Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Have you thought about a P-Bass? Jazz Basses are intended to be have more in the first overtone series than a lot of other basses which is why it sounds less bassy. P-Basses have more in the fundamental so they'll sound more bassy.

Hammer Floyd posted:

So I'm looking for my first decent bass...

The two basses that got my attention were Fender Jazz basses and Warwick Corvettes. I loved how the Fender Jazz played, but it didn't have enough bottom end for my liking. The Warwick Corvette had pretty much the exact sound that I'm looking for BUT:

I played 2 different Pro Series Warwick Corvettes. BOTH of them had fret issues that made some notes out of tune. At first, I thought it was the intonation, so I had the guys at the store fix the intonation so that it was perfect at the 12th fret. However, on the first Warwick, the 4th fret was STILL pitching the note sharp which had a knock-on effect to the other notes and the second Pro Series it was the 7th. I know Warwicks have a great reputation and all, but these were 2 different, $1500 basses that had poo poo fretwork that you couldn't fix. So even though a Warwick Corvette pretty much fits the bill for what I'm looking for, I'm not going to go back to those.

I've played both a Mexi and a US Fender Jazz. The US definitely sounded better, but in terms of playability and everything, I didn't think the Mexi Jazz was a compromise at all. My only complaint is as I said: They don't have enough bottom end for my liking.

So: I'm thinking of grabbing a Mexican Fender Jazz standard and replacing the pickups with a set of active EMGs (since that's what they use in the awful expensive Warwicks). All up, that'll set me back about $1300.

ALTERNATIVELY: Fender do make Mexi Jazz basses with Active pickups and they seem to go for $1100.

What would be your call? Would you prefer to rock a Jazz bass with active Fender pickups or active EMGs?

Or is there something else entirely that you would rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

HollisBrown posted:

Have you thought about a P-Bass? Jazz Basses are intended to be have more in the first overtone series than a lot of other basses which is why it sounds less bassy. P-Basses have more in the fundamental so they'll sound more bassy.
A few post up he said...

Hammer Floyd posted:

I've got a P-Bass already and it's not working out for me
So P-Bass no good, Jazz has not enough bottom end and he's an Aussie, so I'm steering clear of that minefield.

But if I was to comment, I'd probably say that the answer, of course, is the Japanese made Fender Aerodyne which is probably the best bass in Fender's line up. Might be the best bass you can buy. Aussies can even get them at a reasonable price.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

frunksock posted:

The OP is a little light on practice amp recommendations. Is there anything else people like? I was messing around at guitar center and all of the practice amps in the $150 or so range and below had this terrible buzzing when playing certain notes, particularly a low A. The pricier amps didn't have it, but it doesn't seem like something you should have to drop $250 to avoid. Were their amps just busted / abused? The sales guy seemed as mystified as me.

I've never been fond of what stores sell as practice amps since you can't gig with them, you usually can't practice that much in a full band situation unless everyone you're playing with is on the same page, and sometimes even what you think isn't loud is too loud for everyone else who lives near you.

I'd just go for a headphone amp.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hea...p+bass&tbm=shop

Or if you're lucky, your gigging amp head has a headphone jack in the back. My Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 has one and my neighbors and I both love it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So does anyone know how to get that early Mayhem/Burzum really heavy bass sound? I'm having some trouble doing it.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

CisSTAR 19 posted:

I've never been fond of what stores sell as practice amps since you can't gig with them, you usually can't practice that much in a full band situation unless everyone you're playing with is on the same page, and sometimes even what you think isn't loud is too loud for everyone else who lives near you.

I'd just go for a headphone amp.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hea...p+bass&tbm=shop

Or if you're lucky, your gigging amp head has a headphone jack in the back. My Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 has one and my neighbors and I both love it.
I won't be gigging any time soon, but I'd still like something I can practice on without headphones (but also be able to plug headphones into). I might be okay just getting the thing that would go loud enough to practice with a full band instead, if it weren't too massive and/or expensive.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Xandoom posted:

So does anyone know how to get that early Mayhem/Burzum really heavy bass sound? I'm having some trouble doing it.

record in a tin can

rio
Mar 20, 2008

frunksock posted:

I won't be gigging any time soon, but I'd still like something I can practice on without headphones (but also be able to plug headphones into). I might be okay just getting the thing that would go loud enough to practice with a full band instead, if it weren't too massive and/or expensive.

The "acoustic" brand has nice sounding and cheap amps. The 20 watt one is a good practice amp - has a headphone jack, 1/8" input for iPod or whatever, sounds decent and loud enough to play with a band at low to moderately low volume. It is the lightest amp I own so ifi am being lazy I'll bring it to rehearsals or even small jazz gigs. Sounds louder than 20w too.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

rio posted:

The "acoustic" brand has nice sounding and cheap amps. The 20 watt one is a good practice amp - has a headphone jack, 1/8" input for iPod or whatever, sounds decent and loud enough to play with a band at low to moderately low volume. It is the lightest amp I own so ifi am being lazy I'll bring it to rehearsals or even small jazz gigs. Sounds louder than 20w too.
Do you hear a buzzing if you loudly play a low A on the E string? I'm almost positive that I tried the 15-35W ish Acoustics at the store and they had that buzzing. But so did the Ampegs. The Fender Rumble had it but to a lesser extent, and then starting with like a 200W Peavey and up from there were fine. I'm guessing maybe all the little amps were just damaged by customers turning them up higher than they should go?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

frunksock posted:

Do you hear a buzzing if you loudly play a low A on the E string? I'm almost positive that I tried the 15-35W ish Acoustics at the store and they had that buzzing. But so did the Ampegs. The Fender Rumble had it but to a lesser extent, and then starting with like a 200W Peavey and up from there were fine. I'm guessing maybe all the little amps were just damaged by customers turning them up higher than they should go?

or maybe they are picking up some slight fret buzz :v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ericadia posted:

Speaking of which:

I can't tell if my pickups are picking up fret buzz or not. I figure the easiest way to tell is just to record myself and see if I can hear it on playback. (I have a cheapo guitar amp for practicing, and I plug my headphones into the amp so I don't blow it up. My headphones are not noise cancelling so sounds from the instrument come through clearly and I can't distinguish what's amplified and what's not.)

All I really have to work with is the USB cable from Rocksmith and my computer. Is there any free programs that can record off of the USB cord so I can check? It's literally something I'll spend 20 minutes checking then never have to do it again, so I'm not looking for anything crazy.

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009

Renegret posted:

Speaking of which:

I can't tell if my pickups are picking up fret buzz or not. I figure the easiest way to tell is just to record myself and see if I can hear it on playback. (I have a cheapo guitar amp for practicing, and I plug my headphones into the amp so I don't blow it up. My headphones are not noise cancelling so sounds from the instrument come through clearly and I can't distinguish what's amplified and what's not.)

All I really have to work with is the USB cable from Rocksmith and my computer. Is there any free programs that can record off of the USB cord so I can check? It's literally something I'll spend 20 minutes checking then never have to do it again, so I'm not looking for anything crazy.

You can use Audacity to record the rocksmith cable as if it were a mic.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Infected Mushroom posted:

You can use Audacity to record the rocksmith cable as if it were a mic.

Thanks you.

I know next to nothing about audio...anything, which is a bit embarrassing as a computer guy who plays three instruments. It just doesn't interest me in the slightest and I can't be bothered to learn. I'm going to be hosed if I get good enough on bass where I want to start playing with other people and I need to actually by my own amp and start doing things that involve turning those magical knobs on the bass.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
This is one of the best videos I've seen on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_0DXxNeaQ0

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Ericadia posted:

I wondered that too, but I don't think so since none of the bigger amps were doing it. And after it occurred to me I made sure I wasn't fretting sloppily.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

frunksock posted:

I wondered that too, but I don't think so since none of the bigger amps were doing it. And after it occurred to me I made sure I wasn't fretting sloppily.

Did it only happen on that one note? Or was it the A and everything below it? Could have been loose screws on speaker grills rattling, the speaker clipping (I would only expect this if you were playing very loud and/or through an exceptionally lovely amp), or some kind of resonant frequency poo poo with the amp cabinet. I have personally used an Acoustic B20 (now called the B30 I think) and the Acoustic B100 (only in a store) and never noticed what you describe.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

TopherCStone posted:

Did it only happen on that one note? Or was it the A and everything below it? Could have been loose screws on speaker grills rattling, the speaker clipping (I would only expect this if you were playing very loud and/or through an exceptionally lovely amp), or some kind of resonant frequency poo poo with the amp cabinet. I have personally used an Acoustic B20 (now called the B30 I think) and the Acoustic B100 (only in a store) and never noticed what you describe.
Not every note, but once I found it doing it on that one, I just kept using that note to test it on different amps. I'm not sure if I tested the notes below it. My best guess was speaker damage due to previous customers clipping them, since I imagine it's a lot easier to get those small amps clipping, and plenty of customers are going to want to see how loud it goes and turn it all the way up. Anyway, it's helpful to know that's not just how they are. Thanks!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got both a B20 and B100 for ridiculous deals because they were floor models. Sounded pristine, have used both a ton and they have held up with no issues.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Can I run a crazy idea by you guys? I remember the Rondo appreciation thread, and have been considering buying a couple of instruments that have more of a classic sound. As background, I've been playing weird-rear end instruments my whole life: moved from orchestral bass directly to a fretless in my Les Claypool days, then to a piccolo bass with an octave pedal, to other bizarre experiments. I have a few hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket, and I want to get a P-Bass and a J-Bass and try the fuckers out.

Would you recommend getting two sub-$200 Rondo instruments just so I can gently caress around with them, or would I be just throwing money away because they suck? Which models are the best fits for the P-Bass and J-Bass sounds?

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
I own one Rondo bass and it is really awful. I can't attest to the quality of their other instruments but this one sounds and feels like a toy. Maybe it's just because its semihollow or short-scale, but it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth for Rondo. I guess you can expect that at the $160 mark but I kinda bought into the SA rondo hype of them being relatively decent cheap instruments. If I had to buy another cheap bass, I'd definitely just go to a pawn shop or hit up Craigslist.

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009
Unless you really, really want 2 separate basses, I'd spend your money on a single bass with both j and p pickups. You'll get a much better quality instrument spending the same amount and it'll sound pretty much the same.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

A used Mexican Fender (yes get one bass, try both out in stores if you are unsure) is a good, upgradeable option. Yamaha is a nice non fender brand that has decent sounding and playable jazz a precision options.

I just ordered a fretless Warmoth neck that is going on my '97 American standard j bass. Going to be loving sweet, maple neck rosewood board, satin nitro finish, no lines. Seems wrong to separate a perfectly good US made bass though. Oh well, it's going to be so good I'm sure I won't feel bad after I get it all set up to play. :getin:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
On the other side of things, my dad bought a Rondo SX fretless j-bass (I think ~$200) and it's actually very nice. Sounds legit and plays well.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

rio posted:

A used Mexican Fender (yes get one bass, try both out in stores if you are unsure) is a good, upgradeable option. Yamaha is a nice non fender brand that has decent sounding and playable jazz a precision options.

I just ordered a fretless Warmoth neck that is going on my '97 American standard j bass. Going to be loving sweet, maple neck rosewood board, satin nitro finish, no lines. Seems wrong to separate a perfectly good US made bass though. Oh well, it's going to be so good I'm sure I won't feel bad after I get it all set up to play. :getin:

I just did something similar but mine was a fretted precision neck from their showcase (I hate waiting) going on a MIM body. Don't worry, you can always hang on to the USA neck, or like set it aside until funds allow you to pick up a Warmoth body and then you can reunite them once more.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Macavity posted:

I own one Rondo bass and it is really awful. I can't attest to the quality of their other instruments but this one sounds and feels like a toy. Maybe it's just because its semihollow or short-scale, but it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth for Rondo. I guess you can expect that at the $160 mark but I kinda bought into the SA rondo hype of them being relatively decent cheap instruments. If I had to buy another cheap bass, I'd definitely just go to a pawn shop or hit up Craigslist.

SX basses tend to be fairly decent quality. I've never played the Douglas line (guitar or bass) so I can't vouch for them

Speaking of cheap instruments I totally impulse bought a Squier Bronco sight unseen. I'm so excited I'm so scared (I bought a GFS REDActive single coil and a P-Bass harness so hopefully it's at least playable)

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
In my experience, SX basses are junk. You might luck out and get a good one, but it's much more likely that you'll end up with a lemon. A used MIM Fender or a new Squier Classic Vibe would be a much better investment.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Juaguocio posted:

A used MIM Fender or a new Squier Classic Vibe would be a much better investment.

This is true, though. Fenders and the CV Squiers are gig-worthy instruments stock and if you don't like one you can recoup most of your investment.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So for Christmas I got a new EBS Metaldrive bass pedal. It sounds pretty good on it's own but I combined it with a philosopher's tone pedal to create a really cool sound. It's distorted and still sounds hairy/"metal", but it sounds really round and smooth as well. I'll try and post a video soon.

Anyway, I'm looking into buying a new bass and was looking for some recommendations on where to start. Right now I'm using a Fender lyte "hotrod" bass and am looking into buying a bass more suitable towards metal music. I'm trying to go for an Amon Amarth type sound. Any ideas on where to start? Price isn't really an issue, definitely just looking for quality here. Thanks!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Six stringer for metal power chords.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I received my Fiesta-red CV 60's P-Bass and spent most of yesterday going through the Hal Leonard book one - it's sad just how much playing along on these tracks sounds so much more like actual music, compared to when I switched back to my strat for a little while.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I'm so used to playing outdoor gigs, it's crazy how much low end you can get indoors with a decent cab. I can't wait for my new year's gig.

The bass player in my cousins band plays a jag, I'm so tempted to get a jaguar bass. To do so, however, would require getting rid of my fretless... Not sure if I am ready to part with all fretless basses besides my upright.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have any tips/advice for playing a 5 string bass? I am picking up a new 5 string on Tuesday!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Xandoom posted:

Does anyone have any tips/advice for playing a 5 string bass? I am picking up a new 5 string on Tuesday!

Relearn basslones, passages and written music that you used to play in the first four positions and learn to plat them five frets/positions higher. Things that used to be on your e string will now be one over on the b string, a string to the e string etc. a lot of the time people new having a low b string only use it for the new low notes you will have rather than using it to keep yourself higher up the neck for both comfort/versatility reasons.

What bass are you getting out of curiosity?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you for the info!

It was an Ibanez mahagony 5 string bass I found at Guitar Center. I forgot specifically which model but it was around $700USD if that helps. I loved it!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Xandoom posted:

Thank you for the info!

It was an Ibanez mahagony 5 string bass I found at Guitar Center. I forgot specifically which model but it was around $700USD if that helps. I loved it!

Was it this?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SR505BM

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yes I believe so, except the one I bought was black. Is it a good bass do you think?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Xandoom posted:

Yes I believe so, except the one I bought was black. Is it a good bass do you think?

Good basses are the only kind Ibanez makes :smug:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ericadia posted:

Good basses are the only kind Ibanez makes :smug:

Awesome! I can't wait to pick it up. I have a Mark bass amp and an EBS Metaldrive pedal, so I am going to have some fun! :devil:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don't know what kind of strings Ibanez ships with these days - if you have some extra funds it might be worth it to pick up a set you know you like to slap on when the bass arrives.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Infected Mushroom posted:

Unless you really, really want 2 separate basses, I'd spend your money on a single bass with both j and p pickups. You'll get a much better quality instrument spending the same amount and it'll sound pretty much the same.

I agree, there are several different models in the Fender lineup that have the combination P/J pickup configuration. It really opens up the range of tones you can play with.

I have a P Bass Deluxe with active pickups which is my primary instrument, its a great guitar. The Aerodyne is really nice too, from my understanding it is more or less a Jazz bass with the P/J pickups.

Other manufacturers have similar models, I'm particularly fond of the Shecter Model-T
http://www.schecterguitars.com/products/bass/Model-T.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ZetsurinPower posted:

I have a P Bass Deluxe with active pickups which is my primary instrument, its a great guitar. The Aerodyne is really nice too, from my understanding it is more or less a Jazz bass with the P/J pickups.

Too bad Aerodynes look like poo poohot awesomeness