Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What the gently caress is even going on in this thread.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What the gently caress is even going on in this thread.

:psyduck:

Lately it's just a lot of whining about the direction of the conversation without suggesting any alternatives.

It came up a few months ago, but it's the only thing I've been watching on Netflix is season 2 of American Horror Story and I'd just like to say again how great it is. Season one was fun in a trashy and exploitative way and there was a weird kind of fun to the shock value of it all, but season two's strengths lie in its characterizations. It's frontloaded with aliens and Nazi experiments and demonic possession and serial killers, but all that stuff gets gradually peeled away to reveal some really interesting character growth. It's not scary at all, but honestly I don't even mind.

It's pretty good! And it's not related in any way to season one, so feel free to jump right in with season two.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Someone recommend me a decent sci fi tv series that's on Netflix and isn't Doctor Who, the X-Files, Fringe or Star Trek.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Battlestar Galactica?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Someone recommend me a decent sci fi tv series that's on Netflix and isn't Doctor Who, the X-Files, Fringe or Star Trek.

Recently marathoned Alphas, it's actually a good mix of the X-Men and the X-Files.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Battlestar Galactica?

I knew there was one I forgot, I have also watched that, didn't really get into it.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

marktheando posted:

If you haven'ted watched Firefly get on it!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Royal Scrub posted:

If you haven'ted watched Firefly get on it!

I have! The only Joss Whedon thing I like.

Manky posted:

Recently marathoned Alphas, it's actually a good mix of the X-Men and the X-Files.

Interesting, I will give it a try.

Edit- Also I just remembered about Continuum which I thought was pretty bad, but people keep insisting it gets better after the first series. Maybe I will give that another shot.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 29, 2013

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you want weird 70's proto-X-Files, you could try Kolchak: The Night Stalker. It's the series that inspires the X-Files.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

marktheando posted:

I love, love, love Farscape. It takes a few episodes to hit its stride, but really, it is just excellent.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Kaedric posted:

I love, love, love Farscape. It takes a few episodes to hit its stride, but really, it is just excellent.

Seconding Farscape. Just started rewatching it again last night.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Everyone watch Cutie and the Boxer. It's an absolutely fantastic, unsentimental look at art and love and it also might be one of the best shot documentaries I've ever seen. I can't state enough how good this was.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Manky posted:

Do they have season 1 and 2 up?

Season 2 spoilers.
I don't like horses. They look confused.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's unsurprising but The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is really good. I hadn't seen this this John Ford classic until it popped up in a random list on my Netflix account.

I've been meaning to watch Alphas. That should be as far apart from Liberty Valance as you can get. :v:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

marktheando posted:

I have! The only Joss Whedon thing I like.

You know everything of his? I was really surprised by Dollhouse, great Sci Fi show that was horribly marketed as "sexy spy show".

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Khorne Flakes posted:

You know everything of his? I was really surprised by Dollhouse, great Sci Fi show that was horribly marketed as "sexy spy show".
Would you be willing to elaborate further about what it is then? I've never heard it described as anything but a "sexy spy show".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sarchasm posted:

Lately it's just a lot of whining about the direction of the conversation without suggesting any alternatives.

It came up a few months ago, but it's the only thing I've been watching on Netflix is season 2 of American Horror Story and I'd just like to say again how great it is. Season one was fun in a trashy and exploitative way and there was a weird kind of fun to the shock value of it all, but season two's strengths lie in its characterizations. It's frontloaded with aliens and Nazi experiments and demonic possession and serial killers, but all that stuff gets gradually peeled away to reveal some really interesting character growth. It's not scary at all, but honestly I don't even mind.

It's pretty good! And it's not related in any way to season one, so feel free to jump right in with season two.

Oh my god did I love AHS season 2. I've been in love with Jessica Lange since I was like 5 years old and it's such a treat to see her go nuts on this show. Of everything I've watched this last year, AHS has the most amazing and talented cast of any show current;y on tv. I mean hell, they got James loving Cromwell as a series regular.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Azathoth posted:

Would you be willing to elaborate further about what it is then? I've never heard it described as anything but a "sexy spy show".
Eventually it turns into a meditation on personal identity and memory, plus it has some of the most tremendous performances on TV - Enver Gjokaj, Alan Tudyk, and Amy Acker can loving act.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Eventually it turns into a meditation on personal identity and memory, plus it has some of the most tremendous performances on TV - Enver Gjokaj, Alan Tudyk, and Amy Acker can loving act.

Every time I see Enver turn up in something I wonder why the gently caress he hasn't had a big break yet.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Azathoth posted:

TychoCelchuu explained it pretty well without giving too much out. Best to go in not knowing too much, but just know everyone in the show puts on some amazing performances, except for Eliza Dushku who is actually the main character. I recall the first few episodes Fox had a stranglehold on Whedon and made him stick to some pretty boring stereotypical writing, but they let him do what he wants after those first few and the show just takes off.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Battlestar Galactica?

I somehow got to Season 3 of this show without dying of absolute loving boredom. Seriously gently caress this show it is so painfully boring.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I somehow got to Season 3 of this show without dying of absolute loving boredom. Seriously gently caress this show it is so painfully boring.

I only made it partway through season 2.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Khorne Flakes posted:

I actually like Dollhouse more than Firefly, if only for the fact that it actually manages to wrap up the major story arcs by the end.

Rhyno posted:

Every time I see Enver turn up in something I wonder why the gently caress he hasn't had a big break yet.

I especially love the episode where he gets imprinted with Topher's personality, he just nails his mannerisms.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Watched Inseparable last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I want to recommend it but I don't know how.

quote:

Inseparable (Chinese: 形影不离) is a 2011 genre-bending Chinese film written and directed by Dayyan Eng. The dramedy/psychological suspense stars Kevin Spacey,[1] Daniel Wu and Gong Beibi. Inseparable premiered in 2011 at the Busan International Film Festival and was released in China in May, 2012. The film was selected by Wall Street Journal as one of the "Top 10 Most Notable Asian Films" of 2011. Kevin Spacey's involvement made him the first Hollywood star to headline a 100% Chinese-funded film.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

axleblaze posted:

Everyone watch Cutie and the Boxer. It's an absolutely fantastic, unsentimental look at art and love and it also might be one of the best shot documentaries I've ever seen. I can't state enough how good this was.

I added this a few days ago because I'm basically adding anything from 2013 that looks interesting, in order to binge in time for awards season - but doubt I would've gotten around to this without a push. I'll give it a look sometime this week.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Khorne Flakes posted:

I've seen all his tv stuff except Dollhouse. Not sure how much Whedon dialogue I can put up with (Firefly being cancelled early probably helped me not get sick of it) and Eliza Dushku is really a bad actress.

I've heard it said that the whole thing comes across as some kind of creepy fantasy of Whedon's, programmable action chick sex bots. Confirm/deny?

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

marktheando posted:

I've heard it said that the whole thing comes across as some kind of creepy fantasy of Whedon's, programmable action chick sex bots. Confirm/deny?

Yes that's an aspect. No it's not a creepy Whedon sex fantasy, since the entire show is basically about the question of morality of the characters. It's actually pretty subversive in that the first few episodes glorify the sex and violence and then he starts to twist it, and eventually kind of holds a mirror up to the audience and asks difficult questions.

The only hard to swallow part of it, as people mentioned, is that the main character is far and away the worst actress on the show. On the other hand, the supporting characters are utterly fantastic actors. Enver Gjokaj and Alan Tudyk are amazing. The season finales especially are fantastic and could almost be a stand-alone movie.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

marktheando posted:

I've seen all his tv stuff except Dollhouse. Not sure how much Whedon dialogue I can put up with (Firefly being cancelled early probably helped me not get sick of it) and Eliza Dushku is really a bad actress.

Like I said earlier, the first few episodes start off as weird empty headed programmable sex bots, but I believe that was the networks decision and not really the way Whedon wanted it to go or be advertised as. I've been put off by most of his TV stuff like Angel and Buffy, but I did enjoy Firefly and I think Dollhouse still remains my favorite. Suck it up for the first few episodes and let the rest of the cast carry Eliza Dusku, its worth going through this series.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

marktheando posted:

Not really, it's just something Whedon detractors like to trot out. I'm no fan of Whedon by the way, but I remember liking Angel and thinking that Dollhouse is probably the best thing he's done, outside of some glaring flaws. It was conceived as a Dushku vehicle and the problem is she just can't loving act, and it's worse when she's put up against the other 'dolls'. They're able to slip in and out of different characters with ease (And be utterly convincing) but Dushku simply doesn't have the range. She can do blank well, and she can scowl. She gets one or two moments but the show is infinitely more interesting when it focuses on anyone except her.

It's interesting because Whedon et al immediately acknowledge the inherent creepiness in the premise and they run with it, though not for a couple of episodes because Fox gave them very specific instructions to make it all action packed etc, the end of Season 1 and 'Epitaph', going into Season 2 are pretty great television. The first few episodes of the first season really feel like a contractual obligation. You can sense the show just wanting to get that stuff over with before moving on.

It's a great premise though and it's a shame they didn't get to explore it better - and with a better actress. 'Orphan Black' straddles some similar lines though and has a stunning lead performance.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sounds like I should just watch Orphan Black instead of Dollhouse, though it isn't on Netflix. I will definitely give Kolchak a go, I've been curious about it ever since I heard it cited as an inspiration for the X-Files, didn't realise it was on Netflix. And I think I have watched Farscape before, but I remember almost nothing about it so that's something else to watch.

With the number of Star Trek and BSG fans around I wonder why there isn't a current American show with people in a spaceship travelling around having adventures.

But first I have to find some new US DNS numbers as the ones I was using on my Xbox to access yank Netflix have stopped working for some reason and now I just have lovely UK netflix. Damnit.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I only made it partway through season 2.

Loser, I stopped during season 1.

I don't understand why there was an action montage at the beginning of each episode made up of events IN THAT SAME EPISODE. It's the television equivalent of jangling a shiny keychain and then throwing it 44 minutes away from you.

Do they seriously worry that people are so uninvested in the show that they have to do that?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I don't understand why there was an action montage at the beginning of each episode made up of events IN THAT SAME EPISODE. It's the television equivalent of jangling a shiny keychain and then throwing it 44 minutes away from you.

Do they seriously worry that people are so uninvested in the show that they have to do that?

Agreed, I loved the show but the opening montages were a terrible idea. Luckily I watched it on DVD and could just skip to the next chapter.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Even though you should be catching up on all the stuff that's leaving Netflix in 2014, I want to recommend the thriller A Lonely Place to Die. It's about a group of mountain climbers in Scotland or something who stumble upon a little girl trapped in an underground box. It's pretty straightforward and probably not subversive enough for a large portion of CineD, but if you're a fan of thrillers I'd check it out.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was kind of excited to see that Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony was on Netflix because I was expecting cringe-y, trainwreck goodness but it's a milquetoast, uncritical doc that was paid for and produced by fans of the show. There's a few mildly funny parts but it's mostly just boring.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

DOesn't look like HEAT is up, does anyone have some suggestions for similar heist/shootout with cops movies?

Try "Drug War". I don't want to say too much but I loved everything about it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Here's the list of everything expiring Jan 1-4 (seems like quite a bit): http://www.reddit.com/r/NetflixBestOf/comments/1tkyre/list_of_notable_tv_shows_and_movies_expiring_soon/

notable flicks:
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
I'm Gonna Get You Sucka
In Like Flint
Flashdance
The Secret Of Nimh
Tales From The Crypt: Bordello Of Blood
Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight
Street Fighter
Troll II
War Games

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 31, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Rumor has it that in place of all those sweet movies, we'll be getting this list to replace them: http://www.reddit.com/r/NetflixBestOf/comments/1tkzzi/notable_films_arriving_january_1_2014_on_netflix/

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Theres no way that list is legit, its way too good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Theres no way that list is legit, its way too good

Alot of them have been up before so I don't think it's THAT unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
A Band Called Death is a really good music documentary about a punk band from 73 consisting of 3 black brothers from Detroit. Glad I watched it.

• Locked thread