Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Modgoons: is it okay to use the merge function for player.config in more than one mod? For example, if I need to use merge in player.config for mod Herp to add starter recipes, could I also do the same for mod Derp to add more recipes?

Yep. I think I have six mods right now that each have their own merge stanzas in player.config? Works a treat, that was the whole reasoning behind adding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep. I think I have six mods right now that each have their own merge stanzas in player.config? Works a treat, that was the whole reasoning behind adding it.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Been making homebrew mods to get friends into the game and prevent them from burning out on resource gathering/grinding. Now I can roll out easily craftable instruments and fun cosmetic items.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Rutkowski posted:

Worth mentioning is that a third player is having no issues at any server and a fourth who used to be able to play on Demos' server now also gets kicked there, I've been unable to get him to test if he suffer the same on my server.

(I'm the other goon, obviously)

EDIT:
130.243.175.163 is the server IP. Try to hang around doing stuff for ten to fifteen minutes and post the results if you want to help us out. :)

It's incredibly laggy, but I managed to play for well over ten minutes with no other issues.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Is there a standalone server client yet?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

TheSpookyDanger posted:

It's incredibly laggy, but I managed to play for well over ten minutes with no other issues.
Yeah well we're in Sweden and I'm hosting from the computer I'm using so... ;)

But thanks, good to know!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

serewit posted:

Is there a standalone server client yet?

There always has been, hasn't there?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Yes. Isn't that the ONLY way to host?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Just got this. Can't wait to see how it runs on Linux! :haw:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

karl fungus posted:

Just got this. Can't wait to see how it runs on Linux! :haw:

Runs just fine for me and my system is about 4 years old. I've had absolutely 0 problems.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Keep in mind that the Starbound server leaks memory. You should set up a cron job to restart the server every day or else you will be looking at problems. I was recently informed that my server was eating up 2 GB of RAM on my shell so I set up a simple job to run at 3am every morning:
code:
crontab -e
0 3 * * * sh /path/to/script/to/restart.sh

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Already, the outcry over mod packs is starting:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/on-mod-packs-compilations.58537/

once again reiterating that the worst part about this game is the community.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

As far as I know, all Airs have used 64 bit processors so I'm not sure it would even be a concern for you.

I have the original 11inch Macbook Air, which has a 32-bit Core 2 Duo

That's the only thing stopping me from buying the game, but if you guys think it will run, I'll give it a go. I have 4 gigs or ram so other than the actual bits I meet all the other requirements

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Verdugo posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/on-mod-packs-compilations.58537/

I get the impression that this is the case with most games. The modding "community" always struck me as petty and childish.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Holy crap, this guy.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Yo, my ship won't come out of warp

I click "go" and then the animations happen, and I even hear the "slowing down" sound effect, but the ship continues on, and won't stop.

I know alpha and all, but am I hosed here? I am playing on a multiplayer server fwiw.

Edit: I was able to get back down to a planet, but after I warped back up to my ship, it wasn't in orbit, and clicking the nav computer hard locks... :(

manero fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 31, 2013

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tres Burritos posted:

I get the impression that this is the case with most games. The modding "community" always struck me as petty and childish.

Modding seemed pretty chill back in the Half-Life days, it seemed to really get nasty with Oblivion from my point of view.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Starbound Forums posted:

excuse me, if noted delinquent BRAWW is found putting my mods in a mod pack i will file a lawsuit. we dont need HIS kind in this community,,

:catstare:

They're having modder infighting already?

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
One of these days, I'd love to see one of these pissant modders actually try filing a lawsuit.

I imagine the court transcript to be pure comedy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verdugo posted:

The official stance, as I see it, looks pretty reasonable.
You can put mods in a pack without permission, as long as you give credit. You only need permission if you actually go in and edit them. That seems agreeable.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
As long as someone says I did what I did I'm cool with it. Then again I'm super new to stuff like this and even people saying they like my stuff makes me happy. :3:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stacker of Wheat posted:

One of these days, I'd love to see one of these pissant modders actually try filing a lawsuit.

I imagine the court transcript to be pure comedy.

It wouldn't get to a courtroom.

Anyway anyone who unironically says "we don't need HIS kind" should just be ignored.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

You can put mods in a pack without permission, as long as you give credit. You only need permission if you actually go in and edit them. That seems agreeable.

No, it really isn't.

Agreeable is and always will be, Credit for use. All else, shove it up your goddamn neckbeard rear end.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Anyway anyone who unironically says "we don't need HIS kind" should just be ignored.

BRAWW is a mod on the forums. :v:

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

No, it really isn't.

Agreeable is and always will be, Credit for use. All else, shove it up your goddamn neckbeard rear end.

I think you just repeated Vib Rib.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dapper Man posted:

I think you just repeated Vib Rib.

Permission for modification of modifications is stupid. It's the biggest piece of bullshit aside adfly.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Agreed. The barrage of posts complaining that mod packs are badwrongfun is primarily what I was talking about.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

Permission for modification of modifications is stupid. It's the biggest piece of bullshit aside adfly.

Oh you were actually serious with that "shove it up your goddamn neckbeard rear end" thing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

StealthArcher posted:

It depends really, you wouldn't want someone passing off your work as their own.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Also if the modification makes it lovely for whatever reason, you don't want that reflecting back on the author. If you just made a mod for the mod, it'd be fine, but if you're directly changing the mod, you're passing off your own work as someone else's.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You should be able to make modmods that install OVER other mods though, as long as it doesn't contain any of the original mod you don't need permission. I kinda want to make something like that out of spite.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

reignonyourparade posted:

You should be able to make modmods that install OVER other mods though, as long as it doesn't contain any of the original mod you don't need permission. I kinda want to make something like that out of spite.

I remember this happening with Skyrim and goons and the Skyrim Nexus poo poo their pants over it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Given this is basically doing to their mod what they have already done to the game, basically yes. Problem is, at the moment, there's no good way to addon or modify a mod without, well, doing exactly that.

Shoehead posted:

I remember this happening with Skyrim and goons and the Skyrim Nexus poo poo their pants over it.
Outside of some obvious cases (malware rules), if Nexus hates it that's a good sign it's an action that should be lauded. gently caress Nexus.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
It was because the owner of a really good mod for skyrim went crazy in the later versions of it and started putting in his own weird badly-modeled objects in towns that looked like complete rear end. When people requested he remove them, he got angry. When someone made a mod to remove them, he threatened legal action and compared it to "defacing the mona lisa".

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

StealthArcher posted:

Given this is basically doing to their mod what they have already done to the game, basically yes.gently caress Nexus.
But Tiy has given open permission for everyone who bought the game to mod it. It was one of the game's selling points. He was huge on this throughout development. So his permission is already included.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

I think this is already somewhat possible through the usage of the dependencies field in the modinfo file. I don't know if it's possible to override instead of add lines through the use of the merge function, but if not as long as you can get the game to use your mod's files instead of the original mod's files it should work. I've only had conflicting mods once (before the merge function was added and I accidentally loaded two mods with player.config files), but if I recall it used the mod that came last alphabetically (so basically the last one it loaded). So if that's true then making a mod for a mod would be as simple as
  1. Using the dependencies field to make sure your mod doesn't load without the original being present
  2. Making sure your mod comes after the original alphabetically so that the game uses the modded files instead
This is all in theory mind you, I don't know if it would actually work but it should unless there's some fuckery with how the game loads multiple files of the same name. Someone else will have to test it though because :effort:.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Holy poo poo this game is amazing. :stare:

So I've been exploring the local system and farming trees to turn into coal for starship fuel, but I'm not really sure how to feed myself. There's hunting, but I really want to get into farming. How can I best make use of my potato seeds? Like, how long am I supposed to wait?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Potatoes take a long time to grow, I think. Some crops do. Best to stick with crops that grow really quickly. I can't remember them off the top of my head but wheat, rice, and boneboo are all very quick growers.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

karl fungus posted:

Holy poo poo this game is amazing. :stare:

So I've been exploring the local system and farming trees to turn into coal for starship fuel, but I'm not really sure how to feed myself. There's hunting, but I really want to get into farming. How can I best make use of my potato seeds? Like, how long am I supposed to wait?

Make a stone hoe at your crafting table, use it on dirt so you are allowed to plant seeds. Press E/Middle mouse/Whatever you have set to use to pick grown food.

Wait time may be several in game days planetside to 10 minutes on blocks of dirt placed inside your ship. I've had the new TREES grow faster planetside than food has or still does for me :saddowns: I too want to be a nice legit farmer, but plant growth still seems very finicky.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'll do whatever I want to whatever mods I want, and not give a gently caress what anyone thinks cos I don't wanna get ~mod famous~ at all, it's a pretty good policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Boneboo grows super fast and makes the amazing Meat n Marrow when cooked with meat chunks. Suddenly you're both fed and need no other healing items.

• Locked thread