Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im late as poo poo, but just getting back into books. I bought
Saga.
East of West.
Bedlam.
Archer and Armstrong.
Manhattan Projects.
Nowhere Men.

Marvel and DC can suck a dick cause they are losing in quality over quantity. (I still like them)

Also Black Science was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

I'm not much of a variant person, especially variants that feature real pictures on the cover but I think I need the fourth print cover of Sex Criminals.

It's just so amazing. From the picture of the two of them holding a copy of the book in an awkward prom photo to crossing out "and Inhuman" on the creator blurb, it's fantastic.

I am seriously going to buy this even though I already have it. I haven't done that since the 90's.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I did a review of a book called Rainbow in the Dark which is worth checking out. It's a cross between the Matrix, Pleasantville and They Live as a rock opera adventure story where people sprinkle memorable song lyrics into their dialogue.

It also has electric guitars that shoot lasers.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I can't wait until every review of Seconds is summed up by "It's alright but it's no Scott Pilgrim", and O'Malley has a meltdown.

Although I think he's already been making jokes about that for about 2 years anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jimcunningham posted:

Im late as poo poo, but just getting back into books. I bought
Saga.
East of West.
Bedlam.
Archer and Armstrong.
Manhattan Projects.
Nowhere Men.

Marvel and DC can suck a dick cause they are losing in quality over quantity. (I still like them)

Also Black Science was beautiful.
Marvel's putting out a bunch of quality books now (granted, they are also putting out a bunch of trash). DC not so much.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
As much as I love Prophet, sometimes I just wish it would make sense or be coherent in some way. I feel like every issue adds something new and then never comes back to it. It makes my head spin. :psyduck:

I think it was easier to handle Graham's style in Multiple Warheads since it was a short, finite comic that didn't have a point beyond being fun. Prophet seems to want to go somewhere but it'll be damned if it doesn't stop at every roadside attraction on the way.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 21, 2013

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If Prophet doesn't stick the landing it will be a disaster.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

As much as I love Prophet, sometimes I just wish it would make sense or be coherent in some way. I feel like every issue adds something new and then never comes back to it. It makes my head spin. :psyduck:

I think it was easier to handle Graham's style in Multiple Warheads since it was a short, finite comic that didn't have a point beyond being fun. Prophet seems to want to go somewhere but it'll be damned if it doesn't stop at every roadside attraction on the way.

What seems to be confusing you, exactly? Nothing new was really introduced in the latest issue. If you're refering to the appearance of Badrock and Troll, that's been a development long in the making now. Even the living red pain in the center of space that decimates the fleet was introduced back in the mid-30s when it also destroyed the earlier hammer fleet except for a survivor whom the Earth mothers mindprobe for the location. Troll's prophetic words also reached both John leaders, drawing everything to its current head.

There's relatively little words in Prophet and the focus shifts between arcs, but the overall story isn't as meandering as you say. It's a method of storytelling that requires effort and maybe good memory because things are seeded and alluded to, rather than played out beat for beat. Though the initial stories of the newly awakened Johns seemed disparate, the end of the very first arc laid out pretty clearly what was going on. There is a deliberate story being told, and what seems like "roadside attractions" have remained relevant to the grand scheme of things. Everything has been building to the upcoming war told by separate prisms of the conflict, whether it's concerning Newfather Prophet restoring the crumbling elements of the Earth Empire or Old Man John assembling allies to oppose this returned threat. Maybe the solely Giannis Milonogiannis-penned isse was a little indulgent, but even that had bearing to the machinations of the Earth Empire.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think my issue is that I bought a whole bunch of issues of Prophet and read through them all at once, loved them and didn't have much trouble following them. Then I caught up to the latest release and stumbled over my momentum. I love the comic itself and still plan to buy it every month, but the format makes it difficult to follow. We get about 2/3 of a comic each month (length-wise, maybe not content-wise) since the books are truncated somewhat with the back-up comics. It makes it difficult for me, personally, to follow.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't disagree with you, moot, but that I think it works better in larger chunks rather than in small doses. I'm sure once we get to a sort of "stopping point" I'll go back, read through everything all at once, and have a better understanding of what happened. As it is now, I'm happily along for the ride but I'm the kid in the backseat who's too short to see much of what's whizzing by outside.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
I agree that Prophet can be kind of difficult to follow along on a month to month basis. I feel like a lot of what goes on in the plot can happen really subtly or with little exposition and it can create a bit of a fragmented experience when things aren't as fresh in the memory banks. I'm really excited to sit down and read the whole thing in one go once Graham finishes.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
One thing about the Locke and Key finale...

Why didn't they just bring all the dead kids back? Or at least the two cool ones? Seems like a massive plot hole, but perhaps there is something I'm not seeing, or maybe dad's declining changed Tyler's mind. Iunno.

Anywho, I re-read the whole thing today, and drat was it good. One of my favorite comic book series ever, for sure, though I haven't read that many. Really deserves to be a movie.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

irlZaphod posted:

I can't wait until every review of Seconds is summed up by "It's alright but it's no Scott Pilgrim", and O'Malley has a meltdown.

Although I think he's already been making jokes about that for about 2 years anyway.

I think he's probably accepted it as an inevitability at this point, but it would be kind of rad if it actually were better than Pilgrim.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bairfanx posted:

I think he's probably accepted it as an inevitability at this point, but it would be kind of rad if it actually were better than Pilgrim.

Not a very high bar to clear.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Darth Windu posted:

One thing about the Locke and Key finale...

Why didn't they just bring all the dead kids back? Or at least the two cool ones? Seems like a massive plot hole, but perhaps there is something I'm not seeing, or maybe dad's declining changed Tyler's mind. Iunno.

Anywho, I re-read the whole thing today, and drat was it good. One of my favorite comic book series ever, for sure, though I haven't read that many. Really deserves to be a movie.

How would they have done that? Off the top of my head I can't think of a way.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Lurdiak posted:

Not a very high bar to clear.

Is it cool to hate Scott Pilgrim now? Like, the series did have some flaws, but I thought most people liked it. I know I've been really enjoying revisiting the series as the colored editions come out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like Scott Pilgrim (even the movie, too!), but I don't think it's a high bar, either. It's a good comic, but not a classic by any means. I would certainly hope it's not the best thing he ever does.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bairfanx posted:

Is it cool to hate Scott Pilgrim now? Like, the series did have some flaws, but I thought most people liked it. I know I've been really enjoying revisiting the series as the colored editions come out.

I don't know if it's cool or not, but boy howdy did I hate it. I can see how some would like it, but I can't see how it would be considered something difficult to top. 80s video game references and applying the basic formula of comedy/romance manga and anime to a modern setting with swear words? That can't be the height of someone's creative output.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 23, 2013

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Shitshow posted:

How would they have done that? Off the top of my head I can't think of a way.

The Wellhouse could bring back echoes, and with the Anywhere Key they could escape through the closet, the same way that Dodge did. It seems that the echoes are actually the souls of the departed.

Tyler tells his father that he could bring him back this way at the very end of the comic, but his dad refuses and says something about it being his time or whatever.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Not entirely sure where to put this, dropping it here:
http://silksifandrahil.tumblr.com

I read Leia Worthington's 'Bold Riley' and liked it a lot, it's very Conan-y except without a bunch of the unfortunate parts.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Hakkesshu posted:

I like Scott Pilgrim (even the movie, too!), but I don't think it's a high bar, either. It's a good comic, but not a classic by any means. I would certainly hope it's not the best thing he ever does.

As someone that didn't really care for the book and hated the film I'd call it a classic. It perfectly managed to encapsulate a generation and the recolourings are actually improving and diversifying and already good cast.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know if it's cool or not, but boy howdy did I hate it. I can see how some would like it, but I can't see how it would be considered something difficult to top. 80s video game references and applying the basic formula of comedy/romance manga and anime to a modern setting with swear words? That can't be the height of someone's creative output.
Saga: Romeo and Juliet in space with nudity and swear words. Brian K. Vaughan is the worst.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why but your avatar makes me irrationally angry. It's like it's telling me your post will have a lot of really bad opinions in it, even though a lot of times I sorta agree with you.

(Scott Pilgrim was just okay, not amazing)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I don't know why but your avatar makes me irrationally angry. It's like it's telling me your post will have a lot of really bad opinions in it, even though a lot of times I sorta agree with you.

That's probably just my posting, not Paz.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Very satisfied with the ending of Locke & Key but a few thoughts keeping coming up in my head. One is that while I know the book has always been classified as horror, the first 5 arcs felt more fantastical than horror. Omega is really the first time I felt it crossed over to being horror and it gave a largely unexpected body count in the end.

I also noticed the art style really tightened up in the end, particularly with the oft commented character jaws but it made Tyler appear very generic to me. Still a great book and now I'm left longing that the pilot had been picked up :(

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

DangerKat posted:

Very satisfied with the ending of Locke & Key but a few thoughts keeping coming up in my head. One is that while I know the book has always been classified as horror, the first 5 arcs felt more fantastical than horror. Omega is really the first time I felt it crossed over to being horror and it gave a largely unexpected body count in the end.

I also noticed the art style really tightened up in the end, particularly with the oft commented character jaws but it made Tyler appear very generic to me. Still a great book and now I'm left longing that the pilot had been picked up :(

The pilot looks bad, the series honestly deserves to be made into a movie trilogy.

I thought the same thing as you did, about it being fantasy rather than horror, but my life partner (and the reread) reminded me of all the murderin' that takes place early in the story, and all the weird poo poo. It definitely feels like horror when you are looking for it, thought it is certainly very fantastical horror.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've just gotten into Locke & Key and just finished Head Games. The part with the two women staking out the house of Duncan and his boyfriend so they could bash/kill them was really unsettling, much more horrific to me than any of the ghosty murdery stuff. :(

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Lurdiak posted:

I somewhat agreed with this. I was very lukewarm on Scott Pilgrim the book and found the movie fun, if lacking.

Then I read this:

irlZaphod posted:

Saga: Romeo and Juliet in space with nudity and swear words. Brian K. Vaughan is the worst.

And I felt like a complete rear end.

This is spot on. Interpretations of a medium/work are just that - and arguably as artistic as the original. It's like saying Eminem is a bad rapper because he's just doing what <insert classic rapper here> has already done. Thanks Zaphod for making me feel like a cockbag.

That out of the way - I'm really digging on Manhattan Projects again. I kinda sputtered out when it went back to issues, but I got the trade and actually find that to be simply a better way to read the thing.

Now I have to finish Locke and Key.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to reading Velvet last night. Adored it. The premise, the entire Seventies spy atmosphere, the beautiful detail of Epting's art, all of it was wonderful. This is a movie I wish Duncan Jones would make.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Robot Wendigo posted:

Finally got around to reading Velvet last night. Adored it. The premise, the entire Seventies spy atmosphere, the beautiful detail of Epting's art, all of it was wonderful. This is a movie I wish Duncan Jones would make.

As far as I'm concerned, Brubaker can do no wrong when he's writing crime/spy stuff.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

sicarius posted:

I somewhat agreed with this. I was very lukewarm on Scott Pilgrim the book and found the movie fun, if lacking.

Then I read this:

And I felt like a complete rear end.

This is spot on. Interpretations of a medium/work are just that - and arguably as artistic as the original. It's like saying Eminem is a bad rapper because he's just doing what <insert classic rapper here> has already done. Thanks Zaphod for making me feel like a cockbag.
I'm sure Lurdiak has valid reasons for disliking Scott Pilgrim, that was just such a poor way of conveying them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I'm sure Lurdiak has valid reasons for disliking Scott Pilgrim, that was just such a poor way of conveying them.

I'm curious to know what an invalid reason for disliking something would be.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Lurdiak posted:

I think what he meant, and how I interpret things, are there are various levels of validity for not liking things. Personally, I didn't really like the characters or pacing in Pilgrim. However if I didn't like it "because the cover has orange in it", I think you could judge that as a relatively "not valid" reason.

I suppose, since it's all subjective that would be valid, but I would argue it's less valid (on a sliding scale) than not liking it because you were turned off by the obsession with Japanese culture, the constant "hip" 80's references, or the pacing... or whatever.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Lurdiak posted:

Scott Pilgrim is not racist enough by half.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Congrats on missing the point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Congrats on missing the point.

Your point is that my dismissing of something I dislike is invalid because by being obtuse you can similarly dismiss something else. I was trying to be polite in not calling that the most asinine thing since responding to complaints about plot holes in superhero comics with "yeah and how come he can fly???".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Finally got caught up and managed to finish Locke and Keye, I thought it ended very satisfyingly. I am still kind of mulling it over and all but the question I have is So is the spell broken? Does the mom and adults know what happened there now?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

An invalid reason for disliking something would be anything that is objectively wrong. eg: "I dislike semantical arguments because they are such effective ways of making points on the internet." I hope that solves the passive aggressive quandary you were in.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else been reading Hickman's Secret? I had forgetten about it since it went on hiatus for, like, half a year, but issue four came out a last week and I finally dug out the previous issues to refresh myself. It's some nice spy fiction on par with Brubaker.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Soonmot posted:

Has anyone else been reading Hickman's Secret? I had forgetten about it since it went on hiatus for, like, half a year, but issue four came out a last week and I finally dug out the previous issues to refresh myself. It's some nice spy fiction on par with Brubaker.

It's decent - but the huge hiatus and delays in release mar an otherwise good book. I think Hickman just has too much on his plate right now and he's overextending. He needs to settle down before he Geoff Johns himself and turns into a subpar writer because he's trying to control the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The latest Bravest Warriors includes a story by Tessa Stone of Hanna is Not A Boy's Name and Buzz! That's pretty nice.

(I love Bravest Warriors because all comics should include so many helpful labels for things.)