Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Mine had a shark hat. I think a certain type of item is set for each world (tech, gun, sword, animal hat), but the specific item is randomly generated.

That's how I thought the game would work, but so far every time a person has been said there was <item> at <coordinates> I've found it; Maybe I've just had really good RNG thusfar? I just really want a horsemask and a cape :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Desideratus posted:

That's how I thought the game would work, but so far every time a person has been said there was <item> at <coordinates> I've found it; Maybe I've just had really good RNG thusfar? I just really want a horsemask and a cape :smith:

You can also download the Vanity Station Mod to just craft vanity items you want, because screw the RNG dictating your looks!

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Are there any futuristic/modern looking cooking devices? My old wooden cooktop looks really out of place on my ship at this point?

I've also 'beaten' the tech tree now, full Impervium armour and weapon, with a bunch to spare. Is there any trick to finding better guns other than hoping you get lucky with a chest?

I liked the boss design and early progression, should shape up well as more content and bosses are added.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

VodeAndreas posted:

Are there any futuristic/modern looking cooking devices? My old wooden cooktop looks really out of place on my ship at this point?

I've also 'beaten' the tech tree now, full Impervium armour and weapon, with a bunch to spare. Is there any trick to finding better guns other than hoping you get lucky with a chest?

I liked the boss design and early progression, should shape up well as more content and bosses are added.

The goon-made "Base in a Box" mod has a bunch of futuristic tiers for cooking devices (kitchen counters): http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/base-in-a-box.592/

For guns, killing NPCs on TL10 planets can help, but most I've found tend to be sidegrades at that level and fail to surpass the cluster grenade launcher as the best thing ever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

VodeAndreas posted:

If you use the portable pixel printer you can combine a cheap light and some pixels to make a futuristic looking portable stove thing.

Edit: Oh right, the cooking table... Not just yet.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I haven't been lucky enough to find a rocket or grenade launcher yet... I guess I'll keep wandering around and see what I get, thanks.

And yeah, I meant the counter not the fire, I've got my little nanostove looking good.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Kwyndig posted:

If you use the portable pixel printer you can combine a cheap light and some pixels to make a futuristic looking portable stove thing.

Edit: Oh right, the cooking table... Not just yet.

They are in the game, just not craftable. I believe Apex towns have nicer more modern kitchen counters.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

You can find modern stoves in human bunkers too.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The glitch also have an alternate cooking counter, but that's not really futuristic. The Glitch on is also 5 tiles wide instead of 4 like the Apex one but both are better than the craftable one since you can stack poo poo on them.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Krittick posted:

The goon-made "Base in a Box" mod has a bunch of futuristic tiers for cooking devices (kitchen counters): http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/base-in-a-box.592/

For guns, killing NPCs on TL10 planets can help, but most I've found tend to be sidegrades at that level and fail to surpass the cluster grenade launcher as the best thing ever.

The ones in my mod look exactly like the table for each tier of materials (which I've also put recipes in for). In the next version (hopefully done tomorrow or the day after) they look exactly like that tier's table, but with a pan on it. I did consider doing something better with them but I figured the number of people using my mod for the kitchenware is probably a lot lower than the number who want to scan and print buildings. :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

People are modding this game so easily before it's even out of alpha? I take it it was designed to be extraordinarily mod-friendly, then...

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Speedball posted:

People are modding this game so easily before it's even out of alpha? I take it it was designed to be extraordinarily mod-friendly, then...

There's a lot of stuff that can't be done and quite a few hidden gotchas in the way it handles stuff, but yeah, it's very mod friendly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's in beta. There's a lot of game content in plaintext scripting and such, making it easy to mod. The only thing you can't mod (and will probably never be able to mod) is the actual core game logic.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Speedball posted:

It says right in the game description, "Built from the ground up to support modding"

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's in beta. There's a lot of game content in plaintext scripting and such, making it easy to mod. The only thing you can't mod (and will probably never be able to mod) is the actual core game logic.

This is actually planned post release. Core game logic modding that is via a modding API. Source is Tiy during a conversation on IRC.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think guns might need another set of tweaks

This is a TL 10 planet. Rapid-fire guns do no damage for the energy they cost compared to a slow-firing sniper rifle or even a slow pistol. Shotguns still aren't worth their damage-to-energy costs. I mean I like slow burst-damage weapons anyways but every rapid-fire gun I've tried runs out of energy before it can approach what a slower gun can do in the same amount of bar.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Yeah, Tiy's been pretty vocal about how much they want to open the game up for modding. It's awesome seeing it grow from JSON edits to lua scripting to a full API etc.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
What is the brightest light in the game? The brightest I've found has been the cheap light.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ZHamburglar posted:

What is the brightest light in the game? The brightest I've found has been the cheap light.

Lighting an enemy on fire.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

About as done as I'm gonna get with this thing. After work today I'll double check that it's working properly in the new version and throw it up on the mod database. I'll release a version immediately for the people that want to use it now, and release a "real" version when I finish the custom captain's chair/teleporter/etc

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So I was fighting the first boss on my newest character and all of a sudden

a huge loving meteor came right the gently caress out of the sky and exploded right on top of us, killing him in one hit.

This is pretty much the best game ever.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

dis astranagant posted:

Lighting an enemy on fire.
Poisoning them also makes them glow for some reason.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I really do not like how lava insta-kills you now. Nothing beats walking over a 1 tile pool of lava and instantly melting. Is this something that can be modded away (and if so, are there any mods for it?)

Also, my starting system contains mainly asteroid belts. Since it is impossible to explore asteroids and moons until you get to the third tier, it really bums me out that there is absolutely no point in having asteroids and moons in the first two tiers. They just take up potential planets and are just a dumb tease.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Nalin posted:

Also, my starting system contains mainly asteroid belts. Since it is impossible to explore asteroids and moons until you get to the third tier, it really bums me out that there is absolutely no point in having asteroids and moons in the first two tiers. They just take up potential planets and are just a dumb tease.

I've got a good amount of ores from asteroid belts in the first two tears by just dropping down, grabbing any obvious nearby big deposits, and teleporting back out to safety before running out of air.

Its especially useful for getting gold and silver early on because they seem to spawn quite often in asteroid belts.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Nalin posted:

You actually need to get to the fourth tier before you can make the survival backpack. You unlock the recipe at tier three but it needs durasteel bars which you can only make in tier four.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Onion Knight posted:

About as done as I'm gonna get with this thing. After work today I'll double check that it's working properly in the new version and throw it up on the mod database. I'll release a version immediately for the people that want to use it now, and release a "real" version when I finish the custom captain's chair/teleporter/etc

This looks absolutely fantastic, and I'm getting it as soon as it's available. You did an incredible job with it.

Demos
Mar 4, 2004
Have you passed through this night?
Me and another goon are running our own servers but have been having issues with random drops recently - is anyone experiencing something similar? I.e one of us will join a server and everything will be fine for a minute or two, then the game becomes unresponsive (typed text not appearing in chat, unable to manipulate environment), followed by being dropped by the server. The exact same thing happens on my and his server. Can't really find anything helpful in the Community forum. :/ Ideas?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Nalin posted:

I really do not like how lava insta-kills you now. Nothing beats walking over a 1 tile pool of lava and instantly melting. Is this something that can be modded away (and if so, are there any mods for it?)

Drill to the center of the earth, do it. You literally won't be harmed by the koolaid down there.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

InfinityComplex posted:

Drill to the center of the earth, do it. You literally won't be harmed by the koolaid down there.

I am going to do this now, and set up walls on the way down. I'm hoping to drill either to the bottom of the map, or hit a point where I'm stuck in a gravitational well, flip upside-down, and end up on the other side of the planet.

Also, finally getting my stride in the game. Once you adjust to the systems, especially the item-based bosses and progression, it becomes a lot easier to find a 'purpose' for exploration. Thanks to the goons for helping me out with that.

Now to mod in some better guns, because holy crap guns are pointless.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

J.A.B.C. posted:

I am going to do this now, and set up walls on the way down. I'm hoping to drill either to the bottom of the map, or hit a point where I'm stuck in a gravitational well, flip upside-down, and end up on the other side of the planet.

To stop you from getting mad at killing yourself and losing a bunch of pixels (because I did it for sure): If you tunnel through the lava and touch the center of the world at the very bottom of the screen you just die instantly.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

One goon is working on a sky rail that goes around the whole planet on 420yoloswag, which is awesome. However, it's a shame that you can't make loops without going around the entire planet since sky rails use the same placement rules as platforms. I really want to make a loop inside my ship, or in an avian BASE jumping tower.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

I think they added a new extra-damaging status effect to the koolaid that makes it actually deadly now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SWORDS.

Craftable in their respective tiers, I'll probably make a color version later. Daggers are most of the way done, and I've got the references and stuff I need for the hammers and axes so they won't take very long either.

Armor is coming after weapons, and then I may do an official release of the race mod because doing dungeons for random village spawns and furniture is going to suuuuuck.

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar
This game keeps getting gradually better and they seem to have cut back on character resets (for now). I'm staggered at how quickly it adds content and how much volume of content (decoratives, weapons, armor, etc) it has relative to Terraria. Or to Minecraft, which is like a boulder compared to this chiseled statue. I'm getting very interested in Risk of Rain now, which is a similar game but far more combat-focused and even looks a little like Gradius but as a platformer :O

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nalin posted:

My Oxystones mod will help. :)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Babe Magnet posted:

SWORDS.

Craftable in their respective tiers, I'll probably make a color version later. Daggers are most of the way done, and I've got the references and stuff I need for the hammers and axes so they won't take very long either.

Armor is coming after weapons, and then I may do an official release of the race mod because doing dungeons for random village spawns and furniture is going to suuuuuck.

Those mostly look nice but the last tier doesn't really work for me, all i can see is cheese skewers :v:

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
So I was having problems with breaking too many blocks and getting kicked earlier, found out that the file you want to edit is starbound.config in the /steamapps/common/Starbound directory. The value you want to change is "tileDamageLimit"

Modgoons: is it okay to use the merge function for player.config in more than one mod? For example, if I need to use merge in player.config for mod Herp to add starter recipes, could I also do the same for mod Derp to add more recipes?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Demos posted:

Me and another goon are running our own servers but have been having issues with random drops recently - is anyone experiencing something similar? I.e one of us will join a server and everything will be fine for a minute or two, then the game becomes unresponsive (typed text not appearing in chat, unable to manipulate environment), followed by being dropped by the server. The exact same thing happens on my and his server. Can't really find anything helpful in the Community forum. :/ Ideas?
Worth mentioning is that a third player is having no issues at any server and a fourth who used to be able to play on Demos' server now also gets kicked there, I've been unable to get him to test if he suffer the same on my server.

(I'm the other goon, obviously)

EDIT:
130.243.175.163 is the server IP. Try to hang around doing stuff for ten to fifteen minutes and post the results if you want to help us out. :)

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 30, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/xmen-wolverine.753/

I finally put this thing out. Making the claws work was a pain in the rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bistromatic posted:

Those mostly look nice but the last tier doesn't really work for me, all i can see is cheese skewers :v:

MAYBE THEY ARE

• Locked thread