Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Darth Windu posted:

The pilot looks bad, the series honestly deserves to be made into a movie trilogy.

Are you basing your opinion on the pilot trailer? because as far as I am aware that is all the public has seen of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Are you basing your opinion on the pilot trailer? because as far as I am aware that is all the public has seen of it.

Yes, of course. You'd think it'd have leaked by now. In any case I just find it looks very low budget.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Scott Pilgrim is okay, but I want to uppercut anyone who says "Chau Down!" 5 years later.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The next LoEG spinoff has been announced and is scheduled for a March release:

quote:

Sixteen years ago, notorious science-brigand Janni Nemo journeyed into the frozen reaches of Antarctica to resolve her father's weighty legacy in a storm of madness and loss, barely escaping with her Nautilus and her life.

Now it is 1941, and with her daughter strategically married into the family of aerial warlord Jean Robur, Janni's raiders have only limited contact with the military might of the clownish German-Tomanian dictator Adenoid Hynkel. But when the pirate queen learns that her loved ones are held hostage in the nightmarish Berlin, she has no choice save to intervene directly, travelling with her ageing lover Broad Arrow Jack into the belly of the beastly metropolis. Within that alienated city await monsters, criminals and legends, including the remaining vestiges of Germany’s notorious ‘Twilight Heroes’, a dark Teutonic counterpart to Mina Murray’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. And waiting at the far end of this gauntlet of alarming adversaries there is something much, much worse.

Continuing in the thrilling tradition of Heart of Ice, Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill rampage through twentieth-century culture in a blazing new adventure, set in a city of totalitarian shadows and mechanical nightmares. Cultures clash and lives are lost in the explosive collision of four unforgettable women, lost in the black and bloody alleyways where thrive THE ROSES OF BERLIN.

The Twilight Heroes were Dr. Caligari, Mabuse, Rotwang, and Maria.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Oh wow Alan Moore is doing a straight up comic? When is the last time he has put out anything similar to this?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Oh wow Alan Moore is doing a straight up comic? When is the last time he has put out anything similar to this?
Nemo: Heart of Ice :v:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm finally all caught up with Rat Queens and the first three issues were really cool and good. If you haven't read it, you probably should.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I don't want to sound like an ad blurb or anything, but seriously, I hope you're buying Fraction and Zdarsky's Sex Criminals. It's hitting on both writing and art, and so far at least, coming out in a timely fashion. The two main characters have been really fun to read. It will be interesting to see where Fraction goes as the cast expands. I really think he handles a small cast better than a large one in general.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 9, 2014

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Should probably bump this, ton of huge announcements today, I wasn't able to keep up with them all.

Brubaker/Phillips wrapping Fatale at 24, on to a new series. Fraction launching more Casanova with Moon, back ups by Michael Chabon and Ba. Kelly Sue DeConnick launching Planet Bitch and announced more Pretty Deadly. New series by Remender I think. Morrison and Burnham doing a horror comic called Nameless I think? Jock and Scott Snyder doing a horror comic as well.

Check your local comic site for all the deets.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Happy! was garbage, but Burnham is always good news, I was afraid that he was stuck at DC doing one-off Batman comics or something.
Casanova with Chabon on cover is finally going to be profitable, that is awesome.
Anthology project by Brandon Graham crew is still the most interesting thing, obviously.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Gillen/McKelvie are doing a new thing as well that's supposed to be a less cynical take on Superheroes as Celebrities. Also, Phonogram 3! :neckbeard:

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Madrox posted:

I don't want to sound like an ad blurb or anything, but seriously, I hope you're buying Fraction and Zdarsky's Sex Criminals. It's hitting on both writing and art, and so far at least, coming out in a timely fashion. The two main characters have been really fun to read. It will be interesting to see where Fraction goes as the cast expands. I really think he handles a small cast better than a large one in general.

I'm immediately loving both Rachel and Kegelface. Kegelface is a great name, Suzy's introduction of her was great, and Rachel's grounding the thing in a really neat way.

"Pointer for all you kids out there. If rubbing one out puts you into a state of frozen time, maybe don't get high in it."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Daniel Way is the writer on the new arc of Crossed: Badlands.

It is a perfect storm of terrible.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Has Koyama Press always been distributed by amazon? Or is this a new thing?

Because there's a lot of really good stuff here. Mostly I'm surprised to see a Lose collection. I didn't know anything like that was coming out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wanderer posted:

Daniel Way is the writer on the new arc of Crossed: Badlands.

It is a perfect storm of terrible.

A chill just went down my spine that I haven't felt since Onslaught Reborn was created.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
poo poo anyone can write a loving Crossed book. Look, here are the first pages of Crossed: Deliverance by me right now

Page one panel one: A scared looking woman and her husband are sneaking though what looks like an old theme park.

Woman: I hope the those monsters aren't here.

Page one panel two: a CROSSED man jumps out. He's really fat and gross and covered in blood.

Rest of pages: the CROSSED kill the husband with weird things you wouldn't think are weapons like children's toys or power tools while the woman runs away crying and hides.

-fin-

Okay Avatar I'll be expecting a check in the mail.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherboxx posted:

Happy! was garbage

Happy was the best Garth Ennis comic in years and that was kind of the point. It was Morrison doing A Very Garth Ennis Christmas, and it ruled.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know if it's cool or not, but boy howdy did I hate it. I can see how some would like it, but I can't see how it would be considered something difficult to top. 80s video game references and applying the basic formula of comedy/romance manga and anime to a modern setting with swear words? That can't be the height of someone's creative output.

It's pretty rad to watch a bunch of manchildren fall all over a book about a manchild only for the last volume to go "Also nobody loving likes the character you adore, because he refuses to grow up and that's irritating as gently caress, grow up assholes". Scott Pilgrim Rules.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 13, 2014

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

poo poo anyone can write a loving Crossed book. Look, here are the first pages of Crossed: Deliverance by me right now

Page one panel one: A scared looking woman and her husband are sneaking though what looks like an old theme park.

Woman: I hope the those monsters aren't here.

Page one panel two: a CROSSED man jumps out. He's really fat and gross and covered in blood.

Rest of pages: the CROSSED kill the husband with weird things you wouldn't think are weapons like children's toys or power tools while the woman runs away crying and hides.

-fin-

Okay Avatar I'll be expecting a check in the mail.

No no no that's not right at all.

You FORGOT to add in the random cursing the CROSSED do like "lovely gently caress SWEAR WORD HORSEWEINER gently caress poo poo".

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Literally The Worst posted:

Happy was the best Garth Ennis comic in years and that was kind of the point. It was Morrison doing A Very Garth Ennis Christmas, and it ruled.
Just because it has Darick Robertson and swearing doesn't make it an Ennis book. I thought Happy was pointless and uninteresting with poor plotting and dialogue that managed to make four issues feel like two too many, but if you can defend it then by all means I'd love to read how it's some hidden genius.

Saying it was the best Ennis book at the same time Ennis was putting out Fury Max or sticking the landing on Boys is just baffling.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Zachack posted:

Just because it has Darick Robertson and swearing doesn't make it an Ennis book. I thought Happy was pointless and uninteresting with poor plotting and dialogue that managed to make four issues feel like two too many, but if you can defend it then by all means I'd love to read how it's some hidden genius.

Saying it was the best Ennis book at the same time Ennis was putting out Fury Max or sticking the landing on Boys is just baffling.

Yeah Happy may have been Morrison doing A Very Garth Ennis Christmas but it was a ridiculously poor attempt at doing Ennis missing a lot of the stuff that makes Ennis great.

Especially when Ennis/Parlov are churning out Fury Max, which is easily a high point in both of their long careers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still think Happy! is a return to Filth-era Morrison more than an Ennis pastiche. Also, it's dope and helped restore some of my love for Morrison after his Batman/Action Comics run.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still think Happy! is a return to Filth-era Morrison more than an Ennis pastiche. Also, it's dope and helped restore some of my love for Morrison after his Batman/Action Comics run.

I'm not seeing how it's like the Filth, We3,or NXE, which is roughly what I'd consider the same period. Maybe elements of the dialog but that would also be out of place given the setting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zachack posted:

I'm not seeing how it's like the Filth, We3,or NXE, which is roughly what I'd consider the same period. Maybe elements of the dialog but that would also be out of place given the setting.

It's not particularly like We3 and I don't actually know what NXE is but the combination of graphic, foul-mouthed depictions of awful people doing terrible things mixed with metaphysical weirdness and a bizarre optimism reminded me a lot of the Filth. It's the kind of vibe Morrison excels at, which is why I found it kind of puzzling that everyone got hung up on the Ennis connection. It's not like Ennis has a patent on cursing and Darick Robertson.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 13, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Literally The Worst posted:

Happy was a goddamn waste of everyone's time.

edit: poo poo, the best Ennis comic in years has been Ennis' own Fury Max, by a long mile.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 13, 2014

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Happy felt a lot like a guy writing something he thought people wanted. Reading it was really painful.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

StumblyWumbly posted:

Happy felt a lot like a guy writing something he thought people wanted. Reading it was really painful.

Yeah Happy felt very much like Morrison looking at what the "big" indie books were at the moment and trying to fit in while sprinkling around some surreal imagery to pass it off as unique.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I just blazed through all 3 compendiums of Copra.

So... Copra is one of the best comics ever made, huh?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"Next issue: Shut the gently caress up, Gary!"

Rat Queens is still great.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Qwo posted:

I just blazed through all 3 compendiums of Copra.

So... Copra is one of the best comics ever made, huh?

I shotgunned the whole series over the weekend, and I have to say it left me pretty lukewarm. A pale imitation(which seems kind considering it was a direct rip) of Ostrander's Suicide Squad. It just felt like a forced retread guest starring Doctor Strange and Clea.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been excited about trying Copra, as I was a huge Suicide Squad fan, and I've been reading praise for it all year. But I can't help but wonder if a full 12-issue collected edition has yet to be announced, so I've held off on picking up the three Compendium editions.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Evan Dorkin's finally releasing the new Eltingville Club book in April.

Between Stray Bullets in March and Eltingville in April, I don't think I've been this excited about new old comics in a while.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Thanks to everyone who posted Rat Queens panels in the funny panels thread, just picked up the first 4 issues and it's great.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dacap posted:

Thanks to everyone who posted Rat Queens panels in the funny panels thread, just picked up the first 4 issues and it's great.

Great except for Gary.
gently caress Gary.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Am I the only one reading Mind MGMT? Why is nobody else reading Mind MGMT? Everybody should be reading Mind MGMT!

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Shitshow posted:

Am I the only one reading Mind MGMT? Why is nobody else reading Mind MGMT? Everybody should be reading Mind MGMT!

I wait for the trades. Does this make me a bad person? poo poo is awesome by the way.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Pretty Deadly is such a gorgeous book that I would really love if it was Emma Rios doing both writing and art.

It took till issue 4 for the book to finally settle into what it's be and you can see the issues that plague Captain Marvel cropping up a lot too.

But man I would easily buy a dialogue free of the book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am a huge fan of Hellboy and BPRD and was wondering how is Baltimore?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am a huge fan of Hellboy and BPRD and was wondering how is Baltimore?

I like it. The idea is vampires and poo poo rose up during WWI, so it is a solid supernatural post apocalyptic setting, and the art really pulls everything together.

I could see getting sick of it if I read too much too quickly, but it comes out slowly.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Waterhaul posted:

Pretty Deadly is such a gorgeous book that I would really love if it was Emma Rios doing both writing and art.

It took till issue 4 for the book to finally settle into what it's be and you can see the issues that plague Captain Marvel cropping up a lot too.

But man I would easily buy a dialogue free of the book.

What issues are those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else grab Deadly Class by Rememnder? Harry Potter except assassins. Art is gorgeous and there's an interesting essay in the back about Rememnder's childhood and how it relates to the book.