Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9el2lg2olpE

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the ibanez jem is the udo dirkschneider of the guitar universe

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
yo that surfboard guitar guy probably owns

Dec 26, 2012

he definitely owns

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
its a loving surfboard

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

01011001 posted:

he definitely owns

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You make an image macro and post, because you just don't care. I'm buying how little you care. Really, I am.

Sorry, I don't recognize this thing, you'll have to explain it to me.

Ootrek posted:

hello dr fastuuususu remember this post

Xen Tricks posted:

I understand fully how they work, I know how circuits make sound, but I don't understand how you can't replicate/improve that with effects. It's like saying "Yeah I modified the oscillator and amp circuit to make sounds you can't possibly replicate" when you could just throw something in front of it in the circuit line and do the same. If you'd like to explain how your electrical magic works i'm sure we'd all be interested.

Also I went back to look at your guitar collection picture and jesus lol I didn't realize how it looked. You have like 6 guitars that look the same, a handled abortion, two first-act looking acoustics, and I guess one alright looking one. Great line up for 27 years.

quote:

Dr. Faustus posted:
No it's cool, I'll help you out then I'm done:

You cannot put a pedal in front of a guitar that, say, adds or quarters the resistance (gain/distortion) of a dual-coil pickup. You can try, but it won't act the same on every pickup, as all the coils have discrete resistances. With me so far?
So you can wire a series/parallel switch in somewhere that does that for you. This gives you full series gain, like a Gibson Les Paul, or 1/4 gain in parallel, like a Fender Stratocaster, all in one guitar, in one pickup. But when you fiddle with that, you can lose treble when you roll off the volume pot, so you need a capacitor to act as a high-pass filter to roll the lows off to ground. This keeps the pickup bright, not muddy, as you roll off the volume and thereby back off the gain/distortion, giving you a bright clean tone without channel-switching your amplifier.
But each pickup is different, so you need a capacitor that rolls off the lows at just the right frequencies to work with your particular amplifiers. Each pickup/amp combination requires different capacitors and resistors. It's a painstaking process but it's cheap. Every one of my dual-coil pickups, with a few exceptions, has this mod performed for my gear, by me.

There simply does not exist a pedal that can replicate this fundamental interplay between the amp and the guitar. No volume pedal, no gain pedal, nothing will do the same job.

My acoustics that you just mocked as "first-act?" One is a run-of-the-mill Breedlove acoustic which sounds amazing. The other is a 1938 Martin Orchestra Model that my Dad's Dad bought from Mel Bay (THAT Mel Bay) in St. Louis, MO, back in 1938. It's an honest-to-God Depression Era Martin. The one they eventually called the 0000, or dreadnaught. I wonder if you can appreciate what that means.

All of the other instruments have different body woods, pickups, neck woods, finishes, and a couple have hard-tail bridges (my preference). With the mods described above, they each have their own voices. They have their own attack, sustain, decay, and timbre. They each react to my amps in their own, distinctive ways. They look similar, but to a trained ear they are vastly different, and in trained hands they speak differently.

It's not voodoo or audiophile nonsense, it's distinct and it's real and anyone who tried could discern the differences.

And to me, they are all beautiful.

That's my last post. Thank you and goodnight.
youre a loving liar and nobody gives a poo poo about you. go away forever, thanks in advamce.

Oops. I lied. I was just waiting for GBS poster Xen Tricks to consider the answer to their question.

Nobody gives a poo poo, as you insist; but you can't resist hitting the REPLY button, non-poo poo-givers, like you. Can you resist? Do you want to resist? Tell me in advamce.

comes along bort posted:

the ibanez jem is the first huge leap in solid-body guitar technology.
I agree.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 30, 2013

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

dude, you gotta stop and go away for ever. seriously, its the only way. Please shut up.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fonzarelli posted:

dude, you gotta stop and go away for ever. seriously, its the only way. Please shut up.
Sorry, Arthur. Learn to control the urge to hit REPLY and this can all stop. But you don't want that. You're jumping the shark.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry, Arthur. Learn to control the urge to hit REPLY and this can all stop. But you don't want that. You're jumping the shark.

LMAO!!!!

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
i changed my mind, annoyingly persistent human being who is incapable of dealing with criticism Dr. Fatsutusu is actually my favorite poster on the internet, plus he's super good at playing weedly weedly wah on the electric guitar.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Ootrek posted:

i changed my mind, annoyingly persistent human being who is incapable of dealing with criticism Dr. Fatsutusu is actually my favorite poster on the internet, plus he's super good at playing weedly weedly wah on the electric guitar.

also has the rhythm of a metrenome

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

That Genuine Stank posted:

also has the rhythm of a metrenome

thats a tall gnome

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
how long till the good doctor goes full puppet master on us?

Content:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

oh god get a load of this guy, he totally got me

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Fonzarelli posted:

oh god get a load of this guy, he totally got me

u just got burned like u never been burned before lmao great burns by dr.fatso tonight

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

Learn to control the urge to hit REPLY and this can all stop.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

fixed your super huge image

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

joats posted:

fixed your super huge image

is it a super-huge image? or is it a huge image that is super

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
The image is too big for my screen so I can not appreciate the beauty of the guitar.

Edit - I never noticed that chick in the board hole though.

Edit - Edit - or is that a guy?

Dec 26, 2012

international owl day posted:

is it a super-huge image? or is it a huge image that is super

yes

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

^that

international owl day posted:

u just got burned like u never been burned before lmao great burns by dr.fatso tonight

truly a burn master did u see how he called out my not caring lmaoooooo

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

thelightguy posted:

truly a burn master did u see how he called out my not caring lmaoooooo

that poo poo was unbelievable that poo poo is totally my new poo poo

Odinsgrace
Dec 29, 2013

comes along bort posted:

this one's ugly as sin too

I actually see this bass all the time. Its really popular for some awful reason.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jedrick posted:

how long till the good doctor goes full puppet master on us?

check back several iterations of the wall of text replies, it's buried in there somewhere

Odinsgrace posted:

I actually see this bass all the time. Its really popular for some awful reason.

i think one of the dudes from fleetwood mac or whitesnake played one

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

that black acoustic with the white buttprint is pretty ugly

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Odinsgrace posted:

that dude pink floyd played one of those and then it caught on

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

axolotl farmer posted:

that black acoustic with the white buttprint is pretty ugly

some are okay and others are ugly, but the truly hideous thing is the music that's made with them

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

comes along bort posted:

some are okay and others are ugly, but the truly hideous thing is the music that's made with them

I just don't know why he has so many of the same god drat guitar!! I hope he can explain that poo poo. How many Vai-ish guitars does a man that isn't steve vai need??

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

comes along bort posted:

unless you're into borderline menopause rough trade, shredding hot leads don't get the undergarments wet like they used to

take up rap or something

acoustic guitar still works as well as it always has though (provided you are also attractive and can sing)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

saganite posted:

acoustic guitar still works as well as it always has though (provided you are also attractive and can sing)

jamming some dave out on the quad and nailing tri-delt chubsters is america's favorite pastime

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

comes along bort posted:

jamming some dave out on the quad and nailing tri-delt chubsters is america's favorite pastime

I'm sure that works as well, but I don't gently caress fat or chubby chicks and I've gotten some high quality tail playing acoustic guitar

tbf I don't look half bad and I've got a decent baritone with a very strong low end that they seem to like a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

saganite posted:

I'm sure that works as well, but I don't gently caress fat or chubby chicks

you don't know what you're missing

• Locked thread