Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

LtStorm posted:

It's been said, but never shown before. I had actually started assuming she didn't actually talk to them and just had a deep empathy for animals above what a normal person could have. Given, this is an after-chapter page so that may be true in the regular pages.

Tom said a while back that the after-chapter bits are canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Parahexavoctal posted:

That's also why she was so excited to see cows .

Man, I have to think that cows would be even worse conversationalists than the mice

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parahexavoctal posted:

That's also why she was so excited to see cows .

In the page right after that one, is Paz singing a song I'm unfamiliar with, or is she just saying something in Spanish?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Rasamune posted:

Man, I have to think that cows would be even worse conversationalists than the mice

Spoken like someone who's never had a telepathic conversation with a cow.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

rotinaj posted:

In the page right after that one, is Paz singing a song I'm unfamiliar with, or is she just saying something in Spanish?

She says "lets see if they're beautiful" in Spanish, but as far as I can tell it's not 100% grammatical.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Ah what the hell, taken.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Prison Warden posted:

Every kid in Queslett has some kind of odd or unusual talent apparently. Jack can fly, Paz can talk to animals Smitty has his thing, Surma and Annie were Fire Elementals, Anja had magic ether powers, Donald and Kat do machines, Winnsbury's cool but rude and Matt is a party dude.

All the houses probably have their own gimmick, like how Foley is full of Forest students, and how Chester is apparently full of weirdos and freaks. Who knows what Thornhill's deal is, since Parley is the only student of any significance from there.

I wonder why Parley isn't in Queslett, given that she has the ability to teleport.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Oz posted:

I wonder why Parley isn't in Queslett, given that she has the ability to teleport.

She only had manifested that power recently, so she would have been assigned a different house before.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I'm on the fence between saying "it's actually random and chance just sends the magic mans to Queslett more often" and saying they've got a Sorting Hat type of thing that decides where their greatest potential is if they could possibly fit into more than one house.

Prison Warden posted:

Donald and Kat do machines, Winnsbury's cool but rude and Matt is a party dude.

My hero.

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Daktar posted:

Thornhill's for athletically/martially inclined students, perhaps? Maybe it's the court version of Cadets.

You might have something there. Parley is an excellent fencer. That one friend of hers always has a tennis racquet. Cookie Monster uh... swims? The weird kids are always swimmers.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Regarding house talk, also keep in mind that Surma and Anja were originally placed into Chester, then later moved into Queslett, so the court does seem to want students in specific houses.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Maybe Zimmy wasn't lying when she said she had been hearing things from the 'rats' after all. :tinfoil:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Hexlotl posted:

Tangentially related to the Robot Jesus discussion, what about the fact that Kat is trying to grow a robot that looks like a bird? The Tic-Tocs grow and look like birds, and we already know that the robots think they were created by a god or angel. If Kat really manages to make a robo-bird, she's going to hit all the notes to be considered a Divine Creator, and then there's really going to be trouble.

Or parties. You never know, in Gunnerkrigg.

Also maybe Coyote's got the wrong idea and the Court isn't trying to become god, it's trying to make gods?

Maybe Kat created them retroactively. The ether can totally do that. And the first thing we see them do is save Annie from falling.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure Tom once said both Queslett and Thornhill are a mix of normal students and ones with neat powers, with Queslett tending towards more neat powers and Thornhill tending towards more boring normal kids. But it's the other two houses that really have a specific theme (Forests Creatures and Real Weird poo poo as far as I remember.)

Also I think Jack was just a low level compared to Kat Good At Science guy before the whole magic spider in his brain thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prison Warden posted:

All the houses probably have their own gimmick, like how Foley is full of Forest students, and how Chester is apparently full of weirdos and freaks. Who knows what Thornhill's deal is, since Parley is the only student of any significance from there.

Well, the boring normal kids have to go somewhere. Thornhill's Hufflepuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MikeJF posted:

Well, the boring normal kids have to go somewhere. Thornhill's Hufflepuff.

I'm starting to doubt Gunnerkrigg even has normal students. It's like they're all secret X-men and don't know it yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah, I forgot about these two pages after the linked one above.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=752

Oh Kat. :3:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SynthOrange posted:

Hahahah, I forgot about these two pages after the linked one above.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=752

Oh Kat. :3:
As is tradition, I started reading forward from the linked comic, and I noticed how Robot says "It could be some kind of test..." later in the arc. Man, does that ever take on a new meaning given his recent evangelizing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

As is tradition, I started reading forward from the linked comic, and I noticed how Robot says "It could be some kind of test..." later in the arc. Man, does that ever take on a new meaning given his recent evangelizing.

Sometimes the hindsight of foreshadowing is awesome. Other times, it freaks me out more. I have a really bad feeling about all this robot True Believer stuff. :stare:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Warmachine posted:

Sometimes the hindsight of foreshadowing is awesome. Other times, it freaks me out more. I have a really bad feeling about all this robot True Believer stuff. :stare:

I don't know which would be better: If it is foreshadowing something terrible, or if it keeps building and building until Kat finds out and says "cut that out" and all the robots say "oh, okay" and it's literally never brought up or referenced ever again.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm sure it'll be the latter.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
"Oh man, one of the pins was bent this whole time! Spec sheet says... 'atheism enable.' Well go figure."

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Wait, so this means that the Court is using sentient mice for deadly experimentation? Yikes.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think it means that all animals have a degree of sentience, so it doesn't matter what animals they choose for deadly experimentation, and also no one cares because Paz is the only one who can talk to them.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Also the animals don't have anything interesting to contribute, conversation-wise, so whatever.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cthulhuchan posted:

Also the animals don't have anything interesting to contribute, conversation-wise, so whatever.

That's literally how people justified slavery.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zenzirouj posted:

Wait, so this means that the Court is using sentient mice for deadly experimentation? Yikes.

Pretty much all animals are sentient. Even plants are sentient! :science:

Sentience is a ridiculously low threshold if you want to use it to determine ethics of whether or not you can do stuff to something. All sentience requires is the ability to feel. If it has senses, it is sentient.

As always, I blame Star Trek:

Wikipedia posted:

In science fiction, an alien, android, robot, hologram, or computer described as sentient is usually treated as a fully human character, with similar rights, qualities, and capabilities as any other character. Foremost among these properties is human level intelligence (i.e. "sapience"), but sentient characters also typically display desire, will, consciousness, ethics, personality, insight, and many other human qualities. Sentience is being used in this context to describe an essential human property that brings all these other qualities with it. This often leads to the word being incorrectly used - for example, an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation has a character describing his cat as "not sentient", while by the real world definition a cat is sentient. The words "sapience", "self-awareness", and "consciousness" are used in similar ways in science fiction.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Can someone post a really good page, from an art perspective? Preferably one as early on as possible while also being really pretty, but I'll settle for a later one if it's impressive enough. I'm trying to convince a friend to read the strip, but she can't get past the first terrible ones. Nothing stands out in my mind, but I remember there being lots that were really impressive. Basically, something to say, "It doesn't look like rear end forever, and then you eventually get stuff like this!"

I made sure to include http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=304 in with the examples.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

OneTwentySix posted:

Can someone post a really good page, from an art perspective? Preferably one as early on as possible while also being really pretty, but I'll settle for a later one if it's impressive enough. I'm trying to convince a friend to read the strip, but she can't get past the first terrible ones. Nothing stands out in my mind, but I remember there being lots that were really impressive. Basically, something to say, "It doesn't look like rear end forever, and then you eventually get stuff like this!"

This one is pretty recent: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1250

Basically, anything in the ethereal plane looks amazing nowadays.

EDIT: oh, you wanted something from earlier. Have this cover then: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=165

Dias fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 31, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=120 - treatise 1
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=274 - Coyote
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=293 - treatise 2

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Coyote stories maybe? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=486

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the symbology for Treatise One anyway?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Started reading this two weeks ago, been keeping up with the updates, and surprised and ashamed at what I've missed out on up until this point.

I blame it squarely on the Coyote avatars. Every single one.

Also, I'm not the only one creeped out by Robot-S-13's slow shift into a prophet/religious leader, on up into his 'it was worth it' speech, given his strange past and connections to the girls, right?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, I'm not the only one creeped out by Robot-S-13's slow shift into a prophet/religious leader, on up into his 'it was worth it' speech, given his strange past and connections to the girls, right?

I think you're with pretty well all of us on that one.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

OneTwentySix posted:

I feel like even the early GCCs are pretty decent looking by webcomic standards, and watching the incredible progress Tom makes as an artist over the course of the series is part of the appeal for me. Tell your friend to lighten up! :)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tollymain posted:

What is the symbology for Treatise One anyway?

Western Alchemy 101

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The mice and pidgeons that Paz talks to aren't any smarter than the ones we got in real life, she's just got the ability to communicate with them is all.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
All the mouse says is 'Yes!' and 'I see!' and 'I'm a mouse!'

None of which require the mouse to understand the conversation even slighty.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

VanSandman posted:

All the mouse says is 'Yes!' and 'I see!' and 'I'm a mouse!'

None of which require the mouse to understand the conversation even slighty.

Yet she's using them as confidants. Clearly, the girl is mentally unstable so Kat should stay the hell away from her.

:h::h:KatAnnie 2014 OTP:h::h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I think the fears that Robot is going to start some crazy genocide death cult are unlikely. Sure, it's a little odd, but so far all we've really seen him do is tell everyone that Kat is pretty great, and all the bots seem to agree without anyone having to break out the thumbscrews.

Plus it wouldn't fit the GC style too much to have a crazy religious zealot-bot running wild. More likely that it will just end up being sort of weird and awkward, like it already has been when the robots call Kat 'angel' and she just sort of brushes it off in embarrassment.

Sure, history gives us plenty of examples of crazy religious cult leaders doing bad things, but on the other hand you have people inspired by their religion to greatness. Maybe he's going to become like a robot MLK Jr., or the robo-Gandhi. Or the fondly remembered founder of the church of Kat-olicism.