Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

drink_bleach posted:

So I probably never would have picked up One Way Heroics if not for the bundle. Man that really bums me out because this game is fantastic.

I hate for this to become an echo chamber, but if you haven't played this game yet you are doing yourself a disservice. It's just so good. I do think I need to move to a higher difficulty though.

OWH rules, let it echo through the halls forever. However, we are all gentlegoons and there's no doubt one of us will have a fine argument as to why they don't like OWH, and we will all ponder it meaningfully whilst stroking neckbeards.

Also, your SSS rank: why didn't it occur to me to just keep going after the demon lord shows up? The distance you could travel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm not very good at roguelikes. I've beaten Crawl like, twice, before the death of Stabbing. Dungeonmans looks pretty dope though, kicked over :10bux: that way. I've read the thread and I know Caves of Qud will never get a tileset, but boy, would I like one. :( Is Occult Chronicles worth getting? I like the Lovecraftian kinda background to it, but. I dunno. The post in the OP wasn't wholly glowing. :v:

v: I know. I just want to see my guy being a big turtle merchant with fire hands.

vv: oh dope! Didn't realize there was a demo.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 30, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Stabbing just got rolled into stealth/short blades, no more skill to train. (It's a buff!)

Ascii kinda owns, I wouldn't hold off on playing Qud for that, you'll get used to it fast enough.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Bogart posted:

:( Is Occult Chronicles worth getting? I like the Lovecraftian kinda background to it, but. I dunno. The post in the OP wasn't wholly glowing. :v:

I think it is really good! (Also I wrote the post for the OP, so I guess I didn't get across that well enough.)

Why not try the demo though? Then you have 75 turns to see how you like it.
http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/OC/Occult_Chronicles.html

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'll throw in a dissenting voice for occult chronicles. I don't like the gameplay mechanics very much and the UI is clunky as gently caress, especially for a $20 game. One of the things is that it feels like a board game where nothing is automated. Part of it was my fault because I just straight up bought it after reading some positive reviews, but it was hands down my most regrettable video game purchase this year.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

drink_bleach posted:

So I probably never would have picked up One Way Heroics if not for the bundle. Man that really bums me out because this game is fantastic.

I hate for this to become an echo chamber, but if you haven't played this game yet you are doing yourself a disservice. It's just so good. I do think I need to move to a higher difficulty though.

Is it a thing to avoid using statues to buy stats or is there a way to gain so many levels?

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Spacedad posted:

Looking for several different types of roguelike/rogulite games in the follow categories:

-What people think are the most graphically impressive roguelikes or roguelites

-What people think are the most beautiful/cool/good-looking art-wise roguelikes or roguelites

-The best coop roguelikes or roguelites people enjoy playing with friends

-Same question as above, but more 'party game' ish for local coop

answering just for roguelikes:

the new ADOM w/ tiles is the best-looking roguelike I've seen by far. its still a bit incomplete (no female versions of sprites, doesn't shoe equipment) but then again its still in prerelease. second place is probably Shiren the Wanderer for SNES. I also like Crawl and DoomRL's tiles for being highly utilitarian, and dislike ToME4's look quite a bit. Crawl has the best coop I think; ToME4's chat in-game takes second place, and then all the term ones. (ADOM/nethack)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I want to see if I can translate the Crawl tiles over to ToMe but they're set up different. ToMe has each unit tile as a separate file, while Crawl uses a huge sheet and presumably defines it by pixel location (i.e. Orcs = 23x73x33x103). What would be the easiest way to chop up the Crawl tilesheet into individual files based on the definitions found in game?

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

I'll throw in a dissenting voice for occult chronicles. I don't like the gameplay mechanics very much and the UI is clunky as gently caress, especially for a $20 game. One of the things is that it feels like a board game where nothing is automated. Part of it was my fault because I just straight up bought it after reading some positive reviews, but it was hands down my most regrettable video game purchase this year.

Got to agree with this. Also some of the mechanics aren't very transparent.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

German Joey posted:

the new ADOM w/ tiles is the best-looking roguelike I've seen by far.

I'm still conflicted about them. After seeing all the sprites and playing some, it just keeps clinging to me how half of them look like stupid ugly chubby poo poo, but the other half look really really good and visually appealing. It's bizarre. Overall, I feel like too many of them are just cartoony to the point it sort of takes away from the limited theme and feeling of the game. I expected something with more gritty visuals after years of playing.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

I want to see if I can translate the Crawl tiles over to ToMe but they're set up different. ToMe has each unit tile as a separate file, while Crawl uses a huge sheet and presumably defines it by pixel location (i.e. Orcs = 23x73x33x103). What would be the easiest way to chop up the Crawl tilesheet into individual files based on the definitions found in game?

Crawl uses one png image per tile, when the game is built (if you are making a tiles build) it combines them into a few large spritesheets. If you want to see the raw tiles, download the sources and look inside the rltiles folder. If you want the latest version you should use git. Or for 0.13 you can download it off the official dcss website.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, I can understand that the mechanics might not be everyone's cup of tea, seeing as you have a direct effect in encounter outcomes playing the card games instead a of having dice rolled for you.

If people are on the fence really try the demo to see if you like it first!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried Occult Chronicles demo and I loved the setting but gameplay was really clunky.
I did find a similar and somewhat similar game called Elder Sign: Omens, it's not a roguelike but it's kind of fun.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jack Trades posted:

Elder Sign: Omens, it's not a roguelike but it's kind of fun.

I seriously could never find the appeal of this game. It's terrible.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Occult chronicles is a lot of fun but I can 100% see someone not liking the mechanics, especially for $20.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

andrew smash posted:

The actual board game is pretty fun. No idea about that app, though.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

German Joey posted:

the new ADOM w/ tiles is the best-looking roguelike I've seen by far. its still a bit incomplete (no female versions of sprites, doesn't shoe equipment) but then again its still in prerelease. second place is probably Shiren the Wanderer for SNES. I also like Crawl and DoomRL's tiles for being highly utilitarian, and dislike ToME4's look quite a bit. Crawl has the best coop I think; ToME4's chat in-game takes second place, and then all the term ones. (ADOM/nethack)

I had no idea that they were working of tiles for ADOM so I went looking.

Really nice.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is it a thing to avoid using statues to buy stats or is there a way to gain so many levels?
There's experience up accessories, but basically, yeah, you just don't buy stats at statues. You get more points at the end of a game for having more levels, and nothing for having more stats (except making it easier to kill things), so it can be better just to save them.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was wearing the bracelet that gives you more XP but lowers your stats. I still spent about 50-100 levels with the statue in that run. Entirely on agility so I could outrun the devil.

Once you get out past 1000km, new enemy types start spawning like dragons and armored variants of the regular enemies and some of the older enemies start doing annoying poo poo like breathing fire and burning up all your healing herbs. The upside to this is they give insane amounts of XP, I think every dragon I killed was a few levels.

I only ended that run because I thought there was no end; however, when I got advice it told me "You almost reached the end", I'm not sure if that was trolling me, or if at some point it stops generating and there is an actual end to reach.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

drink_bleach posted:

I only ended that run because I thought there was no end; however, when I got advice it told me "You almost reached the end", I'm not sure if that was trolling me, or if at some point it stops generating and there is an actual end to reach.
There is an actual end of the world at 2000km with an actual prize and an actual ending epilogue which is pretty important if you want to get the True End.

This is hearsay but I think that after you reach it the first time, when you go back it asks if you want to stop at 2000km, you can say no and keep going and it'll ask you at 3000, 4000, 5000, up until 10000km.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

andrew smash posted:

It's a fun time waster and I really like lovecraftian setting. Thought after defeating every "boss" the game doesn't have anything to offer.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jack Trades posted:

It's a fun time waster and I really like lovecraftian setting. Thought after defeating every "boss" the game doesn't have anything to offer.

The number of people who say this makes me think i seriously misunderstood a mechanic or something. I always got hung up trying to roll enough successes or whatever they're called and never managed to finish any encounters.

Edit: i'm also sick to death of cthulhu-themed stuff so i never had much of an incentive to try again.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

EvilMike posted:

Crawl uses one png image per tile, when the game is built (if you are making a tiles build) it combines them into a few large spritesheets. If you want to see the raw tiles, download the sources and look inside the rltiles folder. If you want the latest version you should use git. Or for 0.13 you can download it off the official dcss website.

Oh this is great. I noticed that some of the tiles under rltiles folder don't have a black outline like they do in the spritesheet (orcs for example). Any clue to what's going on with that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

andrew smash posted:

The number of people who say this makes me think i seriously misunderstood a mechanic or something. I always got hung up trying to roll enough successes or whatever they're called and never managed to finish any encounters.
Yeah, it's a dice rolling game pretty much. It's all about using "hero" abilities and items to try to swing dice rolling into your favor.

andrew smash posted:

Edit: i'm also sick to death of cthulhu-themed stuff so i never had much of an incentive to try again.

Funny that I can't find any good Lovecraft-themed games to play. Can you list some of those games you're referring to?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Funnily enough, Elder Sign is made by the same guy who made Arkham Horror which means he probably has more claim to Lovecraftian stuff than others might as far as Chtulhu games go. He's a pretty cool dude! :eng101: I have no idea how the app plays out and really don't care enough to try, but the actual board game it's based off is really fun and simple enough to learn without much of a hassle, which anyone who plays board games knows can be an issue with some of them.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, it's a dice rolling game pretty much. It's all about using "hero" abilities and items to try to swing dice rolling into your favor.

Funny that I can't find any good Lovecraft-themed games to play. Can you list some of those games you're referring to?

I'm not referring to specific roguelikes or phone apps if that's what you mean. I'm just talking about the setting itself, it's tired and i'm sick of it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

drink_bleach posted:

I was wearing the bracelet that gives you more XP but lowers your stats. I still spent about 50-100 levels with the statue in that run. Entirely on agility so I could outrun the devil.

Once you get out past 1000km, new enemy types start spawning like dragons and armored variants of the regular enemies and some of the older enemies start doing annoying poo poo like breathing fire and burning up all your healing herbs. The upside to this is they give insane amounts of XP, I think every dragon I killed was a few levels.

I relied on the Queen's reward to level. Pretty much anything with an arrow is guaranteed a few levels, while animals give you about 5. The half health thing scared me from using the trainer. Might try it if I kept it.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Ages ago I posted about Tower Climb, an excellent rogue-ish platformer that almost nobody's heard of. I just came across this guy's Twitch account and, holy poo poo, he has the game down to a tee. I've played a lot of this game so I can confidently say that this is a masterclass in platformers. The controls, for better or worse, take a lot of getting used to and, well, just watch it.

http://www.twitch.tv/tobash_wombat/b/488963185

If you have any interest in hard games played well then check it out.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Black August posted:

I'm still conflicted about them. After seeing all the sprites and playing some, it just keeps clinging to me how half of them look like stupid ugly chubby poo poo, but the other half look really really good and visually appealing. It's bizarre. Overall, I feel like too many of them are just cartoony to the point it sort of takes away from the limited theme and feeling of the game. I expected something with more gritty visuals after years of playing.

which ones don't you like? they all feel like they fit pretty well together to me, and that they feel perfectly suited to the type of magical grimm's-fairy-tale-meets-d&d adventure that thomas has always intended. (rather than fitting to the brutal, powergamey tactics that veteran players (myself included) had traditionally employed - many of which have been patched out, by the way).

edit: some examples:

some tiles actually animate their colors! the touch of dynamism adds a subtle, but very warm contribution to the look and feel.

German Joey fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 31, 2013

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

That's a pretty amazing beard for such a small child.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Flython posted:

That's a pretty amazing beard for such a small child.

and what is he doing crying for candy ("me want a shugga!") in a sealed up room, alone with a dirty dwarven mystic? luckily, I'm invisible, so I can just stay still, watch, and find out...

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Those ADOM screenshots look really nice. Is the prerelease free? Or if it's not, how much is it?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nerve posted:

Those ADOM screenshots look really nice. Is the prerelease free? Or if it's not, how much is it?

A post-tiles version was put up for public download awhile ago and if you want the latest version you can buy in for the low, low sum of $40.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
the screenshots I posted are from that free version; presumably the newer versions have some of the hiccups ironed-out (e.g. like female versions of monsters/your pc not having their own tiles, some special effects not in, etc) if you care about stuff like that, although the final version will be free too once its finished.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not sure they're going to do female versions or display weapons. I don't think any of that was planned for in the budget, though Thomas admitted not having female monster sprites was an oversight since female monsters exist in ASCII.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Those ADOM tiles are really gorgeous, but they're much harder for me to visually pick apart than Crawl's. They're just so soft. Really good-looking, though.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I started tonight translating Crawl's tiles over to ToMe but....holy gently caress there's a lot of them. There's 41 tiles for orcs alone in ToMe. It's mostly all doable without any new art, since we have the player dolls to work with, but some of the boss characters are going to need a lot of creativity.

I'm doing ok on my own, but bound to give up/never finish it without some crowdsourcing. Any volunteers? I'm just using Paint.net and it's working out ok.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bouchacha posted:

I started tonight translating Crawl's tiles over to ToMe but....holy gently caress there's a lot of them. There's 41 tiles for orcs alone in ToMe. It's mostly all doable without any new art, since we have the player dolls to work with, but some of the boss characters are going to need a lot of creativity.

This kind of thing is one big reason why I'm an ASCII purist. The amount of effort required to add new monsters to a game goes up exponentially if you have to draw new tiles for them too. I totally get that some people don't want to play ASCII and that having access to tiles greatly improves the total potential audience size for a game, but it's also a big limitation on the developers.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I largely agree, but ToMe suffers from the opposite problem. It has plenty of detailed and unique tiles made, but there's way too many enemies to make ASCII a feasible method. ToMe has the 41 orcs mentioned, but also multiple kinds of "molds", canines, bears, and mice, all with no real significant distinction between the types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah, I can understand that the mechanics might not be everyone's cup of tea, seeing as you have a direct effect in encounter outcomes playing the card games instead a of having dice rolled for you.

If people are on the fence really try the demo to see if you like it first!

I really like the idea of a card game integrated into a roguelike (which is why I bought it), but the card game is super shallow and having to play it a minimum 2 times per encounter gets old really fast. That's my biggest beef.

Also, for some reason, the game takes forever to boot on all of my machines.