Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Elysiume posted:

I'm currently stuck in a mission where I'm at the extraction point with a datamass and it just keeps saying "bring all 4 datamass objects to extraction!" I covered the entire map with another player and once we went from the finish to the start and back again, he gave up and left. Did the game bug out, or am I missing something?

You picked up all the data masses with the one you started off with, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
It doesn't state outright but you can pick up multiple datamasses even if you have one in hand.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

seiferguy posted:

You picked up all the data masses with the one you started off with, right?

InfinityComplex posted:

It doesn't state outright but you can pick up multiple datamasses even if you have one in hand.
I was carrying the only datamass we'd found. I feel like when the host left, he must have taken datamasses with him or dropped them somewhere weird.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I was carrying the only datamass we'd found. I feel like when the host left, he must have taken datamasses with him or dropped them somewhere weird.

It should waypoint a datamass that gets dropped, and someone leaving should automatically drop a datamass they're holding. Keyword "should" because host migrations still break the game pretty often.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

So ammo/reload mods don't do as much as the four elemental mods, but more than the combo mods.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Elysiume posted:

Each time you activate a waypoint, another data mass comes up and you can combine them with your current one. It is, however, highly possible the game is broken with how buggy the game is.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Oh man, I have no idea how you got those numbers. Like, a bunch of them don't even make any sense. You can't just say that a boost in magazine size corresponds to some numerical increase in DPS, since that will be dependent on both fire rate and reload time.

Quick example, in a hypothetical scenario where your reload time is less than your fire delay, magazine size has no effect on your overall damage, since reloading doesn't interrupt firing.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Valatar posted:

Useful info

On my Soma right now I'm using all 4 elemental mods (for blast+corrosive), serration, split chamber, crit chance and crit damage.

I still have some energy/points/whatever left on the weapon, is increased serration/base damage always best?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Male Man posted:

Oh man, I have no idea how you got those numbers. Like, a bunch of them don't even make any sense. You can't just say that a boost in magazine size corresponds to some numerical increase in DPS, since that will be dependent on both fire rate and reload time.

Quick example, in a hypothetical scenario where your reload time is less than your fire delay, magazine size has no effect on your overall damage, since reloading doesn't interrupt firing.

He's also not taking into account the whole combined elemental damage type thing, depending on the enemy. For example Blast makes a huge difference vs Grineer.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

The phased vauban skin can make your frame look really odd with the mismatch between the head and body
before

after

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
That's honestly really frustrating - I wish all the alt helmets for a frame supported the different body "types" (Prime, Phased, there's nothing else I guess).

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You get a phased helmet too.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Male Man posted:

[EDIT: Derp, I belatedly realized that you're right, I had set up equations with the incorrect assumption that time to empty a mag and time to reload were fixed, when in fact they're variable depending on the individual weapon. However, boost in magazine size does equate to a numerical increase in DPS; it ups the shooting to reloading time ratio. It's just that the specific DPS boost varies from gun to gun, which I hosed up and failed to take into account.]

Fuzz posted:

He's also not taking into account the whole combined elemental damage type thing, depending on the enemy. For example Blast makes a huge difference vs Grineer.

This is true. In some cases (blast/corrosion vs. ancients) the elemental bonus percentage is huge.

Valatar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 30, 2013

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Valatar posted:

Mag size does correspond to an increase in DPS. Take an imaginary gun that has 100 rounds and fires 10 shots per second and takes 10 seconds to reload, doing 1 damage per bullet. It fires for 10 seconds, then takes another 10 seconds to reload. The time it takes to empty the mag and reload is 20 seconds, during which time you'll have done 100 damage, working out to 5 DPS. You mod the magazine up to 140 rounds. Now the gun fires for 14 seconds before taking 10 seconds to reload. The time it takes to empty the mag and reload is now 24 seconds, during which time you'll have done 140 damage, working out to 5.83 DPS, or a 16.7% increase. This number assumes that you're just holding down the trigger until you run dry, which only really happens when things are hitting the fan; someone firing and reloading more casually is not going to see a DPS increase from magazine size as they'll probably be reloading before they empty the mag.

It doesn't correspond to a static increase in DPS. Run your situation again for a fire rate of 1 round/sec and it goes from .91 DPS to .93 DPS, an increase of 2.7%.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Jesus christ, Penta. I just made it to Wave 15 of an Orokin Derelict defense mission by pointing the gun at the cryopod and pushing the trigger a lot.

I only stopped then because I thought it was offering me a boar prime part I didn't have.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Male Man posted:

It doesn't correspond to a static increase in DPS. Run your situation again for a fire rate of 1 round/sec and it goes from .91 DPS to .93 DPS, an increase of 2.7%.

Yeah, I belatedly realized that in the middle of a mobile defense mission. It's what I deserve for trying to work up a mathematical model for DPS while playing a video game.

On an unrelated note, people should go here and boost up the topic for adding UI elements into the game for saving and quickly switching weapon and frame loadouts. The whole damage 2.0 thing was clearly meant to force players to use specific loadouts for specific missions, but the game has such a crap interface that it just winds up being a tedious hassle.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Ignis rocks. Feel like once I get a catalyst and a few forma into it I will be burning the poo poo out of everything in my way.

Pretty cool that I can set it up to take on each faction most optimally for each level

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Duggler posted:

Ignis rocks. Feel like once I get a catalyst and a few forma into it I will be burning the poo poo out of everything in my way.

Pretty cool that I can set it up to take on each faction most optimally for each level

I thought the Ignis was pretty bad at the beginning, but holy poo poo, it takes off. I really want Rifle Ammo Mutation for it.

Mine's 5 formaed and is probably my second best weapon.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Hog Butcher posted:

I thought the Ignis was pretty bad at the beginning
Ignis was absolutely horrid at the very beginning, to the point where it had trouble breaking crates. I seem to recall that it couldn't even hit multiple targets.

Now look at Ignis today. I think it's one of the few major successes that keep people from giving up on DE.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Fish Noise posted:

Ignis was absolutely horrid at the very beginning, to the point where it had trouble breaking crates. I seem to recall that it couldn't even hit multiple targets.

Now look at Ignis today. I think it's one of the few major successes that keep people from giving up on DE.

The Ignis could break crates but wasn't AOE, it was the Dera who had problems breaking crates early on. A slow 7 base damage projectile it was pretty awful.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I thought the Ignis was OP from the very beginning, just that the Dera was a piece of poo poo that's now much, much better?

I'm kinda hoping they introduce alternate, cosmetic models for poo poo like the Braton, Grakata, and Dera. I want to be a snowflake.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Ignis was crap at the beginning because it worked like a regular rifle except with fire effects so if you were burning something in front of you, the horde behind it didn't get hit. So they made the cone much bigger and bypass any obstacle so now we're burning everything in our field of vision.

Dera is slightly better now that Grineer is weak against it (like with most Corpus weapons) but the slow projectile is still rear end.

Penta is so drat godly that I'm afraid of Forma-ing it any further since it might get the nerf bat.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Rhino Vanguard helmet alert is up for the next 30 minutes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The dera is an unfortunate gun that is destined to be always the bridesmaid and never the bride, barring some ignis level buffs. Its unique property of zero recoil and perfect accuracy and its interaction with Volt's shield just aren't that significant when compared to guns that don't even require aiming (ignis), blow up whole rooms in few shots (penta, ogris), or are only a little less accurate while having much higher magazine size and better damage (soma). The dera also chews through its ammo and puny mag size at twin viper speeds, which doesn't help. It's one of those guns that you really want to like but just can't justify outside of intentionally gimmicking.

Also I'd pay without hesitation to be able to make every automatic rifle sound like the braton. It is a cruel irony that the worst gun has the best sound.

vvvv To be clear, the shittiest guns are often the most fun ones (except bows, gently caress them), just saying that the dera has some pretty clear shortcomings. Sadly the "Worst = Most fun" principle doesn't apply to frames, because there is no enjoyment that can possibly come from using Nekros. Also I think they changed the dera's sound again in the most recent big update, or maybe the one before. I recall it having a better sound a few patches back.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 30, 2013

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The dera makes a fun noise and it looks cool without being totally useless so that's good enough for me.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

JackMackerel posted:

I thought the Ignis was OP from the very beginning, just that the Dera was a piece of poo poo that's now much, much better?

I'm kinda hoping they introduce alternate, cosmetic models for poo poo like the Braton, Grakata, and Dera. I want to be a snowflake.

Little cosmetic model poo poo like scopes, magazines, etc. would be kinda cool. No effect on the weapon, just something to further distinguish yourself. That's a cool idea.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Epsilon Plus posted:

Little cosmetic model poo poo like scopes, magazines, etc. would be kinda cool. No effect on the weapon, just something to further distinguish yourself. That's a cool idea.

Warframe doodads would be cool as well.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Argas posted:

Warframe doodads would be cool as well.

You men like scarfs, alternate hats or even new skins?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sandweed posted:

More than just that. Those pretty much work in a single slot so at best you get a variety of the same things. Just being able to do something like attach an extra bulky pauldron on one shoulder, or a bunch of Ash-specific shuriken on the arms or the legs would add a lot more customization. Warhammer Online had the concept (Not sure if it ever made it into the game given how poorly it did) of giving players a bunch of attachment points on their avatar and they could equip a up to a certain amount of vanity accessories.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
As a long-time TF2 player, I feel that cosmetic items in Warframe would only serve to elevate it further.

My Vauban needs sunglasses, sandals, and a squirrel on his shoulder to truly unlock his space ninja potential.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Man I am half way to mastery rank 6 for the sake of penta and that crit rifle, thinking of what to level. I have a volt and wyrm cooking. Any recommended builds for those two? I've got cards such as flow, streamline etc and the two corrupted mods Fleeting Expertise and Narrow Minded.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Mindblast posted:

Man I am half way to mastery rank 6 for the sake of penta and that crit rifle, thinking of what to level. I have a volt and wyrm cooking. Any recommended builds for those two? I've got cards such as flow, streamline etc and the two corrupted mods Fleeting Expertise and Narrow Minded.

Since you have Fleeting Expertise and Streamline, keep in mind there's an efficiency cap at 75%. I use rank 4 of both to hit the cap while minimizing FE's downside, but you can also use Rank 5 FE and Rank 2 Streamline to save a few mod points.

That said, Volt isn't crazy-dependent on power duration. It's nice to have to extend your Shields and Speed, but at efficiency cap you can simply recast them over and over again. Slap a Continuity in there to bring yourself back up to 80% duration and you'll be fine. Narrow Minded tanks your Shock and Overload AoE without giving anything back to them in return, so it's probably not worth using it to counteract Fleeting Expertise.

As for his abilities:

Shock is a surprise winner, the only 1 damage power worth using. It hits and stuns a bunch of enemies, has a degree of autoaim and comes out fast. Not earth-shattering, but not to be discounted entirely.

Speed is great, giving a solid bonus to move and melee speed to all your nearby teammates. Use it all the time and your entire team clears missions faster. Paint yourself blue with red shoes for maximum effect.

Electric Shield paints itself as a defensive option (and it is), but its true strength comes from the fact that projectiles you and your teammates fire through the shield get a 50% bonus damage (as electric damage), become hitscan, and no longer are subject to range limits or damage falloff. That means completely nullifying the limiting properties on a whole range of already powerful weapons. ES is insanely good if you know how to use it.

Overload is a damage AoE. :geno:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Doji Sekushi posted:

As a long-time TF2 player, I feel that cosmetic items in Warframe would only serve to elevate it further.

My Vauban needs sunglasses, sandals, and a squirrel on his shoulder to truly unlock his space ninja potential.
I thought Vauban would be better served with a skin for longswords that turns them into baguettes and wine bottles?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Male Man posted:

Since you have Fleeting Expertise and Streamline, keep in mind there's an efficiency cap at 75%. I use rank 4 of both to hit the cap while minimizing FE's downside, but you can also use Rank 5 FE and Rank 2 Streamline to save a few mod points.

That said, Volt isn't crazy-dependent on power duration. It's nice to have to extend your Shields and Speed, but at efficiency cap you can simply recast them over and over again. Slap a Continuity in there to bring yourself back up to 80% duration and you'll be fine. Narrow Minded tanks your Shock and Overload AoE without giving anything back to them in return, so it's probably not worth using it to counteract Fleeting Expertise.

As for his abilities:

Shock is a surprise winner, the only 1 damage power worth using. It hits and stuns a bunch of enemies, has a degree of autoaim and comes out fast. Not earth-shattering, but not to be discounted entirely.

Speed is great, giving a solid bonus to move and melee speed to all your nearby teammates. Use it all the time and your entire team clears missions faster. Paint yourself blue with red shoes for maximum effect.

Electric Shield paints itself as a defensive option (and it is), but its true strength comes from the fact that projectiles you and your teammates fire through the shield get a 50% bonus damage (as electric damage), become hitscan, and no longer are subject to range limits or damage falloff. That means completely nullifying the limiting properties on a whole range of already powerful weapons. ES is insanely good if you know how to use it.

Overload is a damage AoE. :geno:

Thanks for this! So basically unequip his ult since it's nothing useful and max his efficiency. Focus can be ignored then? Additional damage is nice but his 1 seems good at stunning annoying buggers more than anything and the other two may have their damage and speed boost hard coded? Will consult the wiki on that.

E: wait a sec what is wrong with Slash Dash and Pull? :colbert:

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 30, 2013

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010

Sandweed posted:

They really should make some proper loving skins. I wanted to buy rhino one, but its just different texture thats barely noticeable. There are plenty of F2P games that make bulk of its cash from various cosmetic stuff.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mindblast posted:

One moves you directly into a swarm of enemies; the other brings them to you. That's my guess, anyways.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mindblast posted:

Thanks for this! So basically unequip his ult since it's nothing useful and max his efficiency. Focus can be ignored then? Additional damage is nice but his 1 seems good at stunning annoying buggers more than anything and the other two may have their damage and speed boost hard coded? Will consult the wiki on that.

Nothing is wrong with Slash Dash or Pull, they are both excellent. Useful first slot abilities are actually the rule, rather than the exception.

Overload is actually very much worth slotting. Big AoE damage ults are rarely unwelcome. The Electric damage type was kind of a downer prior to the damage overhaul, but these days it's pretty solid for the most part.

While Focus doesn't affect Electric Shield, it very much does affect all of the other skills (damage on Shock and Overload, attack and movement speed bonus on Speed). I'd skip Narrow Minded, duration actually isn't that big of a deal (it impacts Speed and Electric Shield, but if you're maxing out efficiency with Fleeting Expertise that hardly matters), but range affects 3 out of your 4 abilities.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Of course the PS4 E Siphon alert was at 8am :negative:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Mindblast posted:

Pull and Slash Dash aren't just straight damage powers. Slash Dash has mobility tagged onto it (and can be specced for pretty surprising AoE) and Pull is more a "ragdoll those guys and all their friends" power than a damage power. It's stuff like Shuriken, Freeze, and Fireball that are junk.

And yeah, Overload isn't bad, just boring. It's basically interchangeable with Sound Quake, Crush, Miasma, and Avalanche.

I don't think power strength affects either Speed or Electric Shield. Wouldn't swear it on Speed, though. Someone with Blind Rage could run a test pretty easy. Don't discount Focus, though. Shock does surprising damage, since it has a 100% proc rate on electricity's chain lightning effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

evilentity posted:

They really should make some proper loving skins. I wanted to buy rhino one, but its just different texture thats barely noticeable. There are plenty of F2P games that make bulk of its cash from various cosmetic stuff.

Double whammy: on Rhino you should have Iron Skin up 24/7, making the alternate skin more or less hidden.