Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TWBalls posted:

This would probably be the best thing to happen for him. Not sure of the laws in Canada, but at least in the US, if you're fired, you can get Unemployment Benefits. At the very least, he'd finally be out of that poo poo hole.

Not if they can find a reason to claim you were fired for cause, which probably includes "willfully (in their eyes) disobeying company policy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Docjowles posted:

Not if they can find a reason to claim you were fired for cause, which probably includes "willfully (in their eyes) disobeying company policy".

With as much shady poo poo that's going on there, I doubt they're going to try something like that and possibly bring any attention to themselves. At any rate, at least he wouldn't be the whipping boy at that insufferable job anymore.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Does Canada have any regulations for a hostile work environment? Because I would love to see a poo poo load of documents/audit trails/emails come forth and basically say you guys fire all of your middle management blackswordca. Or you know try to rake in any cash for the damage to your liver after dealing with them for so long.

I say gently caress them all, take them down with you via scorched earth.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Don't make fun of bread Wang. He's our lab engineer! :v:

First thing that came to mind:

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Langolas posted:

Does Canada have any regulations for a hostile work environment? Because I would love to see a poo poo load of documents/audit trails/emails come forth and basically say you guys fire all of your middle management blackswordca. Or you know try to rake in any cash for the damage to your liver after dealing with them for so long.

I say gently caress them all, take them down with you via scorched earth.
I'm not a lawyer and I don't know poo poo about Canada. But "coworkers are mean to me and unreasonable a lot" is not a valid component of a hostile work environment as a legal term. If the job is really stressful, then he(she?) probably qualifies for a stress leave and should look for another job. But it's not legally actionable to be a jerk who is hard to work with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's more than that though isn't it? This is line managers being purposely hostile and dumping blame where it isn't due, as well as a company culture that seems to reward loving up and punishes anyone who tries to find out why things went wrong (e.g. not auditing).

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lum posted:

First thing that came to mind:

Puppy Wang? :3:

We now have a Mailer Wang. Special was let go but Merlin and Magic Wang are still with the company as well as saffron poon.

If I ever have to travel to Asia and meet them for work I am not going to be able to completely stifle a chuckle.

Edit:vvvv :golfclap:

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 31, 2013

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

No, it's a science lab!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blackswordca posted:

So an email argument came in:

Account Lead: Why didn't you do ticket : X? It was due on the 16th
Me: I don't remember seeing that ticket before, let me look it up. Looks like it was on the board for <a different client> until the 28th when you moved it to the correct board
Account Lead: No, it was always on the right board, you screwed up.
Me: <copy pastes audit trail> no, it was on the other board until the 28th, you moved it, escalated the priority today and emailed me from the ticket
Account Lead: Get it done NOW!

The ticket in question is technically his job. Basically a user count for our accounting department to make sure were charging them enough

What would happen if you said "OK" and then did nothing?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well I'm assuming the account lead wouldn't be able to use the email chain as evidence

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Caged posted:

Well I'm assuming the account lead wouldn't be able to use the email chain as evidence

Evidence doesn't matter, that company's mission statement is "gently caress off, blame blacksword"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

A panicky phone call came in! Our org estranged c-level called me to purge out a email he sent to his lawyer.......

....which was actually sent to our sales team :stare:. I had to search-mailbox -delete in every mailbox in sales(which was only 8 people). But It was pretty great catching someone forwarding the email to their gmail account.

The funny thing though, I know what exactly happen though without them telling me. The message was sent in apple native mail client (which is comically a bad ideal™) and forgot to select the account to send from.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 31, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Docjowles posted:

While we're talking about Indian names, I just noticed that the support case we opened recently with NetApp was handled by a tech named Ravi Shankar :stare:

(TLDR, hugely famous Indian musician, worked with the Beatles, etc)
There's also a dude that shares the name David Gilmour where I work. Can't help but think spacey tunes and thoughts when his e-mails go around.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

incoherent posted:

A panicky phone call came in! Our org estranged c-level called me to purge out a email he sent to his lawyer.......

....which was actually sent to our sales team :stare:. I had to search-mailbox -delete in every mailbox in sales(which was only 8 people). But It was pretty great catching someone forwarding the email to their gmail account.

The funny thing though, I know what exactly happen though without them telling me. The message was sent in apple native mail client (which is comically a bad ideal™) and forgot to select the account to send from.

How wrinkly was his scrotum in the dick pic he had you erase?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Kachunkachunk posted:

There's also a dude that shares the name David Gilmour where I work. Can't help but think spacey tunes and thoughts when his e-mails go around.

We have someone working for us who worked on some popular MTV movies. For privacy sake I'm not going to mention the name of the show, but it's amazing to see that his role on the movies and his role with the company are 2 completely different things. One hell of a hobby.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Migishu posted:

We have someone working for us who worked on some popular MTV movies. For privacy sake I'm not going to mention the name of the show, but it's amazing to see that his role on the movies and his role with the company are 2 completely different things. One hell of a hobby.

MTV has movies??? I knew that they were mostly tv shows now but do they even play any music at all anymore?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Migishu posted:

It's Johnny Knoxville, isn't it?

Trastion posted:

MTV has movies??? I knew that they were mostly tv shows now but do they even play any music at all anymore?

They have a movie studio.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Trastion posted:

I think the music stopped 5 years ago.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Caged posted:

It's more than that though isn't it? This is line managers being purposely hostile and dumping blame where it isn't due, as well as a company culture that seems to reward loving up and punishes anyone who tries to find out why things went wrong (e.g. not auditing).

Yep from what I see, his superiors are causing undue stress from their negligence and/or potentially malicious actions taken and throwing blame at blackswordca. If he was in the states, he would have the makings for potential actionable HWE issues.

Keep documenting and check the Canada laws just to cover your own rear end (I assume you've been doing this anyways blackswordca). Catch those bastards

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Lum posted:

No, it's a science lab!

Goddamn it Lum.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Kachunkachunk posted:

There's a David Mason at my office, every time he sends an email it triggers this in me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utl0NfisZQE

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

There's a David Mason at my office, every time he sends an email it triggers this in me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utl0NfisZQE

For me it would've been https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_FOQ7-P30

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

So a ticket didn't come in today... and I'm bored to tears. I did have a long time customer call me directly for some issues that we don't fully support... but I had nothing better to do. Also talked some Texas BBQ which makes me want to book a flight to Austin.

Anyone else stuck at work today and wanting shove an icepick through their skull from boredom?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Langolas posted:

So a ticket didn't come in today... and I'm bored to tears. I did have a long time customer call me directly for some issues that we don't fully support... but I had nothing better to do. Also talked some Texas BBQ which makes me want to book a flight to Austin.

Anyone else stuck at work today and wanting shove an icepick through their skull from boredom?

Yes.

And tomorrow is going to be worse.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Yes.

And tomorrow is going to be worse.

I took 1st-6th off for this very reason. However today I have taken one call and it's because she went out and bought a different printer than the one we mailed her because she didn't like how it looked on her desk.....

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Langolas posted:

Me. Thankfully we're off tomorrow, though I'm covering on-call for New Years as I think I'm the only one in the dept. that neither drinks nor has kids.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm being sent to training for all of next week :dance:

Windows 2012 R2 stuff. 5 days, 8 hours a day. It's nice to get training vouchers.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I'm being sent to training for all of next week :dance:

Windows 2012 R2 stuff. 5 days, 8 hours a day. It's nice to get training vouchers.

gently caress you.

I'm stagnating because my company and it's customers won't move beyond Server 2003 and Windows XP.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Langolas posted:

I did have a long time customer call me directly for some issues that we don't fully support... but I had nothing better to do.
Congratulations on volunteering to be the one this customer will now ALWAYS calls when a similar situation arises.

2014!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lum posted:

gently caress you.

I'm stagnating because my company and it's customers won't move beyond Server 2003 and Windows XP.

Yeah, that blows. That poo poo is gonna be EOL pretty drat quick, so good luck cleaning viruses when the patches stop. We're lucky in that our small manufacturing company keeps pretty current. 2014 itself is busy as poo poo - upgrading DCs to 2012 R2, upgrading Exchange to 2013, and Sharepoint to 2013. Luckily we just contract that work out to people who've done it a dozen times.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, that blows. That poo poo is gonna be EOL pretty drat quick, so good luck cleaning viruses when the patches stop. We're lucky in that our small manufacturing company keeps pretty current. 2014 itself is busy as poo poo - upgrading DCs to 2012 R2, upgrading Exchange to 2013, and Sharepoint to 2013. Luckily we just contract that work out to people who've done it a dozen times.

Microsoft is actually going to follow through this time? I'm assuming that there's "pay us obscene sacks of money for continuing patches" support being offered for large customers though, right?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Lum posted:

gently caress you.

4 months of progress, moving out of the land of the one off broke as poo poo software and into the land of citrix hosted apps so hopefully the rest move quicker.

The servers are another matter entirely, bosslady has been ignoring all prodding to get the domain off of 2003 and onto at least 2008 r2 but we're starting to run into issues with keeping DFS at 2003 functional so now we have a need we can demonstrate at least.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Volmarias posted:

Microsoft is actually going to follow through this time? I'm assuming that there's "pay us obscene sacks of money for continuing patches" support being offered for large customers though, right?

Heh, I just saw our quote for extended support today: for a six month reprieve, it came in in the high six figures, plus a 50k "fee" per hotfix.

I doubt we're actually gonna pay that much for the privilege of continuing to use a ten year old OS, but if nothing else it'll be fun to wave in the faces of certain people around here who think their apps are important enough to warrant staying on XP. Yeah, nnnnnnnnope!

So who else is a professional "noyoucan'thaveXP-sayer" for the next six months? :toot:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
WindowsXP is running a kernel that is almost as old as kernel 2.4.0. :stare: I can't imagine the horrible mess that thing is now with all the patches thrown on top of it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ratbert90 posted:

WindowsXP is running a kernel that is almost as old as kernel 2.4.0. :stare: I can't imagine the horrible mess that thing is now with all the patches thrown on top of it.

You're confused, the kernel changed significantly for SP2 and to lesser amounts for SP3.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The impending death of XP/2003 makes me very, very happy.

The fact that there will still be millions of zombie XP machines well beyond end of life makes me very, very sad.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I had to work today. Started a 6:45 was going to leave around 3:30-4 because of snow. I normally work 10s so no big deal to work these hours. Then, 3pm rolls around, and poo poo hit the fan, our office took ~420 calls in an hour and a half, there were 6 of us working. I'm now finally leaving the office at 6pm. I have a party that I'm throwing that starts in 2 hours, it will take me at least that long to get home.

Bad scotch that has been sitting in my apartment forever, you will get drank tonight, and you will like it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Volmarias posted:

How wrinkly was his scrotum in the dick pic he had you erase?

I wish it was a goddamn picture. The email contents (from what I relayed, I really didn't want to read it to keep myself out of the politics) used the words "insolvent" and "lawsuits" and "equity firms".

For the man who started the goddamn place, he never really trusted the infrastructure. I would of been a million times easier to clean this up if he just sent it from his ACUTAL work email instead of his private one back to the company.

Let me tell you what, he believed in the power of exchange 2010 right then and there.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

hihifellow posted:

4 months of progress, moving out of the land of the one off broke as poo poo software and into the land of citrix hosted apps so hopefully the rest move quicker.

The servers are another matter entirely, bosslady has been ignoring all prodding to get the domain off of 2003 and onto at least 2008 r2 but we're starting to run into issues with keeping DFS at 2003 functional so now we have a need we can demonstrate at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMU5x3--h4E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Reminder to install the Windows XP EOL widget

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11662

On your bosses computer.

• Locked thread