Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm using MO and BOSS, but BOSS doesn't sort the mods in left pane, only the .esp files on the right pane under "plugins".

The texture packs don't even appear there, I can only see the conflicts by going into "information" on the mod and then checking the conflicting files (which are .dds from what I see).

I may be doing something wrong, though, so feel free to correct me. :v:
Oh OK, well in that case I'm afraid I have no idea.

By the way you don't have to have them sorted in the left pane. That just shows what's available and what's installed.

The load order is on the right, and with newer MO versions make sure they're selected under the Archives tab in the data section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Entropic posted:

So food and horses are basically worthless eyecandy in the vanilla game, right?

I mean not that that's stopped me from filling my house with sweet rolls just because I thought it was funny.

Most food is but there are a few recipes that are suprisingly powerful.

Elsweyr Fondue: "Regenerate Magicka 25 points for 720 seconds. Fortify Magicka 100 points for 720 seconds "

12 minute potion of fortify + regenerate magicka. Unfortunately it uses Moon Sugar which i haven't found so far in Skyrim.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

give me thread posted:

By the way you don't have to have them sorted in the left pane. That just shows what's available and what's installed.
The left panel's priority order controls in what order files MO dumps files in the Data folder.
General advice: Have the order of your installed mods follow the loadorder of your plugins, unless you want certain files from one mod to overwrite some other mod's files.

NihilismNow posted:

Unfortunately it uses Moon Sugar which i haven't found so far in Skyrim.
The Khajit traders and the skooma dealer random encounter should always have some in stock. It also has small chance (10% I think) of showing up at apothecary merchants.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 30, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I think I'm about done and have done everything right but a quick question about Bash Patches, I followed the video linked above and used the suggested Tags BOSS said to use for my mods, made, then installed the patch, but when I run BOSS again it still shows the same "Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev, Stats}}" even after making the patch. Is this normal or did I goof?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

NihilismNow posted:

12 minute potion of fortify + regenerate magicka. Unfortunately it uses Moon Sugar which i haven't found so far in Skyrim.

I found one in a dungeon once, I think (or from a loot drop), and bought some off of a Khajit trader.

Hopefully I saved it and didn't fritter it away on potions I'll never use or for discovering alchemy effects. :doh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So is there a mod for Skyrim that's like an equivalent of Fallout's Increased Wasteland Spawns that just makes more stuff to fight? I'm about to try out the Immersive Patrols mod and I've heard the Organized Bandit mod adds some variety and volume to the potential encounters, but I was just wondering if there was a mod that just added bulk to existing encounters.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Im_Special posted:

So I think I'm about done and have done everything right but a quick question about Bash Patches, I followed the video linked above and used the suggested Tags BOSS said to use for my mods, made, then installed the patch, but when I run BOSS again it still shows the same "Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev, Stats}}" even after making the patch. Is this normal or did I goof?

This is normal. BOSS gives static advice so I doesn't know what's gone into your bashed patch.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm using MO and BOSS, but BOSS doesn't sort the mods in left pane, only the .esp files on the right pane under "plugins".

The texture packs don't even appear there, I can only see the conflicts by going into "information" on the mod and then checking the conflicting files (which are .dds from what I see).

I may be doing something wrong, though, so feel free to correct me. :v:

This is normal. BOSS only sorts esm/esp files. MO is the only manager that has the left pane all other managers rely on you installing mods in the correct order. Raygereio's advice of matching left side to right side is generally good. The lightning bolt symbol in the left pane means there is a conflict so you only really need to worry about those mods.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

Most food is but there are a few recipes that are suprisingly powerful.

Elsweyr Fondue: "Regenerate Magicka 25 points for 720 seconds. Fortify Magicka 100 points for 720 seconds "

Moon Sugar can be found at any of the Khajit Caravans.

Alternatively, I can make a mod that allows you to break down Skooma into one or two portions of Moon Sugar via the Cooking Menu. I'll see what I can do.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Lotish posted:

So is there a mod for Skyrim that's like an equivalent of Fallout's Increased Wasteland Spawns that just makes more stuff to fight? I'm about to try out the Immersive Patrols mod and I've heard the Organized Bandit mod adds some variety and volume to the potential encounters, but I was just wondering if there was a mod that just added bulk to existing encounters.

ASIS http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/18436/ or the Populated mods http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/6370620/?tb=mods&pUp=1 specifically Forts and Dungeons.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lotish posted:

If you just want increased spawns, the then the go to mod is ASIS. It can be a bit tricky to install, and can potentially make the game much harder (gently caress falmer) but you should have a lot of fun with it.

FEdit: 2 minutes, seriously?

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
Let me preface by saying I really, truly, want to love Skyrim. I have played Skyrim for a few hours and found it bland and boring, but my friend convinced me that I should try it out modded. However, I am completely turned off by modding because it seems like there is a lot of 'move this file, add this exe, change this setting, hope you don'tt break everything', and I really don't want to have to deal with that.

If anyone could recommend some good mods that are easy to deal with, I would be really grateful. In addition, I would like a mod that added some more spawns to the outside world (or some other mod that would address my boredom problem). I was constantly bored running around from quest to quest and barely encountering anything more than a stray wolf. Also, unlimited sprint would be a godsend (or some other solution to traveling long distances without a horse, maybe a sprint spell).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Scags posted:

Let me preface by saying I really, truly, want to love Skyrim. I have played Skyrim for a few hours and found it bland and boring, but my friend convinced me that I should try it out modded. However, I am completely turned off by modding because it seems like there is a lot of 'move this file, add this exe, change this setting, hope you don'tt break everything', and I really don't want to have to deal with that.

If anyone could recommend some good mods that are easy to deal with, I would be really grateful. In addition, I would like a mod that added some more spawns to the outside world (or some other mod that would address my boredom problem). I was constantly bored running around from quest to quest and barely encountering anything more than a stray wolf. Also, unlimited sprint would be a godsend (or some other solution to traveling long distances without a horse, maybe a sprint spell).

It would help to know what, exactly, you find boring about the game. The setting? The combat? The lack of choices and consequences?

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

It would help to know what, exactly, you find boring about the game. The setting? The combat? The lack of choices and consequences?

Very bland, samey, grey wilderness. Extensive travel time with few to no encounters (made worse by slow movement speed, small amount of sprint). Lack of interesting spell choices (channel fire from hand. Channel ice from hand. Wooohoo). Enchanted weapons being a pain in the rear end, due to needing to recharge them with soul crystals. Broken/OP stealth mechanics. Long time to level up, made worse by the fact that most perks are uninteresting number boosts.

The worst offender for me has to be the movespeed/travel time though. That first run from Whiterun to see the greybeards is the most boring thing, and any time I make a new character I quit halfway there out of sheer boredom. Honestly I just want more combat.

Edit - Thank you, by the way.

Edit 2 - I know there are horses, but would prefer to avoid them. I just don't like riding a horse.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

If I use skyrim HD should I go ahead and disable the bethesda HD packs or just overwrite and load the HD ones last in MO?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I'm kinda curious if all of the people complaining about how slow you move in Skyrim have played Morrowind.

Sylink posted:

If I use skyrim HD should I go ahead and disable the bethesda HD packs or just overwrite and load the HD ones last in MO?

You should load the Bethesda HD packs very high up, Skyrim HD right below it, and everything else should generally be after them. This way anything Skyrim HD doesn't touch won't be a lower resolution and any other misc mods you install can overwrite the older ones with their textures.

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 30, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Scags posted:

Very bland, samey, grey wilderness. Extensive travel time with few to no encounters (made worse by slow movement speed, small amount of sprint). Lack of interesting spell choices (channel fire from hand. Channel ice from hand. Wooohoo). Enchanted weapons being a pain in the rear end, due to needing to recharge them with soul crystals. Broken/OP stealth mechanics. Long time to level up, made worse by the fact that most perks are uninteresting number boosts.

SPERG can take care of the travel time (there's a perk you can unlock for much longer sprinting) and the boring leveling system. SPERG basically makes it so you just do poo poo and it makes you better at it automatically, so the only things you have to worry about when you level up are what actually-interesting perks you want to take that really add stuff to the game... and also increasing health or magicka or whatever. The drawback is that you didn't want stuff that's complicated to install, and SPERG requires you to launch the game from a separate .exe (being the Skyrim Script Extender), and you need like two other mods installed for it to work.

There are "ENB" mods which fix the lighting and weather, the most popular being Climates of Tamriel. You get nice lighting and post-processing effects, dynamic weather and clouds, etc.

For spells, Apocalypse Spells Pack gives you somewhere around 200 new spells (more unlock as you level up), including stuff like a fast-travel spell which is faster than sprint and lasts quite a long time. I started with it, so I don't really have a point of comparison for vanilla. Let's just say that the spells are interesting and there are so many that it's kind of overwhelming.

Immersive Patrols would probably clear up the "empty world" problem. You'll encounter battles out in the wild between all kind of different factions with dozens of combatants. I haven't tried it myself but people've said good things about it.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Oh hell yeah. That sounds perfect. Thank you. I will try this when I get home. I'm okay with mod-file-fuckery if I only have to do it for a couple things.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If your computer isn't up to ENB snuff I've found a happy medium with Dynavision (static Depth of Field) and Tamriel Reloaded. Nexus is down at the moment or I'd give links.

Apocalypse spell package includes "Almalexia's Grace," a low-level alteration spell that is basically like sprinting that costs magicka instead of stamina (and goes faster). Or you could, you know, fast travel and buy a horse.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lotish posted:

In addition to the things mentioned in previous posts, there's actually a Random Encounter mod by the same dude who did Random Encounters for New Vegas.

Works very well.

Quift
May 11, 2012
So i had semi stable loadout, but then my game CTD and now it wont even start.

I installed a house mod (the tesseract) whitch seems to have crashed the gme.

Is there any way to recuperate my save and where should I start?

Th CTD was when I entered dawnsar. I had both ETAC Dawnstar and Dawnstar hold active at the time which I thought caused the CTD but now Skyrrim wont launch.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Quift posted:

So i had semi stable loadout, but then my game CTD and now it wont even start.

I installed a house mod (the tesseract) whitch seems to have crashed the gme.

Is there any way to recuperate my save and where should I start?

Th CTD was when I entered dawnsar. I had both ETAC Dawnstar and Dawnstar hold active at the time which I thought caused the CTD but now Skyrrim wont launch.

If your game CTDs before the main menu then you've got a mod that is missing a master file. Load up Wrye Bash and look for any red marked plugin files.

Scags posted:

The worst offender for me has to be the movespeed/travel time though. That first run from Whiterun to see the greybeards is the most boring thing, and any time I make a new character I quit halfway there out of sheer boredom. Honestly I just want more combat.

SPERG and the Community Uncapper fix the leveling and useless perks thing. ASIS, Immersive Patrols, and the Populated series fix the lack of encounters/combat throughout the world. And Passive Weapon Recharging takes care of the enchanted weapons, making them recharge over time (although you can still use Soul Gems to charge them faster). If you want new content, I recommend Falskaar, Moonpath to Elsewyr, and Conan Hyborian Age. Those three are very good quest mods.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 30, 2013

Quift
May 11, 2012
The game wont start even when launched directly from the ordinary skyrim launcher witout any mods. Reinstalled to be sure. Now I have deleted the entire folder and I'm trying a fresh install and then I willl add skse and see if I can get the ordinary game to launch. Then I will try to reapply the mods.

No mod has been removed except Dawnstar expanded.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So I know plenty of mods to make more combat happen while traveling through skyrim. But is there any mods that let more of the little random roadside events happen that are not combat ?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

kaschei posted:

If your computer isn't up to ENB snuff I've found a happy medium with Dynavision (static Depth of Field) and Tamriel Reloaded. Nexus is down at the moment or I'd give links.

Just installed that Tamriel Reloaded and wow is it a pretty mod! And very little slowdown too :woop:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What other mods out there make the game generally harder (but still fair)? So far I'm using SPERG, Frostfall, and going to install Realistic Needs & Diseases. I basically loved S.T.A.L.K.E.R and the Misery mod because it made everything in that game harder, but a lot more rewarding.

e: Also is Nexusmods always this slow and down?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Avocados posted:

e: Also is Nexusmods always this slow and down?

Nope, there's a big post on the front page about how they're having trouble with the site due to attempted upgrades.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Never ceases to amaze how bad they are at maintaning their own infrastructure. I know the site basically has been running on old rear end layout/design/etc but seriously, it is baffling that a site their size does not have a development version they test on.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Has Steam Workshop gotten more use lately? It looks far easier to use and I'm surprised more modders aren't using it.

vvv: Ahh well I sound dumb. That makes a lot of sense.

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 30, 2013

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Avocados posted:

Has Steam Workshop gotten more use lately? It looks far easier to use and I'm surprised more modders aren't using it.

The problem with Steam Workshop is that they only allow ESP and BSA files which limits modders as well as forcing you to automatically update mods which can cause bad stuff to happen if the mod update has a game breaking bug.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I started a character, with Live Another Life, as a Dunmer refugee on Solstheim. I explored a little, quickly realized that being level 1 on Solstheim is not a Good Idea (it was a lot of spooky fun though) and want to get off this rock... but Gjalund Salt-Sage doesn't enter dialogue with me. He'll respond with "Speak, elf" when I try to talk to him, but nothing about passage to Skyrim.

Can I safely coc myself to Windhelm docks or is this a sign that I've broken the Solstheim quest somehow?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

kaschei posted:

I started a character, with Live Another Life, as a Dunmer refugee on Solstheim. I explored a little, quickly realized that being level 1 on Solstheim is not a Good Idea (it was a lot of spooky fun though) and want to get off this rock... but Gjalund Salt-Sage doesn't enter dialogue with me. He'll respond with "Speak, elf" when I try to talk to him, but nothing about passage to Skyrim.

Can I safely coc myself to Windhelm docks or is this a sign that I've broken the Solstheim quest somehow?

I think the LAL faq says you have to fast travel to Windhelm or some such.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

kaschei posted:

quickly realized that being level 1 on Solstheim is not a Good Idea (it was a lot of spooky fun though)

If you think this is bad(Great) you should try the Necromancer option. You start at the bottom of Blackreach. I spent 2 hour sneaking around trying to find a safe way out. I ended up using traps to kill a lot of mobs since they all 1 shot me.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

The problem with Steam Workshop is that they only allow ESP and BSA files which limits modders as well as forcing you to automatically update mods which can cause bad stuff to happen if the mod update has a game breaking bug.

You only update automatically if you run the Skyrim Launcher. If you subscribe to a mod, download it, then unsubscribe from it, you won't have that problem.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Now that I think about it, there was an "achievement" last sale regarding the Steam Workshop... that may explain why I suddenly have bearMusician.bsa on my file list.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Now that I think about it, there was an "achievement" last sale regarding the Steam Workshop... that may explain why I suddenly have bearMusician.bsa on my file list.

The real question is why wouldn't you have bearmusician.bsa in your file list :colbert:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

MadJackMcJack posted:

The real question is why wouldn't you have bearmusician.bsa in your file list :colbert:

Touché.

/edit: Holy poo poo, it has Hagraven dancing groupies.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 31, 2013

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How do people feel about Requiem? I'm a little uncertain if my Breton is going to make it out okay, because I've been worthless at almost everything except Conjuration magic and the odd archery attempt. My character is level 4 and it feels like the mod changed it from "choosing your class" to "choosing your race," because I can't imagine my Breton ever managing to mix armor and spells at the rate things are going. I've been pretty successful against bandits, and it's been fun so far, but getting the Dragon Claw at level 2 was a matter of running past the undead and quickloading until things work, and I don't know if that's going to be the rest of the game or not.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Clinton1011 posted:

If you think this is bad(Great) you should try the Necromancer option. You start at the bottom of Blackreach. I spent 2 hour sneaking around trying to find a safe way out. I ended up using traps to kill a lot of mobs since they all 1 shot me.

:hf: Necro blackreach instakilled buddy.

Question: I'm running Populated Lands Roads Paths which adds hireable Mercenary NPCs. Whenever I click on them, the only option I get is "Another time, perhaps" I'm also running the rest of the Populated mods and Inconsequential NPCs. Anybody else get this?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Avocados posted:

vvv: Ahh well I sound dumb. That makes a lot of sense.

Also subscribing to mods is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Has anyone used Undeath 1.3 with Dawnguard recently? It looks like the author of Undeath made his lich form exclusive with vampirism and lycanthropy which might make sense but kinda fucks over some content, particularly the vampire side of the Dawnguard quests. I was considering making a necromancer who would go with the vampires and then eventually a lich but I know the NPCs in Castle Volkihar will at the very least refuse to speak to you if you are no longer a vampire, and it doesn't make a ton of sense to me to go dawnguard faction as a necromancer.

• Locked thread