Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've repaired a fair few Gibsons and the quality control is horrible. I've seen at least 4 guitars worth over £1000 that have fret issues (I have no idea how they put the frets in, but they weren't flat and it looked like they never had any levelling done, the fret buzz was insane), plastic nuts on £600 guitars, super-thick varnish and the inevitable head-stock issues.

a guy in a band that was opening up for my act was showing off his "black beauty framptoned" les paul custom in the green room. he had it fitted with 3 PAF's and was beaming about it. "i won't say how much i paid, but it was more than your car dude, ok?" then i was like dude i drive a volvo s60, eat a dick bro

5 minutes in he barely nicked the loving neck on a mic stand and SNAP-OLA, the loving neck broke kinda clean off and was suspended by the strings brooooong feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee skrrrrrrrrrrrrr and out came the waterworks. a grown crying man cradling a broken guitar and he's in such shock he just starts to walk away, his shits feeding back, tears are streaming down his face

at first I was like oh fuckin no, but then i admit i laughed pretty hard, barely containing my poo poo and actually trying as hard as i could not to laugh, he walked right past me crying like a bitch (he was wearing makeup and had a total glam getup on, balding and pudgy new jersey italian) and i was willing to loan him my paul reed smith but he was nowhere to be found. seriously, his band could not find him and when the place closed they were still looking for the dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Just chiming in for some Telecaster love. Simplicity is beauty.

rand
Apr 26, 2003

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Just chiming in for some Telecaster love. Simplicity is beauty.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Hobohemian posted:

I am a bad guitar player and I bought this recently:http://www.rondomusic.com/CETIP90bk.html Tell me experts, how ugly is this guitar?

Rondo's are actually really good bang for their buck, a lot of guitarists on forums I went to would unironically buy them and would put OFRs in them. That was in like 2007 though, so things might have changed.

Edit: Thinking of the wrong brand, sorry. The one I was thinking of was Agile.

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've repaired a fair few Gibsons and the quality control is horrible. I've seen at least 4 guitars worth over £1000 that have fret issues (I have no idea how they put the frets in, but they weren't flat and it looked like they never had any levelling done, the fret buzz was insane), plastic nuts on £600 guitars, super-thick varnish and the inevitable head-stock issues.

This is what I hear a lot too, that their QC's all over the place. They still have good guitars but you have to actively find them, and that just isn't acceptable from a big name brand where most of their guitars are $1000-2000.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

White Dog Eggs posted:

It's bascially a 1930's jazz guitar shrunk down and made solid. There is not enough wood behind the peghead so they tend to rip themselves apart when dropped. Also, the top pickup is in the wrong place on the 22fret models which is why they always sound so muddy (in fairness this is a problem with most 22 fret guitars), it's also got a glued-in neck which is great if you want a warm sound, but horrible if you want anything else (try playing a country song on a les-paul if you want a laugh).

Actually it is really kind of sad, Agile makes better sounding, better quality Les Paul-alikes than Gibson makes Les Pauls, and they charge loving pennies for them.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

sound of the future

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I played drums in the 80s for lovely metal bands. This is what one guy had.

God no

:lol:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I played drums in the 80s for lovely metal bands. This is what one guy had.

God no

:lol:

lol fuckin hell

speaking of lovely 80s metal bands, pretty much anything michael angelo batio used:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

looks like he killed a rodent and is using its fur as hair

"Batio has an advanced knowledge of music theory, having a deep understanding of complex scale combinations and time signatures which assist him in his compositions. He is widely known for his extremely fast and well articulated alternate picking, which he credits to his use of anchoring, or planting the fingers he does not use while picking on the body of the guitar to restrict motion. He is also adept at fluid, sweep-picked arpeggios and tapping. Batio has cited F-sharp minor and F-sharp phrygian dominant as two of his favorite keys. He has described F sharp minor as a "demonic" key, giving a dark, evil sound. Batio invented and often demonstrates the "Over-Under" technique [citation needed]"

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Captain Tolerable posted:

looks like he killed a rodent and is using its fur as hair

i think some female fan he awkwardly hit on said he literally wears a hairpiece now lmao

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

loooooool

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And any derivation of that ugly piece of poo poo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
lol nothing is sacred

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dolphin posted:

you're embarrassing yourself

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

thanks for putting me into a death spiral

i cannot stop laughing holy poo poo

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Harry in Rio posted:

thanks for putting me into a death spiral

i cannot stop laughing holy poo poo

wait til you see the quad guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDcBKVKQizg and then you get to the actual solo and it sounds like fuckin sounds made on an atari its crazy

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Dolphin posted:

The SG-3 is seriously the worst looking guitar. Three humbuckers, why? Why!?

Dr. Faustus, you're the obvious expert here. Could you please explain, preferably in the form or a novella length aspergers induced rant, the benefits having three humbuckers will have on my quest to achieve the "Perfect Tone™"?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sorry bro, I got nothin'.

Although whoever decided to put a finish on that guitar and then sand most of it off for a premium needs to be hanged.

VVV You just jelly.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 30, 2013

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Ain't that the truth.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Harry in Rio posted:

a guy in a band that was opening up for my act was showing off his "black beauty framptoned" les paul custom in the green room. he had it fitted with 3 PAF's and was beaming about it. "i won't say how much i paid, but it was more than your car dude, ok?" then i was like dude i drive a volvo s60, eat a dick bro

5 minutes in he barely nicked the loving neck on a mic stand and SNAP-OLA, the loving neck broke kinda clean off and was suspended by the strings brooooong feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee skrrrrrrrrrrrrr and out came the waterworks. a grown crying man cradling a broken guitar and he's in such shock he just starts to walk away, his shits feeding back, tears are streaming down his face

at first I was like oh fuckin no, but then i admit i laughed pretty hard, barely containing my poo poo and actually trying as hard as i could not to laugh, he walked right past me crying like a bitch (he was wearing makeup and had a total glam getup on, balding and pudgy new jersey italian) and i was willing to loan him my paul reed smith but he was nowhere to be found. seriously, his band could not find him and when the place closed they were still looking for the dude

Hang on, are you saying that if failed at the neck joint? That's loving hilarious if Gibson are getting too cheap to use enough glue.

thelightguy posted:

Actually it is really kind of sad, Agile makes better sounding, better quality Les Paul-alikes than Gibson makes Les Pauls, and they charge loving pennies for them.

EVERYONE makes a better Les-Paul than Gibson, even Epiphone (!!!!), when people ask me about getting a vintage Les Paul I tell them to look for a Japanese 70's LP copy (there are too many brands to list here) and get me or someone else to give it a fret job. They are better in every single way and can be easily be brought for under £200.

Dolphin posted:

SG's are kind of crappy in fairness, they started out as a new Les Paul design, but, Gibson being Gibson, they ignored most of his ideas (The original design was neck-thru rather than set-neck, it had a 25" scale (which is what PRS uses, probably the best all around fret scale imo) as opposed to their boomy 24 /34" scale, it had a thicker volute to stop the LP headstock issue, had 24 frets and a fwew other things I can't remember. Lesp Paul refused to put his name on it and didn't associate with Gibson for a long time after. Gibson are dicks.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Jedrick posted:

The SG-3 is seriously the worst looking guitar. Three humbuckers, why? Why!?

Dr. Faustus, you're the obvious expert here. Could you please explain, preferably in the form or a novella length aspergers induced rant, the benefits having three humbuckers will have on my quest to achieve the "Perfect Tone™"?

Ohh ohh ohh, I can sperg too! 3 humbuckers is mostly used for that nu-metal korn/limp bizkit sound, there may be other uses but hosed if I know what they are.

Also that guitar looks like someone wiped their rear end on it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

White Dog Eggs posted:

Ohh ohh ohh, I can sperg too! 3 humbuckers is mostly used for that nu-metal korn/limp bizkit sound, there may be other uses but hosed if I know what they are.

Also that guitar looks like someone wiped their rear end on it.
:golfclap:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

gently caress Henry Juszkiewicz

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

If you want to see some really ugly guitars look at everything that Amir from Orgy designed with Jackson when Orgy was super popular

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

GreatGreen posted:

gently caress Henry Juszkiewicz

Did reddit make that? I can see them calling it The Upvote

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Did reddit make that? I can see them calling it The Upvote

Oh no, it's real. I have taken this exact guitar off a rack at a music store and held it. It was such a hideous abomination I had to touch it to make sure it was really there and that it wasn't just me having a stroke and imagining it.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

Oh no, it's real. I have taken this exact guitar off a rack at a music store and held it. It was such a hideous abomination I had to touch it to make sure it was really there and that it wasn't just me having a stroke.

I got asked to make one of these an refused because there is no way the customer would be happy with that, it's stupid in every single way.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

Hang on, are you saying that if failed at the neck joint? That's loving hilarious if Gibson are getting too cheap to use enough glue.

i'm pretty sure it broke like this, and the neck joint held, exposing yet another flaw in a gibson that cost probably $6000 dollar ffs

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

I got asked to make one of these an refused because there is no way the customer would be happy with that, it's stupid in every single way.

are you literally a guitar luthier because thats pretty cool and ive always wanted to do that

Harry in Rio posted:

i'm pretty sure it broke like this, and the neck joint held, exposing yet another flaw in a gibson that cost probably $6000 dollar ffs

lol at least it's not neck thru, i guess set necks at least have a chance of being fixed kind of?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Rhopunzel posted:

are you literally a guitar luthier because thats pretty cool and ive always wanted to do that

lol at least it's not neck thru, i guess set necks at least have a chance of being fixed kind of?

yeah, i mean, i see a lot of les pauls and sgs that i know are the real deal because the loving headstock has already fallen off and been repaired

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Harry in Rio posted:

Yep. A $2,000 Gibson is a nice $800 guitar but a piece of poo poo $2,000 guitar. A $6,000 Gibson is a nice $1,200 guitar but a piece of poo poo $6,000 guitar.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 31, 2013

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Harry in Rio posted:

That's weird, they are either using super-lovely wood or they are making the necks too thin, or, knowing Gibson, both. At least it's an easy fix (glue is stronger than wood, so once it's glued it won't break again). That is insane that they'd let something that lovely out the factory.

Rhopunzel posted:

I guess I am, I'm usually known as "The guitar guy" though. I have a few builds I could post here, I've built some stupid poo poo over the years (I'm making a guitar out of a frying pan atm).

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

Yep. A $2,000 Gibson is a nice $800 guitar but a piece of poo poo $2,000 guitar. A $6,000 Gibson is a nice $1,200 guitar but a piece of poo poo $6,000 guitar.

A bit kinder than I would have been, but this is pretty spot on. Post-1994 PRS guitar are a loving rip off too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

A bit kinder than I would have been, but this is pretty spot on. Post-1994 PRS guitar are a loving rip off too.

Yeah, for $6,000 you can get just about any of the best luthiers in the world to build you your dream guitar with exact customization on basically every possible customizable part.

For $3,500-$5,000 you can buy a top-of-the-line production guitar from basically any of the best guitar companies in the world, any of which would laugh the best most expensive Gibson you can find these days out of the building.

Gibson's prices are ludicrous by basically any measurable degree.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This is my "ugly" guitar. Most people think "Antigua" finish is ugly.

i think its awesome, so does my cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This was my first guitar, got it when I was 15, I think it cost $400 or so. I still have it, and it's as butt ugly as the day I got it.

No that's not my picture, I don't pose my old guitar on navajo rugs for intimate photo sessions.

• Locked thread