need a wired router to go along with the uniFi unit. Can someone like me with minimal networking experience get one set up to just work as a boring, no-frills router? If not, any other suggestions (the wired router market for small businesses is not huge at this point).

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hey everyone, was told to post over here for some assistance.

I have the RB450G and I am trying to create a VLAN (2) and "pass" it to my Dell Powerconnect 2724 switch via port 1.

My current configuration is as follows :

[admin@MikroTik] /interface> print
Flags: D - dynamic, X - disabled, R - running, S - slave
# NAME TYPE
0 R ether1-gateway ether
1 R ether2-master-local ether
2 R ether3-slave-local ether
3 R ether4-slave-local ether
4 R ether5-slave-local ether
5 R vlan2 vlan

/interface vlan
print
# NAME MTU ARP VLAN-ID INTERFACE
0 R vlan2 1500 enabled 2 ether4-slave-local

/ip address
print

Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic
# ADDRESS NETWORK INTERFACE
0 ;;; default configuration
192.168.1.1/24 192.168.1.0 ether2-master-local
1 192.168.2.1/24 192.168.2.0 vlan2
2 D xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/21 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ether1-gateway

Once the address is added I can ping the gateway (192.168.2.1) from terminal in the mikrotik.

On the switch I have port 1 set to tag vlan2 and then untag on ports 17 and 18 (the ports are connected to NICs in my ESXi boxes with no VLAN set in the vswitch).

I cannot ping the gateway from the VM I have setup. I am rather new to Mikrotik so have pity on me! :)

Is your switch a layer 2 or 3 switch? If layer 2, does it have an IP address on your management vlan? If layer 3, do you have your default route setup?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kiwid posted:

Is your switch a layer 2 or 3 switch? If layer 2, does it have an IP address on your management vlan? If layer 3, do you have your default route setup?

It is a layer 2 switch, it's IP is on the management vlan (192.168.1.0 and its IP is 192.168.1.5)

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mmm11105 posted:

How easy are these things to set up these days? I'm helping a (very) small business get their office network up, and we need a wired router to go along with the uniFi unit. Can someone like me with minimal networking experience get one set up to just work as a boring, no-frills router? If not, any other suggestions (the wired router market for small businesses is not huge at this point).

You don't have to use the command line interface if you don't want. It has a full web GUI and Windows GUI. It's not overly complicated but it's also not as easy as setting up a SOHO router.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It is a layer 2 switch, it's IP is on the management vlan (192.168.1.0 and its IP is 192.168.1.5)

So port 1 on the switch is plugged into port 4 on the RB450G, correct?

What IP address are you setting in your VMs and what gateway IP?

Your setup sounds fine. I checked my config and the only thing I have different is that I have a DHCP server on my vlan interface.

edit: Have you tried turning off the master port for interface ether 4?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 21, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kiwid posted:

So port 1 on the switch is plugged into port 4 on the RB450G, correct?

What IP address are you setting in your VMs and what gateway IP?

Your setup sounds fine. I checked my config and the only thing I have different is that I have a DHCP server on my vlan interface.

Correct, Port 1 on switch goes to port 4 on the RB450G.

I am running Ubuntu from the ISO (just to test) and have assigned it 192.168.2.5 with a gateway of 192.168.2.1

Im really starting to think this switch is screwy. I had a 16 port model as well and it was odd.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Correct, Port 1 on switch goes to port 4 on the RB450G.

I am running Ubuntu from the ISO (just to test) and have assigned it 192.168.2.5 with a gateway of 192.168.2.1

Im really starting to think this switch is screwy. I had a 16 port model as well and it was odd.

And just to be sure, you're untagging vlan2 on ports 17 and 18, right? Not the management vlan?

Also, can you rule out the mikrotik by plugging in two machines to each port on the switch and see if they can ping each other?

edit: does your switch have any diag tools that you can ping 192.168.2.1 from the switch?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 21, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kiwid posted:

And just to be sure, you're untagging vlan2 on ports 17 and 18, right? Not the management vlan?

Also, can you rule out the mikrotik by plugging in two machines to each port on the switch and see if they can ping each other?

edit: does your switch have any diag tools that you can ping 192.168.2.1 from the switch?

Correct untagging vlan2 on ports 17 and 18.

The Dell switch can ping other machines, not sure if that's what you were asking or not. The mikrotik has all of its ports connected to other devices right now and those are working. Is that what you were asking? Sorry, my brain is starting to shut down this evening.

Edit : I connected one of the ESXi servers (second NIC that I am trying to use on VLAN2) and changed the VLAN port on the vSwitch to None and then 2 just to test. Setting it to 2 and I still can't ping 192.168.2.1, setting it to none and then assigning a 192.168.1.225 IP (management vlan) and I can ping 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 21, 2013

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Correct untagging vlan2 on ports 17 and 18.

The Dell switch can ping other machines, not sure if that's what you were asking or not. The mikrotik has all of its ports connected to other devices right now and those are working. Is that what you were asking? Sorry, my brain is starting to shut down this evening.

Edit : I connected one of the ESXi servers (second NIC that I am trying to use on VLAN2) and changed the VLAN port on the vSwitch to None and then 2 just to test. Setting it to 2 and I still can't ping 192.168.2.1, setting it to none and then assigning a 192.168.1.225 IP (management vlan) and I can ping 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1.

What happens if you set port 17 and 18 to tag vlan 2 and untag the management vlan, then in ESXi set the VM Network a vlan id of 2?

edit: also on the switch, if the above doesn't work, did you try setting the port type for 17 and 18 to an access port instead of trunk and untagging vlan 2?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 21, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kiwid posted:

What happens if you set port 17 and 18 to tag vlan 2 and untag the management vlan, then in ESXi set the VM Network a vlan id of 2?

So it seems on the switch that you cant untag the management vlan when you have assigned he port to another VLAN, it just leaves the port assignment blank. I have tried tagging vlan 2 on ports 17 and 18 and trying both setting the vSwitch to VLAN 0 (none) or VLAN 2 .. sadly neither work.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So it seems on the switch that you cant untag the management vlan when you have assigned he port to another VLAN, it just leaves the port assignment blank. I have tried tagging vlan 2 on ports 17 and 18 and trying both setting the vSwitch to VLAN 0 (none) or VLAN 2 .. sadly neither work.

Hmm, I'm not sure, it sounds like your switch config. If I was you I'd uncomplicate the testing by getting esxi out of the question and hooking up just a physical device and go from there.

Can you do an /interface ethernet print

kiwid fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 21, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kiwid posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure, it sounds like your switch config. If I was you I'd uncomplicate the testing by getting esxi out of the question and hooking up just a physical device and go from there.

Yeah, I am thinking it is as well. Honestly I really dislike these because they offer zero configuration options other than the web UI and its an old old old web UI that doesn't like anything other than IE6. I will boot up another machine on it an play around.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah, I am thinking it is as well. Honestly I really dislike these because they offer zero configuration options other than the web UI and its an old old old web UI that doesn't like anything other than IE6. I will boot up another machine on it an play around.

Does the web gui look like this?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kiwid posted:

Does the web gui look like this?

Looks similar to that. My navigation links are not nested, but the rest of the UI is the same.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Looks similar to that. My navigation links are not nested, but the rest of the UI is the same.

The only other thing I owuld try is to set ports 17 and 18 as access ports under the vlan port settings:

and make sure vlan 2 is untagged on those two ports. Keep port one as a trunk port with the management vlan untagged, vlan 2 tagged.

Otherwise I give up.

Oh, can you print /interface ethernet print and make sure ports ether 3,4 and 5 have ether 2 as the master port. Other than that, I'm lost.

Keep in mind, if you set the port as an access port, you can't set the vlan id in esxi.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kiwid posted:

The only other thing I owuld try is to set ports 17 and 18 as access ports under the vlan port settings:

and make sure vlan 2 is untagged on those two ports. Keep port one as a trunk port with the management vlan untagged, vlan 2 tagged.

Otherwise I give up.

Oh, can you print /interface ethernet print and make sure ports ether 3,4 and 5 have ether 2 as the master port. Other than that, I'm lost.

Keep in mind, if you set the port as an access port, you can't set the vlan id in esxi.

Sadly mine doesn't have the option for access mode, it's rather simple. I believe I probably need to part ways with this switch and pick up a less irritating one. On the topic of eithernet ports, they are set to ether 2 as the master port. I greatly appreciate your help with everything! :)

Edit : Interestingly I changed the assignment of ether4's master port to none and on the VM (ESXi host is now directly connected to the 450G) I can now ping the 192.168.2.1 gateway. And testing further I can ping 192.168.1.1 and ping google.com as well. Going to connect it to the switch now.

This seems to be due to the fact that I had the switch port 1 connected to ether 5. Still need to do further testing.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 21, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Just figured it out after reading and re-reading the switching details on the RB450G. So, here is whats up:

I am running the default configuration for the RB450G, which has ether port 1 as a WAN port, with Ether port 2 as the switch and then ports 3-5 slaved to it. Because of this, essentially, ports that are slaved basically don't do anything, it is all done via ether port 2. So assigning VLANs to ports 3-5 won't work because they are slaved. Assigning the VLANs to ether port 2 allows everything to function properly.

Here are the details from Mikrotik :

Port Switching
Switching feature allows wire speed traffic passing among a group of ports, like the ports were a regular ethernet switch. You configure this feature by setting a "master-port" property to one ore more ports in /interface ethernet menu. A 'master' port will be the port through which the RouterOS will communicate to all ports in the group. Interfaces for which the 'master' port is specified become inactive - no traffic is received on them and no traffic can be sent out.

Edit : Just tested with the Dell switch in place and everything is working.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 22, 2013

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Interesting. Glad you solved it.

I've been using a bridge rather than the hardware switching so that'd be why mine was working and yours isn't.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mmm11105 posted:

<points up above to the VLAN conversation> SEE? Look at how easy these things are to setup!

Hahaha, actually in the 5.x and 6.x firmware they have a new Quick Setup feature that makes them dirt simple to setup, even for non-technical folks. Out of the box they Do the Right Thing with their default config to get you up and running as if it were a SOHO router. Couple that with the fact that they are cheap as hell and you probably won't go wrong if you give one a try.

Best of all, you can back up the config when you have your office setup and when the poor unit dies to some power surge or some other awful thing, you just drop that config into a new unit and are back up in running in minutes. Vroom vroom!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

CuddleChunks posted:

<points up above to the VLAN conversation> SEE? Look at how easy these things are to setup!

Hahaha, actually in the 5.x and 6.x firmware they have a new Quick Setup feature that makes them dirt simple to setup, even for non-technical folks. Out of the box they Do the Right Thing with their default config to get you up and running as if it were a SOHO router. Couple that with the fact that they are cheap as hell and you probably won't go wrong if you give one a try.

Best of all, you can back up the config when you have your office setup and when the poor unit dies to some power surge or some other awful thing, you just drop that config into a new unit and are back up in running in minutes. Vroom vroom!

Yeah, that is the fun thing with Mikrotik is that there are a billion ways to configure (it seems) the device to do what you want. I have spent days now on the issue above, but honestly had I sat and thought about what I was reading it probably would have kicked in a bit sooner. However, for the price and the features Mikrotik devices are hard to beat.

kiwid posted:

Interesting. Glad you solved it.

I've been using a bridge rather than the hardware switching so that'd be why mine was working and yours isn't.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using bridges vs the hardware switching? I would imagine CPU usage would be higher since the bridge is software.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using bridges vs the hardware switching? I would imagine CPU usage would be higher since the bridge is software.

I have device that has two switch chips and wlan so I bridge them together and use the bridge interface, otherwise I'd use the hardware chip.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 23, 2013

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hardware switching is line speed between ports on the same switch chip, and software bridging is CPU bound but you can use it with any group of ports and inspect/filter/mangle the traffic. Basically, hardware switching is preferred if it's possible with your hardware and topology.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does anyone know how much better the antennas on the 2011 are compared to the internal antenna on the 951G? I'm considering using two to make a wireless bridge in an old building and would rather use the nondescript white 951G than have a big black and red box with an lcd screen and antenna poking out.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
How's the wireless in the 2011 series? Debating whether to go for one of those or a 750GL + a UniFi LR.

What's my best bet for good WiFI reception/extensibility and how annoying would setting up a UniFi in a MicroTik system be?

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

mmm11105 posted:

How's the wireless in the 2011 series? Debating whether to go for one of those or a 750GL + a UniFi LR.

What's my best bet for good WiFI reception/extensibility and how annoying would setting up a UniFi in a MicroTik system be?

I have a CRS which is basically a 24 port 2011, and I have no complaints about the WiFi. Gets full coverage in a 2200 sq ft house, average 70-80 megabit over the WiFi to the internet.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hey folks -

Time for noob questions again!

1. How's 6.x doing? On 5.25 right now, wondering if I should take the plunge at this point to go to 6.x. RB450G
2. What is the least painful VPN method to set-up? I'm not an expert in this field, but I enjoy the hell out of the setup we have at work where I turn on the Juniper Pulse client and it only VPN's the traffic it needs too (i.e. it doesn't completely cut off every active connection on my machine). I think this is IPSec?
3. Related to above, I assume along with those I can setup a separate IP address pool for machines that VPN in?
4. Asked this one before I think; I'm kinda torn between leaving some internal resources on the same network as all the other machines, vs. putting them on their own VLAN'd 'management' network. If I wanted to do this, can I have DHCP/MikroTik be smart enough to place certain MAC addresses in a certain VLAN / IP address pool?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

movax posted:

2. What is the least painful VPN method to set-up? I'm not an expert in this field, but I enjoy the hell out of the setup we have at work where I turn on the Juniper Pulse client and it only VPN's the traffic it needs too (i.e. it doesn't completely cut off every active connection on my machine). I think this is IPSec?
3. Related to above, I assume along with those I can setup a separate IP address pool for machines that VPN in?

Ipsec is the encryption protocol. You're thinking about a "split tunnel" where your regular internet bound traffic is not tunneled over the VPN, but VPN remote-network traffic is. Yes mikrotik should be able to do this. PPTP is the simplest vpn to setup, but also the least secure since encryption can be option with PPTP. Don't use PPTP if you're using a VPN for security reasons.

Yes, VPN clients should have their own subnet so that you can establish access policies. Treat VPN clients like a separate zone.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

movax posted:

1. How's 6.x doing? On 5.25 right now, wondering if I should take the plunge at this point to go to 6.x. RB450G
It seems mostly stable. I'm running 6.7 on a RB750GL for basic IPv4/v6 firewall/NAT and a RB751 for basic bridged AP duty and haven't had any trouble. You're probably safe to upgrade at this point if you're not doing anything too complicated. Read the changelogs to see if anything you use has been tinkered with recently just to be sure.

movax posted:

ROS 6 has the ability to provide basic XAUTH and MODECFG support for IPsec VPNs (the way Cisco/Juniper do with their client programs), and you should be able to get similar functionality using the Shrew Soft VPN client. I haven't played with it yet, but there's an example config on the Mikrotik wiki.

movax posted:

Yep, that's what MODECFG is for. You can also do it with L2TP/IPsec, which works with the built-in clients in Windows/Mac OS X, but it tunnels everything by default. It's not nearly as convenient as using MODECFG with a third party IPsec client when you have multiple remote users, since you have to configure split tunneling manually on the client side rather than push out the config from the Mikrotik.

movax posted:

4. Asked this one before I think; I'm kinda torn between leaving some internal resources on the same network as all the other machines, vs. putting them on their own VLAN'd 'management' network. If I wanted to do this, can I have DHCP/MikroTik be smart enough to place certain MAC addresses in a certain VLAN / IP address pool?
VLANs are implemented at the switch, and the inexpensive "unmanaged" switches won't do it. You can have static DHCP assignments for certain MAC addresses to be in a different IP range, but the traffic will still be in the same broadcast domain, so you won't really gain any significant advantage without a VLAN-capable switch. Mikrotik's CRS125-24G-1S-IN, as zennik pointed out, is basically a 24-port RB2011, and has VLAN switching capabilities, or you can get a separate managed switch like the HP 1810-24G v2 for about the same price. The HP is a bit easier to configure, as Mikrotik's switch configuration interface is pretty low-level.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 30, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SamDabbers posted:

ROS 6 has the ability to provide basic XAUTH and MODECFG support for IPsec VPNs (the way Cisco/Juniper do with their client programs), and you should be able to get similar functionality using the Shrew Soft VPN client. I haven't played with it yet, but there's an example config on the Mikrotik wiki.

Yep, that's what MODECFG is for. You can also do it with L2TP/IPsec, which works with the built-in clients in Windows/Mac OS X, but it tunnels everything by default. It's not nearly as convenient as using MODECFG with a third party IPsec client when you have multiple remote users, since you have to configure split tunneling manually on the client side rather than push out the config from the Mikrotik.

I gave that example config a try, and doesn't seem to be working; do I need to add a NAT rule or firewall rule somewhere for port 500?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

movax posted:

I gave that example config a try, and doesn't seem to be working; do I need to add a NAT rule or firewall rule somewhere for port 500?

Where is it failing? Can you successfully connect but not pass traffic, or is the Shrew Soft client unable to connect at all?

You should allow at least UDP/500 and UDP/4500 (and probably protocol 50 - ESP) on the INPUT chain for IPsec to work. You'll probably also need some rules in the FORWARD chain to allow the VPN pool subnet to talk to the internal network and vice-versa.

Maybe post your sanitized config so we can take a look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We've been using an ancient Adtran 1224R switch/router for our cable modem at the. It's just for wifi and testing, our company internet connection is separate. The other day we upgraded to 60mb from 30mb, and not only are we limited to 50mb through that device (it does 61mb though a consumer D-Link router) it will freeze up and reboot if we max the connection out with torrents. The docs claim 30,000 pps which at 1.5kb each would be 45mb so that sounds about right.

Does the $99 rb2011il seem like the perfect replacement or what? Basically needs to just do NAT and DHCP for about 200 devices and handle peaking out the connection without freezing up. The D-Link needs reset every few days so I can't use that.