Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

It's a little hit and miss but there are some good ones.

Not liking You Made It Weird is fine, imo, especially because Pete has a hard time straying away from his own interests. I like it but Real Pete is a very insecure man who can be very shallow sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic

ImPureAwesome posted:

I love Pete but I wish I liked his podcast more. The 1 on 1 interview format killed it for me when I tried a few.

YMIW used to be my favorite podcast and i listened to every episode. in the past year or so i think the quality of the show has gone downhill dramatically. You can probably chalk it up to him devoting most of his energy toward his TV show since he's been talking about that for over a year now. I think you could probably draw a line in quality in the podcast that would be inversely proportional to his overall success.

I think as a starting point to seeing what is or was so great about YMIW you have to look at the first 50 or so episodes. I would recommend:
Emily Gordon #22
Kumail Nanjiani #1
Bill Burr #23
Greg Fitzsimmons #29
Kyle Kinane #30
Duncan Trussel #36
Shelby Fero #45
Tommy Johnagin #69
Kulap Vilaysack's #68 episodes as You Made It Weird in its prime.

there have been a ton of great episodes after that and even some of the more recent ones can still be occasionally great, but there was definitely a period where the show was on a roll where i thought that every episode was gold.

Yes, Pete won't stop talking, yes, you will have to get used to his laugh, yes, a million other things but if you stick with it it can have some of the most interesting stories, honest open moments of humanity, and laugh out loud hilarious moments i've ever heard in a podcast. I love Pete Holmes.

Greg Proops though. gently caress that guy.

Fieryspork fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 22, 2013

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fieryspork posted:

Greg Proops though. gently caress that guy.

Too far dude, too far. Greg is great.

I'm probably in the minority but I think my favorite YMiW is the one with Bert Kreischer.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Chris Thayer and Joe Hartzler are both great YMIW episodes with lesser-known comedians also. As well as all of the live episodes, as Pete gets less opportunities to monologue and instead gets relentlessly sniped by his guests.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

I'm probably in the minority but I think my favorite YMiW is the one with Bert Kreischer.

That's my favourite one as well.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Bill Burr breaking Pete Holmes down is one of my favorite things.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I really enjoyed the Jon Mulaney episode. It was two insecure guys having a weird talk. It was very real.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
For any famous person that I like, the podcast I most enjoy hearing them on is YMIW - I guess there's something about a guy being aggressively open with you for 2 hours that makes people open up themselves. Plus I feel like Pete (while he can be a little self-obsessed) does genuinely love the art of conversation, which always makes for a good listen. Some more recent-ish good episodes are Casey Wilson, Chris Gethard and John Hodgman. Any episode with Chelsea Peretti is always terrific, especially the second one.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

ImPureAwesome posted:

I love Pete but I wish I liked his podcast more. The 1 on 1 interview format killed it for me when I tried a few.

I used to listen to it a lot, but then it just got bumped to the back of the queue behind about 10 others. It makes sense to me based on his usual persona that his DLM persons is an obnoxious joke.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll try it again soon, I do wanna like it

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

De Nomolos posted:

I'm the only person who likes him. Guess I won't see you at The Whistling Banes.

I can't stand Pete Holmes. Does he purposefully try to ruin every episode he's on? Is that his bit?

I don't understand the industry's love for Pete. He has never been funny in anything I've seen or heard him in.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

what thread is this?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

You know who I don't like on DLM? Jordan. Him and his stupid baseball. Who does he think he is? What does his baseball think it is?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

You know who I don't like on DLM? Jordan. Him and his stupid baseball. Who does he think he is? What does his baseball think it is?

he doesn't bring the baseball anymore I don't think.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Bring Back Pang

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Binowru posted:

I feel like it's been forever since I've heard Sean Cullen, but goddamn if he's not hilarious every single time

I'm about halfway through that one, and I don't think I'm going to make it all the way. I don't know what it is, but I can't stand that guy.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Wow it's true, there's always someone that hates any comic on the show, no matter how unlikely. Did someone really say they didn't like PFT?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Wow it's true, there's always someone that hates any comic on the show, no matter how unlikely. Did someone really say they didn't like PFT?

I usually like him but I feel like he contributed nothing to this last 12 guests of xmas episode.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
^^ Nice. ^^

The Christmastime Jews episode was perfectly pleasant but I forgot it completely about 5 minutes after listening to it.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Best thing about that episode was the reminder to watch Silverman's new HBO special which was pretty okay.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Timett posted:

Best thing about that episode was the reminder to watch Silverman's new HBO special which was pretty okay.

I watched it the other day and that's my assessment as well. It didn't blow me away, but I didn't wish I hadn't watched it either. It's not going to convert anybody, but for fans of hers it's enjoyable enough.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
No more "two-Oceans-X"!

loving YES

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

No more "two-Oceans-X"!

loving YES

There really isn't a single thing about this show that someone in this thread doesn't hate, is there?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Mola Yam posted:

No more "two-Oceans-X"!

loving YES

Do you actually think he's not opening the next show with 2 Ocean's Fourteen

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mob posted:

Do you actually think he's not opening the next show with 2 Ocean's Fourteen

I hope with every fiber of my being that he does.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Conduit for Sale! posted:

There really isn't a single thing about this show that someone in this thread doesn't hate, is there?

I never even notice it anymore but there's now nothing I want more than "2-Oceans-14".

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

No more "two-Oceans-X"!

loving YES

He's said a couple times that he's going to continue doing it past 2013 so ha!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I usually skip the first 30-60 seconds, maybe dropping in for the corrections department, but I will have to check if he uses it.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This Tony Camin dude is pretty obnoxious :^I

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Initially I chalked it up to him being a guest that smoked before the show when he really shouldn't have.... But then I looked him up and he's the third guy from The Marijuanalogues. So that's no excuse for acting literally retarded after smoking.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Reformed Pissboy posted:

At Bumbershoot this year, this guy opened for a bunch of the comedy shows so I ended up hearing this guy do the same terrible 5 minute set four times in one day. For a guy with 20 years doing comedy, you'd think he would have more than 5 minutes acceptable material but it turns out he doesn't.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Good to hear that I wasn't the only one who had trouble with appreciating a terrible guest. He wasn't even fun bad. I liked that he got heckled though.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Went to the DLM taping at the Orlando Improv tonight. It was a great show. I was worried about who the guests would be, but Doug pulled together a good bunch. Went with two friends who were unfamiliar with the podcast, and they both enjoyed it very much. Sat pretty close to the stage. A ton of people brought name tags and the house was packed. Hopefully this encourages him back soon. It'll be interesting to see how what I saw translates into a podcast.

Guests: Graham Elwood, Harland Williams, Samm Levine.

There was no whistling.

There was, however, a moment that won't translate into the podcast at all. At one point, Graham shouts, "You rear end in a top hat!" This is because Samm threw a box of cookies to a table near the stage. The box burst open mid-flight, and perfectly showered the people at the table in cookies. Doug proceeded to stomp on the cookies on the floor, rendering them inedible. It all brought down the house.

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 6, 2014

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
What is with Doug's obsession with smashing desserts?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

What is with Doug's obsession with smashing desserts?

Ease up. He obviously has an eating disorder.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RetroHelix posted:

Went to the DLM taping at the Orlando Improv tonight. It was a great show. I was worried about who the guests would be, but Doug pulled together a good bunch. Went with two friends who were unfamiliar with the podcast, and they both enjoyed it very much. Sat pretty close to the stage. A ton of people brought name tags and the house was packed. Hopefully this encourages him back soon. It'll be interesting to see how what I saw translates into a podcast.

Guests: Graham Elwood, Harland Williams, Samm Levine.

There was no whistling.

There was, however, a moment that won't translate into the podcast at all. At one point, Graham shouts, "You rear end in a top hat!" This is because Samm threw a box of cookies to a table near the stage. The box burst open mid-flight, and perfectly showered the people at the table in cookies. Doug proceeded to stomp on the cookies on the floor, rendering them inedible. It all brought down the house.

I was at the same show. Had a great time, and I was also rather impressed with how good of a lineup he pulled together for an Orlando show.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Just a reminder that Getting Doug with High returns today.

Guests are Matt Besser AND Howard Kremer.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

urk the quack posted:

Just a reminder that Getting Doug with High returns today.

Guests are Matt Besser AND Howard Kremer.

Really wish I could watch it live, too bad I have places to be at 4:20

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Howard Kremer is adorably awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Howard Kremer is adorably awkward.

You might even say he's adorkable.

• Locked thread