Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The one thing I would say about how many duchies you hold is that the latest patch greatly incentivised having as many holdings in your capital as possible. The +50% levies applies to every holding there, and combined with setting your martial to train troops you can get an easy 3k from just one county if you hold multiple castles there. If your demesne limit is at like 7 or so, I'd much rather hold multiple holdings in my capital than spread out to holding a second duchy's worth of counties now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Torrannor posted:

Every pagan can raid, although everybody but the Vikings can only raid neighboring provinces. And every pagan has the county conquest CB.

All pagans can raid by boats, it's just that only Vikings can sail in great rivers.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Disco Infiva posted:

All pagans can raid by boats, it's just that only Vikings can sail in great rivers.
All Pagans can take a boat somewhere and start looting holdings (useful if you want to kidnap someone mainly or raise religious authority), but only Norse Pagans gets gold for doing it. Other pagans gets nothing unless the province borders one of their own.

e; actually I might be wrong on this since I haven't actually tried it, but it was the gist I got out of the Paradox developer diaries for the Old Gods.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 30, 2013

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Kainser posted:

All Pagans can take a boat somewhere and start looting holdings (useful if you want to kidnap someone mainly or raise religious authority), but only Norse Pagans gets gold for doing it. Other pagans gets nothing unless the province borders one of their own.

e; actually I might be wrong on this since I haven't actually tried it, but it was the gist I got out of the Paradox developer diaries for the Old Gods.

Nope, all pagans can loot by boats and get full gold and prestige when they return. Unless it was changed recently. My last non-viking pagan game was just before SoA.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

Nope, all pagans can loot by boats and get full gold and prestige when they return. Unless it was changed recently. My last non-viking pagan game was just before SoA.

Non-viking pagans have never been able to loot by boat.

edit- Oh wow. Other pagans CAN loot by boat, it's just that only Norse can make boats at the start date.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Yep, my second Old Gods game was with Tengri Cumania (first was as viking of course), and I wanted to see just for shits and giggles what will happened if I put my horse archers on boats and go loot Constatinopole...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DStecks posted:

Muslims can't marry Catholics. I have literally no clue how he converted.

Catholics and Muslims refuse to marry each other if they're in someone else's court, but a ruler can always marry a courtier in his own court. I married a sister of the head of the Knights Hospitallier (possibly templar) once and was able to call them to arms against my enemies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Allyn posted:

The one thing I would say about how many duchies you hold is that the latest patch greatly incentivised having as many holdings in your capital as possible. The +50% levies applies to every holding there, and combined with setting your martial to train troops you can get an easy 3k from just one county if you hold multiple castles there. If your demesne limit is at like 7 or so, I'd much rather hold multiple holdings in my capital than spread out to holding a second duchy's worth of counties now.

I'm playing the Umayyad sultan, ruling from my capital and Cordoba/Qurtubah of course. I own the 3 castles and 2 mosques, and between having high tech, a martial education and my marshal stationed in there I can call up 13,500 troops from my capital province. The year is 1000 AD. The amount of troops you can get out of a fully upgraded capital county is insane. If Cordoba were a 7 holding province I would have about 16,000 troops.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Torrannor posted:

I'm playing the Umayyad sultan, ruling from my capital and Cordoba/Qurtubah of course. I own the 3 castles and 2 mosques, and between having high tech, a martial education and my marshal stationed in there I can call up 13,500 troops from my capital province. The year is 1000 AD. The amount of troops you can get out of a fully upgraded capital county is insane. If Cordoba were a 7 holding province I would have about 16,000 troops.

That's an insane number of troops. I mean...I'm not martial and Paris isn't fully upgraded but I thought the 4.5k I was getting from there was impressive.

Also unrelated but how do I get the Jormsvikings to form? Its almost the year 1000, I've reformed, but I have not gotten them. Are there specific counties I have to conquer?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 31, 2013

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
How do I fix the issue with vassalized mercs/holy orders? When I inherited the Byzantine Empire my Varangian Guard was stuck at 3800 ish troops when all other merc companies can pull in 15k.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
What conditions cause Holy orders to form and crusades/jihads/great holy wars to activate?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

NewMars posted:

What conditions cause Holy orders to form and crusades/jihads/great holy wars to activate?

I don't know all the conditions, but when I played the Byzantines in 867, I caused Jihads to activate as soon as I owned the Duchy of Jerusalem - which also caused the Bektashi (Sunni Holy Order) to form. The Orthodox Holy Order (Knights of the Sepulchure, I think?) formed once I'd converted the county of Jerusalem to the Orthodox faith.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

So, my empire has a lot of kingdoms, but they have gotten really mixed up. Every du jure kingdom is split among 3 different kings.

This is making my OCD go nuts, heh.

I know I can retract vassalage, and between the give and take I'd probably be ok, but the -10 to all other vassals is going to kill me.

Any good strategy for attacking this problem?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

crm posted:

So, my empire has a lot of kingdoms, but they have gotten really mixed up. Every du jure kingdom is split among 3 different kings.

I know I can retract vassalage, and between the give and take I'd probably be ok, but the -10 to all other vassals is going to kill me.

Lower CA and let them duke it out I guess. Otherwise yeah just take it slow and retract as many at a time as you can afford to without pissing anyone off too much.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

crm posted:

Retract every single title in the realm on the same day!

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Retract every single title in the realm on the same day!

Will I only take a single -10 or something?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

crm posted:

Will I only take a single -10 or something?

No, but if you replace all your vassals with new characters, they won't have any of the tyranny modifiers, and will in fact have the title grant modifiers instead.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Allyn posted:

Lower CA and let them duke it out I guess. Otherwise yeah just take it slow and retract as many at a time as you can afford to without pissing anyone off too much.

You mean let them king it out.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

No, but if you replace all your vassals with new characters, they won't have any of the tyranny modifiers, and will in fact have the title grant modifiers instead.

This sounds pretty exploity lol

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Just picked this up over the Steam holiday sale. Despite a medium amount of EU3 experience, I still just barely know what I'm doing, but the amount of detail in this game knocks my socks off.

Quickly found my way to King Konan II of Brittany, my own IRL ancestor. In our own history, Konan was unmarried, his only heir was a bastard, his main social connection was a sister who was married to one of his vassals. He died not long after 1066 when parties unknown poisoned his riding gloves. drat.

I decided the thing to do was get him a legit heir ASAP. A neighboring count had a 9 year old daughter, but rather than wait around and take my chances, I decided to wed a lowborn courtier tied to the same count. I figured I would take a huge prestige hit but be able to weather things out and in the long run would have a proper dynasty.

I married the lowborn Emma, half my age and smart as a whip, but of course haters gonna hate, and within a year of the wedding, at least three of my vassals had declared me a pretender to the throne and declared war on me. It turns out that Catholics being Catholic don't mean poo poo, not really.

King Konan and Queen Emma had a baby girl, a legit heir, just a few months before a siege brought the walls crumbling down.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Is the mod file title for the Kingdom of Israel "k_israel" or "# Israel"?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

crm posted:

This sounds pretty exploity lol

You loving think?

I think that the tyranny system would be handled a lot better if it was tied to a character trait for the ruler. It would have to scale like education, though, otherwise you'll replace the gaminess of "revoke everyone" with the gaminess of "in for a penny, in for a pound". You could spin a tyrant trait off into a bunch of other interesting gameplay possibilities, too.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Necroskowitz posted:

Is the mod file title for the Kingdom of Israel "k_israel" or "# Israel"?

What do you mean the mod file title? If you mean what is the code the in game uses, it's k_israel. # just means a comment the developer wanted to add. If you mean the actual file the game uses to get the title from, it should just be landed_titles.txt.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So I accidently expelled the Knight's Templar because my finger slipped (they really should have an 'are you sure?' prompt for some of these decisions. Why would you ever want to actually do this? Additionally, how do I welcome them back? I'm stuck with a 'expelled knight's templar' modifier several generations later, despite giving them some castles back. I can do all the usual stuff with them - loaning and donating money - but I can't seem to get rid of the irritating red cross.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

You loving think?

I think that the tyranny system would be handled a lot better if it was tied to a character trait for the ruler. It would have to scale like education, though, otherwise you'll replace the gaminess of "revoke everyone" with the gaminess of "in for a penny, in for a pound". You could spin a tyrant trait off into a bunch of other interesting gameplay possibilities, too.

Yeah, this is what the GoT mod does; it's one of the best ideas it had.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think something good would be tie the penalty into how much land they have. So revoking the county of someone guy with only that county is seen as super tyrannical and all your vassals would see it as evil. But revoking just one title from some upstart with 5 should piss them off less, sort of like the plot to revoke a county from powerful duke. Especially if you are giving it out to someone else in the realm.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 31, 2013

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Allyn posted:

What do you mean the mod file title? If you mean what is the code the in game uses, it's k_israel. # just means a comment the developer wanted to add. If you mean the actual file the game uses to get the title from, it should just be landed_titles.txt.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the help.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

DStecks posted:

You loving think?

ck2+ does this as well I think

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I like that no fewer than 3 people have come up with this idea independently, but not the devs, who would much rather spend time patching out edge cases in events that add flavour.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

DStecks posted:

I like that no fewer than 3 people have come up with this idea independently, but not the devs, who would much rather spend time patching out edge cases in events that add flavour.

Do you really just not like this game or something?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Raserys posted:

Do you really just not like this game or something?

No, I love it, that is the problem.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

That was fun. :toot:

Started as an independent republic in Syracuse in 867, lucked out and my first ruler had a ton of sons which allowed me to build 14 trade posts during the second/third generation of the republic which has made my family fantastically wealthy. A couple generations down the line, I manage to marry a talented kid from my dynasty off to a Byzantine princess, make him my designated heir, wait for my old geezer to die, and a quick claim war which may or may not have been hurried along by some assassins' blades later, I've got a Byzantine Republic. Now I'm working on replacing as many feudal vassals as I can with republican rulers.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 31, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NewMars posted:

I looked it up:

Catholic:
1. The year is 1090 and Jerusalem is not held by Christians.
2. Byzantine Empire is held by non-Christian OR Thrace or Ancyra owned by a non-Christian OR Athens and Corinth owned by non-Christian.
3. Rome held by non-Christian or heretic.
4. Provence, Toulouse, Paris, Cologne or Braunschweig held by non-Christian.

You get a different flavor text for each of the four triggers. Unlocking crusades also forms the holy orders after a short time.

Orthodox Christians never get crusades, but they can get their own holy order, the Brotherhood of the Sepulchre. They form when both Antioch and Jerusalem are held by an Orthodox character AND are converted to Orthodox Christianity.

Muslim:
1. The year is 1187 and there is a Caliph.
2. Jerusalem held by non-Muslim.
3. Mecca held by non-Muslim.
4. Baghdad, Damascus or Cairo held by non-Muslim.
5. Marrakesh, Tunis or Al Dzajir held by non-Muslim.

Again, different flavor texts, and jihads are unlocked for both Sunni and Shi'a Islam, although they cannot call a jihad as long as they have no Caliph. Jihads being active also forms the Bektashi Order (Sunni holy order).
The Hashashin (Shi'ite holy order) formation trigger is this: Year 1089 and the barony of Alamut has no holder.

Pagans: Both crusades and jihads must be unlocked AND the faith must be reformed. Reforming a pagan faith also unlocks the respective holy orders, with the exception of the Jormsvikings. The Jormsvikings can also form for unreformed Norse pagans, but the year must be 920 AND Stettin, Wolgast, Rügen or Werle must be held by a Norse pagan, AND there must be a free slot in the respective province where the Jormsvikings can build the Jomsborg. The event also has a very high mean time to happen, 620 months, so it can be a while even if you satisfy the conditions.

Jews and Zoroastrians: Available as soon as they have a religious head. Also forms their holy orders.

Only Catholics have more than one holy order.

Pakled posted:

That was fun. :toot:

Started as an independent republic in Syracuse in 867, lucked out and my first ruler had a ton of sons which allowed me to build 14 trade posts during the second/third generation of the republic which has made my family fantastically wealthy. A couple generations down the line, I manage to marry a talented kid from my dynasty off to a Byzantine princess, make him my designated heir, wait for my old geezer to die, and a quick claim war which may or may not have been hurried along by some assassins' blades later, I've got a Byzantine Republic. Now I'm working on replacing as many feudal vassals as I can with republican rulers.

Next step: A revived Roman Republic!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 31, 2013

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

DStecks posted:

Full-blown King tier theocracies can still happen? :woop:

(It would also be kinda neat if realm flags changed to reflect things like government style and ruling culture a la Victoria, but that probably wouldn't work with the way CKII handles flags. Oh well, chalk another one up for "CKIII Wish List".)

They can. In my latest Old Gods game (started as Lithuanians, reformed the Romuva faith, founded the Kingdom of Lithuania) what happened was that the Norse King of Denmark succeeded in a prepared invasion of East Francia, triggering crusades. The first crusade for East Francia is launched and the Catholics drive off the Norse from their lands. However, the first claimant to East Francia is a Cardinal, meaning that East Francia is now a Theocracy. Also, said Cardinal is also heir to the Papacy in spite of only being twenty or something, so if he outlives the Pope East Francia will become a Papal state.

I don't even care about the constant civil wars for the throne of Lithuania. It would of course be nice to get the throne back and found the Wendish Empire, but at this point I'm basically just rooting for the future Popeking of East Francia.

Edit: Quick question. If I were to make the heir to my throne a Grand Mayor (by giving them a city and then the county) and gave them a Duchy, would he become the head of a merchant republic? And to follow, when he inherits my Kingdom title upon succession, does the Kingdom also change to a Republic title to match his title? I'm pretty sure that this could work, but there might be some limitations on this that I'm not aware of.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 31, 2013

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is CK2+ still worth a game anymore, or should I be sticking to SWMH, PB & VIET?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Ratpick posted:

Edit: Quick question. If I were to make the heir to my throne a Grand Mayor (by giving them a city and then the county) and gave them a Duchy, would he become the head of a merchant republic? And to follow, when he inherits my Kingdom title upon succession, does the Kingdom also change to a Republic title to match his title? I'm pretty sure that this could work, but there might be some limitations on this that I'm not aware of.

He would become the head of a merchant republic, as long as that county is coastal.
I think he would be excluded from succession, but might still get a claim on the kingdom.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Ratpick posted:

They can. In my latest Old Gods game (started as Lithuanians, reformed the Romuva faith, founded the Kingdom of Lithuania) what happened was that the Norse King of Denmark succeeded in a prepared invasion of East Francia, triggering crusades. The first crusade for East Francia is launched and the Catholics drive off the Norse from their lands. However, the first claimant to East Francia is a Cardinal, meaning that East Francia is now a Theocracy. Also, said Cardinal is also heir to the Papacy in spite of only being twenty or something, so if he outlives the Pope East Francia will become a Papal state.

I don't even care about the constant civil wars for the throne of Lithuania. It would of course be nice to get the throne back and found the Wendish Empire, but at this point I'm basically just rooting for the future Popeking of East Francia.

Does this actually happen? I think when the Prince-Archbishop of Koln in my game became pope, he completely forswore all of his old holdings and just had the old pope's territory.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Nolanar posted:

Does this actually happen? I think when the Prince-Archbishop of Koln in my game became pope, he completely forswore all of his old holdings and just had the old pope's territory.

I think you might be right, but I've seen large swathes of land move over to the papacy on succession before. It might have something to do with whether or not the new Pope is independent or not. I'll see what happens.

At the very least, the new German Pope will have a claim on those lands, which he could press to turn those lands into Papal lands.

Edit: You're right, upon succession the Pope gives up all his lands, but he'll have a claim on all previously held religious titles, which he could press as normal. Not sure if this means that the Pope will retain a claim on all of East Francia, but at least he'll have a claim on all previously held Bishoprics.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 31, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ratpick posted:

I think you might be right, but I've seen large swathes of land move over to the papacy on succession before. It might have something to do with whether or not the new Pope is independent or not. I'll see what happens.

At the very least, the new German Pope will have a claim on those lands, which he could press to turn those lands into Papal lands.

Edit: You're right, upon succession the Pope gives up all his lands, but he'll have a claim on all previously held religious titles, which he could press as normal. Not sure if this means that the Pope will retain a claim on all of East Francia, but at least he'll have a claim on all previously held Bishoprics.

But the AI of religious lords is usually not very expansionistic. Although some faction could try to install him as the ruler of East Francia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In my current Scotland game, I peered south of Hadrian's wall one day after about 50 years of continuous civil war in England to find that the country was (very) briefly united under a King-Bishop. It was like a year of stability in the middle of 120 years of chaos.

Then the bishop died and civil war resumed. I'd never seen a king-level theocracy in game before that, especially not one of the AI's doing.

• Locked thread