Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Speedy suit is still the best costume that Roy has ever had.

edit: I also think a skip directly to Arsenal is probable.

I like Roy too much to wish anything to do with Arsenal on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ehh, even if you watch all of Man of Steel it's not really clear how the average civilian would know that Superman wasn't completely scary-as-poo poo dangerous to them. At most they probably realize he's fighting the bad aliens, but why wouldn't he? Those aliens have announced to the whole world that he's their enemy! And maybe seven or eight people might have caught on to the fact that he was on the side of the military, but since when has the military been some kind of great comfort to anyone? You tell the average American, much less anyone living in other countries, that the US Army is working with an alien that can demolish a city in a matter of minutes, and see for yourselves how very comforted they feel. That's not even considering the fact that Superman and the military end the story on a rather iffy note anyway.

Maybe that's why Superman started making out with Lois on top of that sea of corpses at the end, to show all those bystanders that he actually really likes humans!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I like Roy too much to wish anything to do with Arsenal on him.
Arsenal was a really cool character and concept for many many years right up until the triple ambush of Cry For Justice, Rise of Arsenal, and Eric Wallace's Titans rendered him toxic beyond salvation. All the original Teen Titans taking on new code names to move past their old identities was one of the best things DC Comics has ever done.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know it's hiatus time and all and talking about semi-related stuff is fine during this down time but the Man of Steel stuff is going a bit overboard at this point. I'm sure we can all find something to discuss actually related to this show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, anyone else like how they managed to get the perfect white streak into Manu Bennet's hair?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, anyone else like how they managed to get the perfect white streak into Manu Bennet's hair?

I liked how totally Bad Guy villain it was. I don't know anything about his character except what people keep posting in this thread (UGH) so it was a nice costume/make up choice. I really think the costumes on this show are pretty great.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Funhilde posted:

I liked how totally Bad Guy villain it was. I don't know anything about his character except what people keep posting in this thread (UGH) so it was a nice costume/make up choice. I really think the costumes on this show are pretty great.

His monologue also never gets old. Somehow that scene is just... so James Bond. In the most delicious way. :moreevil:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
God, even if he's reduced to like, I dunno, throwing poo poo at Ollie from the street corner like a crazy homeless man, he'll still be the most menancing scenery chewing villain (other than :argh: BARROWMAN)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

bunnyofdoom posted:

God, even if he's reduced to like, I dunno, throwing poo poo at Ollie from the street corner like a crazy homeless man, he'll still be the most menancing scenery chewing villain (other than :argh: BARROWMAN)

Bennet/Barrowman team up Season 3 :getin:

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

Bennet/Barrowman team up Season 3 :getin:

Slade and Ollie get into a big epic fight in the Season 3 finale. Suddenly Ollie is pierced by an arrow. It's black.

"You didn't think you could defeat The Arrow on your own did you?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Slade and Ollie get into a big epic fight in the Season 3 finale. Suddenly Ollie is pierced by an arrow. It's black.

"You didn't think you could defeat The Arrow on your own did you?"

That would be pretty legit to see on the show. The last time Slade and Ollie really shook it up in the comics they both had various backups on their respective sides.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Manu Bennett killed that monologue - he's similar to Barrowman in that the writers don't really give them great lines, but they do give them some great scenes to chew on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If Roy is super strong now, maybe he and Ollie can do a fastball special where Roy throws Ollie and while in midair Ollie shoots an arrow.

The arrow would be TWICE AS FAST, TWICE AS POWERFUL!!!!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hobohemian posted:

Superman is the worst superhero ever created.

I can't ignore this...

Superman isn't the worst superhero ever created and he might be the best. The problem is that he's outlived when he was most relevant - he has to be evaluated in the context of his original appearances when he was HUGELY popular. Superman was a symbol of honor and strength at a difficult period in American history, when we were experiencing the Great Depression and preparing to enter WWII. He was popular because he wasn't getting polio and he was truth, justice and the American Way.

There's a lot I could say, but here's an article that says it better.

Anyway, back around to Arrow.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cloks posted:

I can't ignore this...

Superman isn't the worst superhero ever created and he might be the best. The problem is that he's outlived when he was most relevant - he has to be evaluated in the context of his original appearances when he was HUGELY popular. Superman was a symbol of honor and strength at a difficult period in American history, when we were experiencing the Great Depression and preparing to enter WWII. He was popular because he wasn't getting polio and he was truth, justice and the American Way.

There's a lot I could say, but here's an article that says it better.

Anyway, back around to Arrow.

Don't be dumb. Moon Knight is the best superhero. Or maybe Silver Surfer.

No, wait, the Red Tornado was the...no, wait a sec, The Shadow was the best superhero - if he won in a fight against Moon Knight, that is.

Do you see how this works?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Oasx posted:

It would be weird for him to be super strong and tough, and then be an archer. If he keeps his powers i could see him being more of a meelee fighter.

My prediction is that the serum is more of a treatment that requires repeated dosage. And that Roy's exposure to it becomes more of an addiction plotline, as he pursues more Miracle when it wears off. Learning to become an archer could be painted as a therapeutic exercise to wean him off of a destructive drug, also providing a motivation for Oliver to train him (as Red Arrow or whatever.)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Xealot posted:

My prediction is that the serum is more of a treatment that requires repeated dosage. And that Roy's exposure to it becomes more of an addiction plotline, as he pursues more Miracle when it wears off. Learning to become an archer could be painted as a therapeutic exercise to wean him off of a destructive drug, also providing a motivation for Oliver to train him (as Red Arrow or whatever.)

My ward is a junkie :smith:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rarity posted:

My ward is a junkie :smith:

But that means they'll have to bring in Hal! :unsmith:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Xealot posted:

Good point, that would make for a much better story, than Roy having Hulk powers.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
The fact that Slade offers his blood as a sample to make more serum kinda implies that he doesn't need any to keep his strength, though.

And then there's also Grundy who I doubt will turn into another serum junkie.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Special guest appearance by Ryan Reynolds's dying career.

Krad posted:

The fact that Slade offers his blood as a sample to make more serum kinda implies that he doesn't need any to keep his strength, though.

And then there's also Grundy who I doubt will turn into another serum junkie.

If it's a knock-off based on Slade's blood they could play it as wearing off and Grundy got a face full of overdose that could be used to explain his keeping the powers and being zombie like when he returns.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 30, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

SirDan3k posted:

If it's a knock-off based on Slade's blood they could play it as wearing off and Grundy got a face full of overdose that could be used to explain his keeping the powers and being zombie like when he returns.

Yeah or intentionally engineered from his blood to be temporary, which could be the control speedy of it. I mean, from a rational perspective, Slade probably doesn't want to create an army of potential challengers/rivals.

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.
I introduced my 65+ year old parents to Arrow last week, and they've almost finished marathoning the first season. A few things they've reached consensus on is that Laurel is terrible, and Thea should have gone to jail for her Vertigo DUI. And whiny island Ollie has them both hoping that Slade is the one that gave him all those scars.

Popper
Nov 15, 2006

The main problem with Laurel is that in season one her role was to be confidant to Ollie as well as romantic interest.

And then Felicity happened. They brought in an extra character who had so much like-ability and chemistry that every scene that could have been passed to Laurel got eaten up by Felicity.
Which wasn't a bad thing at all. Everyone prefers it, and season two is awesome because you can keep all the drama contained in one plot line, instead of having one character in a conversation be completely oblivious to why the other is acting that way, and you don't have to have 50% of the scenes in the show end with Oliver saying he really has to go for no apparent reason.

Sara's reappearance seemed to be just a flashing light saying, don't worry we've got a back up plan for killing off Laurel.

At this point the best thing that could happen to the character is have her killed by Blood, bringing Sara back to the city.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

With his mask on Blood reminds me of Scarecrow from the Nolan movies.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Well, it sounds like they're at least aware that Laurel's kinda been left in the dust. In that Quiver video, Amell mentioned that Laurel's episode is coming up soon. Episode 11, I guess, which would put it the week after Arrow comes back if the show doesn't immediately take a week off.

Azubah posted:

With his mask on Blood reminds me of Scarecrow from the Nolan movies.

It's a skull mask, though. Scarecrow's thing was more of a rag.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jedibeavis posted:

I introduced my 65+ year old parents to Arrow last week, and they've almost finished marathoning the first season. A few things they've reached consensus on is that Laurel is terrible, and Thea should have gone to jail for her Vertigo DUI. And whiny island Ollie has them both hoping that Slade is the one that gave him all those scars.

Your parents sound awesome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

King of Solomon posted:

It's a skull mask, though. Scarecrow's thing was more of a rag.

He didn't say it was a clone. Really, you don't see a similarity?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Drifter posted:

He didn't say it was a clone. Really, you don't see a similarity?

A bit, but not enough for me to notice before looking at them closely.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well they're both based off of skulls so yeah they're gonna look alike.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I think its the combination of similar mask + similar voice modulation + crazy drug story line that has people calling it out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NO IT'S SKULLS                

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 30, 2013

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
I'd completely forgotten that Ollie went back to the island between the s1 finale and the opening of s2.

Since it is now a place for him to run around and feel guilty in, is it fairly safe to assume everything there is wrapped up so no more super drugs or secret lazarus pit temples like some people suspect?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hal should be played by Liam McIntyre, Dustin Clare, or Peter Mensah :colbert:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
For the last week or so, Amell has been posting stunt rehearsal videos form this season to facebook. Here's the most recent one from the League of Assassin's episode: Link

The Mayor: Link

Dollmaker: Link

They really deserve to win the stunt coordination Emmy this year.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I'm all aboard Ollie growing that facial hair and keeping it

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Habibi posted:

And name him Sgt Detritus.

:golfclap:

In other news I found the only person on the play who watched the show and didn't like it. Burned through season 1/2 with my friend, and according to him the show is poo poo and boring as hell. :D

He probably would have liked it more if he had paid attention, though, as he had no idea what the Undertaking was until an episode or two before the finale. He also complained the plot was hard to follow. :allears:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lawlicaust posted:

For the last week or so, Amell has been posting stunt rehearsal videos form this season to facebook. Here's the most recent one from the League of Assassin's episode: Link

The Mayor: Link

Dollmaker: Link

They really deserve to win the stunt coordination Emmy this year.

I bet they're already strapped for time on this show but these need to be 3x longer, I wonder if the BluRays have expanded versions.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

I bet they're already strapped for time on this show but these need to be 3x longer, I wonder if the BluRays have expanded versions.

At least one of those has a deleted fight sequence so it's probably a safe bet that time is a major concern for fight sequences.

Definitely agreed that the BluRay needs plenty of special feature time devoted to the stunt teams. It'd also be interesting to see just to see all the stunts Amell actually does. He said in an interview that he does about 75% of his own stunts.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

Someone said there was a deleted scene that justified Laurel going to work in the finale, so yeah, I'd say the episodes don't have room for longer fight scenes.

They could reduce the amount of plot development to lengthen the fight scenes, but I don't think anyone wants that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm all aboard Ollie growing that facial hair and keeping it

I am as well, and I regularly ask on the Facebook page for him to grow it.

• Locked thread