Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaelitz
Jan 30, 2009
So my contract with Rogers is finally up this month (subscribed Dec. 31st, 2010), and I cannot jump ship fast enough. I haven't left the greater Toronto area, specifically downtown, essentially since late 2012 when I arrived for school. And lo and behold, Wind has ads up for a plan for $39/mo for the usual stuff, but also Canada-wide calling, voicemail, and global text. Suffice to say, I'm thinking this is the best plan for axing my monthly rates on my phone with Rogers.

Thing is, I've never jumped carriers, and I know that Rogers in particular has a bad habit of charging people outside of contracts and even after you explicitly cancel services with them.
Does anyone have any tips or things I should do or know going into wanting my services ended with them? Is it an option to receive cancellation notice in writing?

And as a last question, I guess, Rogers bills a month in advance. My last bill date was Monday (16th), and it automatically authorized to my credit card. Seeing as I got my contract on the 31st initially, and I want to cancel it effective then since it wouldn't be breach of contract, is it at all possible to recover that ~15 days' time that I won't use, or is that money essentially lost to their proactive billing cycles?

Please forgive me if this has been covered in depth already; I wasn't sure where to look throughout the thread for this kind of info, and the OP doesn't cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Kaelitz posted:

So my contract with Rogers is finally up this month (subscribed Dec. 31st, 2010), and I cannot jump ship fast enough. I haven't left the greater Toronto area, specifically downtown, essentially since late 2012 when I arrived for school. And lo and behold, Wind has ads up for a plan for $39/mo for the usual stuff, but also Canada-wide calling, voicemail, and global text. Suffice to say, I'm thinking this is the best plan for axing my monthly rates on my phone with Rogers.

Thing is, I've never jumped carriers, and I know that Rogers in particular has a bad habit of charging people outside of contracts and even after you explicitly cancel services with them.
Does anyone have any tips or things I should do or know going into wanting my services ended with them? Is it an option to receive cancellation notice in writing?

And as a last question, I guess, Rogers bills a month in advance. My last bill date was Monday (16th), and it automatically authorized to my credit card. Seeing as I got my contract on the 31st initially, and I want to cancel it effective then since it wouldn't be breach of contract, is it at all possible to recover that ~15 days' time that I won't use, or is that money essentially lost to their proactive billing cycles?

Please forgive me if this has been covered in depth already; I wasn't sure where to look throughout the thread for this kind of info, and the OP doesn't cover it.

If you wait for your contract to fully expire, that should automatically place you on the new wireless code of conduct rules which allow for same day cancellations, so you should be alright.

EDIT: Also, if you want WIND to take your phone number, they will handle the cancellation with Rogers. You won't need to do anything with them if you want to keep the same phone number.

Kaelitz
Jan 30, 2009

OilSlick posted:

If you wait for your contract to fully expire, that should automatically place you on the new wireless code of conduct rules which allow for same day cancellations, so you should be alright.

EDIT: Also, if you want WIND to take your phone number, they will handle the cancellation with Rogers. You won't need to do anything with them if you want to keep the same phone number.

My concern with waiting is that this promo with WIND expires on Christmas Eve. Furthermore, since the payments for bills are a month in advance, and my bill date just ticked over, that should mean that Rogers has received payment for all 3 years of my contract, as required, shouldn't it? I can probably call Rogers and ask directly if I've paid my 3 years' worth.
I'll see about talking with a WIND representative in person in the meantime. I definitely want to keep the number.

I'm probably being overly cautious with everything. There have just been too many horror stories with Rogers from people I've networked with that would leave me to believe that a clean break is the only result.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Is there any place other than Telus/Koodo to get the Moto G in Canada?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Kaelitz posted:

My concern with waiting is that this promo with WIND expires on Christmas Eve. Furthermore, since the payments for bills are a month in advance, and my bill date just ticked over, that should mean that Rogers has received payment for all 3 years of my contract, as required, shouldn't it? I can probably call Rogers and ask directly if I've paid my 3 years' worth.
I'll see about talking with a WIND representative in person in the meantime. I definitely want to keep the number.

I'm probably being overly cautious with everything. There have just been too many horror stories with Rogers from people I've networked with that would leave me to believe that a clean break is the only result.

Your contract and your bill cycle date are two different things. If you were to port your number on Christmas Eve and your actual contract end date is December 31, then you will get hit with a $100 termination charge, I'm sorry to say. You signed a contract that ends on a specific date, your bills have nothing to do with that. I doubt you will find much sympathy from them.

If it helps, there's a good chance that WIND may extend their deal. Carriers often extend Christmas deals into the post-holiday season.

Wattobot
May 23, 2011
As of right now, I'm running month to month with Telus. My contract ended October 5th, and I've been with Telus since 2005. I have a September launch iPhone 4 that is on it's last legs (lock button not working, crashing constantly, etc), and I'm wanting to get an iPhone 5s. I transit roughly 2 hours a day total in the metro Vancouver area, and consistently go over my 1gb data plan.

I want a new phone, and a plan with 2gb of data a month. Anything else I would need from my plan automatically comes with every plan I've seen, so that's not super relevant. So far, after looking around and calling Telus loyalty, this is the best deal I've been offered:

- $70 a month for 1gb of data, plus all the unlimited canadawide/texting and voicemail stuff.

I told the rep that lower than 2gb of data was a deal-breaker. He didn't budge on it, but instead hooked me up with a new month to month plan of $65/ month for 2gb of data and everything else I already have. I accepted because, well, why not? Although now I'm mildly worried this might hurt my chances of another good deal. I spoke to a Best Buy rep and a third party Telus store rep in person, and they both told me nobody is going lower than $70 a month on plans. I'd love $70 a month, but talking to the loyalty rep didn't get me very far.

Should I keep trying Telus Loyalty until someone gets me a $70/m 2gb data plan? Or am I dreaming?

Also, Best Buy's $99 for a 16gb iPhone is tough to beat, but should I hold out until Boxing Day/Week) to see if anything is offered on the 32gb? I'd love some advice that doesn't come from people trying to sell me things.

UPDATE: I called Loyalty again today and told them Bell offered me $70 a month for 2gb of data plus everything else, and could they match, since I'm such a long standing customer and I would much rather stay with them. It was a complete lie, but the Loyalty agent gave me 3gb of data, unlimited nationwide, unlimited text etc, call ID, visual voicemail, and 200 minutes before 6pm/unlimited after for $70. I never talk on the phone so this deal is perfect.

Wattobot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 20, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
iPhone 5S is compatible with WIND. Buy one and get their $30 unlimited voice/data plan. Great if you only leave the GVRD/Fraser Valley on seldom occasions. They cover out to Abbotsford now.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok, so my contract is finally up with Fido, and I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5s from my 4

Am I able to keep my 6gig data plan, or are they going to try and take it away from me when I renew my contract?

Assuming they do try to take it away from me and offer me less, let's say I just purchased an iPhone and kept my current deal on a month-to-month basis, would I automatically get LTE or will I be stuck with 3G?

I want to proceed with caution before calling them

Duro fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 21, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Duro posted:

Ok, so my contract is finally up with Fido, and I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5s from my 4

Am I able to keep my 6gig data plan, or are they going to try and take it away from me when I renew my contract?

Assuming they do try to take it away from me and offer me less, let's say I just purchased an iPhone and kept my current contract, would I automatically get LTE or will I be stuck with 3G?

I want to proceed with caution before calling them

AFAIK 3G vs LTE is just based on your sim card.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zarkov Cortez posted:

AFAIK 3G vs LTE is just based on your sim card.

So I would need a new sim card to get LTE essentially? Does the 5s have a smaller sim than the 4 (meaning I'd have to change it regardless)?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Duro posted:

So I would need a new sim card to get LTE essentially? Does the 5s have a smaller sim than the 4 (meaning I'd have to change it regardless)?

Yeah, the 5(S) uses a smaller SIM, so you'll be getting a new one anyway. They most likely won't let you buy an iPhone subsidized without signing you on to one of the "in market" plans.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Duro posted:

You aren't going to be able to keep that 6GB plan if you renew your contract for a device on subsidy. 3 year terms are gone now and they'll stick you with a more expensive, less data 2 year plan. Unless you live in SK or MB, big data plans are a bitch to get for less than $100.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm currently paying $84 per month for 6GB and all the normal frills on Rogers. But that took a lot of effort.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Really? Ouch.

$56 for 6gb on Rogers for me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

Really? Ouch.

After tax and including voice/call display etc?

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Really? Ouch.

Have you just renewed recently? If so, did it take some wheeling and dealing? I got sick deal on my last contract, but it was easy to get because they hosed up big time prior to signing it so I had a lot of leverage. Now, I dunno what to do but I hope it somehow works out

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a modified corporate plan. It's for employees of our town, and family. I'm just the latter, so I don't know a whole lot about the details.

It does include call display and voicemail, and it's actually tax free. Rogers' website says it's about $77 before discounts and tax, so I guess we're getting a $20 monthly discount plus the tax off. I never actually looked at that before, I figured I was getting $5 off or $10 at best.

It also came with an $600 credit but that was a screw-up on Rogers' part. They were supposed to reimburse the cost of the phone after subsidy. Instead they gave me the entire value of the phone. I didn't pay a bill for a year.

The trade-off is Rogers service at my house blows.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It's a modified corporate plan. It's for employees of our town, and family. I'm just the latter, so I don't know a whole lot about the details.

It's worth noting that corporate plans are exempt from the new CRTC laws and three year contracts are still available for them, so those who have plans from the 3 year contract days can renew on a 3 year term and keep them. Better yet, many corporate plans that I've seen have two year versions of them, and with handset pricing on a 2 year term largely the same as they were with 3 year terms, it means corporate clients can renew their term for two years, keep the same plan (since they didn't bother getting rid of them like the consumer ones) and still pay the minimum price possible to get a phone.

In other words, it will be difficult for a regular consumer to get a plan like Aphrodite.

Puddles
Nov 25, 2005
HAI ^^
So my Girlfriend's plan with Telus has been up for a while, and shes happy with the plan, the issue is that her phone just died and I'm letting her use my old captivate.

She wants to get a Nexus 5, and I'm suggesting she just buys it outright from google, and gets a sim card from telus and then continue on her current plan - however she also wants to migrate the plan from her mothers account into a new account under her own name.

So one - to confirm - if she was to buy a Nexus 5 from Google, and take it to Telus, then all she would need is a new sim card, and then she could carry on with her current plan
and two - if she were to migrate her account would she be required to sign on a new 2 year contract?

We were told by an in store rep that if she was to use her HUP she would have to resign on a 2 year plan so thats kind of out of the picture as she would like to carry on month to month on her old one.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

It does include call display and voicemail, and it's actually tax free. Rogers' website says it's about $77 before discounts and tax, so I guess we're getting a $20 monthly discount plus the tax off. I never actually looked at that before, I figured I was getting $5 off or $10 at best.

It also came with an $600 credit but that was a screw-up on Rogers' part. They were supposed to reimburse the cost of the phone after subsidy. Instead they gave me the entire value of the phone. I didn't pay a bill for a year.

The trade-off is Rogers service at my house blows.

That makes more sense. Mine is $75 before tax.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Puddles posted:

So one - to confirm - if she was to buy a Nexus 5 from Google, and take it to Telus, then all she would need is a new sim card, and then she could carry on with her current plan
and two - if she were to migrate her account would she be required to sign on a new 2 year contract?

We were told by an in store rep that if she was to use her HUP she would have to resign on a 2 year plan so thats kind of out of the picture as she would like to carry on month to month on her old one.

One - Yes, she would just need a new SIM card and she's good to go

Two - No, transferring her plan into her own name will not require a contract renewal- but it may require a rate plan change. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. That said, if they do, carriers often offer discounts on in-market plans that are month to month, so Rogers (or a different carrier) may have something that works just as well if she has to change it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

leidend posted:

That makes more sense. Mine is $75 before tax.

That looks to be roughly what I have, except I have no My10.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

You know I have nothing better to do today, because I updated the OP! Now with 50% more BBcode!

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I'm visiting the GTA over the holiday and would like cell and more importantly data for just the short term. The Wind $2 unlimited day pass seems the best option, but I was interested in knowing if there were better alternatives.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I recently got a nexus 5 and I'm looking for a cheap pay as you go or prepaid plan with caller ID and a small amount of data. I generally use a small amount of voice and sub 200 texts per month and maybe 1gig of data. Would wind be cheaper or an payg alternative? I live in London BTW.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cute n Popular posted:

I recently got a nexus 5 and I'm looking for a cheap pay as you go or prepaid plan with caller ID and a small amount of data. I generally use a small amount of voice and sub 200 texts per month and maybe 1gig of data. Would wind be cheaper or an payg alternative? I live in London BTW.

Koodo prepaid.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
consider Virgin's $30 silver plan with pay-per-use data, which still has a reasonable amount of data. (up to 3GB). (I realize it's not prepaid, but it's cheaper than koodo's)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah you're going to pay a premium if you want to have it as prepaid. And if you go postpaid, Koodo is a better deal than Virgin.

(Now that I'm not replying from a phone I can type a bit more.)

Koodo Prepaid 50m + E/W + 1GB data would be $50.

Koodo Postpaid 1000m + E/W + 1GB = $50

TELUS Postpaid unlimited voice + 1GB = $55

Virgin Postpaid 200m + E/W + 1GB = $50

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 10, 2014

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Sassafras posted:

Which plan is this? Got a line currently under contract for another year on a slightly worse plan, wouldn't mind playing retentions chicken to get this (assuming it includes Canadian LD).

It does, but this looks like a plan that they give you for having no contract. It would regularly cost $75 but a $20 discount for having no contract/device subsidy makes it $55. Other carriers have the same thing.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I'm seriously considering going back to WIND now that I have a 5S. Any anecdotes about service in Burnaby? I'm frightened to leave Virgin because I have a pretty good plan that I won't be able to get back.

e: also of note on the plans above, if you only use 300MB of data on the Virgin plan, you save a whole 5 of your earth dollars! 10 if you can keep it under 100MB.

2e: Yeah, Wind's network is somehow worse than when it launched, and I get no service indoors whatsoever. So let my $60 be a warning to you. Don't loving bother with these jokers. I get to port back to virgin tomorrow.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 30, 2013

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I'm currently married to Telus right now for a number of reasons. I'd really like a Moto X, though, and all I can get from Telus is a Moto G. What do you figure is the best way to get a Moto X on Telus? Can I just straight-up buy an unlocked one from Rogers? Should I plan a shopping daytrip down south and pick one up in the States somewhere?

Alternatively, is there a good reason why I shouldn't just settle for a Moto G?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If there's one thing I have learned over the past three years of dealing with technology and the industry (I am acutely aware of this right now) it's this: don't settle.

I have put up with garbage crap made from plastic that I bought because it's cheap but I am always magnitudes happier with the quality stuff I buy. I don't want to turn this into a platform warrior lame fest, so I'll just say get t moto x at whatever cost if you think it's right. Don't settle for cheap garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new wireless code requires the carrier to unlock the phone on your request if you buy it outright.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Aphrodite posted:

The new wireless code requires the carrier to unlock the phone on your request if you buy it outright.

I don't think that is true.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm

Based on that site, it says if you buy a device outright, the carrier has to let you unlock it at your request, at the rate (fee) they (the carrier) specify.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, at least that's only $50 with Rogers.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
$50 is still a huge scam and is 100% free money for Rogers. If you buy it outright it shouldn't even be locked.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
Let's say it turns out to be cheaper to get one from the States. Do I need to get one from a specific carrier in order for it to work with Telus?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Portfolio posted:

Let's say it turns out to be cheaper to get one from the States. Do I need to get one from a specific carrier in order for it to work with Telus?

AT&T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Plenty of phones use multiple carriers' frequencies and can be unlocked. Just do the research for the particular phone you want. Telus uses 850/1900 band, 2100 for LTE.