Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

In a bit of sweet, sweet irony, so is that link you posted...

Is this the one you meant?

Ah, I forgot to add "&perpage=5" to my link. Yeah, that's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Ah, I forgot to add "&perpage=5" to my link. Yeah, that's the one.

You really only read threads 5 posts at a time? Why?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baquerd posted:

Probably has slow or really capped internet. 5 posts at a time minimizes the load times and chances of having to wait for a whole bunch of images to load.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!
Can anyone identify this odd symbol Linux is using instead of a space?

It turned up as a replacement character in a folder name, which had previously been a space(files were created on a Mac) and now displays as such in Ubuntu

It doesn't affect operation, but I'm curious as to where the symbol comes from and how it ended up instead of a normal space.
Google reverse image search and tineye turned up nothing.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
That looks vaguely like arabic calligraphy?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rhizoid posted:

Can anyone identify this odd symbol Linux is using instead of a space?
I've had free and free for personal use fonts use weird symbols for spaces and periods, in sort of a nagware fashion.

Maybe due to some sort of filesystem hell, it's not an actual space, but something that would otherwise show up as a space. Except that in the font now used it's some sort of maker's mark.

Can you add a space to that shortcut name and have it show up as a space?

Can you copy the symbol into a word processing program and see if it shows up as a space when set to other fonts?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
There used to be a search engine that would ask you a series of questions about a symbol and then narrow it to a few that might match and give you some information about them. I can't seem to find it though. Anybody know if it's still around?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I want to replace my thermostat. Can I replace this with any old new digital thermostat?

Also, red was R, white was W, blue was G, yellow was Y, but there was a brown wire that wasn't attached to anything, and the other options are O, B and C. Any idea?

BTW my air conditioning has never worked here, it would be great if this mystery wire could fix that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Steve Yun posted:

I want to replace my thermostat. Can I replace this with any old new digital thermostat?

Also, red was R, white was W, blue was G, yellow was Y, but there was a brown wire that wasn't attached to anything, and the other options are O, B and C. Any idea?

BTW my air conditioning has never worked here, it would be great if this mystery wire could fix that.

Yes this will work with new digital thermostats. You might want to go to a hardware store with that picture of the wires in the wall and info on what you'll be controlling so they can help you find the right one, and figure out how to hook it up.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
This is a really stupid question.

We have two horses, one is red and one is black, and they didn't come with names. So now everyone just calls them "Red" and "Black". I think those are dumb names and it's not like they respond to them anyway. Anyone got a better idea for names? I was thinking something that meant red or black. My husband doesn't like my idea of calling the red one Ferruginous (it means reddish-brown) and I don't really want to call the black one Barack Obama (his suggestion).

Totally open to stupid/funny suggestions. They really don't give a crap either way, so I might as well get a little laugh out of it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Call the red one Black Beauty and the black one Red Rum.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I'm in the UK and recently some winds have blown over trees and stuff. The council sent workers to cut up or cut down branches and they've just left the wood on the ground, am I allowed to take it for firewood?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crankit posted:

I'm in the UK and recently some winds have blown over trees and stuff. The council sent workers to cut up or cut down branches and they've just left the wood on the ground, am I allowed to take it for firewood?

Is it on the road/sidewalk or is it on someone's property? You should be ok to take it so long as it isn't placed on someone else's property.

Cota Froise
May 12, 2009

Did you really just post that?
What are these?

They came as part of a fruit carving set and they seem to be some kind of cookie cutters. The set also had animals and flowers and such, but these two were separate from the rest. I don't know if they go together or what - I cannot identify them.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I've been playing Amnesia and Deus Ex and I would like to know what are some good stealth games that:
1. Allow you to ghost (go without being detected once in the whole game, don't have to incapacitate anyone).
2. Require you to plan out the way you will complete your objectives and navigate through the map. A limited supply of items requires you to be creative and think outside the box. Items can be used in a way you don't expect (for example, my preferred method of opening locked doors in Deus Ex was with LAMs, not lockpicks because 1. I had more LAMs and 2. 1 LAM<2 lockpicks).
3. Have considerable challenge.
4. You can play the game 50 times and find something new on the 51st playthrough.
5. Have an engaging, deep plot.
From what I've seen the Thief, Hitman, and Splinter Cell games seem pretty promising, and I've played Metal Gear before.
Are there any other games that I'm missing?
Advance thank you for any replies.
A game doesn't have to fulfill everything on the list, but it should be a stealth game. I apologize for any unintended vagueness.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 31, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Dishonored, and the new Deus Ex if you haven't played it since it came out

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

baquerd posted:

Image-heavy threads (particularly with large animated gifs) take ages to load if you have it set higher, and it's just generally a nicer, more convenient page length.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

razz posted:

We have two horses, one is red and one is black, and they didn't come with names. So now everyone just calls them "Red" and "Black". I think those are dumb names and it's not like they respond to them anyway. Anyone got a better idea for names? I was thinking something that meant red or black. My husband doesn't like my idea of calling the red one Ferruginous (it means reddish-brown) and I don't really want to call the black one Barack Obama (his suggestion).

Totally open to stupid/funny suggestions. They really don't give a crap either way, so I might as well get a little laugh out of it.

Rouge/Noir or a variation?

My horses have always "earned" their barn names. Maybe you just need more time with them.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Negative Entropy posted:

I've been playing Amnesia and Deus Ex and I would like to know what are some good stealth games that:
1. Allow you to ghost (go without being detected once in the whole game, don't have to incapacitate anyone).
2. Require you to plan out the way you will complete your objectives and navigate through the map. A limited supply of items requires you to be creative and think outside the box. Items can be used in a way you don't expect (for example, my preferred method of opening locked doors in Deus Ex was with LAMs, not lockpicks because 1. I had more LAMs and 2. 1 LAM<2 lockpicks).
3. Have considerable challenge.
4. You can play the game 50 times and find something new on the 51st playthrough.
5. Have an engaging, deep plot.
From what I've seen the Thief, Hitman, and Splinter Cell games seem pretty promising, and I've played Metal Gear before.
Are there any other games that I'm missing?
Advance thank you for any replies.
A game doesn't have to fulfill everything on the list, but it should be a stealth game. I apologize for any unintended vagueness.

You could try to play a stealth run through Dishonored. You might need to do the legwork yourself to know what's required to get through in a stealth-only run, but it is entirely possible and there are some pretty cool things people have done inside the game.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Are there any decent NES clone systems out there? My NES has had it, I'm afraid, and I'm looking at a Retro Entertainment System. I've seen complaints about picture & sound quality; are they that noticeable (playing on a CRT), if they do exist?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blenheim posted:

Are there any decent NES clone systems out there? My NES has had it, I'm afraid, and I'm looking at a Retro Entertainment System. I've seen complaints about picture & sound quality; are they that noticeable (playing on a CRT), if they do exist?

To be honest, there really aren't. You're best off simply using an emulator.

However, do consider that you can get working NESes on ebay or Amazon for only $20 and not have to deal with the compatibility/audio/video issues the clones have.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Ask in the small questions thread in DIY. Thermostat questions come up pretty frequently, and someone will probably be able to assist.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
So, I got an Apple TV for Christmas, trying to figure out if I should actually try it out or just return it. Personally I'm primarily an Android/Linux man, the wife is iPhone/Mac but she doesn't actually do music or video on these things. Our music and photo collection is on a Linux machine shared via NFS and CIFS to whatever machine happens to be convenient. We rarely (basically never) watch rented movies, we're in Canada so Netflix is pretty dismal (last time I checked, the offerings were not really worth the seemingly reasonable $7/month). Our HDTV is in the bedroom so it's not really in the cards to gather a bunch of friends around to subject them to slideshows or whatever. Is there a use case for this thing in our situation? Would love to hear if it has some sort of killer functionality I haven't heard of yet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The primary thing an Apple TV lets you do is easily watch stuff you bought from Apple on a display. If you don't already have a decent collection of Apple-purchased media, it's simply not useful.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Let's say you break your leg in a pay-per-view MMA fight. Is there any reason doctors couldn't or wouldn't immediately shoot you up with anaesthetic instead of examining you ("Yup, it's broken all right"), loading you onto a stretcher, and carrying you out of the arena while you scream in pain?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The people who check fighters after big injuries like that and before they get to a proper medical facility probably aren't licensed to administer any kind of painkiller stronger than like, aspirin

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!

Install Windows posted:

The primary thing an Apple TV lets you do is easily watch stuff you bought from Apple on a display. If you don't already have a decent collection of Apple-purchased media, it's simply not useful.

Pretty much what I suspected. I just googled, apparently there's a rooting scene for the Apple TV. Maybe it could be useful as a MythTV frontend.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muike posted:

The people who check fighters after big injuries like that and before they get to a proper medical facility probably aren't licensed to administer any kind of painkiller stronger than like, aspirin

I thought EMTs could give painkillers and other restricted drugs with a phone call to some docs at the ER receiving the patient.

Is this a tv myth?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Even if that is true, they probably get to the hospital faster by skipping that step. I imagine that they do get some kind of pain reliever in the ambulance if they're going to a hospital or something.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

socketwrencher posted:

Let's say you break your leg in a pay-per-view MMA fight. Is there any reason doctors couldn't or wouldn't immediately shoot you up with anaesthetic instead of examining you ("Yup, it's broken all right"), loading you onto a stretcher, and carrying you out of the arena while you scream in pain?

Unfortunately for the sufferer, the degree of pain is a diagnostic tool. Pretty much every time I've broken a leg (don't ask) I've not received anything in the way of painkillers until I've at least had an initial exam by the ER doctor, which usually involves a bit of poking and twisting of the area to see how erect your scalp hairs get. Also, as above, the sort of painkillers that make a difference to a broken leg wouldn't be in the ringside kit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

razz posted:

"Elmer" and "Viande."

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

razz posted:

Horse names.

Luna and Macintosh. (I looked them up.) Then laugh at everyone who knows unironically that they are Ponies. My daughter also has a red "Sunset Shimmer" but that's a little much.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have an ancient flickr account from before the yahoo buyout. Is there anyway I can recover the password?

Since it's not connected to a yahoo email, I can't recover the passport that way. Still have access to the email that I used to create the account.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

I have an ancient flickr account from before the yahoo buyout. Is there anyway I can recover the password?

Since it's not connected to a yahoo email, I can't recover the passport that way. Still have access to the email that I used to create the account.

Will this work?

http://www.flickr.com/forgot.gne

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yes! Thank you!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The correct answer for the horse names is Snoopy...and Prickly Pete. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

syscall girl posted:

I thought EMTs could give painkillers and other restricted drugs with a phone call to some docs at the ER receiving the patient.

Is this a tv myth?

EMT-Ps can in my state and at least several others. EMT-P meaning "paramedics."

But that would rarely be allowed/authorized. If the pain is bad enough they'll eventually pass out. The docs are most likely going to want to deal with them unmedicated before making any decisions about the course of care.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Can't they put local anaethetics on the leg though? They'll throw some X-Rays on that bitch for diagnostics anyway, what do they need to twist it and ask the dude how much it hurts?

muike posted:

Pretty sure those guys are doctors. I fought an amateur fight once and we had a real doctor present. (e.g. this lady is a neurologist http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/12/3976948/dr-margaret-goodman-vada-ped-steroid-interview )

niethan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 31, 2013

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

muike posted:

I figured they must have doctors on hand ready to respond to serious injuries but I don't really know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

muike posted:

Interesting.