Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Shoehead posted:

I remember this happening with Skyrim and goons and the Skyrim Nexus poo poo their pants over it.

Gate-Gate. :patriot: Best thing to happen to the Skyrim mods thread (or was it the Bad Skyrim Mods thread? I can't recall exactly).

And while arguing with Nexus Spergs about Gate-Gate was hilarious I don't think anyone wants to really see the argument played out in here. There's a "Bad Mods" thread somewhere here in Games (I think it's still around) that that discussion can be moved to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I set up a multiple layered greenhouse/farm on my 'home' planet next to my boss fight arena, I found it was more convenient to grow plants on my ship though as they'll always be growing when you're doing anything else and you don't need to wait around for them.

Banana bread is my go to food as an Apex, gives me long health regen and move speed buffs for 2 wheat and 1 banana - both of which grow pretty quick.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I think the reason for all the mod outcry is because eventually people want to put their mods behind a bit.ly link so they can make those MAD DUCKETS modifying games.

ONLY reason I could think of. I mean it's like the core reason there is so much bull to Minecraft mods... so the mentality would follow suite.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

karl fungus posted:

Holy poo poo this game is amazing. :stare:

So I've been exploring the local system and farming trees to turn into coal for starship fuel, but I'm not really sure how to feed myself. There's hunting, but I really want to get into farming. How can I best make use of my potato seeds? Like, how long am I supposed to wait?

What is your best option for very early farming. Wheat grows pretty fast, makes plant fibers too, and bread is filling and heals you. There are better foods but you always start with a few wheat seeds, making it really easy to get a bread basket going.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
What's the best type of world for planting? A forest world?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Anywhere you can find/put down dirt and bash it with a hoe, far as I know. I grow crops in my space ship.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nullEntityRNG posted:

I think the reason for all the mod outcry is because eventually people want to put their mods behind a bit.ly link so they can make those MAD DUCKETS modifying games.

That's explicitly forbidden on the official website, though. Not much you can do to stop it on Nexus, but at least Chucklefish is totally ready to nip that stupid poo poo in the bud.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MAD DUCATS being like 80 cents a week, by the way

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

OrangeSoda posted:

It was because the owner of a really good mod for skyrim went crazy in the later versions of it and started putting in his own weird badly-modeled objects in towns that looked like complete rear end. When people requested he remove them, he got angry. When someone made a mod to remove them, he threatened legal action and compared it to "defacing the mona lisa".

The less the modding community of Starbound ends up emulating Nexus the better.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

The less the modding community of Starbound ends up emulating Nexus the better.

Well, there's already pony mods and dragon dildos, so

edit: as far as i know there's no mod to turn the human woman into a 14-year-old porcelain doll so there's something at least!

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 31, 2013

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Speaking of...

Got the ship lined up and working. Still needs a lot of tweaks and I've got to start on custom fixtures, but if you want to tool around in an extremely spacious ship, go nuts here:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/logistics-frigate.768/
and let me know of any changes you'd like to see in the final release.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Prop Wash posted:

edit: as far as i know there's no mod to turn the human woman into a 14-year-old porcelain doll so there's something at least!

Give it time. Only real question is whether it'll be before or after any potential Japanese release.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah, but dragon dildos isn't on the official site. Only Nexus.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Boneboo grows super fast and makes the amazing Meat n Marrow when cooked with meat chunks. Suddenly you're both fed and need no other healing items.
IF you're a floran or otherwise found the recipe somehow.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Zereth posted:

IF you're a floran or otherwise found the recipe somehow.

This raises the question of why would you not be a floran, repeatedly noted to be the Best Race?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Because you could also be a glitch and be loved by all florans across the galaxy.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Duro posted:

I have the original 11inch Macbook Air, which has a 32-bit Core 2 Duo

That's the only thing stopping me from buying the game, but if you guys think it will run, I'll give it a go. I have 4 gigs or ram so other than the actual bits I meet all the other requirements

Core Duo was 32-bit. Core 2 Duo is 64bit. There might be some weird exception to that, but your MBA is not one:

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/36697/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-SU9400-3M-Cache-1_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB#@product/specifications

The SU9400/9600 were the processors in the 11" Air at launch. Both are 64-bit.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Floran are anti-peace and also scum, I'd tell you to commit genocide but they lack anything remotely resembling a culture so I guess it would just be weed whacking.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Devour or Fire posted:

Floran are anti-peace and also scum, I'd tell you to commit genocide but they lack anything remotely resembling a culture so I guess it would just be weed whacking.
You take that back, I may not have played a Floran yet but the one who ate my arm told me that's how they let you know you are their best friend. Why would they lie to me :downs:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Devour or Fire posted:

Feindfeuer posted:

Because you could also be a glitch and be loved by all florans across the galaxy.
:hfive:

Be Glitch erryday

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Feindfeuer posted:

Florans can't eat the robots.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

FrancoFish posted:

Florans can't eat the robots.

:thejoke:

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Does anyone know if it's possible to mod in enemies or NPCs yet? If they're all procedurally generated I'm not sure if there's scope for making our own.

I'd like to make this mockup a reality:

(also I need to improve my pixel art)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ablative posted:

This raises the question of why would you not be a floran, repeatedly noted to be the Best Race?
Because avians are hella cuties. :3:

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Does anyone else have the issue where once a seed is planted and harvested, nothing grows again on that particular spot?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Morning posted:

Does anyone else have the issue where once a seed is planted and harvested, nothing grows again on that particular spot?

Did you somehow remove the top dirt layer? If so you need to hit it with your hoe again. Also you need to replant the seed if that is not obvious. When you harvest you get both the food item and the seed back.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

shymog posted:

Core Duo was 32-bit. Core 2 Duo is 64bit. There might be some weird exception to that, but your MBA is not one:

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/36697/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-SU9400-3M-Cache-1_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB#@product/specifications

The SU9400/9600 were the processors in the 11" Air at launch. Both are 64-bit.

Well, I guess you learn something new every day. Off to download the game then! Thanks for the help

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Trastion posted:

Did you somehow remove the top dirt layer? If so you need to hit it with your hoe again. Also you need to replant the seed if that is not obvious. When you harvest you get both the food item and the seed back.

Nope, I haven't lost the dirt layer prepped by the hoe and I do replant the seeds :smith:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Morning posted:

Nope, I haven't lost the dirt layer prepped by the hoe and I do replant the seeds :smith:
What exactly are you growing? It's possible it's just a very slow growth.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

What exactly are you growing? It's possible it's just a very slow growth.

Isn't there also a thing where crop seeds only grow when that level chunk is loaded?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

BigLeafyTree posted:

Isn't there also a thing where crop seeds only grow when that level chunk is loaded?

Yeah I think they may grow slower when your not on the planet or something because i have actively farmed my farm and things grow pretty well. But I have also left and come back and nothing had grown very much but then came back hours later and everything was ready.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

IronicDongz posted:

Because avians are hella cuties. :3:

Oh cool, I'm not the only person who chose avians because they're adorable. I really don't care about anything else in a character.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The only thing better would be playing actual birds. :v:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Avians are the most "grounded" and sensible of all the races, plus they have the cutest respawn animation.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Before the beta came out, I figured I wouldn't be able to pick a race because they all looked appealing.
Now that the game's out I realize I was right: every race is fun to play as. Even humans, who I figured would be the most boring, milquetoast choice possible ended up being fun because their descriptions make everything seem so exciting and amazing and high tech! Most of the races are unbearably cute, even those not trying to be, and the flavor text adds so much character to the game.
I guess the Hylotl are one of the only races I'm not 100% on, because it kind of feels bad being universally hated (even moreso if you apparently deserve it).

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!
Once I dressed my Avian character up in that black bandana enemies sometimes drop and one of those Cool Jackets or whatever, I was forever sold on making biker Avians until I stop playing. I can't think of a more appealing character and thus will never try.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Why is copper so rare? I have loads and loads of iron and silver and even gold, but very little copper.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

karl fungus posted:

Why is copper so rare? I have loads and loads of iron and silver and even gold, but very little copper.

I've noticed this too. Copper seems to be the rarest ore on starting planets, and is always the thing that takes the longest to build up when I'm trying to upgrade my armor.

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold
Good to see they're finally adding the function to rebind keys. It was super weird to be playing this game with WASD and realize there was no way to rebind it for my left handed-ness. Like every time I tried to play it was a reminder "dude, you're kind of crippled."

I've been avoiding playing it until I can switch the movement to the arrow keys. It was just too awkward trying to jump out of caves being chased by monsters and basically mashing the keyboard like I've got hook hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

Avians are the most "grounded" and sensible of all the races, plus they have the cutest respawn animation.

:monocle:

As has already been said, Avians are by far the cutest. Add to that the fact that I randomly generated the name Beakbeak (Later I also got Birdbird), and I'm sold.

• Locked thread