Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

zVxTeflon posted:

I refuse to acknowledge a battle of endor list that doesnt have lando and wedge

I tried telling her that, but she prefers Han Solo. If I played Rebels more I'd use Lando because I think it's a better support ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lando works best in high point games with more ships as theres usually someone within range 1 of him at all times. So this would be an ideal situation for Lando

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
I just recently got into this game as a wargame newbie. I noticed the A-Wing at Barnes and Noble and had to buy it. Even though it was $15, it was the smallest, most detailed A-Wing model I've ever seen. And with my brother coming for Christmas I decided to go whole hog and buy the starter set and a TIE interceptor. We just played our first real skirmish last night, and had a blast. It was pretty fun to maneuver strategically and try to anticipate your opponents moves. We played 60 points which was enough for the ships and select upgrades. I had two TIEs and an interceptor and he had an X and the A-wing. Overall the game was really balanced and after playing for about an hour, he had knocked out my interceptor and I had killed his X-wing. We ended in a draw since it was like 3am but I know I'll want to play again. If anyone is thinking of getting this game, don't hesitate, it's awesome.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Otterspace posted:

I just recently got into this game as a wargame newbie. I noticed the A-Wing at Barnes and Noble and had to buy it. Even though it was $15, it was the smallest, most detailed A-Wing model I've ever seen. And with my brother coming for Christmas I decided to go whole hog and buy the starter set and a TIE interceptor. We just played our first real skirmish last night, and had a blast. It was pretty fun to maneuver strategically and try to anticipate your opponents moves. We played 60 points which was enough for the ships and select upgrades. I had two TIEs and an interceptor and he had an X and the A-wing. Overall the game was really balanced and after playing for about an hour, he had knocked out my interceptor and I had killed his X-wing. We ended in a draw since it was like 3am but I know I'll want to play again. If anyone is thinking of getting this game, don't hesitate, it's awesome.

Lots of reputable sites like https://www.miniaturemarket.com have the ships for much less, so the steep price and B&N's questionable support can be negated.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
Yeah no kidding about the questionable support, I asked the clerk when I checked out if he knew what a stress token was, and he had no idea what I was talking about! It was an impulse buy and I wanted it to take home.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Why would you expect a Barnes and Noble clerk to know anything about the game anyway? They're primarily a bookstore and all their games and other merchandise is secondary at best.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jivjov posted:

Why would you expect a Barnes and Noble clerk to know anything about the game anyway? They're primarily a bookstore and all their games and other merchandise is secondary at best.

:thejoke:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I just picked this up as a Christmas present for myself, along with 2 Tie Interceptors, a Tie Bomber, a B-wing and an A-wing (which is what the FLGS had, in addition to a HWK light freighter, Firespray and Lambda Shuttle - I figured I'd start with regular 'small' ships and upgrade to bigger ones later). I'm going to build both sides about evenly on account of being the first in my group of friends to actually have the game - apparently it's fairly popular at the gamestore but it's nice to have options. What would you recommend as the next things to get? I was thinking of ordering in a third Tie Fighter, a tie Advanced, a second X-wing and an Y-wing - got to get 'em all, you know.. Oh, and one of those little dice sets. Never too many dice.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Drake_263 posted:

I just picked this up as a Christmas present for myself, along with 2 Tie Interceptors, a Tie Bomber, a B-wing and an A-wing (which is what the FLGS had, in addition to a HWK light freighter, Firespray and Lambda Shuttle - I figured I'd start with regular 'small' ships and upgrade to bigger ones later). I'm going to build both sides about evenly on account of being the first in my group of friends to actually have the game - apparently it's fairly popular at the gamestore but it's nice to have options. What would you recommend as the next things to get? I was thinking of ordering in a third Tie Fighter, a tie Advanced, a second X-wing and an Y-wing - got to get 'em all, you know.. Oh, and one of those little dice sets. Never too many dice.

May as well just get another core set. The extra tokens, dice, templates, and 2 TIEs + X-Wing are a steal. I would then suggest getting the Falcon and Firespray. The Falcon is a really fun ship that changes the game a lot. TIE / X-Wing expansion pack are really good for pilots if you can't borrow their cards.

HWK-290 is a great support ship. Lambda is hard to fly for newbies.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That's true enough, and I can get a second starter set plus an extra ship for about the same price as the four individual ships plus the dice and templates. Do the expansions have any particular must-have gear cards?

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 24, 2013

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Drake_263 posted:

That's true enough, and I can get a second starter set plus an extra ship for about the same price as the four individual ships plus the dice and templates. Do the expansions have any particular must-have gear cards?

X-Wing expansion as Wedge, and TIE has Howlrunner, both of which are AMAZING.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Werp, looks like I might end up with a wing of 5 standard TIEs...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Firespray has a lot of good upgrade cards
Gunner
Stealth x 2
heavy laser cannon

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You'll probably want a Lambda at some point...it has an Advanced Sensors card that is really useful for other ships.

Speaking of the Lambda; I'm really sad they didn't take the opportunity to include a Rebel-faction Tyderium title card.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

Speaking of the Lambda; I'm really sad they didn't take the opportunity to include a Rebel-faction Tyderium title card.

What a missed opportunity :(

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

jivjov posted:

You'll probably want a Lambda at some point...it has an Advanced Sensors card that is really useful for other ships.

Advanced Sensors is GREAT, but since the only other ship that can take it is the B-Wing, don't get a Lamba until you get one of those. And even then, if you aren't playing tournaments, just proxy the card.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I didn't like the Shuttle at first, but I've still been using it more than the Firespray-31. I do find it hard to use the larger Imperial ships because the Rebels usually are packing X-Wings or B-Wings.

nuggets
May 14, 2003
Tie Bombers for $7.25 at Miniature Market today.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgswx15.html

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

nuggets posted:

Tie Bombers for $7.25 at Miniature Market today.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgswx15.html

Thanks for this. I grabbed 2 in case the deal expires and some goon wants one,

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I just had my younger brother over and actually tried the game for the first time - just a basic training mission, X-wing versus an Academy Tie and a Black Tie, a couple of asteroids for variety, no upgrades. He chose Imperials. In the first mission I misjudged the length of the 4-template and managed to fly out-of-bounds while going for a handbrake turn, in the second I winged the Black Tie before getting overwhelmed. Little bastards are a lot more agile than I thought, using barrel rolls to slip in and out of firing solutions.

I do like how the rules of the game are easy to pick up, though, each round lasted like twenty minutes and by then we had a good handle on the basics. Really enjoyed it so far, well worth the effort :)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

I just had my younger brother over and actually tried the game for the first time - just a basic training mission, X-wing versus an Academy Tie and a Black Tie, a couple of asteroids for variety, no upgrades. He chose Imperials. In the first mission I misjudged the length of the 4-template and managed to fly out-of-bounds while going for a handbrake turn, in the second I winged the Black Tie before getting overwhelmed. Little bastards are a lot more agile than I thought, using barrel rolls to slip in and out of firing solutions.

I do like how the rules of the game are easy to pick up, though, each round lasted like twenty minutes and by then we had a good handle on the basics. Really enjoyed it so far, well worth the effort :)

That is really good to hear.

TIE Fighters definitely aren't to be underestimated, the barrel roll ability is invaluable to the survival of the TIE's and I barrel roll with mine when I am able. When attacking, go for the Academy TIE when possible, as the PS1 pilot is almost guaranteed to move first will be unable to move out of your potential firing arc unless your opponent is amazing. Also remember that attack die are better than defense die, so if you can keep blapping away at any range he will eventually roll enough blanks. I've even had 4 blank defense die out at range 3 after a Y-Wing tried a long range primary attack. I was dealt a direct hit critical and a regular damage, so ship destroyed :negative:.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Leo Showers posted:

That is really good to hear.

TIE Fighters definitely aren't to be underestimated, the barrel roll ability is invaluable to the survival of the TIE's and I barrel roll with mine when I am able. When attacking, go for the Academy TIE when possible, as the PS1 pilot is almost guaranteed to move first will be unable to move out of your potential firing arc unless your opponent is amazing. Also remember that attack die are better than defense die, so if you can keep blapping away at any range he will eventually roll enough blanks. I've even had 4 blank defense die out at range 3 after a Y-Wing tried a long range primary attack. I was dealt a direct hit critical and a regular damage, so ship destroyed :negative:.

I just need to learn to imagine the travel arc of my ship - in the first match I managed to pretty much hit every single drat asteroid on the way so I didn't get a chance for actions, before accidentally handbrake-turning myself out of the map. Almost got the Obsidian Squadron Tie out of the sky on my opening salvo in the second round though, target-locked him and splatted a full salvo in - three hits, only his evade token saved him. Going to get interesting when we have a little bit more time - I've got a B-wing and an A-wing I'm itching to try out!

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 25, 2013

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

I just need to learn to imagine the travel arc of my ship - in the first match I managed to pretty much hit every single drat asteroid on the way so I didn't get a chance for actions, before accidentally handbrake-turning myself out of the map. Almost got the Obsidian Squadron Tie out of the sky on my opening salvo in the second round though, target-locked him and splatted a full salvo in - three hits, only his evade token saved him. Going to get interesting when we have a little bit more time - I've got a B-wing and an A-wing I'm itching to try out!

I'd recommend using the Green SQ. Pilot with Push the Limit for the A-Wing, it's really only equalled by the Saber SQ. Pilot with PtL for maneuverability and flexibility. Don't be scared to use the double action because the A-Wing has enough green maneuvers to be able to clear the stress. B-Wings are pretty nasty too, especially with the 2 speed K-turn.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Leo Showers posted:

I'd recommend using the Green SQ. Pilot with Push the Limit for the A-Wing, it's really only equalled by the Saber SQ. Pilot with PtL for maneuverability and flexibility. Don't be scared to use the double action because the A-Wing has enough green maneuvers to be able to clear the stress. B-Wings are pretty nasty too, especially with the 2 speed K-turn.

I'm just going to have to try and resist the urge to go nuts with the secondary weapons, I've got a bunch of different missiles that look all sorts of mean (Cluster Missiles, Assault Missiles, Seeking Missiles and Concussion Missiles) along with enough proton torpedoes to arm a third world country with. And yes, being able to, say, pull an evasive maneuver or boost while pulling up a target lock. Is it just me or is Tycho Celchu damned mean, what with being able to execute actions even with stress tokens?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

I'm just going to have to try and resist the urge to go nuts with the secondary weapons, I've got a bunch of different missiles that look all sorts of mean (Cluster Missiles, Assault Missiles, Seeking Missiles and Concussion Missiles) along with enough proton torpedoes to arm a third world country with. And yes, being able to, say, pull an evasive maneuver or boost while pulling up a target lock. Is it just me or is Tycho Celchu damned mean, what with being able to execute actions even with stress tokens?

Tycho is really good, especially paired with PtL. The only issues I have with him is that while you may be able to execute actions, you will not be able to execute red manuevers. Also it's a fair investments in points which can be hamstrung by a an unlucky dice roll, but that could be said for most TIEs. Some will dimiss him, but I am actually a fan of Arvel Crynyd. You can just run him into whatever and still get shots off.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

One of my regular gaming buddies finally took the plunge and got the starter set for Christmas, finally I don't have to keep buying ships for both factions and can concentrate on imperials, yay :dance:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

jivjov posted:

alg posted:

What a missed opportunity :(

A Tyderium title card would have been cool, but I'm more disappointed we didn't get an Emon Azzameen pilot card and/or an Andrasta title for the Firespray.

Edit: "Not today, bootlicker!"

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Order processing at CSI:

1x Core Set (2nd Set)
2x B-Wing
1x X-Wing
1x TIE Fighter
1x HCD Space Battlemat (3x3 Playmat with awesome space art!)

...as well as a cheap rear end 3rd *Netrunner* core set for 13 bucks!

Alg, I'm in for the long haul. Now... to proxy cards...

Carteret fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 27, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Carteret posted:

Order processing at CSI:

1x Core Set (2nd Set)
2x B-Wing
1x X-Wing
1x TIE Fighter
1x HCD Space Battlemat (3x3 Playmat with awesome space art!)

...as well as a cheap rear end 3rd core set for 13 bucks!

Alg, I'm in for the long haul. Now... to proxy cards...

:getin:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Carteret posted:

...as well as a cheap rear end 3rd *Netrunner* core set for 13 bucks!

Ah crap I missed that deal its $27 now

whorfin
Dec 6, 2007
So this is really area specific, but, Target stores in Austin have FINALLY caught up to the rest of the country and clearance priced the core set to $20. The Cedar Park location had about half a dozen as of this afternoon.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885
Ugh stupid Canadian pricing - local gaming store that I actually like (Dueling Grounds in Toronto) has all the expansion ships for $16.95, the starter kit for $44.95 and larger ships for $34, despite the dollar almost being at parity. Hate how we get screwed like this - ordering online ends up being only slightly cheaper with shipping, too.

Luckily they had a 20% off sale this week so I got my friend the starter set, slave 1, interceptor and advanced for $100 after tax.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Amish Retard posted:

Ugh stupid Canadian pricing - local gaming store that I actually like (Dueling Grounds in Toronto) has all the expansion ships for $16.95, the starter kit for $44.95 and larger ships for $34, despite the dollar almost being at parity. Hate how we get screwed like this - ordering online ends up being only slightly cheaper with shipping, too.

Luckily they had a 20% off sale this week so I got my friend the starter set, slave 1, interceptor and advanced for $100 after tax.

Meeplemart or 401 Games have competitive prices to the US. Small ships are $11.95, Large Ships are $22.95 (Slave ones are 19 at 401), and cores are $31.95.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Just picked this up last night (ok actually it was bought over a week ago as an Xmas present for my brother but I have been staring at it too long and ripped it open for myself) and holy poo poo is it fun. My friend who hates all miniatures even liked it.

Question: I know they are releasing non faction ships such as the Slave 1. Does this mean a 3 (or more) person FFA is possible?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Mindisgone posted:

Question: I know they are releasing non faction ships such as the Slave 1. Does this mean a 3 (or more) person FFA is possible?

Slave 1 was already released as an Imperial ship.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a recommendation for a new and bigger Plano case to upgrade to? I have the red 5231 that everyone recommended in the early days of the game (I think on Amazon it's still listed in the "other people bought this item as well" section with the X-Wing core set) but I've just about outgrown it now, especially since I've started sleeving my game cards. Ideally I'd like to house everything including the large ships in one case, but I can live with the Falcon/Firespray/Lambda being left out.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Plano 3952 Its basically two of the red ones attached to each other.

Mines got
4 xwings
2 ywings
3 bwings
2 awings
7 ties
3 interceptors
1 t-advance
2 bombers
1 Hwk
1 falcon
1 firespray
1 lambda
all the cards, dials, bases, ship tokens, 2 sets of movement templates, extra crap and still has room to spare.

this'll give you an idea of how much it can hold
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1041457/the-40th-storage-solution-hello-wave-3

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 31, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm gonna have to upgrade too. I've just gotten a couple more TIE Bombers from that last Miniature Market deal and now I'm out of space completely. Even without bringing in the Lambda.

Which sucks because I just managed to get everything organized into the current case last weekend.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

jivjov posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a new and bigger Plano case to upgrade to? I have the red 5231 that everyone recommended in the early days of the game (I think on Amazon it's still listed in the "other people bought this item as well" section with the X-Wing core set) but I've just about outgrown it now, especially since I've started sleeving my game cards. Ideally I'd like to house everything including the large ships in one case, but I can live with the Falcon/Firespray/Lambda being left out.

I ended up ditching my Plano sets and went with this. I have all the tokens, dials bases, rulers and cards in the top then I got pluck foam and filled the bottom with it for the models.

It has tons of room still with 7 Ties, 4 Xwing, 3 Bwings, 1 Shuttle, a set of 3D asteroids and 2 of everything else. It should last for 2-3 more expansions hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

:tviv:

• Locked thread