Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

C-Euro posted:

From division lead to top 10 draft pick in two weeks, gross.

The bad part is that I have no idea who I'd want Detroit to draft, outside the old standby of "gently caress our secondary is terrible". Has Darqueze Dennard's stock risen at all since the OP was written? My dad is a big Michigan State homer and really wants him, and I could see him filling Mayhew's "2nd round skill position player who flames out after two years" draft criterion quite well if his injury history is that big of a question mark.

Dennard's definitely climbed his way to being one of the top DBs in the class according to the sources I keep up with, but I don't know if that means he'll be a top 10 pick. But I seriously doubt he falls to the second round unless he tanks all the post-draft activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

Not sure who that was, but I certainly liked Reuben as a prospect. He has some lovely QB to work with but he always seemed good for a long TD bomb every once in awhile, and him being drafted in the 2nd made sense to me.

Randle is a legitimate flanker and it was nuts that he wasn't at least speculated on in the late first. Giants got a steal.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Dennard's definitely climbed his way to being one of the top DBs in the class according to the sources I keep up with, but I don't know if that means he'll be a top 10 pick. But I seriously doubt he falls to the second round unless he tanks all the post-draft activities.

He can easily be a top 10 pick right now. The top 10 is bloated with QBs, and they're not all going there.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I can't wait for Manziel magic to work in the NFL, and piss off every one of those members of that good ol' boys clubhouse.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Gatts posted:

I am really fascinated to know what the Browns will pull off for this draft. Will we trade our future like Washington did or Oakland did to move up 1 or 2 spots and still not get Bridgewater and pass on Clowney to get Manziel? WHO KNOWS? ONLY THE BROWN KNOWS! Whatever the hell a Brown actually is.

Rumors been going for awhile now that of all the college QBs, the Browns FO values Teddy and Manziel the highest, with Bortles a possibility.

Teddy is impossible to get. Bortles is supposedly not coming out but who knows until the 15th comes and goes.

I want to believe Manziel can be a quality starter in the NFL, if only because of the chances the Browns draft him, but who knows. I generally expect every high draft pick the Browns have in the first to bust out anyway.

Let's pretend that Manziel does pan out. He can be creative, elusive and decisive. He can extend plays, he can make lemonade from lemons sometimes when the protection is busted from the snap, etc. He has enough of an arm to get the ball to Gordon or whomever else. In theory, he might be the best thing for the Browns. Assuming he actually translates his college wonders to the pros.

I'm living in fear of the Browns simply drafting a QB at 4, even if for some reason 3 QBs go in front of them, because every time they draft out of need we get poo poo like Weeden, Quinn and so on. The idea of BPA if Clowney is there or Watkins is very alluring but I really doubt it happens.

Then again, with the current front office, who the gently caress knows. Lombardi got his way and all the insider rumors say a huge part of Chud being fired abruptly is because he had Hoyer third on the depth chart in training camp and didn't elevate him over dumbfuck retard Weeden. In hindsight, this was clearly a mark against Chud given how bad Weeden is/was and how Hoyer looked competent and average but the offense was wide open and he was getting the ball out extremely quickly and to a lot of different players, while also utilizing the big targets in Gordon and Cameron. So maybe the Browns believe Hoyer is the answer and they draft a QB in the mid rounds to develop and go Clowney/Watkins at 4 and whatever else. I sincerely doubt Hoyer is the answer for the Browns but whatever they do will likely be the wrong choice anyway so buckle up.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

say no to bats posted:

Then again, with the current front office, who the gently caress knows. Lombardi got his way and all the insider rumors say a huge part of Chud being fired abruptly is because he had Hoyer third on the depth chart in training camp and didn't elevate him over dumbfuck retard Weeden. In hindsight, this was clearly a mark against Chud given how bad Weeden is/was and how Hoyer looked competent and average but the offense was wide open and he was getting the ball out extremely quickly and to a lot of different players, while also utilizing the big targets in Gordon and Cameron. So maybe the Browns believe Hoyer is the answer and they draft a QB in the mid rounds to develop and go Clowney/Watkins at 4 and whatever else. I sincerely doubt Hoyer is the answer for the Browns but whatever they do will likely be the wrong choice anyway so buckle up.

Banking your future on a guy who has thrown less than 200 passes in the NFL seems like an extremely Browns move.

They need to draft a QB high and I guarantee there will be 4-5 first round QBs and the Browns will get the only one who busts.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

Banking your future on a guy who has thrown less than 200 passes in the NFL seems like an extremely Browns move.

NFL teams do this every draft. Seeing as there are no sure-fire prospects at the position it isn't too impossible to imagine Hoyer being a better QB than anyone who comes out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Doltos posted:

Randle is a legitimate flanker and it was nuts that he wasn't at least speculated on in the late first. Giants got a steal.

I couldn't believe he fell to the Texans in the 2nd and they traded down instead of taking him and ended up with Posey and Crick, both of whom have done very little, instead

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Brady Quinn wasn't a reach, just a bust. The Browns got a good deal, considering they were projected to take him third overall

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

Brady Quinn wasn't a reach, just a bust. The Browns got a good deal, considering they were projected to take him third overall

Yeah. He was a quality prospect. I REALLY wanted the Chefs to trade up to nab him but the Browns slid in right ahead of us and we wound up with Bowe. Quinn wouldn't have been a huge reach at 3 and should have probably gone to the Dolphins all else equal

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Washington RB Bishop Sankey officially declared for the draft.

He doesn't excel in any one area, but is a well-rounded player with good vision and underrated speed. 3rd round material, could jump to the 2nd depending on how pre-draft activities go.

He also passes the Good Football Name test with flying colors.

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 31, 2013

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

Was he really a bust? I feel like he never had enough time to develop, and he had absolutely nobody to throw it to as Winslow was busy getting injured on the battlefield, and Braylon Edwards had brick hands.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Quinn was pretty gross, yeah

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

say no to bats posted:

Rumors been going for awhile now that of all the college QBs, the Browns FO values Teddy and Manziel the highest, with Bortles a possibility.

Teddy is impossible to get. Bortles is supposedly not coming out but who knows until the 15th comes and goes.

I want to believe Manziel can be a quality starter in the NFL, if only because of the chances the Browns draft him, but who knows. I generally expect every high draft pick the Browns have in the first to bust out anyway.

Let's pretend that Manziel does pan out. He can be creative, elusive and decisive. He can extend plays, he can make lemonade from lemons sometimes when the protection is busted from the snap, etc. He has enough of an arm to get the ball to Gordon or whomever else. In theory, he might be the best thing for the Browns. Assuming he actually translates his college wonders to the pros.

I'm living in fear of the Browns simply drafting a QB at 4, even if for some reason 3 QBs go in front of them, because every time they draft out of need we get poo poo like Weeden, Quinn and so on. The idea of BPA if Clowney is there or Watkins is very alluring but I really doubt it happens.

There's rumors flying around the Browns really like Manziel. He'd probably be fine as a long term option, if he's handled the right way. The problem is they just fired Chudzinski who's proven now at least 4 total years he can get the best out of a passer. If they intend to keep Norv as the OC or whatever there's potential there for him to tutor him well enough.

Johnny Football could be a revelation like Russel Wilson, but he's going to have some of those plays where the haters jizz in their pants over being right. Stupid poo poo like interceptions into triple coverage and 15 yard sacks for a loss. You get those with anyone like RG3, Newton and others who made their name with the bullshit they can pull off. It's just the way it is for as many amazing things they'll do they'll make some poo poo that makes you cringe. I don't see the Browns as having the stability to roll with the punches for two years and see how he develops though.

Guys like Quinn and Leinart are kind of in the same tier as Clausen, once thought of to be the future of some franchises, show flashes every now and then only to get caught up in a coaching staffs in flux and other issues that lead to their failures as much as their lovely play. In hindsight they all could've had probably decent careers if they'd been handled the right way but had their development ruined early. Clausen and Quinn probably had a higher chance of busting than we thought coming out but still, neither should've been as bas as they were.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I think Manziel (coupled with a QB guru) will be fine. Houston would be absolutely crazy not to draft him. I'm not saying they have to take him at #1, but he would be a God in that city.

E: Even though VY didn't pan out I think the fans would hold that against McNair if he passed on JFF. Texas fans are stupid and cultist like that - especially A&M alumni.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

John Brown posted:

Was he really a bust? I feel like he never had enough time to develop, and he had absolutely nobody to throw it to as Winslow was busy getting injured on the battlefield, and Braylon Edwards had brick hands.

If you draft a quarterback in the first round, and he's gone before his second contract, he's a bust.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

John Brown posted:

I think Manziel (coupled with a QB guru) will be fine. Houston would be absolutely crazy not to draft him. I'm not saying they have to take him at #1, but he would be a God in that city.

E: Even though VY didn't pan out I think the fans would hold that against McNair if he passed on JFF. Texas fans are stupid and cultist like that - especially A&M alumni.

Well I love you too.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Firing what seemed to be a competent coaching staff in order to bring Johnny Manziel with some college big name coach would be the most Mike Lombardi thing ever. Its nice to see him back to his old tricks. I was genuinely worried that we lived in a parallel universe where Lombardi was not a pant making GBS threads imbecile, what with good Hoyer, trading Trent Richardson and all.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Bigass Moth posted:

They need to draft a QB high and I guarantee there will be 4-5 first round QBs and the Browns will get the only one who busts.

Because banking on a guy who has thrown 0 NFL passes is way safer.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

John Brown posted:

VY was far more of a god in Houston than Johnny Manziel, because VY destroyed high school football here at Madison and then stayed in state to crush at Texas. He was as godly as you can get, basically, short of actual NFL success.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In case this hasn't been mentioned yet, the Cowboys and Ravens will do a coin flip at the Combine to determine the 16th and 17th spots, so the top 20 isn't quite finalized yet.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

bewbies posted:

Yeah. He was a quality prospect. I REALLY wanted the Chefs to trade up to nab him but the Browns slid in right ahead of us and we wound up with Bowe. Quinn wouldn't have been a huge reach at 3 and should have probably gone to the Dolphins all else equal

I remember being really mad that Carl Peterson actually did an interview with Trey Wingo (who he kept calling Zack for god knows what reason) and said he'd take Brady Quinn if he slid down to their spot.

One of the several reasons why he was really bad at his job near the end.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Benne posted:

In case this hasn't been mentioned yet, the Cowboys and Ravens will do a coin flip at the Combine to determine the 16th and 17th spots, so the top 20 isn't quite finalized yet.

Really things like this should be decided by an arm wrestling match between owners.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

swickles posted:

Really things like this should be decided by an arm wrestling match between owners.

Ralph Wilson would die if the Bills had to determine draft order.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

swickles posted:

Considering this would pit Steve Bisciotti against Jerry Jones I agree wholeheartedly. Would the coin flip set position for every round or does it alternate back and forth?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Considering this would pit Steve Bisciotti against Jerry Jones I agree wholeheartedly. Would the coin flip set position for every round or does it alternate back and forth?

Jerry would come out roided like Vince McMahon

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

What are the general thoughts on Rakeem Cato being an NFL prospect, if there are any at all? The NFL needs a name like Rakeem Cato among its quarterbacks, they're nowhere near as high-level as they could be.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Hockles posted:

Any info on Jimmy Garoppolo? His name is starting to pop up on the top QB lists. Good stats, but that's at Eastern Illinois.

I'm hoping Chicago drafts him to develop behind Cutler. Supposed to have only an above-average arm, but super quick release, accurate, decisive with the football, etc. It sounds like he fits a lot of what Trestman wants in a QB. And he tore up his level of competition, which is all you can ask for from a small-school guy.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Industrial posted:

Because banking on a guy who has thrown 0 NFL passes is way safer.

Hoyer is also in his late 20s with several serious injuries. Going with him as "the guy" isn't a great idea without a backup plan, and they're in a good position to actually draft a high 1st rounder which they will gently caress up anyway.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Giants might be targeting another OT in the draft because Beatty shattered his leg in a meaningless game that moved us out of the top 10 after being in there the entire year.

What I'm saying is gently caress people who think winning meaningless games at the end of the year is more important than draft position.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Doltos posted:

Giants might be targeting another OT in the draft because Beatty shattered his leg in a meaningless game that moved us out of the top 10 after being in there the entire year.

What I'm saying is gently caress people who think winning meaningless games at the end of the year is more important than draft position.

I'm p sure guys who are trying to retain a check next year don't give a poo poo about your petty draft preferences

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

John Brown posted:

I'm p sure guys who are trying to retain a check next year don't give a poo poo about your petty draft preferences

The players sure don't, that's obvious. I don't give a poo poo though. If a few meaningless games at the end of the year decides your paycheck, then you probably weren't earning it very well in the first place.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

That post was to supposed to be a bit more light-hearted than it seems.
Also, touché

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Somebody has to play in the games regardless of whether or not they have meaning. Unless you are seriously suggesting mathematically eliminated teams should outright forfeit games then someone on your team is going to get hurt.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sirtommygunn posted:

Somebody has to play in the games regardless of whether or not they have meaning. Unless you are seriously suggesting mathematically eliminated teams should outright forfeit games then someone on your team is going to get hurt.

I've been a big supporter of outright benching all your starters to see what your backups can do. I feel like the difference between some fringe starters and backups is just playing time. Bench your guys that you know you want coming back next year and give others a chance to win.

If you lose, better draft position. If you win, that's great too.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

If you win with a team full of backups your coaching staff comes under fire for why the backups weren't playing all year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

oldskool posted:

If you win with a team full of backups your coaching staff comes under fire for why the backups weren't playing all year.

If your backups win, your coaching staff should come under fire. However, it does explain why they don't do it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

oldskool posted:

And it happened just now. John Mara even said that he doesn't understand why it took three years for Gilbride to figure out that Jernigan could play.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Rooting for your team to lose is lovely. Win all the meaningless games you can.

I don't care how bad the Redskins are, I still want the Giants to sweep them, even to the detriment of draft position

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ungratek posted:

Rooting for your team to lose is lovely. Win all the meaningless games you can.

I don't care how bad the Redskins are, I still want the Giants to sweep them, even to the detriment of draft position

Yeah TFF has argued this before and I can see both sides. I really can't agree with winning meaningless games, especially at the expense of future player health. That's just me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Sataere posted:

If your backups win, your coaching staff should come under fire. However, it does explain why they don't do it.

If the starters win, great, that's their job. If the starters lose, you tried your best.
If the backups lose, you threw a game. If the backups win you're an idiot for not starting them.

You don't bench a guy unless he's hurt or he's so ineffective that you have enough backing to survive the "Why are they starting this scrub he sucks/why hasn't this guy been starting all year?" questions. It's all perception.

• Locked thread