Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Spiderjelly posted:

One good thing about China is that I live in a four bedroom apartment by myself. Suck it, Korea.

E: and thanks

Air mattress... :pop: :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

DontAskKant posted:

Like you would sacrifice 20% of your apartment to keeping an air mattress inflated on stand-by.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Like you would sacrifice 50% of your apartment to keeping an air mattress inflated on stand-by.

Fixed that for you.

Seoul is a pretty nice escape. I think Taiwan is the best escape because everybody still speaks Chinese but treats you like a human being without knowing you personally. You can also go chill on a nice beach and get 10Mbs.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

DontAskKant posted:

On an unrelated note, I love the new avatar.

http://youtu.be/7M-cmNdiFuI

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

SpiderJelly posted:

Sogol posted:
This also meant simply learning to feel what I was feeling, rather than assuming it was a problem to feel that.

What do you mean by this?

You really already got some incredibly sage advice from other sources it seems to me. The stuff about routine was particularly useful I thought.

It might be that we spend a lot of time and energy attempting to avoid feeling certain ways, rather than just allowing ourselves to feel those ways when we do. The avoidance or resistance strategy often keeps things in place or even amplifies them.

Say you feel angry. You experience this a problem and therefore need to fix it. It might even be the case that your attention is on the negation of feeling a certain way, meaning that you are involved in the ongoing production of the very feeling you wish avoid feeling. Not-angry, for instance, is still in the context of angry and the best you can hope for is less angry in that case. Just to magnify it a bit for illustration, suppose instead you found it hilariously funny that you were angry, while simply allowing yourself to be angry.

You are already doing most of this when you notice a kind of chronic condition of anger, rather than simply being angry and enacting that in some form of expression or suppression without even really noticing it.

Another area of potential inquiry or investigation might be the area of judgement involved in the production or experience of anger. Specifically, what does it mean to be an rear end in a top hat? If you had to teach someone else to produce your assholic nature in exact detail, assuming that you have great mastery in this area since you are able to do it so well, what would they have to know? What would the class in SpiderJelly Assholic Mastery look like? What assumptions would they have to make? What would they have to feel and do? What judgements would they make and why? What would you have to teach them? Step 1 really might be "go to China for three years" or something, but take it beyond the circumstantial so this person could play the role of rear end in a top hat in your life next week and pull it off perfectly.

Personally I find the overall condition of my own human being both hilariously funny and almost endlessly embarrassing, except of course when I don't.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 30, 2013

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Well boys and girls, I'm getting on a plane today and heading back to the USA. The year of the snake has been a good one and I sure as poo poo am not going to forget it any time soon. I'll miss Shanghai, but I'm looking forward to being back somewhere that I understand. I'll eat a block of cheese like an apple when I get back in all your honor. :911:

Chinagoons are all welcome to visit me in Denver if you happen to be passing through the middle of North America. Also, special thanks to Caberham for being such a great goon ambassador.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Just arrived in Beijing, love the hotel room and the view and the huge city.

If anybody wants to go out for drinks/food and show me around in the next few days, let me know. I'll be working pretty much every day but should have my evenings free.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Is there anyone in Nanjing or anyone who wants to travel from Shanghai to Nanjing? I'll likely be there from January 11 at noon till 800 am on January 12(I'll buy tomorrow once I hear back from the thread, i assume i can get a bus there and stay out all night or maybe take a taxi.).

I can get from Nanjing Airport to the city pretty easily right?

We can still get temporary stay permits?

Does anyone who wants to meet me need or want anything from Korea?

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
So I went to the American trained Chinese councilor today and he spent half the session bitching about Chinese people and questioning his decision to move back. He was helpful, though.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

That's good news. Really, though, you've gotta tell us more about the content of his bitching because frankly that sounds fascinating, heh. LAN thread maybe?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
One of my co-workers spent like a decade in America and constantly complains about China. He finds me to complain in English. About everything. Every single thing. He hates chopsticks.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Tom Smykowski posted:

He hates chopsticks.

What the poo poo? That's, like, the best part. Will post a story tomorrow.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Tom Smykowski posted:

He hates chopsticks.
I hear in the philippines, you eat with chopsticks and a spoon

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Goon meet Nanjing?

January 11 or 12?

Do places in China stay open till like 4 or 5am. I think the buses won't be running, so I'll have to take a taxi. What are the chances of a taxi screwing me on fair like a Japanese tourist in Seoul?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tom Smykowski posted:

One of my co-workers spent like a decade in America and constantly complains about China. He finds me to complain in English. About everything. Every single thing. He hates chopsticks.

I have this too, every Korean I know who lived in the west for any serious length of time loving hates Korea and complains to me about it. It's hilarious.

One day we had a typhoon and had to go to school, because the city is run by morons. It was too dangerous for kids to come but you're teachers so gently caress you. So we're standing in the empty classroom watching the typhoon, and a tree gets ripped out of the ground and goes flying past the window. My co-teacher says "I hate Koreans, I wish I stayed in Australia."

Then when the eye of the typhoon arrived, the principal decided the storm was over and sent us all home. Ten minutes later I'm being slammed into walls on my walk home since hey, turns out the eye isn't the end of a typhoon :buddy: and everyone is confused why I come in bruised up and limping the next day.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I have this too, every Korean I know who lived in the west for any serious length of time loving hates Korea and complains to me about it. It's hilarious.

One day we had a typhoon and had to go to school, because the city is run by morons. It was too dangerous for kids to come but you're teachers so gently caress you. So we're standing in the empty classroom watching the typhoon, and a tree gets ripped out of the ground and goes flying past the window. My co-teacher says "I hate Koreans, I wish I stayed in Australia."

Then when the eye of the typhoon arrived, the principal decided the storm was over and sent us all home. Ten minutes later I'm being slammed into walls on my walk home since hey, turns out the eye isn't the end of a typhoon :buddy: and everyone is confused why I come in bruised up and limping the next day.

I lol'd.

A couple months ago, we sat through a typhoon that caused the worst flooding in the history of the city. Billions of dollars in damage, a dozen or more dead, infrastructure destroyed everywhere you look. Several feet of water in the classrooms too, of course -- and, since this is China and the rivers spilled their banks, that water was most assuredly as filthy as a latrine.

Should the school be closed for weeks while this disaster and its attending health concerns are dealt with? Yup. Did the school open two days after the flooding and have students sitting in wet, moldy hells? You betcha.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Spiderjelly posted:

What the poo poo? That's, like, the best part. Will post a story tomorrow.

So my guy is not only a US PhD holder who lived in America for 12 years, but he also happens to be an ordained Catholic priest, lol. One of my first questions for him when I found out he was there for so long was "why did you come back?" and he got real quiet before telling me that "the news made it seem like things had improved." I basically went to him to bitch about China, so it makes sense that he'd be primed to say these kinds of things, but his complaints were about the behavior of people towards others. Seems that if you spend enough time away from China, you develop a sense of empathy. He went on for a long while about 小月月,that little girl who got killed because dozens of people just left her for dead on the side of the road. His plans are to escape back to Maine when it's feasible.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Spiderjelly posted:

So my guy is not only a US PhD holder who lived in America for 12 years, but he also happens to be an ordained Catholic priest, lol. One of my first questions for him when I found out he was there for so long was "why did you come back?" and he got real quiet before telling me that "the news made it seem like things had improved." I basically went to him to bitch about China, so it makes sense that he'd be primed to say these kinds of things, but his complaints were about the behavior of people towards others. Seems that if you spend enough time away from China, you develop a sense of empathy. He went on for a long while about 小月月,that little girl who got killed because dozens of people just left her for dead on the side of the road. His plans are to escape back to Maine when it's feasible.

A Catholic priest from Maine? Jeez, I probably know this guy, lol.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just show me on the doll where he touched you....

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Physician heal thyself.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

GuestBob posted:

Physician heal thyself.

You're peachy. :adore:

So whatever happened to that potato farmer from Idaho? Is he still giving bitter vets the what for or did he finally have a meltdown like everyone else?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The spirit of the worst Muslim lives on. Stay tuned!

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

The spirit of the worst Muslim lives on. Stay tuned!

I suppose demons are spirits, yes.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Happy new year, all! I rapped in the new year and got paid for it, hope this year turns out to be better than the last. Drinking a g&t at the bar in your honor right now.

Edit: one of the guys from das racist will be in Luoyang on Friday - I know some of you live in zhengzhou or thereabouts - loving come to Luoyang. I will set you up with a hotel next to the bar (sorry I have a babby at my haus) and guarantee a good time, I will be his dj, or something.

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
Does anyone here have recent info on Qingdao? From what I've read, it's one of the more attractive cities in China (quality of life/culture). I have an interview for a university position, but the pay is really low. I think 4000RMB is enough to live on, but I was hoping to save 100,000RMB after a year of teaching. Am I in over my head? For the teachers, how long did it take you to establish steady side work?

I can provide a copy of the contract if anyone is willing to take a look.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
4000rmb is not enough to live on unless you forego every foreign extravagance and eat dumplings/noodles 3 meals a day. Might as well come to Henan and see Heems from Das Racist on Friday.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

bad day posted:

4000rmb is not enough to live on unless you forego every foreign extravagance and eat dumplings/noodles 3 meals a day. Might as well come to Henan and see Heems from Das Racist on Friday.

Me + Wife + newborn + mother in-law have managed to not kill each other for just about a month now. Total monthly expenses in Beijing for 4 people including buying baby poo poo - 3500. Prior to this, we were doing around 2500.

This includes quite a few "foreign extravagances" :)

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

mrgoodtrips posted:

Does anyone here have recent info on Qingdao? From what I've read, it's one of the more attractive cities in China (quality of life/culture). I have an interview for a university position, but the pay is really low. I think 4000RMB is enough to live on, but I was hoping to save 100,000RMB after a year of teaching. Am I in over my head? For the teachers, how long did it take you to establish steady side work?

4000 RMB is more than enough to live on, provided that's not the actual salary and you'll be given a free apartment with no utilities. Fearcotton and I work at a high school now through a Beijing university's international program (we're pretty good with university contracts, too, so you can PM me a copy of yours if you'd like another set of eyes to take a look). We bank the vast majority of our paychecks and still get all sorts of expensive Western stuff pretty frequently -- she loves her Starbucks coffee and I'm a sucker for pizza -- and we haven't spent more than 4000 RMB in a month in a year and a half of that.

edit: Just so we're clear, do not accept any job that wants to pay you only 4000 RMB a month unless it's a tutoring gig for a couple hours a week or some really part-time work for the same kind of time. Anything more is sheer exploitation.

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 1, 2014

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

mrgoodtrips posted:

What are the hours? Do they provide a housing allowance and travel money? 4,000 is a little low, but universities usually give extra money monthly for rent (or provide housing) and a few other things.

I found extra work the first week I arrived, steady work about 3 weeks after. With an average university schedule, there's plenty of time for extra work. At first I worked off campus where the pay is usually higher, but now I do extra work for various programs on campus where the pay is decent and it's convenient because it's on campus.

I don't know about Qingdao, but I can make it easily on 4000RMB here in Chengdu. It depends what you do in your free time, really.

Edit: Ya, this includes coffee and sometimes pizza or even the greatest place of all, Burger King.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Properk's foreign extravagances:
Giordano apparel
Watson's wine
Maruchan ramen
A Mazda
Saudi Aramco gasoline
Bitcoins

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Me + Wife + newborn + mother in-law have managed to not kill each other for just about a month now. Total monthly expenses in Beijing for 4 people including buying baby poo poo - 3500. Prior to this, we were doing around 2500.

Yes but you do crazy poo poo like age your own meat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mrgoodtrips posted:

Definitely have to know about the hours. 4000 RMB is like a part-time job; you will be earning less than some of the senior Chinese teachers at that wage.

How are you hoping to save 100,000 RMB? Last time I checked 4x12 was not 100.

Qingdao just had a major industrial explosion and oil spill, and I'm not sure how that whole thing turned out but my guess is that the oil spill will not have a positive effect on the beaches. You might want to look into that.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

bad day posted:

Yes but you do crazy poo poo like age your own meat.

Because it's easy and makes beef better, easy enough that my meat guy figured out how to do it and I don't have to do it anymore.

Kinda dumb to pay that kind of premium for stuff that you can make yourself with very little effort.

I also make Italian beef, jerky, pickles, bread, sausage, and mostly just cook at home apart from "low-frequency high-investment" dishes which to do right would require things that are simply not worth the space they occupy, nor the cost.. ie. I like smoked salmon, but I'm not gonna get a damned smoker. I have my morning espresso with fresh roasted imported beans. My kid has a shitload of imported stuffs and supplies already.

Just a nice normal middle-class existence with nice things and not pissing away money on stupid bullshit.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Where the heck are you getting beef? I want some beef.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Ceciltron posted:

Where the heck are you getting beef? I want some beef.

*points at crotch*

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

*points at crotch*

drat..

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

*points at crotch*

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I am currently making ~ 4200 a week from a part-time dj gig (likes to brag about this, sorry).

Edit: but that's mostly because I did a show with 阴三儿 and the bar owners mistakenly think I am famous.

bad day fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 1, 2014

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

I like smoked salmon, but I'm not gonna get a damned smoker.

Just hang it out on the clothesline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

TheBuilder posted:

Just hang it out on the clothesline.

Yea, that would just dry it. Need a proper smoker and proper wood for it. Takes too much space for a thing that would realistically be used once or twice a year. It's a thing that requires a proper villa to make any damned sense.