Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CollegeCop posted:

I think this only shows up if you have an actual Kindle. None of our Android phones or tablets show up on that page for me, just a single "Turn on/off one click" button.

Call Amazon's phone support. They WILL help you out, or definitively tell you that it's not possible then log a ticket with the appropriate group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

CollegeCop posted:

I think this only shows up if you have an actual Kindle. None of our Android phones or tablets show up on that page for me, just a single "Turn on/off one click" button.

Actually yeah I guess my phone and tablet don't show up on there either. But then again neither do my kids kindles (1st gen Fire's) and they are set up on the kindle themselves to not allow IAP or purchasing without the password.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have a report from my pod. It's been quite a day.

Today was the big move for our HQ. Was going to spend the morning doing more prep on our new floor which was clearly behind schedule considering we were supposed to move in the afternoon and open Monday morning. I was down in my cubicle (I lost the office I had upstairs) and I was cleaning construction filth off the counters. The CEO walked by and said "You should have an office. You need your privacy. I'll take care of it Monday."

I was doing this at the time: :stare:

He then proceeds to go apeshit on the general contractor for how far behind things are and heads back upstairs. I keep going between floors trying to get things ready for the shutdown at 2pm when I'll move the PRI and all the old equipment down to the new floor to mingle with the new equipment.

An hour before move time the CEO's assistant tells me I'm being moved. I will be taking over...

...wait for it...

...my boss's office. :stare:

She's only in twice a week and apparently that struck the CEO as kind of a waste of an office and that I could put it to better use. They'll make a small office for her somewhere else once the move has settled down. This was the person that gave me the dumbest pushback when I pressed to get an office and now I have her office.

I have a window for the first time since 1998. This is what it looked like earlier today before the furniture guys added a small desk module to it. Less counter space than my proposed cubicle but at least twice as big as my old office, lots of storage and a goddamn window looking out at the Santa Monica Mountains.

To top it off the move went fine. All the equipment is behaving and tomorrow and Sunday I'll get all the phones programmed, PCs and copiers set up, you name it. It's been a great way to close out 2013.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 28, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You won't get any privacy with people being able to stare at you with those windows, tell your CEO to find a better place :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

All the offices are glassed in, and this is one of the better ones as far as I'm concerned. There are larger ones but they have clunky old-fashioned furniture and no window.

I'd been feeling down over what felt like an expulsion, booted out of my office, put on the other side of the floor away from the executives I've been working with at the HQ the last three years. This feels much better. Going to be hard putting all my crap away though since I lost the storage space I had upstairs.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
How much of a stink is your bosslady going to make over your usurpation?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Wait, has it really been three years since your exodus? :pysduck:

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
For 2+ years I was not allowed the office I wanted, that would have been dramatically more convenient for the business, because a contractor that came to the office 4 hours a week maximum needed to use that desk. This wasn't her request/decision, it was someone at the business. Some dramatic changes later and turns out she doesn't really give a poo poo she just needs a place to lay out a file.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

How much of a stink is your bosslady going to make over your usurpation?

Let's just say that if I have to pick who I would rather have on my side I'll go with the CEO/founder over my boss. She just gave me a great review, and her own boss (who used to be my boss) was the one that selected her new workspace so she'd look pretty dumb giving me grief over this.

Also if I want some peace I can just close and lock my door. :smug:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
She's still going to be pissed and looking for "mistakes" that you've made like following instructions to the letter instead of mindreading when somebody actually meant to say something else. Make sure to double up on any CYA paperwork.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Verizian posted:

She's still going to be pissed and looking for "mistakes" that you've made like following instructions to the letter instead of mindreading when somebody actually meant to say something else. Make sure to double up on any CYA paperwork.

I think that Dick's ability to put up with bad bosses of any kind in this, almost the year of our lord 2014 A.T., is pretty much unsurpassed.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I have a report from my pod. It's been quite a day.

Today was the big move for our HQ. Was going to spend the morning doing more prep on our new floor which was clearly behind schedule considering we were supposed to move in the afternoon and open Monday morning. I was down in my cubicle (I lost the office I had upstairs) and I was cleaning construction filth off the counters. The CEO walked by and said "You should have an office. You need your privacy. I'll take care of it Monday."

I was doing this at the time: :stare:

He then proceeds to go apeshit on the general contractor for how far behind things are and heads back upstairs. I keep going between floors trying to get things ready for the shutdown at 2pm when I'll move the PRI and all the old equipment down to the new floor to mingle with the new equipment.

An hour before move time the CEO's assistant tells me I'm being moved. I will be taking over...

...wait for it...

...my boss's office. :stare:

She's only in twice a week and apparently that struck the CEO as kind of a waste of an office and that I could put it to better use. They'll make a small office for her somewhere else once the move has settled down. This was the person that gave me the dumbest pushback when I pressed to get an office and now I have her office.

I have a window for the first time since 1998. This is what it looked like earlier today before the furniture guys added a small desk module to it. Less counter space than my proposed cubicle but at least twice as big as my old office, lots of storage and a goddamn window looking out at the Santa Monica Mountains.

To top it off the move went fine. All the equipment is behaving and tomorrow and Sunday I'll get all the phones programmed, PCs and copiers set up, you name it. It's been a great way to close out 2013.

For those outside the pod, I saw that another group in IT now has office cubicles, which offer all the size of a cubicle combined with extra claustrophobia. Take regular square cubicle, squish it into a rectangle, extend walls to ceiling, put in door.
The only nice thing with them is at least they'd be warm, until a 2nd person walks in and the combined body heat turns it into a sauna.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CitizenKain posted:

For those outside the pod, I saw that another group in IT now has office cubicles, which offer all the size of a cubicle combined with extra claustrophobia. Take regular square cubicle, squish it into a rectangle, extend walls to ceiling, put in door.
The only nice thing with them is at least they'd be warm, until a 2nd person walks in and the combined body heat turns it into a sauna.

I mean, if I'm going to be in a closet-sized enclosure anyway, I think I'd rather have one that doesn't distract me with prairie dogs all day. Probably keeps more background noise out too. I guess it would depend on how squished it is though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ahh India.

My coworker, who's name is Doug is engaged in a conversation with our counterparts in India.

Every message addressed to him (on which the rest of us are included) opens:

quote:

Dear Dough,

What's even more fun is that the 'problem' involves virtuception. The person is trying to use a Win7 VDI as a VirtualBox host doing some Ubuntu development (we have Ubuntu VDIs available).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Everyone in India thinks I'm a woman, because my last name can be interpreted as a common female name.

It's weird getting messages from Indian people with flower emotes.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ahh India.

My coworker, who's name is Doug is engaged in a conversation with our counterparts in India.

Every message addressed to him (on which the rest of us are included) opens:

Dear Dough,

I'm sure someone as well bread as him will be able to rise to the situatuion and deal with it.
The VM in a VM thing sounds like a half baked solution though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Lum posted:

I'm sure someone as well bread as him will be able to rise to the situatuion and deal with it.

Yeah, the bread jokes have been flying around the group for the last few days.

I'm really not sure what they're trying to do or why VBox within a VM is a viable solution. They're doing some stuff in git and then pushing that out somewhere. Their script then fires up a headless Ubuntu VM in VBox.

The weird part is that they've been using this solution in our Xen environment for a couple of years now. They're only having trouble in the KVM environment.

It's so much easier to nope.jpg them when it never worked before, but now that there's precedent, it's a bit more difficult.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Migishu posted:

Everyone in India thinks I'm a woman, because my last name can be interpreted as a common female name.

A lot of the time people from our Indian office will address you by your surname, especially if they feel that you're superior and/or unfamiliar to them in some way. It seems to be a culture thing, but it still seems odd sometime especially as emails end up in the form of "Dear <surname>," with no use of "Mr" or "Ms", presumably because they don't want to risk offense if they're wrong.

That last part I can certainly understand - Indian and western names are very different. A general rule for us westerners is that if an Indian first name ends with a vowel then there's a decent chance that person is a woman, but it's by no means a certainty (maybe 80%). Western names also follow this to some extent but usually only for the more 'traditional' names, and even then it's still just a guide.

Tl;dr: names are tricky.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I wouldn't mind the surname addressing if they would simply do it properly.

My last name ends with an 's'. If you want to address me by it, use it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lum posted:

Don't make fun of bread Wang. He's our lab engineer! :v:

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
I got an e-mail from a co-worker today:

Subject: What's this mean?
Body:

Attachment: software warning.docx

I move the document over to a vm, open it, and it's blank. I contact the user face to face, find out that they e-mailed themselves a screenshot, then decided instead of forwarding the e-mail to me, attempted to paste the screenshot into a word document and then send it that way.

My only thought during this was "welp".

canis minor
May 4, 2011

rolleyes posted:

A lot of the time people from our Indian office will address you by your surname, especially if they feel that you're superior and/or unfamiliar to them in some way. It seems to be a culture thing, but it still seems odd sometime especially as emails end up in the form of "Dear <surname>," with no use of "Mr" or "Ms", presumably because they don't want to risk offense if they're wrong.

That last part I can certainly understand - Indian and western names are very different. A general rule for us westerners is that if an Indian first name ends with a vowel then there's a decent chance that person is a woman, but it's by no means a certainty (maybe 80%). Western names also follow this to some extent but usually only for the more 'traditional' names, and even then it's still just a guide.

Tl;dr: names are tricky.

While I kind of understand Dough / Doug situation (autocomplete, or just plain force of habit), it's still bad, as you won't really correct it (idk, I would feel uncomfortable being on either side, if I've been talking to given person for some time). My name is Pawel, yet still in a visit to bank it got changed to Pawet (nevermind that I capitalized everything), and one of our (western) clients kept addressing me as Pawn.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Migishu posted:

Ha. Years ago when I shipped you that DS, You had only sent me your name as Firstinitial.Lastname. So : At the UPS Store I'm trying to get the shipment sorted out and they were all "IS THIS SOME SORT OF INTERNET SCAM YOU'VE FALLEN FOR?? WHAT IS THIS PERSON'S NAME?"

"His name is um.... PPpppppatrick?"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nerdrock posted:

Ha. Years ago when I shipped you that DS, You had only sent me your name as Firstinitial.Lastname. So : At the UPS Store I'm trying to get the shipment sorted out and they were all "IS THIS SOME SORT OF INTERNET SCAM YOU'VE FALLEN FOR?? WHAT IS THIS PERSON'S NAME?"

"His name is um.... PPpppppatrick?"

Oh man, the names of people I've shipped things to from the UPS store without them batting an eye...

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh man, the names of people I've shipped things to from the UPS store without them batting an eye...

Oh yeah, this is a gift for my cousin, DongChudXx420.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nerdrock posted:

Oh yeah, this is a gift for my cousin, DongChudXx420.

Moana was my mod secret santee the other year, which I figured would raise some eyebrows.

I also once sent a friend some stuff he left behind when he moved away from college and used a name that was a mix of his real name, his fraternity name and some other unrelated nicknames. There was one initial and at least 3 hyphens.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

While we're talking about Indian names, I just noticed that the support case we opened recently with NetApp was handled by a tech named Ravi Shankar :stare:

(TLDR, hugely famous Indian musician, worked with the Beatles, etc)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Best coworked names to date?

Afroz and Grex :block101:

Makes me think of some kind of barbarian IT and his sidekick.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So last week I called Bell, the new ISP, to setup reverse DNS. They were still getting bounce-backs due to reverse DNS so I called up the ISP

The ticket number they gave me doesn't exist and surprise, the work wasn't done. So I submitted another ticket today, called back, got a different agent and verified that yes a ticket is in queue for it.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Is there an IRC channel you guys sit in during the day?

A ticket came in...

'Cannot connect with skype, need this for work meetings, help asap'

We don't allow skype at all, and i don't know how this person even got it installed, but now it's my job to find out how. Great start to the day.

fake edit: He called back when i was typing this out. He's new to the company, only been here for 3 months. He said it's work before. This guy is dillusional.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email argument came in:

Account Lead: Why didn't you do ticket : X? It was due on the 16th
Me: I don't remember seeing that ticket before, let me look it up. Looks like it was on the board for <a different client> until the 28th when you moved it to the correct board
Account Lead: No, it was always on the right board, you screwed up.
Me: <copy pastes audit trail> no, it was on the other board until the 28th, you moved it, escalated the priority today and emailed me from the ticket
Account Lead: Get it done NOW!

The ticket in question is technically his job. Basically a user count for our accounting department to make sure were charging them enough

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

Me: I don't remember seeing that ticket before, let me look it up. Looks like it was on the board for <a different client> until the 28th when you moved it to the correct board
Me: <copy pastes audit trail> no, it was on the other board until the 28th, you moved it, escalated the priority today and emailed me from the ticket

The ticket in question is technically his job. Basically a user count for our accounting department to make sure were charging them enough

I would never let someone talk to me like that in the workplace.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

blackswordca posted:

Never you mind what I did or didn't do or how I might have messed up! The ticket needs to be done NOW and it's all somehow your fault!

Also, I am going to report you for your bad attitude and lack of customer service.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe he's mad you got an office.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

Yeah, that would get escalated so fast in mine.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

Hey I thought you weren't allowed to have audit trails. Someone should write you up for that.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

Seriously, just start going off on these shitlords for treating you like crap. What the gently caress are they going to do?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackswordca posted:

"Hi boss, just wanted to forward you this in case there are any questions as to why this wasn't done."

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

baquerd posted:

"Hi boss, just wanted to forward you this in case there are any questions as to why this wasn't done."

"Hi, BlackSwordCa, This is boss. Here is your termination notice for ignoring our non-auditing company policy. THIS IS ENTRAPMENT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Nerdrock posted:

"Hi, BlackSwordCa, This is boss. Here is your termination notice for ignoring our non-auditing company policy. THIS IS ENTRAPMENT!"

This would probably be the best thing to happen for him. Not sure of the laws in Canada, but at least in the US, if you're fired, you can get Unemployment Benefits. At the very least, he'd finally be out of that poo poo hole.

• Locked thread