Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Does anyone else find that the app drawer in Action Launcher is a little jerky to open up? It's like it has a bit of hesitation half way through the slide open animation.

I thought it was my old Galaxy Nexus, but it's doing the same on my new Moto X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone else find that the app drawer in Action Launcher is a little jerky to open up? It's like it has a bit of hesitation half way through the slide open animation.

I thought it was my old Galaxy Nexus, but it's doing the same on my new Moto X.

It's fine on my S3 while opening, but very stuttery when closing. Although, when I was using the 1-Swipe feature I seem to remember it being slower to open.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is the go to irc client these days?
yaaic or andchat seems popular enough. Quassel is nice if you have a shell somewhere.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If anyone cares, Appgratis has an ad-free version of Car Dashdroid for free today. Pretty decent app from what I've seen so far.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

grack posted:

If anyone cares, Appgratis has an ad-free version of Car Dashdroid for free today. Pretty decent app from what I've seen so far.

You don't need to install Appgratis for this. If you have the app, or download it from the play store, you just use coupon code appgratis in the app settings to unlock the no-ads upgrade.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You don't need to install Appgratis for this. If you have the app, or download it from the play store, you just use coupon code appgratis in the app settings to unlock the no-ads upgrade.

True but I wouldn't have known it was free otherwise.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I gotta say, that Car Dashdroid has some terribly god awful screenshots. What is the appeal of this?

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Is there an app (root or otherwise) that will let me AirPlay video to my AppleTV?

Really I just want the 'airplay' icon added to the youtube app.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is it just me or has Google step-by-step voiced navigation been lacking recently. Instead of saying, "Take a slight right on 6th ave" it now says, "Take a slight right". What happened to the detail and is there a fix to this / alternative navigation app?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Spekkio posted:

Is there an app (root or otherwise) that will let me AirPlay video to my AppleTV?

I use this app for that very purpose. It IS a separate app, and not an add on to the existing YouTube app though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zappotvapple

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Is there a good to do list widget?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spekkio posted:

Koush's AllCast works on everything except ChromeCast (which is more locked down than Apple, open always wins).

TheCombatWombat
Feb 23, 2001

Woodsy Owl posted:

I've been using wunderlist for my to do needs and it has a widget that works fairly well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

big mean giraffe posted:

Apparently battery text % is in Kit Kat but hidden by default, but this app can enable it, even on a stock unrooted device. Working great on my MAXX, but it only does white, so on phones with white battery bars it only really works at lower battery levels.

FTR, this isn't working for my on my HTC One. I suspect it only works on 4.4 devices that use the stock Android battery percentage meter.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

FTR, this isn't working for my on my HTC One. I suspect it only works on 4.4 devices that use the stock Android battery percentage meter.
That would be a near certainty.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Conventional wisdom does imply that something that only works on 4.4 only works on 4.4, yes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Conventional wisdom does imply that something that only works on 4.4 only works on 4.4, yes.

The dev edition of the One is on 4.4, just not 4.4.2.

Edit: For the record, I didn't have any real hopes it would work, just wondering IF it did, what it would look like, since the battery meter in Sense is horizontal, not vertical. But it isn't white, so the numbers would at least be readable...other than the formatting issue of said horizontal battery bar.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

The dev edition of the One is on 4.4, just not 4.4.2.

Edit: For the record, I didn't have any real hopes it would work, just wondering IF it did, what it would look like, since the battery meter in Sense is horizontal, not vertical. But it isn't white, so the numbers would at least be readable...other than the formatting issue of said horizontal battery bar.

Stuff like this is hilariously reminiscent of the mid-90s PC landscape. We're not futzing with drivers or direct memory access on our phones, but the hopeless hardware fragmentation and multiple decimal point versions is giving me some real 386/DOS 5 flashbacks.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Woodsy Owl posted:

Google Keep. It syncs with your Drive account. It supports list re-organizing, photos, basic notes, and reminders. I love this service, more people should know about it.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 30, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Midjack posted:

Stuff like this is hilariously reminiscent of the mid-90s PC landscape. We're not futzing with drivers or direct memory access on our phones, but the hopeless hardware fragmentation and multiple decimal point versions is giving me some real 386/DOS 5 flashbacks.
But he doesn't have an Android phone, he has a Sense phone. If he had an Android phone it would work fine.

e: vvv Not a bad analogy, actually. Of course just like then we now also have Apple doing things much, much better.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 30, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

But he doesn't have an Android phone, he has a Sense phone. If he had an Android phone it would work fine.

MSDOS vs DRDOS

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I gotta say, that Car Dashdroid has some terribly god awful screenshots. What is the appeal of this?

I got it just because, and you're right. It's disgusting.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Re car docks Ultimate Car Dock is */nearly/* great for in the car, though not quite 100% yet, hopefully it gets there.

I thought I'd mention it seeing as my Action Launcher shout a few pages back went down well with EVERYONE.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've got a Galaxy Nexus as a dedicated Play Music thing connected to my receiver.

Is there an app that will do a screensaver with album art or something so I don't burn the Play Music UI in to the screen? Of course, I could set the screen to turn off, but I want to make it as easy as possible for someone to walk by and change the track as well as making it readily apparent that it's not someone's phone just sitting on the entertainment center, but is the music player.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a Galaxy Nexus as a dedicated Play Music thing connected to my receiver.

Is there an app that will do a screensaver with album art or something so I don't burn the Play Music UI in to the screen? Of course, I could set the screen to turn off, but I want to make it as easy as possible for someone to walk by and change the track as well as making it readily apparent that it's not someone's phone just sitting on the entertainment center, but is the music player.

Do you have the content uploaded to google play and does your receiver do HDMI? If so, I would pickup a chromecast as it does exactly that. After 30 seconds it goes to a small view of the album art and album information that moves around the screen.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know about animated cover art, but I'm pretty sure there's a few audio visualisers that show artist/track name.
May be a bit too winamp/milkdrop/disco for what you want though.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
A few questions:

1. Are there any car docks out there that are compatible with a Droid Maxx Otterbox Defender? My search of their site and the usual e-shopping sites as well as Google are yielding nothing. drat the Droid Razr Maxx and all its overlapping results!

2. Is there an app that will send phone calls through my PC when my phone is plugged in via USB? When I'm at home I usually have my nice comfy headset on and it would be pretty nice.

3. I'm finally starting to use Tasker. Is there a way to get it to recognize multiple states as criteria for for a profile? E.g., "When not on Derek's home wifi and Not plugged in" --> Tasks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Derek Dominoe posted:

3. I'm finally starting to use Tasker. Is there a way to get it to recognize multiple states as criteria for for a profile? E.g., "When not on Derek's home wifi and Not plugged in" --> Tasks.
Long press the existing condition and you'll get a menu with an Add option.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Derek Dominoe posted:

A few questions:

1. Are there any car docks out there that are compatible with a Droid Maxx Otterbox Defender? My search of their site and the usual e-shopping sites as well as Google are yielding nothing. drat the Droid Razr Maxx and all its overlapping results!

2. Is there an app that will send phone calls through my PC when my phone is plugged in via USB? When I'm at home I usually have my nice comfy headset on and it would be pretty nice.

1: Try searching for Droid Ultra Maxx or XT1080M

2: No, I don't think that is possible but I think you can do it with bluetooth to your PC.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

f#a# posted:

Google Keep. It syncs with your Drive account. It supports list re-organizing, photos, basic notes, and reminders. I love this service, more people should know about it.

I really love Google Keep I just wish it would let you have multiple categories like the old Google Notebook. I know you can tag with colours but it's annoying having todo items mixed in with snippets of articles, photos, etc.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

fuf posted:

I really love Google Keep I just wish it would let you have multiple categories like the old Google Notebook. I know you can tag with colours but it's annoying having todo items mixed in with snippets of articles, photos, etc.

Google Keep is designed to be a replacement for post-it notes. I think their design for it is to be simple and quick, for those times you just need to jot something down. if you want a deeper notebook app, you can try Evernote or OneNote, both are extremely mature and excellent platforms.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Derek Dominoe posted:

I think if you forward your phone number to your Google Voice number, and you'll get calls through Hangouts in the browser.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Do you guys know of a way to trick an app into thinking it's running on a tablet instead of a phone? I'm rooted and running CM.

I want to use the tablet version of the spotify app as it allows you to choose exact songs for free on mobile now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Aardvark Barber posted:

Do you guys know of a way to trick an app into thinking it's running on a tablet instead of a phone? I'm rooted and running CM.

I want to use the tablet version of the spotify app as it allows you to choose exact songs for free on mobile now.

I believe AKOP or Paranoid Android has that functionality. You could probably modify your build.prop file to tell the OS you were a tablet, but there's not an app I know of that can do it on the fly.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think if you forward your phone number to your Google Voice number, and you'll get calls through Hangouts in the browser.

This is or should be true, it happened to me a couple weeks ago and surprised me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

big mean giraffe posted:

This is or should be true, it happened to me a couple weeks ago and surprised me.
I've got this set up and also an Obi100 so if I'm at my desk and get a call, my browser, desk phone and cell phone all ring at the same time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I've got this set up and also an Obi100 so if I'm at my desk and get a call, my browser, desk phone and cell phone all ring at the same time.

Obi support is ending soon. Unless you have sip service with someone else and you forward your Google voice number to it too

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Lowen SoDium posted:

Obi support is ending soon. Unless you have sip service with someone else and you forward your Google voice number to it too
I know. They'd better get Voice integrated with Hangouts before then or I'll…continue to use Google services anyway.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Just use something with Daydream assuming you leave it charging the whole time. Play Music doesn't have a daydream mode itself but a simple tap will drop you wherever you left it before it idled out.

Edit: Comedy daydream https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kalicinscy.wallpaper.seedsoflife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just use something with Daydream assuming you leave it charging the whole time. Play Music doesn't have a daydream mode itself but a simple tap will drop you wherever you left it before it idled out.

Edit: Comedy daydream https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kalicinscy.wallpaper.seedsoflife

Good idea.

How'd you get to be so smart?

• Locked thread