Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

There's a new The Gamer out. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/The-Gamer/Vol-001-Ch-016-Read-Online?id=182733

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Suddenly, Magical Exam Student is the best thing in the world :allears:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/212962/magical-exam-student_ch6_by_vendetta-scans

TRIMMING COMPLETE :black101:

EDIT:

This is driving my inner Timmy nuts. ALLOCATE YOUR POINTS ALREADY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 21, 2013

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

This is driving my inner Timmy nuts. ALLOCATE YOUR POINTS ALREADY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

He's doing it right. You allocate the minimum stats required to equip your items and then hoard the rest for anything special that might pop up.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

EDIT:

How can he possibly do that without knowing what to minmax? :spergin:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Tornhelm posted:

He's doing it right. You allocate the minimum stats required to equip your items and then hoard the rest for anything special that might pop up.

Pretty much this. I know your pain gamer dude. Where the gently caress is the respec guy anyway? Why the hell is there no manual? Remember that item description last chapter? Mark my words, the devs are laughing at us right now, fuckin' devs. :argh:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Spend everything on luck. Win lotto. Get best equipment. Break game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Using wis as a dump stat is going to come back to bite him in the rear end.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Serious Frolicking posted:

Using wis as a dump stat is going to come back to bite him in the rear end.

You mean he isn't wise enough to know he shouldn't dump wisdom?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Soylentbits posted:

Spend everything on luck. Win lotto. Get best equipment. Break game.

If we're lucky there'll be a side chapter where this happens

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Put it all into Resistance. The best skill.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
Cha, is the one true dump stat, so dump it doesn't even exit.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
So how is he going to learn more spells? Raising his int more? I want to see him go full wizard, he should at least learn fireball.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Vitality is where i'd put every odd point. More HP is always useful. He's also got a vague idea of how much damage someone his level could/should be doing and if he's tracked that since level one he might be able to extrapolate and oh god why am i thinking about this so much.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Blinks77 posted:

Vitality is where i'd put every odd point. More HP is always useful. He's also got a vague idea of how much damage someone his level could/should be doing and if he's tracked that since level one he might be able to extrapolate and oh god why am i thinking about this so much.

There's no better "protagonist gets a mid-battle power-up and defeats previously overwhelming foe" than finding a way to cheese the battle through stat gain. If adding a point to VIT happened to restore his HP and he could do it 20+ times in addition to the "you take less damage after getting hit a lot" skill, that'd be interestingly masochistic. Alternatively, the cliche "He's twice as strong as when we begun fighting!? HOW?" scene occurring because he dumped enough points in STR mid-battle to actually be twice as strong.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Can anyone recommend another slice of life webcomic like Cheese in the Trap? I love it so much but I've hit the extent of the OddSquad translations and would like something else to go through.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Pretty much this. I know your pain gamer dude. Where the gently caress is the respec guy anyway? Why the hell is there no manual? Remember that item description last chapter? Mark my words, the devs are laughing at us right now, fuckin' devs. :argh:

We haven't even gotten a glimpse at Mounts yet. :getin:

The Gamer sounded like a dumb premise at first, but I'm really enjoying it so far. The plot seems to be slow so far but I can settle for that as we learn the world mechanics and our protagonist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

district 12 posted:

Can anyone recommend another slice of life webcomic like Cheese in the Trap? I love it so much but I've hit the extent of the OddSquad translations and would like something else to go through.

Wow, I didn't think anyone else in this thread was reading Cheese in the Trap.

Unfortunately, outside of actual manga rather than manwha, I can't think of any, sorry!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow, I didn't think anyone else in this thread was reading Cheese in the Trap.

Unfortunately, outside of actual manga rather than manwha, I can't think of any, sorry!

Here's one other person! I actually started reading Cheese in the Trap when only ~25 chapters were translated, but then I lost track of it for awhile. Your posts about it were a great reminder for me.

As for district 12's question: I haven't encountered another manhwa similar to Cheese in the Trap's setting, but here are a few slice of life ones I've enjoyed. I'm terrible at describing, but I'll try anyway. :shobon:

Pinocchio is a story about a girl who picks up a mysterious pendant one day and encounters a ghost. But instead of focusing only on the supernatural aspects, it mainly deals with how they go about their daily lives. Some points I like about it: the artist does a similar thing to Cheese in the Trap where the art goes from detailed faces to those extremely simplified, abstract ones. I think the characters are endearing too.

Nineteen-Twenty One is short but amazing. It centers around two young adults who at first meet because of their shared love of cats, but their relationship evolves into a story about friendship and romance. The art's superb, and it's really relaxing to read.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

ToiletDuckie posted:

There's no better "protagonist gets a mid-battle power-up and defeats previously overwhelming foe" than finding a way to cheese the battle through stat gain. If adding a point to VIT happened to restore his HP and he could do it 20+ times in addition to the "you take less damage after getting hit a lot" skill, that'd be interestingly masochistic. Alternatively, the cliche "He's twice as strong as when we begun fighting!? HOW?" scene occurring because he dumped enough points in STR mid-battle to actually be twice as strong.
Man, all that would be loving great :allears:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
New Noblesse. Those blood wings will always be bad rear end, though I'm not sure this scene can top when Rai took down the two clan leaders at the same time.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
New chapter of The Gamer, in which all the stat allocation discussion is (somewhat) answered.

Those reaction faces at the end were glorious. :allears:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
His ability can spread :allears:

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Nahxela posted:

His ability can spread :allears:

99% chance he's the "locus" of the ability (meaning it will only involve others from a secondary standpoint). Otherwise its gonna be all Dice and that's gonna get boring really fast.

Also, calling a gag where he pm's something in the middle of the loving night just because.

E: Gag #2: A bitching sword drops and they argue over it and finish with a /roll

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 27, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Wozbo posted:

Also, calling a gag where he pm's something in the middle of the loving night just because.

Now I want him to go into marketing and start spamming.

02:00 Han Jee-han: Eggs are only 1.99@ tomorrow! Limited time offer!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nondevor posted:

New chapter of The Gamer, in which all the stat allocation discussion is (somewhat) answered.

Those reaction faces at the end were glorious. :allears:

It's a really odd feeling to watch RPG style stats discussed in a real life context.

And yeah, the reaction to the party invite at the end was amazing, I actually burst out laughing. You could tell that he still had just a little doubt about "The Gamer" ability and that shocked him right out of it. I wonder if they can use party chat to communicate telepathically or something? No more cell phone bill! Massive cheating on tests at school! Holy hell, could he just use private messages to do that with anyone he knows the name of? The possibilities are endless. :allears:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So the raw of Noblesse 310 is out and concludes Rai's battle.

I'll update this once the translation is out too.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Lyon posted:

So the raw of Noblesse 310 is out and concludes Rai's battle.

I'll update this once the translation is out too.

http://mngacow.com/noblesse/310/

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh, were Nobles(and werewolves for that matter) always able to straight up fly? I can accept Roctis and Rai but...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RatHat posted:

Uh, were Nobles(and werewolves for that matter) always able to straight up fly? I can accept Roctis and Rai but...

Well A clan leader and a very powerful werewolf, and frankenstein can fly so, high powered ones at least.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
So, after the most recent chapter of Noblesse, with Roctis now dead, his Soul Weapon passes to Ignes right? Ever since it was revealed that their family's weapon is a whip, you've just known that she's gonna get to use it for at least a while; she's obviously a sadist so a whip is the perfect weapon for her. I hope she escapes for now and becomes a long term Rival Bad Guy, she seems like a good fit to partner-up with Cromwell now that Elder #9 is gone.

The only question for next week is, how will her Power-Up manifest? I hope that it's a Larger Visible Aura; that's definitely my favorite anime Power-Up trope. And since she's so evil, if that aura doesn't look like a giant miasmic cloud I want my money back.

Also, when did Ignes' hair turn so short? Did I miss the scene when it gets cut off or something?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
So I was trying to read Cheese in the trap when the translation bookmark thing completely broke and isn't working for any chapters. Any ideas what might be up?

e: looks like their servers are down

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 31, 2013

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
Don't think anyone has brought up Dr. Frost yet

From Batoto: We trust professionals with our money. We also trust professionals with our bodies. We even trust them with the most meticulous tasks, like decorating our homes and educating our children. Even marriage decisions. We could trust professionals with so many things. However, what about our minds?

The story of a genius psychologist, Dr. Frost.

A story of overly dramatized psych counseling, from a Doctor with more then his own fair share of issues. Kinda like house but more apathetic than rear end in a top hat. There is also a dog name Pavlov with a little bit of brain damage.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Dr. Frost is really good. Some case might be bleh but most of them is very interesting and well researched.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Another Poster posted:

Dr. Frost is really good. Some case might be bleh but most of them is very interesting and well researched.

It's worth keeping in mind that at least some things are based upon ideas that have since been debunked, like Rorschach tests. Then again, this is partly because many of the ideas that have popped up during the past 100+ years in the history of psychology research have been debunked or aren't really supported by evidence. This is largely because, unlike other parts of the body, it's almost impossible to do detailed research on the brain while a person is still alive*, and human brains differ greatly from those of the other mammals we would normally use as a proxy for this sort of research, like mice/rats (which isn't to say that data from those other species isn't useful, but it's less useful than if you were looking at a different part of the body).

*If you wanted to see the effect of some medication/therapy on a disease that affects a person's muscles (or even an internal organ like the lungs or liver) or causes a fever, you can do so relatively easily by taking a biopsy and/or measuring the levels of different chemicals in a person's bloodstream. But you can't (at least without very invasive surgery) look at the level of various chemicals inside a person's brain while they're alive, and due to the blood brain barrier you can't just take blood from their wrist/arm. As a result, we can only really rely on a description of symptoms before and after a patient uses a psychiatric medication. You can't (reasonably) drill a hole in someone's skull and measure how much dopamine/endorphins/whatever they're producing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ytlaya posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that at least some things are based upon ideas that have since been debunked, like Rorschach tests. Then again, this is partly because many of the ideas that have popped up during the past 100+ years in the history of psychology research have been debunked or aren't really supported by evidence. This is largely because, unlike other parts of the body, it's almost impossible to do detailed research on the brain while a person is still alive*, and human brains differ greatly from those of the other mammals we would normally use as a proxy for this sort of research, like mice/rats (which isn't to say that data from those other species isn't useful, but it's less useful than if you were looking at a different part of the body).

*If you wanted to see the effect of some medication/therapy on a disease that affects a person's muscles (or even an internal organ like the lungs or liver) or causes a fever, you can do so relatively easily by taking a biopsy and/or measuring the levels of different chemicals in a person's bloodstream. But you can't (at least without very invasive surgery) look at the level of various chemicals inside a person's brain while they're alive, and due to the blood brain barrier you can't just take blood from their wrist/arm. As a result, we can only really rely on a description of symptoms before and after a patient uses a psychiatric medication. You can't (reasonably) drill a hole in someone's skull and measure how much dopamine/endorphins/whatever they're producing.

It's a pretty fun read, I agree.

As an interesting thing, my quantum mechanics professor in university was dual-appointed to the psych department. His research consists of putting little tiny electrodes into a specific type of finch's brain and administering mild currents and analyzing the effect on the song. Just feeding into the proxies thing, I guess.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Silynt posted:

So, after the most recent chapter of Noblesse, with Roctis now dead, his Soul Weapon passes to Ignes right? Ever since it was revealed that their family's weapon is a whip, you've just known that she's gonna get to use it for at least a while; she's obviously a sadist so a whip is the perfect weapon for her. I hope she escapes for now and becomes a long term Rival Bad Guy, she seems like a good fit to partner-up with Cromwell now that Elder #9 is gone.

The only question for next week is, how will her Power-Up manifest? I hope that it's a Larger Visible Aura; that's definitely my favorite anime Power-Up trope. And since she's so evil, if that aura doesn't look like a giant miasmic cloud I want my money back.

Also, when did Ignes' hair turn so short? Did I miss the scene when it gets cut off or something?

I don't think the soul weapon passes automatically. Seems like there is some ritual stuff that needs to be done to pass it off based on previous mentions of soul weapons, including the split one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cynic Jester posted:

I don't think the soul weapon passes automatically. Seems like there is some ritual stuff that needs to be done to pass it off based on previous mentions of soul weapons, including the split one.

I wonder if Ignes did something that makes the transfer impossible and that's why Roctis went through all this?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

After reading up until the current chapter of Dr. Frost, I just wanted to mention that the topics become much more strongly rooted in reality after the beginning, and the author even mentions at one point that he threw some things that weren't entirely accurate into the beginning of the series just to act as a hook and get people interested. He also usually throws in any caveats to avoid misleading the reader; for example, when hypnosis comes up he mentions how many people aren't susceptible and that we don't understand the exact mechanisms behind what affects susceptibility. The author has actually consulted with various university faculty when writing the series and will have various experts read over his plots to check for accuracy.

The author is really doing a great thing by presenting therapy/counseling in such a positive light. As he mentions at several points, there's a massive stigma associated with psychiatric treatment in Korea (and East Asia in general). I wouldn't be surprised if many people have received treatment who wouldn't have otherwise solely due to this comic. He actually mentions at one point that his favorite feedback has been from people who told him that they were going to seek out treatment.

So yeah; Dr. Frost is a really good thing. Korea is a really backwards place in many ways, and things like this can go a long way towards fixing that.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
New Breaker http://www.mangapanda.com/the-breaker-new-waves/142

And new Gamer http://www.mangapanda.com/the-gamer/18
A boss battle approaches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
The Childrens Teacher Mr. Kwon

A gangster needs to hide from the law for a while and decides to become a teacher out in the sticks, in a class with only 5 or so students of varying ages. There's bound to be a comparison to GTO but it's much more mellow and he seems to be a certified gangsters as opposed to a pervert. It's still early on, but he seems to grow close with the children eventually even helping them out.

A child is also convinced he is ranger red.

I need to read less of these.