Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
While being saved by third parties constantly is pretty bad, at least it's not constantly winning boss battles only for the story to act as if you lost even though you had to win the battles to progress. I remember an LP for one RPG where that happened (don't remember the name unfortunately) and man was it annoying.

And now you'll tell me this has been happening in this game all the time too, and somehow I didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I love how the party went into a dungeon, a villain appeared, and then a party member's mother showed up and beat him senseless.

It's a silly game and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not only that, but it's a silly game that manages to get it right just often enough to be a little endearing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I worry that they're just setting up Fina's mom to die to the end boss to demonstrate how much of a threat he/she is.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Partial :science: time.

Divine Victory Buster - Ancient Element. (Well, technically, it's Holy and Ancient.)

Unlike Divine Impact and Victory Buster, Divine Victory Buster is Ancient. Why? I'll get into it more as it goes on, but suffice to say, Raymah is scared of this move. Rain taught this move to Flare in a battle against Raymah. And yes, I mean taught. All of Rain's "new moves" are self-taught, and all he does is amplify certain characteristics of the spell on the fly. Here's a sample of what he's done:

Fire: Increase intensity, prevent escape.
Ice: Lower damage, target barrier.

All Rain did was show Flare how to combine her valkyrie Divine Impact and Victory Buster together. But what about the Ancient Element? That's still another 5 or so updates away. All you need to know for now is that Omega Wave, the spell mentioned by Fina before, is also Ancient Element.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

SSNeoman posted:

I think we had like only two boss fights where some external force didn't have to bail us out. I honestly don't like this trope. I appreciate when developers try to mix gameplay and story together, but constantly having an external force bail you out sucks.
Yeah, same. I mean, on a few occasions it's cool to see another character go all out and save you. But by now, this type of "bossfight" has become old and annoying.

Bholder posted:

These two are meant for each other!
The next update is going to show you how loving right you are. :respek:

Glazius posted:

I worry that they're just setting up Fina's mom to die to the end boss to demonstrate how much of a threat he/she is.
Iirc, that won't happen. There will be other ways to show the True Power(Tm) of CHAOS.

Also, blame society for making me work instead of LP'ing 24/7. Had some stuff on my hands, but managed to save some time for the next update in between. It'll get posted in a few minutes.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mind Games

"Yes ma'am!"

"Ryle.."

"*gulp* *gulp* *Caris put the medicine into Ryle's mouth*"

"...."

"...."

"Please work~ *praying anxiously*"

"He should be fine..."

"...."

"...."

"...."

"Dear Ryle..."

"Looks like there's no change..."

"It's too early to conclude yet."

"Not yet!?"

"I can hear his heart beating, but how come he isn't waking up?"

"In my case, the old injury healed almost instantly."

"That means!"

"His body is healed for sure, but then..."

"You mean his mind isn't?"

"Oh no!!"

"What!?"

"It..can't...be..."

"Can't be cured!?"

"But I can see his heartbeat got stronger and faster, which means his mind is also getting stabilized."

"!!"

"If even his mind is damaged, the signals from the brain to the heart would have been cut off. Then his heart will stop beating. He would be dead by now. Right now he's still fighting with himself inside. So it's up to his will to live."

"Ryle..."

"Please come back..."

"Orubia?"

"You always run off alone, but then you would return to Lavas no matter what..."

"She is right..."

"Ryle Dono will make it! just like he always did!"

"Now you're talking."

"I believe in him too...that he'll come right back to us!"

"Yay!"

"All we can do now is pray for him to come back safely!"

"Then how about we head for Meldia now?"

Right here, the conversation takes a turn into worthless. There is something in there that may be important for Flare's backstory, but it's mostly pointless bullshit. So feel free to skip past the whole thing!

"Huh?"

"Without Ryle?"

"Don't know when he would wake up, and we shouldn't waste our time just waiting here."

"Maybe we should bring Ryle Dono along?"

"I think we need him to progress further."

"And it would be too hard on him as well~ I mean leaving him behind alone..."

"In my opinion, you should wait till he recovered."

"Why?"

"Say what if he wakes up right after you girls left?"

"Then we just let him catch up with us!"

"Oh I get it!"

"What do you mean?"

"Dear Ryle would be traveling alone without us! That's too risky for him!"

"Then one of us should remain here to accompany him."

"I thought about that too."

"You did too?"

"He always cares for others first, he'll definitely risk himself again to help us. If that happens whoever with him ends up going thru the same kind of dangerous situations."

"You're right..."

"And I'm sure Fina will try to get into the castle using my name, but that won't work."

"Waaat! How come?"

"It's simple. Some people once used my name trying to assassinate the king!"

"Those bastards!!"

"But King Zestrum of Meldia has such good reputations! Who would do such a thing?"

"Obviously the bad guys wouldn't let go of him..."

"How could this happen.."

"That's why we need Ryle to make contact with the king."

"Dear Ryle..."

"So we can't go without him at any rate!"

"I don't like to say this, but it's true."

"So everything is up to him now..."

"Don't worry...he will come back for us. I'm sure of it."

"Although sometimes he makes rash decisions, he would never let us down..."

"Indeed he solved the cases in both Southern Cray and the capital."

"It's best to wait for him now."

"I don't know many things, but being with everyone is so much fun!"

"That's right!"

"Miss Orubia...*tearful eyes* Finally I met someone who really understands me~!"

"Now calm down Sis Mariel. Good girl, don't cry."

"(Sometimes I wonder, maybe the two are long lost sisters?)"

"Anyway let us wait for now. He is our leader after all..."

"Yes.."

"Mm...*nod* (Ryle, everyone's waiting for you! Please wake up soon!)"

Ugh, finally that is over with. I honestly have no idea what the point of this derail was supposed to be? gently caress it, let's move on to things of actual importance!

Cue ominous transition...

..and now we're with Ryle again. Though, where the hell is he?

"Mm! I feel like as if I have lost some of my memories...can it be?"

"I don't know who was just talking but I better get outta here soon!"

Being inside the mind of someone is a pretty common thing in RPGs, so this segment shouldn't surprise you. It's a nice little change though, and decently executed. You basically have to navigate a small platform maze, and pick up the memory fragments. The timer is pretty relaxed, and there are several ways to increase your time left. It's unlikely that you'll run out of time while you're here, though there is one dickmove at the end of this. Also, this section is a decent attempt at fake 3D, because the arrows allow you to drop down from one platform to the other. Solving this part isn't hard or complex, which is a good thing because the last savepoint was before we picked up the roots.

The first thing you wanna do, is let some air out of this cushion.

You need to drop down on it at some point, and less air means access to another layer of platforms.

Navigating this place is pretty easy, since it's not that large. Though there are some hazards to watch out for. See that little blue flame? If that touches you, it'll eat 10 seconds from your timer.

The flame will disappear afterwards, and respawns a moment later. But since there won't be more than two flames on screen at the same time, it really isn't that much of an issue.

There are also random encounters in here, and one type is actually good for you!

"!? Lady Flare?"

"So you've been here after all. You are now standing inside of your own mind."

"Is that possible? Being trapped inside of the world created by myself?"

"Looks like there're some troubles coming ahead."

"These are the monsters feeding on my memory fragments. Can't you help me with this?"

"Look what you're asking! My presence here alone is a very risky business for both of us. If I do something like that, your mind will be destroyed!"

"Then what can I do!?"

"Let me give you this. It's a Memory Protect"

"What's the use?"

"It can delay the time for you to collect the fragments, so use them to increase the TIME LEFT."

"Oh that would be great help! Thank you ma'am!!"

"You have to come back! All the girls are waiting for you!"

"Yes ma'am!"

This is a consumable, that will add thirty seconds to our clock. And Flare will give you another one each time you meet her from here on out. Random encounters in here will either be Flare, or monsters, but the chances to meet Flare seem to be higher.

The monsters in here are weak, but can cast sleep.

Let's snag the first chest. We could already see it from the starting point and it's simple to get there.

"Who are you!?"

"I am Ryle! That fragment belongs to me! Give it back!"

"I am in the middle of my dinner!"

"My memory is not for you to eat!!"

"It's mine now!"

"That's a precious part of my life!!"

"I said it's MINE now!!"

You have the choice to back off, but that's pointless as you need to fight.

"No other choice but to take it by force!!"

Memory Eaters are pushovers, and I just spam Ryle's best moves.

Sadly, there is nothing special after you have collected a fragment. Would have been neat if we actually got to see some of Ryle's memories. Like when he and the girls where little kids, or something like that.

Our next stop is the platform above us.

Everybody knows that pressing random buttons is the smart thing to do!

:supaburn:

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyaow!!"

The gently caress is wrong with your mind, Ryle? :v:

Well, since we're now on a new platform, we have access to the upper parts of the maze.

The next step is to jump down again, and land on the cushion. And since we took out some air, it'll bounce us to the next chest. With full air, you will shoot over the ledge with the chest, and will have to make your way back down again.

The fight plays out exactly like the first one, though Ryle has an idea afterwards.

"I kind of came up with something new from the battle...Maybe I can use this after little more practice and refinement..."

:toot:

This new attack seems to just be a plain power-move. I haven't been able to find anything special to it.

Each collected fragment will also spawn a clock, that adds thirty seconds to your timer if you collect it. With this and Flare's help, it's pretty hard to run out of time.

The last chest is to the right of the previous one, and now we can work in getting out of here.

Putting the air back into the cushion...

....let's you bounce to the top area of the screen.

:ohdear:

"Mm?"

"W-What the....!? I feel my body is getting weak!"

"!! S-Soul Eater!?"

"Your....soul...I...want...it....bad...."

Remember the Eater back in the mine? And how he was immune to Ryle's sword attacks? Yeah, this one is also like that. You have to endure a bit until the plot saves you, and that right there is the dickmove. If you happen to enter this fight with little time left, because you thought that this segment was over, you're basically screwed. And the last savepoint was a good while ago, so have fun with that!

I let Ryle attack the Eater, until things happen..

"I promised them that I'll return no matter what! I can't lose to this guy!!"

"Ryle~!!"

:woop:

"!! Caris? How can you be here!?"

"With Lady Flare's help, I am able to communicate with you inside your mind!"

"So it's the same Soul Eater we encountered back in the Dannyon Mine?"

"Yup! This one is actually stronger!"

"But we have become stronger too! Support me Ryle! I'll handle this one!!"

"Alrighty! It's our pay-back time!! I can't beat this guy alone! So I better not let the partners HP drop to 0!!"

Caris pretty much craps all over the Eater, while Ryle keeps her HP in shape. But there is something interesting about this fight! See, the girl with the the highest Att score, will be the one that helps you out here. So this is the point where a lot of alternate content is available. Any of the girls could have joined us here, and there is also a romance scene afterwards. That's quite a lot of content made by Flare/Fanboy, that will probably never be seen! Heck, I'd wager that most players won't even realize that the Att scores come into play here.

Here's the animation for Ryle's new move.

It's useless against the Eater, but I still wanted to show it off.

Eventually, the Eater dies just like any other enemy..

"Of course we did it. Because I was here!"

"Tsk! You just never change!....I was gonna say that, but you really saved my day this time!"

"You just never change! Letting others worry about you to death...is still your specialty!"

"Oh~ pipe down!"

"What!"

"Well I see you're full of energy, so I guess you're alright then! Let's go back."

"Hm! I can go back without your orders!"

"Beh~ Then don't come out of here if you won't regret!"

"Ok! So you gonna do it! Come on! You and me now!!"

The thread cries when mommy and daddy fight :qq:

"...."

"....."

"Pu!...Ahhahaha!"

"Ha...hahaha!"

:3:

"Then I'll go ahead and wait for you outside ok?"

"Yeah...I'll be there soon."

"!!"

"I am...at Fina's house?....Huh? Where's everyone?"

Let's take a look outside....

"!? Caris?"

"Ryle!! Y-You surprised me...!"

"Hey! I am finally back, and this is all you can say!?"

"If someone sneak behind you at night, would you be happy!?"

"But if you didn't detect the enemy from behind, you need more training right?"

"Hm! You are always good at changing the topic!"

"By the way, where is everyone?"

"Take a look at this."

It's almost as if Flare left those two alone on purpose :ssh:

"What?"

"They already left when I got here..."

"What were they thinking? I mean what if we lost to the Soul Eater?"

"And I have to wait here with YOU! What were they thinking...*sigh*"

"........."

"......."

"(Ok ok..I better act mature, and say a kind word at least..)"

"Ryle....Why did you cover me?"

"Hey! I saved your life you know! What do you mean by why I covered you!?"

:qq:

"(Ah! I remember that face.)"

"I...showed you this kind of face...It's not the first time..."

"(She's right...the night after we were back from Dannyon Mine...she cried...)"

"Which reminds me of something you said to me back then..."

"....I remember now."

"You lied to me!! Don't you remember?! You said, "I'll do that next time(Not taking my life to lightly)..I promise!"..."

"...."

"Say something! It better be good this time!!"

"All I can say is I'm sorry for not being able to keep my word. I just wasn't good enough..."

"...."

"But you know what...I'll would never forgive myself if I lose you! I didn't have much time to think back then...it was only a split second and my body just reacted...But now as I think back, I rather break a promise and see your sad face than actually losing you!"

"And...you are a girl after all! Don't you think a guy who can't even protect a girl is pathetic?"

"You said the same thing...back in the Dannyon Mine."

"Eh? I did?"

"Hm! Sleepy head!"

"Ah~ shut up!"

"But since you're back safely, I'll forgive you this time."

"Caris..."

"But I'll say this only once! There's NO 3rd time!!"

"I'll keep it this time! I promise!"

"You better do!"

:glomp:

Again, this whole part will play out with the girl that has the highest Att score, so there are quite a few outcomes. And the scenes for Caris and Latyss can have some differences, depending on which of the two followed you into the mine. This amount of work, is one of the reasons why I wanted to showcase this game. It's easy to just see it as a wacky and weird romp through a teenagers Anime fantasy, but the different scenes and such show a respectable level of dedication and attention to detail. And it's downright unique, if you put it in the perspective of when the game was released. A huge part of its success, was due to how advanced and complex it was compared to other Maker games at the time.

I'm pretty glad ya'll stuck with Caris so consistently, because that made this last scene a little bit more personal. And we also get something out of it...

Att 32 >>>> 37

It isn't much, but it's a nice touch. :)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Huh. Wow. For every girl? drat son. That's pretty impressive. I can certainly appreciate the dedication to the concept.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
If you picked Caris at the mine like we have, this scene works really well. Latyss for the mine and here is also a good combo.

To get Mariel here you really have to go out of your way to do so since you don't have much of a chance to raise her Att compared to the other girls. I can't remember if it's worth it, however.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, it wasn't QUITE as anime as I thought, she didn't actually punch him, but I still called it with the comparison to the mine. Is it always Caris that gets hit in that scene? Or is it whoever you took to the mine? Or is it based on attraction so that the "coming back to life" scene always syncs up?

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 7, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, that's all surprisingly nice for Anime Fanfic: The Videogame. Though for some reason I didn't remember this part at all...

Tin Tim posted:

The gently caress is wrong with your mind, Ryle? :v:

Wouldn't it be easier to list the things that aren't wrong with it?

quote:

This new attack seems to just be a plain power-move. I haven't been able to find anything special to it.

That's about right. It can cause Bleeding, but that's just more damage.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
I got Orubia on my first playthrough and Caris with my second.

There isn't much in Flare's backstory in that little section; actually, it's meant to set up a part of how the world works. So unfortunately, no :science: yet. I will hint that that realm that Ryle was in will be touched on in a later :science: post, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the enemies you fight are more focused on timing you out with sleep attacks than on actually killing you.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
This game really does have it all: fancy combat animations, dumb scenes, silly typographical errors and a lot of effort being put into it. It really is quite impressive!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Huh. Wow. For every girl? drat son. That's pretty impressive. I can certainly appreciate the dedication to the concept.
Yeah, that's why I think that it's worth to put up with the :japan:

Brony Hunter posted:

If you picked Caris at the mine like we have, this scene works really well. Latyss for the mine and here is also a good combo.

To get Mariel here you really have to go out of your way to do so since you don't have much of a chance to raise her Att compared to the other girls. I can't remember if it's worth it, however.
Caris really is the best choice for this scene imo. Latyss' scene is good as well, but I think that the writing for Caris just fits, you know? I never felt the need to see this scene with any other than the two, but people that want to could just make Love Potions with the grail and change the standings.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Okay, it wasn't QUITE as anime as I thought, she didn't actually punch him, but I still called it with the comparison to the mine. Is it always Caris that gets hit in that scene? Or is it whoever you took to the mine? Or is it based on attraction so that the "coming back to life" scene always syncs up?
It's always the girl with the highest Att score, so there is a version of this scene for each one. And I'm glad that she didn't punch him or did some other wacky stuff. I can honestly appreciate the serious tone of this scene.

Glazius posted:

I like that the enemies you fight are more focused on timing you out with sleep attacks than on actually killing you.
Yeah that's a nice little touch. As said, the whole time mechanic isn't too crucial or anything, but Flare did his best to make something out of it.

Soo, hey folks, how are you doing? :)

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I had to take a little break from this Lp. I also have another thread going, and I dragged that one along a bit longer than I initially wanted to. So I'm going to power through the last couple of updates for that one, before I get back to this. Should be like another week or two at most.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Sorry for the hiatus! Here's a big update to make up for it :v:

Is That a Sasquatch In Your Pocket, Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?

"Finally everyone is here."

"Ryle! How do you feel now?"

"Think I slept for too long, so my head got little dizzy but my body is healed 100%. Was it called Paramekia Roots? It's really powerful!"

"We went through all the trouble to get that medicine, it gotta be good!"

"I'm kind of more worried about Orubia and Latyss, they got exhausted from using healing spells on me."

"I am fine. I am a priestess, I got used to this kind of work."

"Sylph helped me a lot, so I am not that tired either."

"But I'm dying here~"

"Ryle, I'm sure you already know this, but only you can see the king now."

In the last update, we learned that some evil guys used Flare's name to get into the castle at some point. So we need Ryle's secret royal handshake or something.

"I was kind of wondering about that for some time, is Mr. Ryle some kind of high ranking official?"

"Umm...how do I say this, I got means to see the king alright."

"Wow I'm impressed!"

"We better hurry to catch up."

"Fine with me, but what about Orubia and Latyss?"

"I said I can handle it! Sometimes you worry too much!"

"And I said Sylph helped me out a lot."

"Like Ryle said, I'm kind of worried about it too. It would be too rough on your bodies if you head for Meldia right now."

"Then should we take a rest today?"

"It's up to those two. I don't mind."

"Since the Mahzoks appeared at Mount. Meldia, it's obvious they will attack us again soon."

"The Mahzoks appeared again!?"

"Yup...So it's better to take a break then heading for Meldia."

"Why don't we warp to Sea Mar Port first, and then head west?"

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot!"

"Good job Mariel!"

"Thank you, Hehehe~"

"So you are the sleepy head after all. How could you forget that~?"

"Yeah, maybe he is..."

"W-Who...do you call a sleepy head!!"

"Now the only problem left is my daughter's seas sickness~"

"Ohh! I completely forgot about that~"

"How could you~?"

"Sessha start to feel sorry about those on board the same ship...~"

"Anyway let's go to Sea Mar Port first."

"Yeah, those two will recover fully on the way, so we should head for Meldia right away!"

"Um~, could you explain one more time?"

"Kya! Why everyone got frozen?"

"Eh~? Is it because of what I said? Was it my fault~?"

:thejoke:

So was there a point to this scene? Not really! Well, it's purpose was to set up that Orubia and Latyss got exhausted from casting spells while Ryle was still down. Both of them say it's fine, but it'll get picked up again in a little while. They are totally not fine

Now we are left to our own devices for the moment, but there is actually not much that you can do.

The girls all mill around the house, but only Hayami has something interesting to say.

"Hayami!"

"......"

"Hello~? Anybody home?"

"Kya-! Ryle Dono! Please don't surprise sessha like this~"

"Hey wait! Was my face that horrible to be startled at!?"

"Anyone would do the same! And sessha didn't get surprised by Dono's face!"

"But you wouldn't have to jump double your height! As if you just saw a hideous thing~"

"No, it's not that! It's just...the habit of shinobi! As the enemy sneaks from behind..."

"But you didn't jump backward to land on my back! No?"

"Umm...~"

"B-By the way, that brings you here?"

Ninja dodged the whole thing :v:

"You looked like there is something on your mind other than the trip to Meldia."

"!!"

"!?"

"Sessha am fine."

"(She's hiding something...)"

I wouldn't blame you for poking her about it, because she sure acts weird. But the right choice is to trust her and let it be.

"(She's been honest and sincere all this time, I bet she'll tell me later when it's appropriate...)"

"If you need help, I'll be around. So don't push yourself too hard, ok?"

"Ryle Donno..."

"Even if I try to ask you now, it will only add to your burden. Come to me if you need any help."

"Is that ok?"

"Sure, but remember this, we got each other...."

"Thank you Dono. (Thank you for trusting sessha...)"

Att 30>>>32

Hayami has been honest and cool so far, so I think Ryle made the right call. Still, I wonder what's on her mind? :raise:

Well, with nothing left to do, let's got to Sea Mar Port and get on that boat.

1400 Gold may seem expensive, but I have like 30k in the bank so whatever!

Surprisingly, there is no quip about Fina puking everywhere :v:

After leaving the ship, the group gets approached by someone...

"Mm? Oh it's you!"

"Gohu Dono! Is that you?"

"You know him?"

"Name is Gohu, sessha too a White Shinobi like Hayami. Greetings my lady..."

"I'm Mariel Shells. Pleased to see you~"

"Urp. I still don't feel good~"

"But you already threw up many times during the trip. Wasn't that enough?"

""Hyper" sea sickness indeed~"

"But I didn't see you back in the ship, how did you get here?"

"Sessha can float across a small sea like this one by using wind currents."

Ninjas never cease to amaze :allears:

"Wow~"

"Anyway what brings you here?"

"Prince Dyss wants Ryle Dono to deliver his letter to Meldia."

"Is His Highness alright?"

"Yes..but His Highness can't move freely as used to be...constantly watched over by the enemies."

"The Queen obviously awares of our every movements."

"That's why the Mahzok ambushed us at Mount. Meldia. We have to hurry!"

"Once Meldia falls, there's no hope for us!"

"We must stop them before it's too late!"

"Gohu, please do your best to protect the prince!"

"Sessha already sent 10 White Shinobis by his side all the time, so please don't worry..."

"But be careful! Our opponent might not be human at all! Maybe it's a Mahzok!"

"What? Is it true Ryle Dono!?"

"Sessha fought them couple of times and they are very tough! Please watch out!"

" Understood! Then please accept this letter from His Highness!"

"Dewa Gomen!! (Then farewell!)"

*poof*

"We better do our best in our part!!"

"Please let me take a break~"

Okay, before we continue towards the castle, let's explore this town a bit.

First up, there is a special kind of item shop here.

I have no idea if they are supposed to be animal people, or wear costumes :shrug:

This is the first shop that offers souvenirs, and I buy one of each. Souvenirs where mentioned in the Hot Lover guide all the way back at the beginning of the game. I don't entirely recall what they're good for, but I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

It's been a while since we saw one of them, but this town also has the next NG scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JKuX2AxG4Q
:thejoke:

Onwards!

"Wait...for me. Hah,Hah...I'll get the map for you."

"No! Orubia don't over do it! You're already too tired."

"Hah, Hah...."

Told you that they totally aren't fine :colbert:

I'm going to cut out a few lines here, because everyone just talks about how the trip to the capital is really long and exhausting. That doesn't make sense at all, because we traveled far greater distances on foot before, and everyone except Fina supposedly got some rest on the ship. But Orubia and Latyss are still really weakened from spell casting, and actually won't be available to us for a little while. Flare had a reason for benching them for the moment, but it's kind of hamfisted. Because while everyone trades pointless lines that go nowhere, something happens...

:tvtropes:

"Don't play innocent here! I saw you were waiting to be picked up, and here we are~"

"I was standing here just watching the scenery. Not waiting for anyone."

"Tsk! Persistent girl aren't ya!? Then we'll make ya come with us!!"

"We must help her! Hayami, please go ahead and help her out!"

"Roger!"

"Huh?"

"Scarlet Spin Kick-!"

The first mook flies into the water...

"Meldian style!Kusen Ha-!!"

...and the second one follows.

"Yeeeeah!!"

"Gottya! I'm not as weak as those 2, you bitch!!"

"Noooo!"

"No I better do something!"

"Ha!!"

*poof*

"Arg! Who the hell are you!"

"!?"

"White Shinobi Hayami! Here to punish you!"

"Hehehe! Here's another pretty chick. Ok, I'll take both of ya!"

"Thank you for saving me..."

"My master will arrive soon, so please don't worry!"

"Where you think you're going!?"

"!? He blocked it!?"

"Hmhmhm! What's wrong little sis? Is that all you can do?"

This guy doesn't seem like a normal bandit at all!

:ohdear:

"Tsk!!"

"This guy! He's much more powerful than I expected!!"

"Fina, Mariel! Take care of these 2!"

"Ok! You can count on me!"

Ryle and Caris rush over...

"Hayami! Sorry for waiting!"

"Lady Caris! Thank you for the help!!"

"You bitch!! Alright! You all gonna die by my true power! Transform!!!"

TRUE POWAH!!

A wolf?

Ahahahahaha :wtc:

"So what's your real purpose for kidnapping her anyway?"

"You think I'm gonna just tell ya? I'll crush your foolish brain!!"

"Hah~*sigh* I'm kind of tired of this guy already...~"

"Please let us take care of this. You better run away."

"No I can't! I started all of this!!"

"We are used to fight monsters, so don't worry!"

"I'll be alright! Let's push him into the water!!"

I'd rather kill him, but if you insist...

"But be careful! He's quite tough!"

"Yes I will! Let's work together!"

"Hehehe nice plan! I like your attitude!! But you think a bunch of gals like you can beat me?!"

"He sure knows how to bluff...like an idiot~"

"Yup! Better toss this guy into the ocean to chill out!"

Sick burns, guys. :rolleyes:

"Great! I can try "that move" on him~"

Oh hey, that is coincidentally the move that will win this fight! But let's not get ahead too far.

We're joined by the mysterious girl in a Chinese dress, and she has some Anime martial art powers at her disposal. You already saw her animations though.

Okay, this is another useless boss battle, that has kind of a gimmick that almost works.

Yeah, he has a pretty high Def stat. But Caris' new move also reduces Def, so the challenge in this fight gets thrown out of the window right away! The boss doesn't even do that much damage, so you can just outlast him if you feel like it.

Caris busts out her new move...

...and then everyone smacks the boss until it's over.

"Ok ok, now your line is over so just beat it!"

"Gyaaa~ Mommy!!!"

"I just love that sound~!"

"Again I appreciate your help. Thank you very much!"

"By the way, you got some really nice moves back there!"

"(Yeah, she easily finished those 2)"

"Oh, that one. I learned a little martial arts and it's embarrassing to let you see that~"

"You better be careful next time. Walking alone in a place like this..."

"Yes, I will. Thank you for the advice."

"We're heading to the capital. Do you know how far from here?"

"All you have to do is cross this bridge and head little bit west. So it's not that far away."

"Then we can just go ahead to the capital now, then let Orubia and Latyss rest there."

"Ok, I'll carry Latyss!"

"(drat she moved first! I was gonna choose her since she's lighter...)"

"Hm? You look not so happy. Maybe Latyss is lighter and got bigger boobs?"

Where the hell did that come from?

"I didn't say that!!"

"Pervert!"

"No I'm not!"

"Then please let me guide you to the capital."

"Thanks..."

"Anyway let's bring everyone here first."

"!? Lady Mina?"

"!?"

"Miss Fina? Hi! Long time no see!"

Mina and Fina? :doh:

"Fina's friend? But Lady Mina means...Oh!"

"It's Her Highness! The first princess of Meldian Royalty, Lady Mina La Meldia!"

"Nani~!!? (WHAT!!?)"

Surprise! She's the princess of Meldia :woop:

"She's the princess of Meldia?"

Yeah, I just said that.

"Whattttt?"

"Somehow we have very strong ties with the royalty."

"..."

:tinfoil:

"I've never seen a noble this close."

"(Dope! I better start using proper manners & formal stuff!)"

"Oh, Fina~ We could've just pretended to not know that."

"But sooner or later they'll find out right? Not only that there's another royalty here."

"(No! Fina don't!)"

"A royalty from another kingdom!? Who's...?"

"Ryle, come here!"

"(Arg! I'm not a noble any more!)"

"So you are..."

"Umm. (Oh well, I got no choice then...~)"

"My name is Ryle Laster. I used to be the second prince of Factoria but not any more."

"Huh!?"

"Oh, please don't misunderstand. Due to the political reasons, I had to leave my rank temporarily."

"Oh my! I'm sorry to hear that. You've been thru so much hard times..."

How would she even know? :psyduck:

"But I feel so much relaxed and free. I like it this way..."

"Oh I see... Then what brings you to our Meldia this far away?"

"We can discuss that later after we got into the capital. Can we meet His Highness?"

"I'll inform His Majesty so you can meet him in the throne hall for the hearings tomorrow."

"Thank you very much. Lady Mina..."

"Then let's head for Meldia!"

"Hey Ryle, why don't you choose who you gonna carry first?"

They are both really tired, remember? I decided on Latyss, because she has the lowest Att score of the original crew.

"Y-You don't trust me?"

"... *stares*"

"Oh come on~ You should know it by now."

"Fine... I'll give it a try."

"Umm...good."

"But Sylph's watching your every move, so better not make any mistakes or else."

"Yeah~ I love this kind of job~"

"Caris, can't we switch now?"

"No, it would be so much fun to watch~"

"Where's end of this bridge!? I hope I can survive this one...~"

Att 28 >> 30

"Anyway we have to reach the capital and there's no way back for now. And I can't use warp nor Orubia and Latyss in battle. So better watch out."

Again, no idea why Flare wanted to do this. The capital is like a minute away from here, so I really don't see any point to it :shrug:

Speaking of pointless things, Mina joins us until we reach the capital. I think the translation is a bit misleading here, because I wasn't able to find any secret or something like that related to her. Tell me if you know, but I'm pretty sure that there's nothing.

Note: So, did you notice anything different about this update? I decided to give faces to the faceless! It always bothered me a bit that the faceless lines broke up the format, and there is a coming conversation with two faceless people at the same time. Transcribing that while still showing who is talking, would have been a real pain with the old format. So I'd like to continue with this new format. Of course, the faces won't necessarily always be perfectly accurate. I pretty much just collected some old facesets, and made a little library of standards. Like, random villains will just get the same "bad guy" face and such. It's actually kinda hard to find specific faces that still fit the RTP style from back in the days, so that's basically the best I can do. I think this also makes reading the updates a bit more pleasant for ya'll. However, if you happen to hate it for some reason, go ahead and say so.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 5, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I think the game's just saying "This character is not among Ryle's cadre of girlfriends, so if you want to use her, best do it now."

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

I almost totally forgot this part of the game. Yeah, Mina is pretty pointless, to me she felt like she was supposed to be a joinable party member, but was cut from the story halfway through writing, or something. I don't understand the purpose of her appearance, but I suppose maybe she references Flare's mysterious previous game? :shrug:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Really? I was sure she was a new addition to the harem, what with the chinese dress and the special attack animations.

Also a Maneki Neko (Beckoning cat) is a Japanese good luck charm.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Man, if only Orubia was playable we could finally have the full blue hair team. Oh well.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm gonna admit it. I laughed at "Why me :( "

The faces are fine, no complaints there.

Mehuyael posted:

Man, if only Orubia was playable we could finally have the full blue hair team. Oh well.

You fool! No man can handle that kind of power!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Mina and Fina? :doh:

Her full Japanese name is Merdia la Meldia which makes her sound like the town (presumably intentionally) unless you're paying attention. (in fact it's more literally Miredia la Mirudia but since Mirudia->Meldia has already been established I'm going with that)

And yeah, there's no highlighted text in the Japanese 'Mina will just be with you for a while' paragraph, I'm going to assume rm2kfanboy just really didn't want you to miss out on her.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Polsy posted:

Her full Japanese name is Merdia la Meldia which makes her sound like the town (presumably intentionally) unless you're paying attention. (in fact it's more literally Miredia la Mirudia but since Mirudia->Meldia has already been established I'm going with that)

And yeah, there's no highlighted text in the Japanese 'Mina will just be with you for a while' paragraph, I'm going to assume rm2kfanboy just really didn't want you to miss out on her.

Haha her name was Merdia. That's rich and I'm immature.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Small :science: time.

Welcome to the first ever foreshadowed party member of Romancing Walker. The game did have a sequel hook but was vague at best. However, Princess Mina (Merudia) was featured, and was stated to be a party member at some point in the game (if you read between the lines; it's never actually stated).

This is just speculation now, but the way the story of RW turned out, it seems like Mina was going to be the main character but it didn't feel right not having a male lead after the bait-and-switch mechanic of the first game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Sightseeing

After crossing the bridge, where not left with much of a choice where to go next.

You can find a little secret here though. It's five free Dinner Jellos :yum:

Off to the castle we go.

The capitol of Meldia is actually a neat town, and we'll explore it a bit in this update.

When you enter the city, the group automatically walks to the castle. This is also where Chun-Li Mina will leave us.

"(She's the same as usual...being sincere and honest as ever...)"

"......"

There still seems to be something on Hayami's mind...

"Hey, they got a bigger Inn than our capital."

"It's the kingdom ruled by one of the legendary heroes you know."

"Wow! What a big city!"

"Being here surely beats the descriptions from books! How marvelous!"

"Lady Mina, we appreciate your help letting us meet His Majesty."

"You're welcome. Then I'll send a servant to inform you tomorrow morning."

"Lady Mina, we came here for a very urgent matter, so please help us."

"Urgent matter!?"

"Yes it might involve the fate of our world, so please be noted and be ready for anything."

"...I understand. I'm not sure what exactly happened but I'll try my best."

"Thank you my lady."

"Please enjoy our city until then. See you all tomorrow."

Bye!

"Yup! Nothing to do today."

"Well then, Mr. Ryle! Would you go out with me? For a date?"

"Wha?!"

I would never expected Mariel to be so bold, but here we are. On the other hand, it could also be that she just lacks any awareness, and blurts out whatever is on her weird mind. Yeah, let's go with that one.

"Now waitta sec here! Why you all looking at me like that? She asked me first you know!!"

"Woman chaser..."

Oh here we go again. More needless Ryle bashing.

"Hm!!"

"You're so natural...being perverted of course."

"......."

"Why always me?"

Diversion opportunity detected. Activate skill "Change the subject" :rolldice:

"What's wrong Hayami?"

"Hey! Don't even think about getting away this time!"

Skill check failed!

"You always do that!"

"Dear Ryle always avoid facing the real issues!!"

"Not again."

"Um, hello? It's not good fighting among ourselves you know?"

"Let's hurry to the Inn before it's too late. the rooms might all be booked up."

"Yeah we better hurry! Let's go! (Whew~ Nice timing Hayami!)"

"(Dope! He got away again~)"

With that behind us, we can get to exploring. There is no need to rush to the Inn, and you'll miss something if you do.

There is a message board in the center of town, and it's totally not foreshadowing :ssh:

The Rune Tri is an upcoming plot dungeon.

Let's buy some things.

The gear in Meldia is a neat boost in raw power/def, but it lacks any special properties or resistance. So I only buy a handful of things, and mostly keep the old stuff around. The item/gadget shop is connected to the forge, so let's swing by.

"Tanin! Don't forget to smile all the time~"

"Yes, daddy!"

"Welcome to Manning's Gadgets :h: The hee~"

She has a really sparkly smile, I guess?

"....."

If you have Mariel in your party, she'll trigger something here.

"Of course lady! It's very vital to our business~"

"(But not like this...~)"

"I see, just having good deals isn't enough for the good business."

"Anyway, what can I do for you?"

"Umm~, I heard this store carries "T-parts". Do you have any left?"

"Tea pack??"

I'm not going to try to transcribe that weird symbol :shrug:

"!! Lady you have a GUN?"

"Yes, I do. But it's the old AT series model."

"Is that the machine gun type ATM 001?"

"Mine is ATH 001...a handgun type."

"My father had ATM 001, but he broke it during the Demonic War."

And here we learn that Mariel's father apparently played some kind of role in the war.

"(I got no idea what they're talking about...)"

"And so I am looking for the upgrade module, ATH T-parts."

"(I can't believe they talked for more than 1 hour~)"

"...I got the last one."

"Really? Yippy~ Please let me have it!"

"It costs 75000 Gold."

:argh:

"Hey that's a rip off!!"

"Because it's so rare man~ And you can't find it any other store!"

"But the part only costs 7500 Gold. Right?"

"We used to sell these so I'm sure of it."

So her family also seemed to have a gadget shop. We're learning all kinds of things today!

"!!!! *gulp*"

"(Go girl! Keep pushing him!)"

"I'm sure the price varies from store to store, but isn't that too high?"

"HA HA HA~ It was just a joke, lady! A Meldian joke, please don't take it seriously~"

"(Right~, you were sweating all this time pal!)"

"So it'll be 7500 Gold right?"

You can't put a price tag on winning the affection of a borderline retarded nerd girl :v:

"Are you sure Mr. Ryle!? It's 7500 Gold you know?"

"Don't worry. I too have interest in these kind of stuffs."

"I was just asking...but since you would buy it for me, I'll take it!"

"Thank you:h: With this, I'm sure I can help everyone much better!"

:toot:

"Whew~ I almost missed this one."

Att 23 >>> 26

Parts are Mariel's gimmick. You can find different parts throughout the game, and each one will change how her gun works. You can freely switch around, but can only equip one part at a time. And they usually have a little drawback to them.

"With T-parts equipped, I get RC-TWIN. Now I can shoot twice, so the fire power has been upgraded! Equip this?"

Yeah!

There we go. Two attacks at higher power, but lowered accuracy. It isn't vital that you look for parts, because Mariel's skills are already good, but it's a nice little thing that makes Mariel a bit more interesting.

Also here's what happens when you enter Manning's shop interface, but don't buy anything.

"My daughter! No dinner for you today!!"

"Oowaa~ Not again~"

"(Oh come on, that's too much!)"

:v:

Let's continue exploring.

Jugon is a famous musician that we'll meet shortly. He's also part of an unmarked quest that I completely forgot about.

Meldia is the nicest kingdom we've seen so far, and all the citizens make extra sure that we know.

Next to the town square, is also a large church.

Not gonna lie, this one made me :lol:

There is also a possible Final Fantasy reference here.

At least her name is from FF. :shrug:

Okay, now we've seen the city. Let's head over to the Inn.

The guy on the stage is the famous Jugon, and he's accompanied by a floating squid on the piano :v:

Let's chat to some of the folks around.

"Not quite, actually it's only 1/10 of what you expect. And this is her voice from the heart."

Girlfriend's voice from the heart:"He's so immature...get angry for little things~ never come on time, not only that he became a guard, the most dangerous of all jobs! A total loser!"

"Noooooooooooo~"

"(Ah...it's just so sad~)"

"(I'm not 21 yet...~)"

Come on, he offered it to you. You could at least have snuck in a sip. What? Is there like a magical booze guardian that drags you to Anime jail if you're drinking before turning 21?

Good swordsmen actually don't drink at all. Because being hammered usually has negative effects on your coordination :engleft:

This is a reference to Mokujin from Tekken. Or rather, a reference to the Mokujin ending in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Only that the genders are switched here.

And here is Jugon.

As I said before, he has a quest. He says that we should visit him later to learn more, but what he really means is "Visit me so that I can ask you if you have found any of the parts yet". I honestly forgot that this was a thing, so we'll see if I can complete it.

You can try a few different BGM tracks if you feel like it.

"But the only musical instrument here is piano, how could this be possible?"

:dealwithit:

Well, that's all the things worth seeing. So let's take a nap and visit the king in the next update. Can you guess what the king will have for us? A big steaming pile of plot!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 31, 2014

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

For it's faults, I do love some of the NPC banter in this game. It can be a little ~*anime*~ and :japan: but some of the NPCs are surprisingly charming and endearing.

Then I'm reminded we had the "ho ho Ryle is a called a pervert by all the girls" routine for like the thirtieth loving time. gently caress this game. :negative:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Brony Hunter posted:

Then I'm reminded we had the "ho ho Ryle is a called a pervert by all the girls" routine for like the thirtieth loving time. gently caress this game. :negative:

And this time for no reason! I mean she just asked him out for a date, it doesn't necessarily mean she's planning to bang him.
That was pretty direct of Mariel though. She's usually kind of on another planet, so who knows.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Mariel seems to switch between having her head in the clouds to being really direct and blunt almost at a whim.

On a :eng101: note, she actually starts with by far the highest Attraction of all the girls, given she joins far later. Of course, everyone else has had plenty of time to catch up through dialogue choices and optional scenes, but if you act like a dumbass or just blitz through the game up to this point it's very possible Mariel will have 20 points or so more attraction than even Caris or Orubia!

So, maybe she does just want to bang Ryle? :confused:

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

SSNeoman posted:

And this time for no reason! I mean she just asked him out for a date, it doesn't necessarily mean she's planning to bang him.
That was pretty direct of Mariel though. She's usually kind of on another planet, so who knows.

And even so he's not the one chasing her which is what the others were accusing him of. If someone wants to bang you, you're not the skirtchaser.

Also, that strange symbol (which I can't be bothered to transcribe either) is one of the astrological signs for Pluto. :eng101:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Golden_Zucchini posted:

And even so he's not the one chasing her which is what the others were accusing him of. If someone wants to bang you, you're not the skirtchaser.

Also, that strange symbol (which I can't be bothered to transcribe either) is one of the astrological signs for Pluto. :eng101:

Isn't it also a symbol the game uses to denote, like, "bullet type" damage?

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Glazius posted:

Isn't it also a symbol the game uses to denote, like, "bullet type" damage?

It looks like it, yes,but he seemed confused at the mere sight it and I happened to recognize its source, so...

Actually, I think all of the damage type symbols are pulled from astrology. I just don't know enough to recognize most of them.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yo! Sorry for the delay, but the next update is a huge steamer, and I needed a few breaks while writing it. You'll see when I put it up in a few minutes...

Brony Hunter posted:

Mariel seems to switch between having her head in the clouds to being really direct and blunt almost at a whim.

So, maybe she does just want to bang Ryle? :confused:
At this point, it's fair to say that any character will act how the plot demands it at any given point. Yeah, there is some consistency, but when the plot says "jump" everybody leaps.

Also, I rather not go down the rabbit hole and discuss wether Mariel made a joke, is dumb, or really wants to hook up with Ryle. :japan: lurks down there.

Golden_Zucchini posted:

It looks like it, yes,but he seemed confused at the mere sight it and I happened to recognize its source, so...

Actually, I think all of the damage type symbols are pulled from astrology. I just don't know enough to recognize most of them.
Don't think so. At least the next update will have most of the symbols again so people can check. Still, thanks for the heads up about the bullet symbol though! My guess is that Flare thought it would be a good reference or something like that.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Suddenly, A Wild Plot Appears!

"Here."

"Mm, alright then. Please go ahead."

To keep with the theme of the town, Meldia castle is also rather pretty. If you talk to either of the guards here, the camera will pan to his side and show the roof of the castle.

Just in case you wanna marvel at it, I guess?

I honestly like the design of this place. It's pretty colorful and has fountains and flowers everywhere.

"One weird looking guy sighted! Right in front of me!"

The guards are kinda rude though :v:

Let's check the big gate in the middle first.

This is the main area of the castle. It's mostly a mess hall, but has a few rooms around it.

Here's the kitchen.

"I'm checking food for any poison. And I'm NOT stealing food!"

The storage.

This is the training area. The soldiers all move around to show that they're training, and all have some lines.

"Here I go! Haaaaaaaaaaah-! 123456789! All hit!"

"Hmm, I think I saw this move somewhere...with 9 hits and all..."

Dunno what this references :shrug:

:ssh:

There is also a magic research lab here. Though, the only interesting thing here, is a short lecture about the different schools of magic.

But I quickly want to pick up on this. The Ancient attribute has been mentioned a few times so far, mostly related to really powerful attacks like Fina's or Flare's Valkyrie stuff. However, there is a bit more behind it. Aside from being a Macguffin against the demons, it's also related to the past of this world. The researcher mentions it, but later in this update we'll learn a bit more about that.

With the lower floor explored, let's head up.

The door ahead of us leads into the library. Next to it is the king's chamber, and we can't go in there. The stairs lead to the throne hall, where we'll have our chat with the king.

Let's do some reading first!

Most of the books in here don't contain anything useful, but two of them are interesting.

"...Hmm...Mm? Maybe I can use this move!"

I honestly can't recall if this attack is good.

And then there is this.

Reading this triggers an event with Hayami, so we'll dig in. I'm also going to fix the grammar a bit, because this is kinda important backstory.

quote:

20 years ago, the Gaiares Empire tried to conquer Meldia, but the real purpose was to gather as many strong warriors as possible, in order to prepare for the coming battle against the Mahzoks. As a result of this, the Savior Flare Delstar emerged and defeated the Mahzoks. This was arranged by the Empire from the beginning. But the casualties on the human side were also too great, and the one responsible for all this, 22nd Gaiares Emperor Lodyss Fon Gaiares, was executed for his crimes 10 years later. After that, many royal leaders asked Lady Flare to lead their people. But she refused and retired with her last words to the people, "Real peace is not given, but is to be earned."

"Never thought Meldia and the Empire were enemies back then."

"........."

"Maybe they were right on using scare tactics on the people for immediate results..."

"But they should have thought about the innocent lives that would be lost for the cause..."

"It's not like sessha would plead for the Emperor, but he had no other choice in sessha's opinion."

"How come?"

"Think about it, how can you warn people during a peaceful era to get ready for the Mahzoks?"

"Hmm...I guess they won't listen. As long as there's no direct threat to their own lives, they won't realize."

"Sessha think it was the best option available to the Emperor back then, just like what Lady Flare said later. And the Emperor decided to do so because he knew it would be too late for us."

"Compared to him, we are very lucky today. People still remember the terror of the Mahzoks, since it was only 20 years ago. They still listen to us and they can get prepared in time, unlike what Gaiares had to face."

"Correct."

"The incident back in Factoria cost so many innocent lives, and I won't let that happen again!"

"(Ryle Dono has so much passion for the people of his kingdom. I should do the...)"

Hayami is the embodiment of :tinfoil:

"Hayami, I need your support more than ever! Help me!!"

"Sessha will! (For you, and for me!)"

Att 32 >>> 34

As much as I make fun of the weird writing/story, that part was honestly good. The history part, I mean. As far as I understood it, people were too secure before the first demon war. And when the Empire somehow learned about the coming war, the rest of the world was like "Lol, you crazy!". So the Emperor was between a rock and a hard place, and made the conscious decision to start a war, to force the other nations to militarize and accidentally be ready for the Mahzoks. If he actually planned to have a savior emerge from that is left to mystery though. I side with Hayami on this one. It was a lovely decision, that kinda had to be made. And the Emperor was probably aware that it would have great costs, and that he'd be punished later. As said, I dig this part. And it's also much more serious than you'd expect from this game.

Well, after the history lesson, it's time for a huge plot dump. But don't groan just yet, we'll actually learn what the hell we've been doing all this time, and what we're about to do. We can all groan together when it's over.

"It's my honor to see Your Majesty. I am Ryle Laster from Lavas Ville of Eastern Factoria."

"From the same, I am Caris Burnfist. At your service Your Highness."

"From the same. The name is Orubia Aquary. My honor Your Majesty."

"Also the same Your Highness. My name is Latyss Grynwind."

"Sessha's name is Hayami Raienji. One of White Shinobis, at your service."

"From Eastern Ernest. Fina Delstar is at your service."

"Mariel Shells from Cellen. My lord."

Just wanted to establish their names before I bring out the faces I picked for them.

"Yes, your Highness. It's been a month since I left Ernest."

"What a party you got young man~ *wink*"

Zestrum the legendary horndog :heysexy:

"(Oh, here we go again~)"

"Oh darling~? *sharp gaze*"

"!! *gulp* Hm, Mm.. *cough* OH YES! What brings you here this far?"

"I brought you here 2 important letters. Please accept them."

"Mm! *nod* Bring them to me."

Zestrum knows how to do it big. He even has a personal letter carrier :homebrew:

"....I see....the powerful magic we detected a couple days ago from Mount. Meldia, it was Mahzoks'."

"Not only that, our Factoria is already under their control Your Highness."

"We might be able to help Factoria if we could approach fast in forms of making treaties..."

"That would be very difficult Your Highness."

"Why dear Fina?"

"Because of the Mahzoks' control, Factoria is politically unstable. So they won't listen. Not only that, a high rank among the Mahzoks has infiltrated as one of Factorian royalty. Which made the situation much worse because no one would dare to go against her authority."

"Prince Dyss mentioned this in the letter."

"So Meldia is the last stronghold against their domination of the world."

"And their forces' mobility is far superior to ours, we don't have much time to prepare."

"We don't know their real objectives yet, we must be ready for all means of possible threats."

"......"

"I'm requesting your support not as the daughter of the savior but as a High Valkyrie. Your Majesty. We fought one of the Pure Mahzoks, and I realized their forces are to be reckoned with."

"You mean even with the power of the High Valkyrie, you had a hard time defeating them?"

"Yes my lord, if they continue to increase the resistance at such a rate, another CHAOS might emerge."

"...In that case, I must complete the search of Gaiares as quickly as possible."

"!? G-Gaiares!"

:aaa:

"Yes, indeed. We must find out the location of your father's homeland, the floating capital of Gaiares."

Now we learn that Rain, Fina's father, came from the old Empire. Oh, and also that their capital could float!

"But I heard the city has been totally ruined and it fell from the sky due to a reactor failure!"

Take note of the word "reactor" here. Yeah, aside from magic, this world also has some fancy tech stuff. But it's connected to the Ancient/Old World angle, and that's why I brought it up earlier. I mean, the last war was twenty years ago, which isn't really ancient history, but it seems like the tech stuff comes from an earlier time in this world. Like, Mariel's gun is actually kind of an artifact, and we haven't seen much other tech stuff so far.

"Correct, the city has sunk deep into the ocean; along with its inactive reactor. But we don't know where. Still, the place remains operational. It's just under the water while most of the structures are kept intact. As an ex-prince of the Empire, I'm sure of it."

"Your Highness was Gaiares Empire's..."

"Prince!?"

Surprise! :rolleyes:

"Mm *nod*, I joined the people of Ernest after I let Zeskar succeed the throne. Zeskar is the older brother of Fina's father."

"But what's the use? The place IS a ruin now and it's been under the water for so long."

"Did all of you know that the reactor made it possible for the city to float high above the sky?."

"Yes, I red about it. It says that the reactor core generates the anti-gravity field. And because of it's repulsion to the gravity, the entire city was able to rise into the sky."

"I see! So the gravity field keeps water out of the place even though the entire city is underwater!"

Yeah, okay. Science works exactly this way :pseudo:

"Hey wait a second, but its reactor is inactive now and that's why the place has fallen! Right?"

Ryle's mega-brain immediately finds the hole in this story.

"Umm~.."

"Simple. There are more reactors in the city. One used for the gravity field, and the other is for other similar purposes."

"More than 1?"

"We had many reserve reactors in case the one we're currently using has stopped working. The gravity field was also used for repelling the enemies away from the castle walls. Sort of a protection system."

If you had backup generators, why did the city even crash in the first place? - gently caress you, that's why! :argh:

"Once we find the place, we can evacuate the people over there! So they can be safe!"

So what? Are we going to stuff literally everybody we've met so far into a ruined floating city that smells like fish? :frogon:

"Let's say we found the city, are we capable of repairing the broken reactor? Even if we do have the materials and fuel, I'm sure the core was made by very advanced technology."

"I also expect many important devices other than the reactor need to be repaired, especially the control module is hard to fix."

"And how do we take the city out of the water?"

"The only way is sending the parts needed for the anti-gravity propulsion and let it rise by itself."

"That means we already have the parts?"

"The task was much easier than searching for the city."

"My concern is what the Mahzoks would do to Factoria while we're busy searching for the lost city..."

"......."

Still :tinfoil:

"I suggest we let Gohu and Prince Dyss take care of Factoria for the time being."

"I agree..going back to Factoria now is too risky..."

"But how do we find the lost city? Meldia already sent all of its resources and still not a clue yet."

"Father, is there any other way to locate the floating city?"

"Its gravity field cancels out most magic, so tracing its magical energy is almost impossible."

"Oh no..."

"There's still a warp device to Gaiares left after the "Demonic War"...."

"You mean the one near the cave called Abyss?"

I bet that's a great place to be!

"You know where it is?"

"But the appearance of CHAOS has disrupted the subspace and all warp devices stopped working ever since..."

"Ah, I remember that from books...the warp devices got shut down and needed to be reactivated."

"Tsk! This means we can't use the warp devices to reach the city!"

"But if we have the device and know how to reactivate it, we can still trace back its signal to the city..."

"Correct. I already have sent my best scholars and royal mages to make new parts. We can't just rely on the old machines forever."

"Then do you suggest us to search separately for the lost city?"

"Your Majesty, I think that would be the best plan for now."

"I also had that in mind. Flare suggested not to restrict your mobility by the kingdom laws in her letter."

"(Thanks mom, good timing!)"

"And Ryle Laster."

"Y-Yes Your Highness!"

"You are the 2nd prince of Factoria. Isn't that right?"

"But..how did you?...Ah, Prince Dyss' letter..."

"People need a leader, a symbol of their hope for this war, so I'll grant you the title of prince along with the privileges for this purpose."

"!!"

"You mean Ryle will be used as a public figure?"

"For the time being. So you will have total freedom to pursue the mission. Since Prince Dyss' hands are all tied up, this is at least what he could offer to help you. Please accept his offer."

"Prince Dyss..."

"And this is from me. So you can freely move within Ernest."

"!! Your majesty!?"

"Please take it."

:woop:

"And Hayami Raienji."

"Yes Sire!"

"You have been volunteered to serve Prince Ryle up to now. Correct?."

"Yes."

"It's not proper to work without any contracts; according to the mercenary's rules.."

"True indeed. Sessha's been violating the codes so far."

"Hayami!"

"Is...it!?"

"She didn't have the time to go through the proper procedures. So it's illegitimate."

I don't get this part at all. Mercenary work just seems to be very serious business, and Hayami gets in trouble for not having a contract? Does she have to pay mercenary taxes at the end of the year? Makes as much sense as anything else in this update! This contract business could also be why she seemed so troubled lately, but who knows?

"But Your Highness, according to the rules, she can choose to act out of mission plan if she's in danger!"

"That's why I forgive all her violations so far, but she must make an official contract from now on."

And now he's the king of mercenaries? I don't even know any more...seriously.

"I didn't know Sis Hayami had to..."

"But I don't want her leaving us so sudden~"

"Then how about we postpone the deadline for the registration of the new contract?"

"Ryle Dono!?"

"I know that the rules state, "the deadline varies with the current situation of the applicant"..."

"That's true..."

"The reason for the postponement, "Additional mission request from the client"..."

"You can do that...Hm Hm Hm! Like father and like son. You are very shrewd. *thumbs up*"

"Eh?"

"I know you'll set the new mission as the search for the lost city, so you can postpone the deadline pretty much indefinitely. Right son?"

"....."

"I'll assign Hayami a new mission."

"!?"

"!!"

"My request is...."Accompanying Prince Ryle in secret until the city is found."..."

"!?"

"And the deadline shall be set by me whenever I wishes it to be. Agreed?"

"Yes sire! Sessha will accept the case."

"Mm *nod*, good luck!"

Nothing about this contract thing made sense or added anything of value...WHY!?!?!

Okay, there's that :lol:

"Your Majesty..."

"Yay~"

"As a king, I can not directly get involved. Once I do, the entire kingdom will notice the dire situation. It might cause mass hysteria."

"......."

"You shall fight as an independent group and go motivate the public. You need to lead them into the movement against the Mahzoks."

"To lead the people..."

"Well it's up to the people to make the final decision for themselves."

"Which reminds me...when Flare began to fight as a Valkyrie, she was a commoner like everyone else. Maybe you are the new generation to save the world this time."

"I'm not sure if we can do that. But I just can't let the Mahzoks ruin our homeland."

"Everyone's eyes...resemble Flare's back then. When our homeland was under attack..."

"........"

"......."

"......."

"........"

"........."

"........."

"........."

"But I've never expected the Mahzoks would return so soon..."

"Please be ready for their invasion as soon as possible. We can't afford to lose Meldia now."

"I truly appreciate all of you coming here today. Now it's our turn to do our duty..."

"Then please excuse us."

Aaaaahh, so many words! :suicide:

I'm not even going to try to summarize this into something that makes sense. Because it doesn't and is full of gently caress. All you really need to take away from this, is that there once was an awesome floating city that crashed into the ocean. We need to find it, and also be heroes that people will look up to. There. Happy now? Urgh, I'm so glad this is behind us! Welp, let me leave you with something to chuckle at before I gtfo and pour myself a big and numbing glass of Whiskey.

Sure enough, the new titles are official. And Secret Agent is still hella funny.

:gay:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 31, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay so lemme see if I got this straight.

To-do list
-We need to find Gaiares, a city that floated in the sky but has now sunken below the sea. We're doing this because...
uuuuuhhhh...
...floating cities are cool and there might be clues about the Mahzoks?

-We will need to find this city using a transporter
-Which in a place called the Abyss
-And is broken and probably needs materials to be repaired

-Then we need to get the city flying again
-By repairing the main reactor with rare materials

Nothing that can't be done with a quick trip to the Radio Shack, basically.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Okay so lemme see if I got this straight.

To-do list
-We need to find Gaiares, a city that floated in the sky but has now sunken below the sea. We're doing this because...
uuuuuhhhh...
...floating cities are cool and there might be clues about the Mahzoks?

-We will need to find this city using a transporter
-Which in a place called the Abyss
-And is broken and probably needs materials to be repaired

-Then we need to get the city flying again
-By repairing the main reactor with rare materials

Nothing that can't be done with a quick trip to the Radio Shack, basically.
Yeah pretty much. Well, there is also the thing that we can keep people safe in Gaiares, because the awesome reactor field apparently works against demons? Though, it's only Caris that says that. I guess the king is smarter and wants to look for some sweet ancient weapons and stuff. There is another discussion in the Inn after this part, but I really didn't want to pile more stuff into one update. During that discussion, our next course of action will get a bit clearer.

And people that know this game, also know that the loving Rune Tri draws ever closer. God, I will curse about this place soo much :argh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Don't forget, though, all Warp devices stopped working! So the party can't just teleport to the city, they've gotta follow the signal and probably steal some kind of submarine to get there.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
:science:

Welcome the (former) protagonist, Zestrum! Well, I don't have his actual name from the game before, but it's the same guy. He and his wife Meldyss (first traveling together as "adventurers", then engaged) were the game's first two characters, and that horndog attitude of Zestrum never really left him in the sequel.

Zestrum (a Magic Swordsman) had Rain Delstar as his personal soldier back in Gaiares, but he decided not to let anybody else know (according to the player) so when you first encounter Rain there was no explanation of his familiarity with Zestrum. Zestrum's relationship with Rain and Zeskar are both...shall we say, plothole-laden in that game.

Speaking of plotholes, notice that little tidbit about the history of the Gaiares empire? 22nd Emperor "Lodyss Fon Gaiares"? Didn't Zestrum mention that he's an ex-prince and that Zeskar succeeded him to the throne? What happened there? In the first game, Zestrum gives up his Prince role a few moments before Flare's wedding, so it would seem to mean that Zeskar's the guy in charge. Interestingly enough, Lodyss and Zeskar were referred to as separate entities throughout that game, but Romancing Walker describes the two in such a way that makes you think they're one and the same. I don't really have an answer for you here.

Anyways, the first tick that you might realize regarding Zestrum and Meldyss not actually being the main characters is that Meldyss doesn't learn a single spell via Level Up. Zestrum (Magic Swordsman), Meldyss (Shieldmaiden), Flare (Valkyrie), Rain (Magic Swordsman, though losing access to his spells when plot deemed it necessary), Sentinel (Dragon Magic/Axe Warrior), and ??? (Pure Mage/<spoiler>) were all part of the main group at differing times, and only Meldys was incapable of learning via Level Up. It was certainly interesting, I'll say.

Also, speaking of loss, think about how courageous Flare was. She loses Zestrum and Meldyss as party members to try to stop Gaiares' corruption (the backstory wasn't being exactly truthful about the Gaiares' intentions; they actually wanted to try to destroy Meldia due to what they thought was demonic influence, when they themselves were influenced by Mahzoks), hears that the castle they raid collapses with them still trapped in it, and then while transforming at her interrupted wedding, realizes that Sentinel is now paralyzed for good and that Rain's disease is back and worse than ever and both can no longer fight with her, leaving just ??? left. And when ??? can't reach CHAOS and Flare has to fight alone, all of those doubts and losses catch up with her, and without Rain's intervention (and thus his death), Flare would've never beaten CHAOS.

I've hinted as to who ??? is before, but I'm stating this person now because this person is central to the entire core.

I'm sure "Secret Agent" was less clunky in the original.

Also, Polsy, I need to ask you if this line was translated accurately from the original:

- "Its gravity field cancels out most magic, so tracing its magical energy is almost impossible."

Because if not, there's a problem.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I believe you'll find it's an "ACIENT" element :colbert:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:stare:
...Okay fine. Flare had a pretty rough time fighting CHAOS.

Why the hell is CHAOS in all caps anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

There is also a magic research lab here. Though, the only interesting thing here, is a short lecture about the different schools of magic.

Ignoring minor details like 'there's 7 right there', the Japanese version includes Earth for a total of 8. Though yes, nobody appears to actually have an Earth spell so it doesn't hurt to leave it out.

Also some of the books in the Japanese library detail the effect of status conditions and how to cure them. Not sure where they went.

thenightsshadow posted:

Also, Polsy, I need to ask you if this line was translated accurately from the original:

- "Its gravity field cancels out most magic, so tracing its magical energy is almost impossible."

Because if not, there's a problem.

Gaires' gravitational field prevents all detection magic. It cannot be found so easily.

• Locked thread