Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Why would a grown adult be playing Smash Brothers. It's mechanics are about as deep as a children's play pool.

Didn't a bunch of greasy Smash nerds force some 8 year old to give up his grand prize of a tournament because he "cheated" by using items even though it was in the rules?

Because its fun + gently caress the smash "community". You could always play DOTA, a game for real adult humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So you're saying, in complete honesty, you'd much rather play four player Smash with everyone holding a 3DS in a room over four player Smash on a TV and a console?

Considering that you need the hardware for 4 people and it is a system that not very many people have, im not sure. But I think the point he is making is that in this day in age, it is easily much more convenient to simply play it online.

I have my own place and have no wife or kids, and it is still pretty hard to organize that kind of stuff. I don't have the controllers and buying some for very rare occasions is a waste, people have busy schedules that makes organizing these things a mess, and usually when I can get people together to do something, they want to do something else.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

whaley posted:

But then how do you smoke weed and get drunk with everyone?

Gaming with friends is an incredibly low bar to clear. If the game can't hold up if you're not playing in the same room with people, perhaps the game itself has some serious design flaws. :colbert:

I mean geez Mario kart made the online transition fine as did everything else including Pokémon. Online gaming has been a real thing for around 20 years now and it's not going away. I mean are people lamenting that they can't trade pokemon in person anymore and most people use the GTS?

They're still giving you the option for local multiplayer, but the majority of the people are probably going to play online because it's a matter of convenience.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The Taint Reaper posted:

Online gaming has been a real thing for around 20 years now and it's not going away.

Or about 5, if you're Nintendo.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Why would a grown adult be playing Smash Brothers. It's mechanics are about as deep as a children's play pool.

Didn't a bunch of greasy Smash nerds force some 8 year old to give up his grand prize of a tournament because he "cheated" by using items even though it was in the rules?

smash brothers players aren't grown adults :ssh:

for real though, nintendo makes good games but they are really really bad at selling consoles, minus the time they struck oil based on complete random chance.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

smash brothers players aren't grown adults :ssh:

Have you seen that huge smash documentary on youtube? Those are all adults in it, I personally know one of the more harmless ones.

Its not just Smash though, Nintendo games attract and odd sort of people, look at Mario Kart, the community treats it like Gran Turismo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Alteisen posted:

Its not just Smash though, Nintendo games attract and odd sort of people, look at Mario Kart, the community treats it like Gran Turismo.

They're the bronies of the videogames.

What's even worse are the ones who didn't grow up with the NES and treat every game on it like it's solid gold. Although it can be entertaining to try and see them justify stuff like Dino Riki as some sort of classic that modern games cannot even hope to amount to.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

blackguy32 posted:

Considering that you need the hardware for 4 people and it is a system that not very many people have, im not sure. But I think the point he is making is that in this day in age, it is easily much more convenient to simply play it online.

I have my own place and have no wife or kids, and it is still pretty hard to organize that kind of stuff. I don't have the controllers and buying some for very rare occasions is a waste, people have busy schedules that makes organizing these things a mess, and usually when I can get people together to do something, they want to do something else.

If the discussion is about online, both versions do it. And yes, there are far more 3DS owners than Wii U owners (though that doesn't necessarily mean every Smash player owns a 3DS or will purchase a 3DS over a Wii U to get their Smash fix).

If the discussion is about local multiplayer, which is what I thought it was, it's inconceivable that people are going to prefer doing four play 3DS in a house over four player Wii U on a TV.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If the discussion is about local multiplayer, which is what I thought it was, it's inconceivable that people are going to prefer doing four play 3DS in a house over four player Wii U on a TV.

In Japan it's normal to play 4 people in a single room with everyone holding their 3DS. This is what they did with Monster Hunter 3 and 4. I don't see why you think this is so weird or odd just because you yourself may have never done it before.

In America online is probably going to take the majority of people because online gaming is very big in America.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

yeah so it's easy to throw on and play a bit when smoking weed and getting drunk with everyone

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Just go to a bar or something to get drunk. Maybe go to a bar where they also serve food and make a night of it?

Do you really need a videogame as an excuse to get drunk? A grown adult can just drink for the sake of drinking, you don't need an excuse.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Taint Reaper posted:

In Japan it's normal to play 4 people in a single room with everyone holding their 3DS. This is what they did with Monster Hunter 3 and 4. I don't see why you think this is so weird or odd just because you yourself may have never done it before.

In America online is probably going to take the majority of people because online gaming is very big in America.

Japan is loving weird

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TheScott2K posted:

Japan is loving weird

Yeah I know they designed a videogame system called the Wii-U.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Taint Reaper posted:

They also have these horrible things called friend codes which are more archaic than 56k dial-up.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The Taint Reaper posted:

Don't video game systems normally have video games on them?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The Taint Reaper posted:

Just go to a bar or something to get drunk. Maybe go to a bar where they also serve food and make a night of it?

Do you really need a videogame as an excuse to get drunk? A grown adult can just drink for the sake of drinking, you don't need an excuse.

Most of my friends would rather simply go to a bar and drink than play videogames and drink. But then again, a lot of my friends aren't really into gaming that much.

As for the Smash Bros 3ds vs Wii U thing, most will probably go for whatever is more convenient and cheaper in the long run. Most people probably won't have a Wii U and the Controller Pro is pretty expensive. But I guess I am weird, I play my PSP and my DS mostly at home. Even when I did my multiplayer gaming on them it was usually within the confines of my own home, even if someone was playing on the same couch as me.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I heard Japanese gamers all brush their teeth with the same brush, and Baby Daisy is banned from the underground Mariokart tournaments they have there because she's OP. SpoooOOOOOOooooooky.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

In Japan?

When did we care about how things were going on in Japan in this thread?

Also, we've never had a situation where Nintendo is releasing a major title on both console and handheld. We don't know how where people will go, or if 3DS is gimped, or if even Wii U is gimped.

Also, yeah I've always considered Smash to be more a title aimed towards adult Nintendo players. Hence appearances by Solid Snake and Mega Man. Mega Man might have once been for kids and newer titles might still be aimed towards them but it's definitely about having him in Smash for those who played Mega Man on NES.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I have never seriously played any version of Smash Brothers. Far as I know, none of my friends have either. I am probably a bit on the old side for that craze, as the last fighting game I put any time in on was Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast.

Once I think about it, I am just an atypical former Nintendo fanboy because I have literally never played Pokemon or Mario Party either.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Why would a grown adult be playing Smash Brothersvideo games.

Barons, this is a really good point.

That aside, my friends and I will probably play it drunkenly for nostalgia, socially. It certainly won't be a system seller except to the kids who already own a Wii U.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

In Japan?

Sales figures, since people are hoping against hope that the PS4 doesn't crush it over there like it did in Europe.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I got a bunch of WalMart gift cards from relatives for Christmas, sobI figured I'd pickup a WiiU because why the hell not, but all five local WalMarts were sold out. What is going on? Is it actually selling now?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I got a bunch of WalMart gift cards from relatives for Christmas, sobI figured I'd pickup a WiiU because why the hell not, but all five local WalMarts were sold out. What is going on? Is it actually selling now?

They ship stock back that didn't sell over the holidays to their warehouses.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Sold Out and Not in Stock aren't the same thing.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Sold Out and Not in Stock aren't the same thing.

I realize that. They are sold out. It was marked down by $50 for boxing week.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 31, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mayodreams posted:

I have never seriously played any version of Smash Brothers. Far as I know, none of my friends have either. I am probably a bit on the old side for that craze, as the last fighting game I put any time in on was Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast.

Once I think about it, I am just an atypical former Nintendo fanboy because I have literally never played Pokemon or Mario Party either.

I'm like this too actually, Pokemon and Mario Party remain the two Nintendo series I've never touched. Mario Party just doesn't interest me, and by the time I was at a point where I might have wanted to try Pokemon I had already been exposed to Megami Tensei games so the same thing but with a simpler system no ultra violence in the story and no rad as hell music made me never bother.

I'm also not big into Smash Bros. I actually have played them all and they're fun but I never had a regular group of friends where we were all into it like we were with (like you say) Dreamcast Soul Calibur, a King of Fighters game or even original Halo, like a lot of games the single player can only keep you occupied for so long.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I realize that. They are sold out. It was marked down by $50 for boxing week.

The December sales figures should be interesting.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm like this too actually, Pokemon and Mario Party remain the two Nintendo series I've never touched. Mario Party just doesn't interest me, and by the time I was at a point where I might have wanted to try Pokemon I had already been exposed to Megami Tensei games so the same thing but with a simpler system no ultra violence in the story and no rad as hell music made me never bother.

I love the SMT games to death but Pokemons battle system has far more depth to it.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

hubris.height posted:

That aside, my friends and I will probably play it drunkenly for nostalgia, socially. It certainly won't be a system seller except to the kids who already own a Wii U.

Actually it sounds like you are using the game as an excuse to take drugs.

whaley fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 31, 2013

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Smash is an amazing game for groups since it's made to build up a ton of hype regardless of how good the players are (item drops, the KO system, goofy stage mechanics, etc.). It's a game to play loud and rowdy with, and drinking just enhances those kinds of games.

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's not an excuse to drink, it's just really fun? I don't get how this is confusing for anyone.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Ohtsam posted:

I love the SMT games to death but Pokemons battle system has far more depth to it.

Is this for real?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
^^^^^^^^^
SMT4 has no PVP.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

In Japan?

Some of us live in Japan thank you very much

ばか外人:colbert:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

NeilPerry posted:

^^^^^^^^^
SMT4 has no PVP.

Some of us live in Japan thank you very much

ばか外人:colbert:

Caring about Japan is why Metroid: Other M exists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is this for real?

It isn't actually wrong although it sounds ridiculous on the surface.

The Pokemon battle system had a lot of weird esoteric mechanics and interactions and gimmicks to it and it actually makes it a fairly complex system if you're the kind of person who sits down and spades everything out instead of just using your favorite shiny toy to beat up other shiny toys. There are lots of weird mechanics, various kinds of gimmick battles, most Pokemon have their own unique gimmicks or abilities and in general it's filled with lots of weird poo poo 99% of players won't bother with because they only matter to people who are willing to dedicated hundreds of hours to beating other people in cartoon cockfights.

In comparison SMT is much simpler with straightforward elemental interactions + buffs/debuffs and a few gimmick attacks and with higher level monsters being similar to lower level monsters but with better stats and different elemental weaknesses. It's a much more simplistic system, probably because they don't have any pretentions towards ~competitive battles.~

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 31, 2013

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Is there any particular reason why neither wii classic controller works with the WiiU virtual console, or am I reading this wrong.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ka0 posted:

Is there any particular reason why neither wii classic controller works with the WiiU virtual console, or am I reading this wrong.

They should work fine?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They should work fine?

Yeah, I thought all Wii peripherals worked with WiiU.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Ah OK then, I misunderstood the first post in the Wii U thread.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

This part in special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ka0 posted:

This part in special

Yeah, that's the Wii U pro controller that can't be used for anything in Wii Mode, but works for the VC that's on the Wii U. Classic controllers are completely fine for use in both Wii U VC and Wii Mode games

deadwing fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 31, 2013

• Locked thread