Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Momomo posted:

The names in Harry Potter are a lot more silly in hindsight. Harry's signature spell (Expelliarmus) is essentially saying "DROP YOUR WEAPON!".

Its a goofy setting; literally everything in that setting which is latin is joke from their schools motto to being about tickling dragons to the spell which summons his father literally meaning I expect (to see) my father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

chumbler posted:

I'm sorry, but if you couldn't figure out what the difference between fal'cie, l'cie, and cie'th was after playing the game for any appreciable length of time, you weren't even trying. The way those terms are used is not some Etro's-gate-behind-the-final-boss bullshit. It was not that hard of a concept, and you don't need to know the whole etymology of the set of words to understand them.

What confuses me more is people acting like everyone explaining things to Tidus is such good world building when it is straight up "The main character has amnesia so we will insult the player and tell them about the world through this device that is certainly not overused to the point of being a joke." "They lived sheltered lives" is no different. I would much rather have a game not waste time explaining things that everyone in that world should already know and the player can figure out by context. And I'll take made up words over idiotic Latin names, too.
Yeah, I hate "world-building". Fantasy and sci-fi are generally terrible for this sort of thing. I only want to know enough about the world to see how it affects and reflects the characters and themes. I don't want constant expository dialogue to hold my hand. This is why I don't like the Matsuno games as much as others and refused to read XIII's datalog. VI through IX are all pretty good at avoiding this trap. IV and V certainly go too far; IV is especially sparse at presenting its world, to the point where almost nothing that happens in the plot flows naturally from the previous setpiece. But it doesn't really matter in those two.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
XIII had a lot of issues, but the "l'Cie/C'ieth are too confusing!!!" is one of the weakest arguments. You have plenty of other very bad things about the game like the forced tutorial, inconsistent pacing, horrible voice direction, incomprehensible plot, lack of NPCs/towns, horrible dialogue, etc.

Honestly, one of the few things that XIII tried to do was create this unique setting with machine gods and magical thralls and then went nowhere with those ideas.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The fal'Cie, L'cie and cie'th stuff never bothered me that much because I read waaaaaaay too much lovely fantasy in high school, and compared to the apostrophe filled hell that is bad fantasy FFXIII was like a breath of fresh air. It was the of XIII's problems, though it did make me feel like I was playing a lovely fantasy novel.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Depends on they feel there is a viable reason to change the name. Sometimes it's to retain an edge of the "exotic", as how Tina, became Terra, for clearer pronunciation, Cefka to Kefka, or because the original name is too unusual, Mash to Sabin, say.

There's as many reasons as there are grains of sand. Localization and translation are tricky business - it's not just a simple method of transcribing what is being said, but the intent behind it, or the evocative feel of the meaning.

I never minded the Cie stuff. It's easy enough to grasp as made-up terms go.

Stuff like this is fascinating to me. I worked as a translator for a short time and I never realized the sheer amount of ways you could interpret a phrase was absolutely insane. And I didn't have to figure out how to translate idioms or try to translate a name so it keeps the same intent as it did in the original language. I would actually watch a documentary of a good localization team explaining why they made the choices they made, like for example how Nier is completely different in English and Japanese but still has the same general feel.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Don Gato posted:

Stuff like this is fascinating to me. I worked as a translator for a short time and I never realized the sheer amount of ways you could interpret a phrase was absolutely insane. And I didn't have to figure out how to translate idioms or try to translate a name so it keeps the same intent as it did in the original language. I would actually watch a documentary of a good localization team explaining why they made the choices they made, like for example how Nier is completely different in English and Japanese but still has the same general feel.

I really cannot find enough excuses to bring up Legends of Localization. It's a blog of sorts run by Tomato, the guy who runs EarthBound Central, Starmen.net, and translated Mother 3, as well as a shitload of other games both professionally and not. He does a line by line translation comparison for several games, most notably Zelda 1, Mario 1, Final Fantasy IV, Earthbound, and Mother3. Currently ongoing are Mother 3 and Final Fantasy IV, and it's fascinating to read the subtle changes that happen in contrast to the loving huge ones. There's also a bit of a "letters to the editor" sort of thing where people ask him about one specific change in a game, and he compares it between versions. Totally worth a read.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mustach posted:

Yeah, I hate "world-building". Fantasy and sci-fi are generally terrible for this sort of thing. I only want to know enough about the world to see how it affects and reflects the characters and themes. I don't want constant expository dialogue to hold my hand. This is why I don't like the Matsuno games as much as others and refused to read XIII's datalog. VI through IX are all pretty good at avoiding this trap. IV and V certainly go too far; IV is especially sparse at presenting its world, to the point where almost nothing that happens in the plot flows naturally from the previous setpiece. But it doesn't really matter in those two.

I don't mind world building, but not when it's filled with bullshit words and terms like "Raewon the Kirano'th angel who wields the dual Sha'ibh'as" or when the game spends lots of time forcing you to hear how Podunk Town #6 is key to the bad guy's plan because of some deep history in the town involving the token Unobtanium. The former makes it a complete pain in the rear end to understand what the gently caress is going on because of all the weird-looking words that blend together into an unreadable mess after reading two sentences, while the latter takes time away from actually playing and understanding the main plot and characters. Really, I like it when world building is made optional, like in the Bioshock games. That way, people like me can sperg over it, while people that just want to play and beat the bad guy can skip it instead of it making GBS threads on their experience.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Latin is the normal go-to but you usually see it for magic spells or place names or things like that. It's pretty rare to have a series where every character is given a name like Gladiolus Amicitia or Prompto Argentum. It's kind of the difference between Petrificus Totalus and "Hey guys, this is my friend Petrificus Totalus. Yeah, he's a statue. Kinda sucks."

Admittedly other Final Fantasy games aren't that far off. (Cloud Strife and Zack Fair.)

It could be worse

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Tempo 119 posted:

It could be worse

I ain't even gonna thumbnail it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Overbite posted:

I ain't even gonna thumbnail it.

john mccain alt found

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In the original Japanese, it's just Fate Linegod. I think Edge is a more acceptable name and Maverick is also a more acceptable name. It's a great TV series everyone should watch in fact.

I believe Alexander O. Smith of FFX and XII fame worked on Till the End of Time and on the topic of name changes from earlier, he changed a lot of them apparently. At least I don't think it was Cliff and I know it wasn't Peppita originally. No idea what the logic was behind any of those name changes.

He did change Lucifer to Luther for the main villain and one of his lackeys definitely had a name change too. Again don't see much of a reason for that apart from the fact their names meant nothing. Although he was rocking six black wings in the final fight IIRC so they were clearly going for Lucifer there.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 31, 2013

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Don Gato posted:

Alexander O'Smith's work on FFXII is a very interesting case. He got an unprecedented amount of control over the localization since he had a very good relationship. There's a lot of stuff in the English localization that didn't exist in the original Japanese version.

For example, the bestiary is re-written as a Victorian era travel guide. Sanskrit is used in Bhujerba to round out the Indus Valley influence. The Garif section of the game had a complete make over in regards to their name and dialogue. Arcadia, Dalmasca, and Rozarria have different English accents. Think of how the Starks and Lannisters have different accents to signify a Scottish clan and a Southern English family respectively.

All of this is drastic change from the original Japanese game but it's done in a very intelligent manner.

NikkolasKing posted:

In the original Japanese, it's just Fate Linegod. I think Edge is a more acceptable name and Maverick is also a more acceptable name. It's a great TV series everyone should watch in fact.

I believe Alexander O. Smith of FFX and XII fame worked on Till the End of Time and on the topic of name changes from earlier, he changed a lot of them apparently. At least I don't think it was Cliff and I know it wasn't Peppita originally. No idea what the logic was behind any of those name changes.

He did change Lucifer to Luther for the main villain and one of his lackeys definitely had a name change too. Again don't see much of a reason for that apart from the fact their names meant nothing. Although he was rocking six black wings in the final fight IIRC so they were clearly going for Lucifer there.

He worked on the localization alongside Joel Sassone and Jason Franzman. Sassone is more of a general Japanese to English translator while Franzman has been involved in the localization of a lot of Japanese games as a freelancer.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ShadeofDante posted:

XIII had a lot of issues, but the "l'Cie/C'ieth are too confusing!!!" is one of the weakest arguments. You have plenty of other very bad things about the game like the forced tutorial, inconsistent pacing, horrible voice direction, incomprehensible plot, lack of NPCs/towns, horrible dialogue, etc.

Honestly, one of the few things that XIII tried to do was create this unique setting with machine gods and magical thralls and then went nowhere with those ideas.

I'm guessing a lot of the complaints come from bad first impressions. XIII starts in media res with all sorts of poo poo happening, and it's jumping back and forth between Lightning loving poo poo up on a train and Snow fighting off soldiers somewhere close by maybe? And they're throwing around all sorts of terms like l'Cie, Cie'th, fal'Cie, PSICOM, Pulse, Cocoon, purge, etc. with no real context clues yet. The audience has no idea what any of that poo poo is yet and it's all getting heaped on so quickly and with so little frame of reference, and they don't know who these people are or what they're really doing or why they should care. I can see people getting frustrated and pushed out of the experience rather than drawn in. Now if you play for an hour or two they actually explain all those things, but first impressions are important. Unless you just like flashy scenes of stuff exploding, XIII doesn't have a strong start narratively.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Yep! In fact, refining certain cards and then rewinning them ad nauseum is the quickest way to max some stats if you really hate fun. Irvine's card is the one you use for Speed, for example.

Holy poo poo :psyduck:

Now I have to change my spreadsheets. Whats a few more hours of self imposed triple triad for maximum gains :shepicide:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leal posted:

Now I have to change my spreadsheets. Whats a few more hours of self imposed triple triad for maximum gains :shepicide:

Why are you maximizing your gains? Its FF8. You can win looooong before any of that matters.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Playing through FFXIII on Xbox 360. Should I continue? I am enjoying it, so... my suspicion is yes. Just wondering if the follow-up games are good too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hunter x az posted:

Playing through FFXIII on Xbox 360. Should I continue? I am enjoying it, so... my suspicion is yes. Just wondering if the follow-up games are good too.

FFXIII-2 is like if you wanted more FFXIII but without any restriction on becoming wildly overpowered from the go and thus destroying any difficulty the game may have presented.

Who the hell knows about FFXIII-3 yet but it doesn't play anything like FFXIII or FFXIII-2

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Leal posted:

For reference, the quickest way to max stats via stat ups is:

HP = Buy Giant's Rings
Magic = Buy Hypno Crowns
Spirit = Buy Force Armlets
Strength = Eden's Card
Vitality = Minotaur's Card
Speed = Irvine's Card as mentioned before
Luck = spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours in the Deep Sea Research Centre repeating the fixed Tri-Face fight. If you've already beaten Ultima Weapon for some reason, then just start the game over from scratch. It saves you a lot of time.

The real fastest way to get money for the 3 items you want to buy 100 of a time is by modding Bahamut and Laguna. Can add Angelo and Gilgamesh too but they don't add as much. Buying Tents/Cottages is a lot slower and gives significantly less profit per cycle.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Barudak posted:

Why are you maximizing your gains? Its FF8. You can win looooong before any of that matters.
This reminds me that when I was a younger man, I did a playthrough where I maxed all of Squall's stats so I didn't have to junction anything except status defense. And I didn't know about the card club at the time so I used Devour…

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have a Plot question and it surprises me because I have literally been talking about FFVII's plot for over a decade and I didn't think anything new could occur to me. It's also very simple so I feel dumb now.

Why didn't the Cetra just use Holy to eradicate Jenova back in the day? It destroys all negative things to the Planet and obviously Jenova is precisely that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm guessing a lot of the complaints come from bad first impressions. XIII starts in media res with all sorts of poo poo happening, and it's jumping back and forth between Lightning loving poo poo up on a train and Snow fighting off soldiers somewhere close by maybe? And they're throwing around all sorts of terms like l'Cie, Cie'th, fal'Cie, PSICOM, Pulse, Cocoon, purge, etc. with no real context clues yet. The audience has no idea what any of that poo poo is yet and it's all getting heaped on so quickly and with so little frame of reference, and they don't know who these people are or what they're really doing or why they should care. I can see people getting frustrated and pushed out of the experience rather than drawn in. Now if you play for an hour or two they actually explain all those things, but first impressions are important. Unless you just like flashy scenes of stuff exploding, XIII doesn't have a strong start narratively.

Like many other things, this was 13's attempt at emulating 7 witout quite getting what made it work in the first place.

7's intro was fast, and the terms it threw at you were much easier to figure out from context.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Like many other things, this was 13's attempt at emulating 7 witout quite getting what made it work in the first place.

7's intro was fast, and the terms it threw at you were much easier to figure out from context.

It also, and I'm going off memory here, broke them down for you. Barrett directly talks about Mako being the lifeblood of the planet and what is powering the reactor and you take a second to gander at it flow through the piping right at the start of the game. Hell, Sephiroth talks about materia for a several lines in the flashback so you have a better idea of what it is and how its made. No such scenes exist in FFXIII.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Barudak posted:

It also, and I'm going off memory here, broke them down for you. Barrett directly talks about Mako being the lifeblood of the planet and what is powering the reactor and you take a second to gander at it flow through the piping right at the start of the game. Hell, Sephiroth talks about materia for a several lines in the flashback so you have a better idea of what it is and how its made. No such scenes exist in FFXIII.

"We're l'Cie! Enemies of Cocoon!"

They mention this like 50 times in the first hour alone. Too bad they never bother to expand on the concept... but it was there! I guess.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr Pepper posted:

Square retooling Cloud in the EU poo poo kinda proves that they have no idea whatsoever about what made anything about FF7 good at all.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

hunter x az posted:

It's a weird loving game. I liked the gameplay, but you don't get your full party (meaning you reliably have three characters) until chapter 8 or so, and you don't unlock all the jobs until chapter 9. It takes like 20 loving hours before you actually get to play the game the way it's meant to be. The story, on the other hand, is somewhat interesting until chapter 9 because at that point all of the character arcs are finished and the game transitions to full JPRG mode and it's time to go kill god and save the universe. Welp.

FF13-2 is similarly weird. The story has a neat narrative structure, namely why you're time travelling and what you're doing (sort of like Sliders/Quantum Leap), but the overarching narrative is stupid as HELL. They do give you a full party and access to everything in the game after maybe an hour or two, but the structure is different because instead of a full party you get monsters who supplement the two main characters. I really like the combat and it further cements my belief that Toriyama needs to be locked up in a dungeon where he can make all the gameplay systems, but is also kept far the gently caress away from story and characters. God drat you, Toriyama, you creepy, creepy fucker.

Also, if you want to utterly break the game buy the Lightning DLC (not the coliseum stuff), do that ASAP and admire your broken as gently caress commando for the rest of the game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Okay, the president's body double flipping out and biting Selphie's dome before melting into a hosed up organ monster was pretty boss.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Sunning posted:

Alexander O'Smith's work on FFXII is a very interesting case. He got an unprecedented amount of control over the localization since he had a very good relationship. There's a lot of stuff in the English localization that didn't exist in the original Japanese version.

Good read, thanks. Despite how much I loved FFXII I never knew about this part of its localization process. It's cool how I'm still discovering reasons why that game appealed to me as much as it did.

I really hope that 2014 brings me the FFXII HD remaster that I've been waiting for... I lost my copy years ago (a Collector's Edition, too!) and while getting another would be easy enough, my PS2 is in several pieces stashed away inside a few closets spread over a couple different cities. Besides, XII would look amazing in HD, and I have this Vita sitting here that basically only exists to play HD versions of PS2 games, so...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Don Gato posted:

There's a very dry, and very long book, Le Ton beau de Marot which covers (in excruciatingly long detail), the ways the author translates a short poem in various manners (one is a gloss reading, one is keeping the rhyme, one is keeping the metre, one is formal, one is informal, etc, etc), and talks about the method and logic of translation in general. As well as other translations of poems, short extracts from text, but it all keeps coming back to the short poem.

It's interesting, but it's a hard read.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I really cannot find enough excuses to bring up Legends of Localization

That's pretty cool. Well, I know what I'm spending today reading
Check out the localisation behind Totally Rad. It's totally rad, man :v:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Delsaber posted:

Good read, thanks. Despite how much I loved FFXII I never knew about this part of its localization process. It's cool how I'm still discovering reasons why that game appealed to me as much as it did.

I really hope that 2014 brings me the FFXII HD remaster that I've been waiting for... I lost my copy years ago (a Collector's Edition, too!) and while getting another would be easy enough, my PS2 is in several pieces stashed away inside a few closets spread over a couple different cities. Besides, XII would look amazing in HD, and I have this Vita sitting here that basically only exists to play HD versions of PS2 games, so...

It's probably in the works. After KH 1.5's success, HD remakes are a low hanging fruit. FFXII is already kind of a proto-HD game with its emphasis on texturing over complex geometry. It looks excellent on emulators.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sunning posted:

It's probably in the works. After KH 1.5's success, HD remakes are a low hanging fruit. FFXII is already kind of a proto-HD game with its emphasis on texturing over complex geometry. It looks excellent on emulators.
I bet they won't give us Zodiac Job System, though.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Nihilarian posted:

I bet they won't give us Zodiac Job System, though.
Based on what? We're getting international version content for X and X-2.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Armor-Piercing posted:

general pessimism, really.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Armor-Piercing posted:

As well as the Final Mixes of the Kingdom Hearts games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

general pessimism, really.

You're just wrong. Like this isn't even a question. Every single HD release so far has been the full extended versions of the game. Why would they suddenly change that for FFXII HD. Even from a "square-enix makes bad decisions' standpoint, that isn't a bad decision they'd make.

Hell, as it stands between both the KH HDs and FFX HD, we've got most of the Final Mixes we were missing before.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Bravely Default is the best Final Fantasy since XII - with the best job system since V. If you have a 3DS it's definitely worth picking up if you want a modern version of a more classic style of FF.

Apparently all it took to make FF good again was to change the name and not let the FF veterans at squeenix anywhere near it (except the art guy as it's a lot like FFT aesthetically which I love).

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Griever posted:

Bravely Default is the best Final Fantasy since XII - with the best job system since V. If you have a 3DS it's definitely worth picking up if you want a modern version of a more classic style of FF.

Apparently all it took to make FF good again was to change the name and not let the FF veterans at squeenix anywhere near it (except the art guy as it's a lot like FFT aesthetically which I love).

The demo for NA comes out on January 2nd, which I believe has 15+ hours of gameplay. This is totally separate from the main game, but some things transfer over.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
When does FFX hit the NA PSN so I can get it on the Vita? I'm binging through 7,8,9 and tactics all at the moment and I'm excited to play 10 again too.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

March 18th

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mustach posted:

March 18th

Kind of a good early year for SE with Bravely Default and Lightning Returns in February and FFX/X-2 HD in March.

I haven't really followed Bravely Default or Lightning Returns so I have no idea about the prospective quality about either. Griever's post about Bravely Default is certainly making me feel good about it, though!

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

dreffen posted:

Kind of a good early year for SE with Bravely Default and Lightning Returns in February and FFX/X-2 HD in March.

I haven't really followed Bravely Default or Lightning Returns so I have no idea about the prospective quality about either. Griever's post about Bravely Default is certainly making me feel good about it, though!

Bravely Default is getting glowing reviews. I'm very excited about it. So annoying it didn't release worldwide at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

G-Whizard posted:

Bravely Default is getting glowing reviews. I'm very excited about it. So annoying it didn't release worldwide at the same time.

I agree with you but let's be honest here, Europe's gotten screwed over enough when it comes to games. I'd say we're long overdue for this kind of annoyance. :v: