Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Ugg Snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

brickswereshat posted:

Having 2 or 3 identical guitars has a benefit for an extremely small subset of guitarists: the professionals.
We all wanted to be pros. We took studio work if we could get it (there was a FOX News show commercial for the Raleigh FOX affiliate that I played on back in the mid 90s, if you watched that station there back then, you heard me), I found people and started every kind of band we could think of: Prog Rock, Blues, Blues/Jazz Fusion, Radio Rock, Classic Rock, one-off festivals... We traveled a lot and made little to no money, but your playing is never better than when you've been gigging for months for three hours at a time and rehearsing three days a week. Anyone who's done it will tell you that standing on a stage and seeing people dancing or jumping is a rush, a very addictive feeling. When I wasn't playing, I was engineering or producing (or both) for friends' projects, and they often borrowed my gear.

Then reality hit and I got a real job and cut my hair and died a little.

There are still styles of music that I don't have the right guitars for, e.g. I need a Telecaster, and something loaded with P-90s. But every instrument you see, in spite of the resemblance in appearance, has a unique set of electronics and, as brickswereshat mentioned, several are in their own tunings. If my bassist calls me with a project, I know exactly which one I need, and which one to take as a backup.

Of the three working/once working guitarists I know, I have the smallest collection. :v:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

HollisBrown posted:

Jesus, I stopped following this thread after like the 3rd page. WTF happened in here?

DR Faustus what are your thoughts on Frank Zappa?

He was amazing in concert, but I never could sit through any of his albums. A friend of mine saw the phi zappa crappa show in N.Y. in like '68, but

Great thread, kids, keep it up!

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Of the three working/once working guitarists I know, I have the smallest collection. :v:

Nobody really cares how many guitars you own, only how pretentious you are about them. I mean gently caress, I have five sitting behind my couch but i don't pretend that my 1968 gibson falcon amplifier is any more special than a laptop and dsp running an amp modeler - if anything it is far more limited in potential and far more expensive to maintain than if i just sucked it up and bought a JBL box and a programmable modeling head.

and seriously, i can count on one hand the number of touring professionals i have encountered that had speakers in those 4x12 cabs stacked behind them. poo poo is set dressing and nothing more, computers do all the hard work and extra guitars are just for changing tunings - those modelers can make a strat sound like a humbucking les paul and you wouldn't know the difference if you didn't see it with your own eyes.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

thelightguy posted:

and seriously, i can count on one hand the number of touring professionals i have encountered that had speakers in those 4x12 cabs stacked behind them. poo poo is set dressing and nothing more

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

thelightguy posted:

Nobody really cares how many guitars you own, only how pretentious you are about them. I mean gently caress, I have five sitting behind my couch but i don't pretend that my 1968 gibson falcon amplifier is any more special than a laptop and dsp running an amp modeler - if anything it is far more limited in potential and far more expensive to maintain than if i just sucked it up and bought a JBL box and a programmable modeling head.

and seriously, i can count on one hand the number of touring professionals i have encountered that had speakers in those 4x12 cabs stacked behind them. poo poo is set dressing and nothing more, computers do all the hard work and extra guitars are just for changing tunings - those modelers can make a strat sound like a humbucking les paul and you wouldn't know the difference if you didn't see it with your own eyes.

It has never been my intention to be pretentious. I think it's sorta inevitable to come off that way when every comment aimed in your direction is a direct challenge to justify your purchase of and love for your instruments. I sing their praises because I love them and I defend them for the same reason.

I think it's more pretentious to preach about your "insider backstage knowledge" as if we've never hung around after a show and seen the men behind the curtain, or read interviews or watched lengthy YouTube videos dissecting every guitarist's rig in excruciating detail, from guitar to backline. No matter how much you like it, I will never put a computer between myself and my audience if I care about an authentic tone. If I don't, no prob I have a PODHD, let's jam.

It's also very funny how many people claim "nobody cares" about this or that, or that I don't know how I'm really being treated in this thread as if it isn't clearly obvious to everyone that they do, in fact, care enough to post and I know exactly what's going on here. It's GBS 2.1, realposters need not apply.

So I'm realposting. All I have to do is remain earnest and honest and it's infuriating people.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Dr. Faustus posted:

It has never been my intention to be pretentious. I think it's sorta inevitable to come off that way when every comment aimed in your direction is a direct challenge to justify your purchase of and love for your instruments. I sing their praises because I love them and I defend them for the same reason.

I think it's more pretentious to preach about your "insider backstage knowledge" as if we've never hung around after a show and seen the men behind the curtain, or read interviews or watched lengthy YouTube videos dissecting every guitarist's rig in excruciating detail, from guitar to backline. No matter how much you like it, I will never put a computer between myself and my audience if I care about an authentic tone. If I don't, no prob I have a PODHD, let's jam.

It's also very funny how many people claim "nobody cares" about this or that, or that I don't know how I'm really being treated in this thread as if it isn't clearly obvious to everyone that they do, in fact, care enough to post and I know exactly what's going on here. It's GBS 2.1, realposters need not apply.

So I'm realposting. All I have to do is remain earnest and honest and it's infuriating people.

This is funny to me.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

smh

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

I bet he stuffs his spandex too.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CannedMacabre posted:

I bet he stuffs his spandex too.
Look at the tubes glowing in those ENGLs. I love that glow. Don't you?

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Look at the tubes glowing in those ENGLs. I love that glow. Don't you?

no because i'm not that fascinated by 140 year old technology

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Dr Faustus you're like some autism imbued terminator that was sent back in time to kill any humor related to music

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

um, did that dude give himself an avatar based on this thread? if so, loving weak. also, you have to say beetlejuice three times for him to appear you dumb oval office.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

i unironically use danelectro pedals and duncan designed pickups come at me bro

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

thelightguy posted:

I work live production as well and this is all pretty much true, most guitarists will have one cab just to mic and everything else is DI'd.

Also if you're the lighting guy stop wasting time looking at audio poo poo and hang your loving lights already.

Sincerely: A guy who is always waiting on the lighting guys.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

thelightguy posted:

i used to play in a lovely d-beat band with a yamaha pacifica and a black coffee pedal into a crate bass combo it totally owned

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

i used to play in a lovely d-beat band with a yamaha pacifica and a black coffee pedal into a crate bass combo it totally owned

We were all teenagers once

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

We were all teenagers once

like i said it toally owned

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

thelightguy posted:

Nobody cares how many guitars you have (but I have five right here behind my couch but I only bring it up because...)

bunky posted:

um, did that dude give himself an avatar based on this thread? if so, loving weak. also, you have to say beetlejuice three times for him to appear you dumb oval office.

You don't like it? Aw, that hurts. Don't begrudge Lowtax his $5.oo.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dr Faustus you're like some autism imbued terminator that was sent back in time to kill any humor related to music

Come with me if you want to live.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 30, 2013

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

i like it because it was my joke you dork.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nobody cares how many guitars you have (but I have five right here behind my couch but I only bring it up because...)

Come with me if you want to live.

hold on let me take a picture of all of them because

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Dr. Faustus posted:

every comment aimed in your direction is a direct challenge

All I have to do is remain earnest and honest and it's infuriating people.

No one in this thread is challenging you. No one is infuriated. Everyone is just encouraging you to keep embarrassing yourself in your weird and desperate attempt to prove...well, who knows what exactly. It was funny for a couple of days, but it's getting a little depressing now.

No one is actually outraged by your collection or how you spend your money. The world isn't out to get you, because you're not that important. And the reason you feel like you're winning is because you're the only one playing whatever game you imagine is being played. Seriously, just relax and have a beer and don't get so wound up over such irrelevant poo poo. You may get weirdly uptight about stuff, but I have a hunch you're probably an okay guy when you aren't tripping over trigger warnings. Give yourself a break for Christs sake.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

thelightguy posted:

hold on let me take a picture of all of them because
because:
a) I have renter's insurance and I might need the picture in case I get burglarized or the place burns down or
b) People on the internet like to share pictures of their gear (see the longest thread in ML)

Frankenstyle posted:

No one in this thread is challenging you. No one is infuriated.

You're reading a different thread than I am, friend.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

you can't be embarrassed if you have an utter inability to conceive of what others are thinking or feeling. i think there is a word for that...

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

You're reading a different thread than I am, friend.

Yeah. I guess I am.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah. I guess I am.
Just look at the post above yours.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

wau

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

this thread is so lovely that i want to throw my guitar off a cliff and cut off my hands so that i never turn out even close to faustus, professional old rear end boring dude guitarist

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
hello dr fastuuususu remember this post

Dr. Faustus posted:

I didn't want this to get lost because I effort-posted really hard, guys, so here it is one last time and I'm done.

That's my last post. Thank you and goodnight.

youre a loving liar and nobody gives a poo poo about you. go away forever, thanks in advamce.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Earlier in the thread I posted one of the guitars I actually owned as a teenager a Roland 707, I totally forgot about this other monstrosity that I owned, as ugly as it looks it was pretty loving dreamy to play.

Photex fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

• Locked thread