Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Atticus Finch posted:

It looks like there's a chance Clowney would fall to Oakland.
I really, really doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When was the last time there was a 7-9 team that was #4 in its division AND got the #2 overall pick?

(Never)

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Hockles posted:

No change in Strength of Schedule based on PHI/DAL ?

Not with 2+ games separating most teams that have the same wins for the Top 15. Bal & NYJ never played the NFCE so it's irrelevant, Oakland will get a win no matter what but that's moving the wrong way.

Here's 16 through 20 pending SNF:

pre:
Eagles win

BAL	8.0	124.0	132.0	0.484
DAL	8.0	124.0	132.0	0.484
NYJ	8.0	125.0	131.0	0.488
MIA	8.0	134.0	122.0	0.523
ARI	10.0	136.0	120.0	0.531

Cowboys win

BAL	8.0	124.0	132.0	0.484
NYJ	8.0	125.0	131.0	0.488
MIA	8.0	134.0	122.0	0.523
PHI	9.0	118.0	138.0	0.461
ARI	10.0	135.0	121.0	0.527

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LiquidFriend posted:

The Ravens absolutely should and I think you could make arguments for Oakland/Lions/Steelers.

Oakland has to either draft a quarterback, or set themselves up to go 5-11 next season and draft one then. Between Moore, Streater, and Holmes, WR is among the least of their needs.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Any info on Jimmy Garoppolo? His name is starting to pop up on the top QB lists. Good stats, but that's at Eastern Illinois.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Atticus Finch posted:

It looks like there's a chance Clowney would fall to Oakland.

Rams take him at 2 unless they trade down.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tanglewood1420 posted:

That's funny, I'd think the Rams are the team that needs him the least.

But honestly for Clowney you should probably make room, so I could see it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

tanglewood1420 posted:

Rams already have two good pass rushers on the line. They're more likely to take an outside linebacker (Barr), Matthews at OT or a rising wide receiver (Watkins) if they don't trade back. It's kind of funny but St Louis don't really need a new quarterback or a new defensive end.

I'm not one for mock drafts but I think:

HOU: Bridgewater
STL: Watkins
JAC: Clowney
CLE: Carr
OAK: Matthews / Barr / whoever the gently caress they want because their team is woeful

wouldn't be a big surprise. People are still locked into the whole "you don't take whatever high" that is a hangover from the pre-wage scale days.

St Louis can afford to go for value with their top pick and whatever they want with the second one in the first, but I don't see them targetting a QB or a DE with the wealth of talent and other holes on the roster. I'm a big believer in BPA, but at the end of the day taking Clowney or Bridgewater wouldn't improve the team from where it already is like Watkins, Barr or Matthews would.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Why would the Jags take Clowney if they desperately need a QB?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I can't see the Rams passing on the BPA. You can never have enough DEs, and QB arguably is a position of need for them.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Arschlochkind posted:

Ahem.

That was when we were 2-8. :banjo:

Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa :smithicide:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

BlindSite posted:

Rams already have two good pass rushers on the line. They're more likely to take an outside linebacker (Barr), Matthews at OT or a rising wide receiver (Watkins) if they don't trade back. It's kind of funny but St Louis don't really need a new quarterback or a new defensive end.

I see Clowney at another level to Matthews, Barr and the like. And you know what's better than having two good pass rushers? Having three good pass rushers - and in a division where you're going to be up against extremely mobile QBs like Wilson and Kaepernick it's even more important to have an athletic DL.

I will extremely surprised if Clowney falls past 2, either the Rams will go BPA or someone below will fall in love with him and trade up to get him.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Jong Il posted:

I can't see the Rams passing on the BPA. You can never have enough DEs, and QB arguably is a position of need for them.

No it's not. The Rams are either going to get tremendous value for trading back, or are going to get pretty poo poo value for trading back, depending on how other teams feel about Clowney and Bridgewater, but I think they'd take a deal like Oakland took this last season if they had no other choice. If they play their cards right, they can set themselves up real pretty moving forward.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tanglewood1420 posted:

If there's one thing the Rams need, its more DEs

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

commy gun posted:

That mouyth guard looks like a pacifier,. Clowney is a big, black, muscley toddler.

RD what was your prediction on RG3 I must tell the masses.

i think i said he'd be real good but not luck good and be out of the league in 4 years due to injuries so that's looking pretty good so far

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

tanglewood1420 posted:

I see Clowney at another level to Matthews, Barr and the like. And you know what's better than having two good pass rushers? Having three good pass rushers - and in a division where you're going to be up against extremely mobile QBs like Wilson and Kaepernick it's even more important to have an athletic DL.

I will extremely surprised if Clowney falls past 2, either the Rams will go BPA or someone below will fall in love with him and trade up to get him.

Unless Quinn, Long or Clowney can play 4-3 DT then only two will be on the field at any given time. And both Long and Quinn were first round picks themselves; you don't spend the #2 overall pick on a guy who will rotate with two other first rounders. Long and Quinn are both under contract for the near future and Quinn just had a DPOTY caliber year, he'll be extended without a doubt. So Clowney would be a luxury pick for the Rams.

They should either trade or take the top LT/OLB prospect. Their front 7 would improve more by adding a quality OLB than it would by adding Clowney.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Disillusionist posted:

Unless Quinn, Long or Clowney can play 4-3 DT then only two will be on the field at any given time. And both Long and Quinn were first round picks themselves; you don't spend the #2 overall pick on a guy who will rotate with two other first rounders. Long and Quinn are both under contract for the near future and Quinn just had a DPOTY caliber year, he'll be extended without a doubt. So Clowney would be a luxury pick for the Rams.

They should either trade or take the top LT/OLB prospect. Their front 7 would improve more by adding a quality OLB than it would by adding Clowney.

This is pretty much my argument. Take the top consensus LT and either move him to RT or shuffle the line around and have standout book ends on both sides of the ball, or take what amounts to a situational pass rusher...

Also I wouldn't think the Rams are in need of a QB unless the coaching staff is willing to burn two years developing someone other than bridgewater they stick with Bradford.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So there is about 0.5% chance that either Watkins or Evans are there at 18 huh?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Unless one of them fails a piss test or gets glassed in a bar fight, pretty much.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Atticus Finch posted:

Why would the Jags take Clowney if they desperately need a QB?

The two quickest answers would be, "Because they don't like whoever they slot as the #2 QB in the draft (Carr, Bortles, Manziel, whoever)" or "They see Clowney as the best player in the draft." That was the reasoning for taking Joeckel over any other top prospect when they picked him #2 last year; Joeckel was #1 on their board, and an opportunity to take who they thought was the best player coming out wasn't going to pass them by.

This could obviously all change between now and May; Clowney could catch the eye of the Texans, who see the opportunity to put him on the opposite side from JJ Watt, which likely means the Jags get Bridgewater. Another QB (see above names, Brett Hundley, etc) could shoot up the board between Bowls/All Star Games/Pro Days/Combines and the Jags would see the gap between Mystery QB and Clowney to be not nearly as big as many people view it currently. Dave Caldwell and Gus Bradley want a QB, and they know now with 110% certainty (through their own eyes) that Blaine Gabbert can't be the guy and neither can Chad Henne. The question becomes if they think there's someone in this draft (which they didn't last year; I'm perfectly happy with them completely avoiding the prospects who were available) that is worth the #3 pick.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

What's the current draft order?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Relentlessboredomm posted:

What's the current draft order?

Previous page.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=423772981&forumid=181

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Yep, just found it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Unless one of them fails a piss test or gets glassed in a bar fight, pretty much.
I don't think anyone knows that until the combine. Lets look at a mock from January 2013 and see how wildly innacurate it is.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/155116

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

thatguyclint posted:

The two quickest answers would be, "Because they don't like whoever they slot as the #2 QB in the draft (Carr, Bortles, Manziel, whoever)" or "They see Clowney as the best player in the draft." That was the reasoning for taking Joeckel over any other top prospect when they picked him #2 last year; Joeckel was #1 on their board, and an opportunity to take who they thought was the best player coming out wasn't going to pass them by.

In addition to this they just need good players period don't they? They're presumably set at LT and...I honestly don't know who else is good or expected to be good on that team. Shorts and Blackmon (if he fixes his life) at wideout I guess?

e: Posluszny too maybe. I haven't bothered to follow enough to see if he's still good

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 30, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Motherfuck, the Bucs got dropped to 7. Fuckin' lame.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

mcmagic posted:

Evans could maybe end up at around 18 if the WR-hungry teams ahead of them like Watkins and Lee better. It's a longshot but I wouldn't call it completely impossible.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

thatguyclint posted:

This could obviously all change between now and May; Clowney could catch the eye of the Texans, who see the opportunity to put him on the opposite side from JJ Watt, which likely means the Jags get Bridgewater. Another QB (see above names, Brett Hundley, etc) could shoot up the board between Bowls/All Star Games/Pro Days/Combines and the Jags would see the gap between Mystery QB and Clowney to be not nearly as big as many people view it currently. Dave Caldwell and Gus Bradley want a QB, and they know now with 110% certainty (through their own eyes) that Blaine Gabbert can't be the guy and neither can Chad Henne. The question becomes if they think there's someone in this draft (which they didn't last year; I'm perfectly happy with them completely avoiding the prospects who were available) that is worth the #3 pick.

Jags could still go QB, it's just their front office isn't as dumb as it once was. There's still the little matter of none of the free agent QBs namely, Vick or Cutler have signed extensions or anything yet. Who knows where dudes like Carr and McCarron are going to be after the combine.

It's still a crap shoot. Draft chat is fun and all, but it's hard to refute anyone's reasoning for picks before free agency and the big scouting events start.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Have no fear of the Ravens drafting a first round WR. Ozzie Newsome will take the Bama tackle if he can't trade back, and honestly I'm not sure I blame him. Adams or Matthews in the 2nd would be pretty alright. And if they're gone surely some value like Davante Parker or Brandon Coleman will be there come the third.

How can you tell if you're suffering from Stockholm syndrome?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Ravens blocking was also pretty atrocious this year, so I wouldn't really be opposed to them drafting OL in the early rounds if I were a fan but what do I know

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
I could see Vick on the Jags and then go Clowney. I've actually been hoping they take Clowney unless Bridgewater is available anyway.

Henne had proven he can at least manage the game which should suffice and the extra rush would help us out tremendously. I also think a good prospect will be available in the second round as it stands now.

My biggest concerns are what holes are we going to fill with the other rounds. I now it's a process and I frankly love Gus for what he did for Meester. I believe he's got a plan and we'll be in contention in three more seasons the latest.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Well, at 14, I think the Bears focus has to be on either the defensive line or secondary. This is going to be a very interesting offseason. There are so many moves that have to be made in free agency, that we could draft any number of positions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

As far as WRs go, only Nicks and Maclin are at the top of the FA market (possibly going to Carolina and KC respectively???), so any receiver-needy team is gonna look to the draft. Nicks was a major disappointment this year and Maclin is coming off a serious ACL tear.

I like Marquise Lee more than Sammy Watkins, but I can no longer doubt the legit speed of Clemson players after Spiller and Ellington have both fuckin turned on the jets in the NFL.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

As far as WRs go, only Nicks and Maclin are at the top of the FA market (possibly going to Carolina and KC respectively???), so any receiver-needy team is gonna look to the draft. Nicks was a major disappointment this year and Maclin is coming off a serious ACL tear.

I like Marquise Lee more than Sammy Watkins, but I can no longer doubt the legit speed of Clemson players after Spiller and Ellington have both fuckin turned on the jets in the NFL.

I'd probably end up with a full chub if the Panthers paid Nicks, Kenny Britt is also out there, though I doubt he commands the number one wideout marquee he used to after such a lovely season.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Is Maclin for sure going to leave Philly?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sataere posted:

Vick being a free agent will give them the spare cash to throw at him. Depends on how he fits with Kelly's long term vision and where he sees himself. So basically, no one really knows.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sataere posted:

I think it comes down to Philly and KC, but receiver is clearly a bigger need in Kansas City and Reid personally selected Maclin when most people thought the Eagles would take Knoshown Moreno (they ended up with LeSean McCoy in the 2nd round, a pretty good consolation prize huh?).

WR is kind of a need in Philly too, as they could do better than Cooper, but he seems to have found a comfortable niche in the offense. Instead they should look to replace Avant in the slot, and again, I'd look to the draft there.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I think it comes down to Philly and KC, but receiver is clearly a bigger need in Kansas City and Reid personally selected Maclin when most people thought the Eagles would take Knoshown Moreno (they ended up with LeSean McCoy in the 2nd round, a pretty good consolation prize huh?).

WR is kind of a need in Philly too, as they could do better than Cooper, but he seems to have found a comfortable niche in the offense. Instead they should look to replace Avant in the slot, and again, I'd look to the draft there.

Maybe DJax can move to the slot? He really struggles with CBs who can jam - just as he did tonight.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Any chance Philly tags Maclin?

Also is there any reason to take this seriously?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304701/article/teddy-bridgewater-a-secondrounder-afc-scout-says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think Bridgewater can put on some bulk and it won't be a problem. His game is in the pocket, I just think his athleticism is sneaky good and he hasn't had much of an opportunity to flash it. He made some moves in the bowl game that reminded me of Aaron Rodgers pulling some loving wizard sorcery escaping the pocket and throwing perfect teardrops.

• Locked thread