Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rockopolis posted:

Kuro from the Bundle of holding sounds like STALKER; Shadow of Japan. It's by the team that did Qin.

I've been running Kuro. It's like Ghost in the Shell meets J-Horror. Really awesome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
For today only, Exalted 2nd Edition Core PDF free on Drivethrurpg.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/3671/Exalted-Second-Edition

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Bundle of holding is reselling their first bundle for those who missed it.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Covok posted:

Bundle of holding is reselling their first bundle for those who missed it.

Just a note that I think these are all novels, not games.

EDIT: Which is unfortunate, because I would play the hell out of a game called Mindjammer.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Spincut posted:

Just a note that I think these are all novels, not games.

EDIT: Which is unfortunate, because I would play the hell out of a game called Mindjammer.

Well, you're in luck because Mindjammer is also a campaign setting for FATE Core. Currently seems to be out of print, but the author's blog is updating regularly and indicates a 2nd edition is in the works.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

inklesspen posted:

Well, you're in luck because Mindjammer is also a campaign setting for FATE Core. Currently seems to be out of print, but the author's blog is updating regularly and indicates a 2nd edition is in the works.

Oh, awesome, thanks! I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I wish the Bundle of Holding would slow down. I was all ready to buy that special Christmas thing to help out the designers, and it's already over and they're on a repeat. They should at least let you buy the last bundle if you missed it due to just hearing about it today.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I unsubscribed from the newsletter because I got tired of having to scroll down past rave reviews of the bundle that just finished before reaching word of the new one at the bottom. I don't know if it's because I read mail in text mode, or some kind of ad for laggards, but I figured that I could get word of them better here.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Continuing their week of free core books (apparently), OPP has provided Dark Ages: Vampire for free today only!

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/2676/Dark-Ages-Vampire

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Apparently Raven C.S. McCracken is giving out free copies of the new ruleset(?) of The World of Synnibarr for the next 24 hours if you email him at ravashem dot studios at gmail. It even comes with the revised character sheet!

I didn't realize there was going to be a new edition of Synnibar, and I don't know why it exists.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Bieeardo posted:

I unsubscribed from the newsletter because I got tired of having to scroll down past rave reviews of the bundle that just finished before reaching word of the new one at the bottom. I don't know if it's because I read mail in text mode, or some kind of ad for laggards, but I figured that I could get word of them better here.

Maybe you could hit the "End" button on your keyboard and scroll a little up?

I wonder how many people who take McCracken up on his giveaway? It'll be hilarious if he can't even give away his ruleset.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

LashLightning posted:

I wonder how many people who take McCracken up on his giveaway? It'll be hilarious if he can't even give away his ruleset.

I ordered one out of morbid curiosity. I haven't looked at it yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LashLightning posted:

The cost is that McCracken will have your email address.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Loki_XLII posted:

I ordered one out of morbid curiosity. I haven't looked at it yet.

I just have, too. I have 2nd edition. I would love to see this, unironically.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

LashLightning posted:

Or maybe they could format their marketing mail in a logical manner.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Third day of free OPP cores: Werewolf: the Forsaken is on sale.

If you ever wanted to get your hairy, snarly spirit cop on, now you can!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KirbyJ posted:

Continuing their week of free core books (apparently), OPP has provided Dark Ages: Vampire for free today only!

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/2676/Dark-Ages-Vampire

What was day 1, out of curiosity?

e; vvv :laffo:

Thanks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 1, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What was day 1, out of curiosity?

Exalted 2E. (There's also a free novel if anyone cares

Edit: And today it's Werewolf: The Forsaken

Edit2: Ninja'd. Gah.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 1, 2014

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I actually tried emailing McCracken last night when I got home from work. And today, I got an e-mail back with the Book of Fate, Ultimate Adventures Guide 1, Atlas and battle sheet and character sheet. I'm... genuinely surprised at that. If nothing else, it should be good for a laugh, if the Fatal and Friends thread is to go by.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Randalor posted:

I actually tried emailing McCracken last night when I got home from work. And today, I got an e-mail back with the Book of Fate, Ultimate Adventures Guide 1, Atlas and battle sheet and character sheet. I'm... genuinely surprised at that. If nothing else, it should be good for a laugh, if the Fatal and Friends thread is to go by.

I got mine, too. I will dig into them in short order.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Prepare for confusion. :psyduck:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zereth posted:

Prepare for confusion. :psyduck:
Oh god you are right. I can't understand the "simple" rules :catstare:

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Fourth day of free OPP releases brings us Mage: the Ascension Revised!

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

"New" Bundle of Holding up. This one is a repeat of their Bundle +2:

-A Penny For My Thoughts
-Kagematsu
-Shooting the Moon

Beat the average and get:

-Monsterhearts (yesss)
-Grey Ranks
-Hollowpoint

After this one is over, they say a new bundle of RPGs will be going up. I'm glad they reposted this one, though; I missed it first time around.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hunter: The Vigil is free on DriveThruRPG today.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 3, 2014

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I'm debating whether to buy the Bundle of Holding at the last minute or not. I only discovered it around +4, so these first two reruns are all new to me.

I'm debating buying it for Monsterhearts and Penny for my Thoughts, both of which I've heard were good. However, they're not enough for a complete sell, especially since I think I'll have trouble getting my group to play Monsterhearts. How good is the other stuff? Especially Hollowpoint, which sounds rad as hell.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Loki_XLII posted:

I'm debating whether to buy the Bundle of Holding at the last minute or not. I only discovered it around +4, so these first two reruns are all new to me.

I'm debating buying it for Monsterhearts and Penny for my Thoughts, both of which I've heard were good. However, they're not enough for a complete sell, especially since I think I'll have trouble getting my group to play Monsterhearts. How good is the other stuff? Especially Hollowpoint, which sounds rad as hell.

Hollowpoint is pretty drat rad. Honestly, from what I've seen all of them are, but if you're going to have trouble getting people to play Monsterhearts (and I think the best way to get people to play Monsterhearts is to show them how other people have played Monsterhearts so they're not just picturing Twilight), some of the others (particularly Kagematsu) might be tough sells also.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!
Woo hoo - the next bundle (due this evening) is apparently a large collection featuring Over The Edge, been waiting for that to show up!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The annual New Year, New Game sale is up on DriveThruRPG - a selection of Core(ish, 2300AD requires the Mongoose Traveller core book, there's at least one dungeon crawl campaign there but you could always get Dungeon Crawl Classics with it!) Rulebook games. There are some interesting ones, like Numenera, Call of Cthulhu (Got the Cthulhu Bag of Holding? Well now you can get the core rulebook for under £6) and... a german translation of a Black Crusade book?

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!
The OTE Bundle of Holding goes live in a little under an hour:

Bundle of Holding posted:

Adventurer! The conspiracy-ridden Mediterranean island of Al Amarja waits for you. It's all there: shadowy intrigues, shifting loyalties, and more than a few Reality-bending designer drugs. If you like William Burroughs, Philip K. Dick, and David Lynch, you're ready to head Over the Edge.

A generous collection of books for one of the most celebrated game lines in roleplaying history.
A comprehensive range -- everything you need to launch and run your own OTE campaign.
DRM-free: Read these ebooks on all your devices, and make your own backups.
Benefits two charities personally chosen by OTE designer Jonathan Tweet.
Don't forget -- now you can also send someone else a Bundle of Holding as a gift. If you've already visited Al Amarja yourself, join the shadowy conspiracy and lure others to its shores.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LashLightning posted:

The annual New Year, New Game sale is up on DriveThruRPG - a selection of Core(ish, 2300AD requires the Mongoose Traveller core book, there's at least one dungeon crawl campaign there but you could always get Dungeon Crawl Classics with it!) Rulebook games. There are some interesting ones, like Numenera, Call of Cthulhu (Got the Cthulhu Bag of Holding? Well now you can get the core rulebook for under £6) and... a german translation of a Black Crusade book?

Comedy Option: Cybergeneration 2ed

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Someone sell me on Apotheosis Drive X, Our Last Best Hope, Part-Time Gods and Motobushido, please.

e; gently caress it, pulled the trigger. I had some DTRPG credit left.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 7, 2014

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
I haven't gotten to play Motobushido yet, but I have read it and played out the prologue.

If you're the kind of person who can get past the inherent silliness of the premise (SAMURAI ON MOTORCYCLES) there's a lot to like there-- visuals aside, it's very much based on a deglamorized ronin aesthetic, where these people are just rootless killers who may or may not have enough moral code left to stop from being outright bandits. Even if you're not into the samurai thing in and of itself, it has the same vibe as a lot of biker movies (obviously), spaghetti westerns, and so on. The game very much plays up the tense bonds within the group, these total assholes who have no one else to call brother, with lots of mechanics that incentivize teamwork and stabbing your buddy in the back. Most notably, every character class has a Fratricide move that gives some benny if they kill another PC. Along those lines, character creation and maintenance is somewhat complex, but well below a GURPS or D20 level of investment, it looks like it'll be easy enough to make new characters once you internalize it.

I like the look of the basic card-dueling mechanics, but there are enough fiddly fillips on top (strike zone, ki points, biker techniques, etc etc) that I can't tell how well it works just on a read-through.

Hopefully someone who's actually played will weigh in; I don't regret Kickstarting it, but I'm not likely to play it any time soon (just too many others in the queue in front of it) so I can't in good conscience recommend it because I'm terrible at eyeballing mechanics.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Someone sell me on Apotheosis Drive X, Our Last Best Hope, Part-Time Gods and Motobushido, please.

e; gently caress it, pulled the trigger. I had some DTRPG credit left.

I did Part Time Gods in first F&F thread. It's basically "Scion done right". No limiting unbalanced powers, no assumed campaign setting and pregens. You can be god of pretty much whatever you want and build the powers around that concept instead of being limited to White Wolf's provided power structure.

Me posted:

I always hated how Scion's powers were set up as "You can have power over these fifteen things. This is the power over X. You can only use this if X is related to your concept, and this power only lets you do the following list". Not to mention that trying to figure out how to make your god of a non-standard thing (like, say, cars) based on the limited list of available powers was a joke at the best of times.

But in Part Time Gods it's the other way around; you bend the loose powers around your concept instead of trying to bend your concept around a rigid set of abilities. If you think being the god of cars would let you bring cars to life and have them try to run over people you don't like, you can do that; not because you bought the Cars power at enough levels to do something useful with it, but because you're the loving god of cars and you can bring things to life because you're a loving god.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Someone sell me on ... Our Last Best Hope

Our Last Best Hope lets you do a blow-for-blow recreation of Armageddon, right down to blasting "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" on your stereo as you make the final roll of the game.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Drive-Thru RPG has a New Year, New Game sale.

Select titles are 50% off for the next 6 days. With a focus on little-known rulesets.

Edit: Nevermind, posted earlier by another person.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Wow, I'm glad I waited exactly one day to buy the Savage Worlds core book.

Also, how is Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea?

EDIT: And Dungeon Crawl Classic?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Call of Catthulu seems like an interesting game, but is it really?

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Current Bundle of Holding is Over The Edge!

I find myself out of my depth on this one. I've barely heard of it, so how do you guys feel about it?

KirbyJ fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Spincut posted:

Also, how is Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea?
I moved my response to the older D&D and retroclone thread so more discussion is possible, but I'm a fan.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 8, 2014